PDA

View Full Version : 3000pts Wood Elves - Advice wanted

Alathir
21-08-2006, 11:37
I'm taking on a skaven opponent soon in a 3000 point battle, here is a quick list I wrote up. Any advice is much appreciated.

Lords:
Highborn = 560
- Rides a Forest Dragon +320
- Callach’s Claw +25
- Wraithstone +50
- Helm of the Hunt +20
Spellweaver = 335
- Wand of Wych Elm +55
- Stone of Crystal Mere +30
- Lvl 4 +35

Heroes:
Spellsinger = 187
- Dispel Scroll +25
- Dispel Scroll +25
- Rides an Elven Steed +12
- Lvl 2 +35
Spellsinger = 187
- Starfire Arrows +25
- Rides an Elven Steed
- Lvl 2 +35
Noble = 240
- Battle Standard Bearer +15
- Banner of Ariel +100

Core:
Glade Guard x 12 = 144
Glade Guard x 12 = 144
Glade Guard x 12 = 144
Dryads x 12 = 144
Glade Riders x 5 = 138
- Standard Bearer +18
Eternal Guard x 20 = 295
- Full Command +30
- War Banner +25
- Led by a Noble

Special:
Wild Riders x 6 = 242
- Wild Hunter +18
- Banner of Dwindling +50

Rare:
Treeman x 1 = 285

StormCrow
21-08-2006, 13:20
noble can't have a magic banner and spites you boon!

and i'd probably take more dryads over glade guard and eternal guard...they deal out the mad damage

Sinew
22-08-2006, 11:26
For any army containing a Dragon it's important to support it with units that can also reach the enemy fast. You have 1 unit of cavalry and no other flyers, which I think will mean that units can turn to face the Dragon when it appears on the flank and the battle line will be fairly safe. If you had more fast units you could ensure that any units that turned were also threatened from the front as well. That would give you a better chance of routing his line. Also some warhawks or an eagle would do well against the Warp Lightning cannons and Jezzails which will otherwise make life hard for your dragon rider.

In addition, I think Eternal Guard do best with a frontage of 6, which makes 18 with a War Banner a nice unit. They kick out an obscene number of attacks and still have +4 combat res (+2 ranks, +1 standard, +1 war banner) and the possibility to contest outnumber. I'd also spread the dispel scrolls so they're one on each spellsinger - stops you losing all your scrolls to an unfortunate mishap.

You weren't tempted by the Dragon/Treeman ancient combo then?

Alathir
22-08-2006, 15:25
Interesting ideas.

I hadn't considered Eternal guard with a 6 frontage, that could be quite nice. That's... 18 attacks if they're all standard eternal guard.

I did consider a Treeman Ancient and dragon combo... but I fear my magic may suffer a bit.

I don't have much experience with Eagles... or Flyers in general for that matter... but I am definitely tempted

god octo
22-08-2006, 16:06
i would agree with sinew. To pull off a dragon rider, you need other troops able to rush forward and pose a threat, or your opponent will just kill him off and then confront the rest of your line. With the bsb, i wouldnt bother with the banner of ariel, giving him:

137-bsb w/ light armour, annoyance of netlings and sword of might.

This means he can do a bit of killing in your eternal guard, and be protected.

Sinew
23-08-2006, 10:01
I hadn't considered Eternal guard with a 6 frontage, that could be quite nice. That's... 18 attacks if they're all standard eternal guard.Lovely ain't it? I have been toying with just such a unit led by a noble with a Great Weapon and the Amber Pendant (I think - working from membory) which will make some of the enemy front rank strike last. With a champion to ward off challanges my Noble should be safe and my unit reliably stubborn.

I did consider a Treeman Ancient and dragon combo... but I fear my magic may suffer a bit.True, but it's just so NASTY!

I don't have much experience with Eagles... or Flyers in general for that matter... but I am definitely temptedI can definitely recommend Great Eagles. They're the only really cheap unit WE have got. I have used them for march blocking, war machine hunting, and even (shamelessly) just sitting right in front of an enemy unit forcing him to charge it. Bad for the Eagle but helps get flank charges off. Also if you can land flyers close to enemy units and pull off combined charges it stops the enemy from fleeing because the flyer will run them down!

I can't say I've had the same success with Warhawk riders but recently I've been more keen to give them another try. They're incredibly maneuverable and their 360 charge arc makes them great for harrassment.