PDA

View Full Version : Choosing more then one weapon for characters?

Goldengroove
21-08-2006, 15:56
SO HERE'S the deal...
After hearing about great weapons always striking last on a mount even with an item that says you can always strike first, (or is it you can't have a great weapon while mounted at all?), I'm not really sure about that for 7th edition, but it's not really important anyway, my Chaos Lord was in need of a haul-over, (yeah, so I had a great weapon with helm of eyes on a Chaos steed!)

Annnnnnnnnyway, my point is, can I choose a mundane weapon as well as a magical one? I see nothing which points against this. For instance, could I choose a Great Weapon and say a +1 strength magic sword? That's not the combo I had in mind, but is it allowed?

Also, if it is, it dawned on me that you then actually have 3 choices of attack, Great weapon, +1 Strength sword or hand weapon and shield for a +1 armour save! Is this bedlam true?!

Thanks in advance, and oh boy am I praying the answer's yes...

x

Festus
21-08-2006, 16:12
Hi

In 6th, if you have a magic weapon, you must use it. You may not use a mundane on ein preference as long as the magic one is still there.

I doubt that this is cahnged in 7th, although I am not sure, yet.

Festus

T10
21-08-2006, 18:24
The exception is of course magical missile weapons, but that shouldn't be an issue in a Chaos army...

-T10

Hagge
22-08-2006, 02:00
I think the rule for great weapons on mounted charachters/troops in 7th ed is +1 S strike last i may be wrong.

Its states somewhere in the rule that all Models come with a hand weapon in adition to any other weapon. So a hero isnt left high and dry when his magic weapon is blow up by some magic eating property

Either way a Magical property of an item that states you always strike first in close cobat wont make a differance what weapon you were carrying unless the property its self was from a magic weapon in which case you would have to use that weapon to gain the ability to strike first. you can only use one weapon for all attacks in HtH is the way we play it unless you have an additional hand weapon/pistol(onfoot) and the aditional attack is rolled seperatly useually with a different coloured die.

TheWarSmith
22-08-2006, 07:37
you are not allowed to have an additional hand weapon if you took a magic weapon.

Great weapons are indeed only +1S/strike last while mounted(go halberd), but I've heard nothing about the "strike first" rule(which is being standardized) not working on great weapons.

Avian
22-08-2006, 08:13
In 6th, if you have a magic weapon, you must use it. You may not use a mundane on ein preference as long as the magic one is still there.

I doubt that this is cahnged in 7th, although I am not sure, yet.
I checked and I can't remember any change to this rule, so it's the same as in 6th edition.

Kotobuki
23-08-2006, 15:43
Do you happen to have a page reference I can use to look that up? I know the combining magic/mundane weapons in a Bretonnian army is covered in thier ArmyBook specifically, but It'd be nice to see with my eyes a rule that I (obviously) missed.

Gorbad Ironclaw
24-08-2006, 06:27
It's in the magic section, under magic items/magic weapons. Shouldn't be to hard to find.

mageith
24-08-2006, 13:50
In case page 152 isn't perfectly clear....

Gav's comments: " RE: [WHFB] Please Clarify Magic Weapon Use . . . . (15 Replies). GW Gav Thorpe[]. 8/9/2002 12:08 (8/10/2002 9:28) A character with a functioning magic weapon must use that. Imagine: Lord Daxschund felt a thrill of excitement as he spurred his mount to the charge. In his hand, the fabled Runefang pulsed with unearthly light, bathing the Elector Count in a ruddy glow. Handed down from generation to generation, his badge of authority, the Runefang was a symbol of Daxschunds power, as it had been for his forefathers over twenty generations.
Hmm, thought Daxschund. Actually I will use my lance because I get +2 Strength on the charge… Cannot really see it myself. It s like a roleplayer who totally destroys any atmosphere created by shouting out, I charge the Ogre, because I get +10 against Ogres!"

Mephistofeles
24-08-2006, 17:07
you are not allowed to have an additional hand weapon if you took a magic weapon.

Great weapons are indeed only +1S/strike last while mounted(go halberd), but I've heard nothing about the "strike first" rule(which is being standardized) not working on great weapons.

Do you have a page-reference for that thing with not being able to take Additional Hand Weapons while having Magical Weapons? I would like to show it for one of my O&G friends... (Who has a VERY tooled up and nasty Black Orc Warboss)

Festus
24-08-2006, 17:34
Hi

You may buy a Magic Weapon and an additional hand weapon (if it is one of your options), but it is rather pointless to do so. As you may not use a Magic Weapon and the additional HW at the same time. As stated above, you MUST use the Magic Weapon.

You may not buy two magic weapons, as you generally only allowed to buy one item form each category (there are a few exceptions, DMS and PStones among them)...

Festus

Hagge
24-08-2006, 18:11
Ah well guess weve overlooked that rule all these years woops clarifies things. tho an aditional attack with no bonuses hasnt been a problem for us since most heros are mounted and the aditional hand weapon isnt an option on a mount (pistoliers excluded). So well probally continue to use it our way heh.

Avian
25-08-2006, 07:00
Ah well guess weve overlooked that rule all these years woops clarifies things. tho an aditional attack with no bonuses hasnt been a problem for us since most heros are mounted and the aditional hand weapon isnt an option on a mount (pistoliers excluded). So well probally continue to use it our way heh.
As a house rule allow magical "hand weapons" to be treated as hand weapons for the purpose of getting the extra save with shields and an extra attack with an additional hand weapon (without any bonuses from the magical weapon), hpoing to make magical weapons a little more interesting.

MarcoPollo
29-08-2006, 19:44
I agree here with avain. It is a shame to loose the +1 AS bonus for holding onto a mediocre (25-35 pt) magic weapon. It makes the effect of the magic weapon just a little bit diminished. I may as well try to find good magic armor or a talisman/enchanted item to compensate for this drawback. So unless a magic weapon jumps out at me, I probably wont use it given the fact that I loos the extra armor save.

ZomboCom
29-08-2006, 20:15
The real problem is that when you take points costs and effectiveness into account, almost all magic weapons pale into insignificance against a great weapon.