PDA

View Full Version : Cavalry Bases and Ranking

Mephistofeles
21-08-2006, 18:59
Hi, I have pondered about a little pesky thing for a while now, and can't seem to find a good answer. The problem is cavalry-bases and ranking in units of 20mm bases.

Here's the thing, in seventh it will be a lot more tempting to place my characters in normal units on horses for that extra horse attack, the move and the extra armour, but how will I rank this? I mean, the Cavalry-bases are 50mm long (right?) and 25mm wide (I've heard, might be 20?) so how do I rank them?

Do I have to make my own bases which will be 20 (or 25 depending on what they have to be) wide and 60 long, så that infantry can rank around it? I've heard you are allowed to put things on bigger bases, but not on smaller ones, is that correct? (seems logical)

Atrahasis
21-08-2006, 19:21
You should use a normal cavalry base (25x50mm).

It will mean that your rear ranks will be slightly (5mm) narrower than your front two ranks, but this isn't the end of the world.

IICII
IICII
IIIII
IIIIIThe diagram shows a cavalry-mounted character in a unit of18 infantry.

Mephistofeles
21-08-2006, 19:56
Well it's not really like that, right? Since normal infantry are 20*20, which would leave 10mm at the rear end of the cavalry base?

EvC
21-08-2006, 21:29
Just fudge it (Yes I'm an engineer).

Crazy Harborc
22-08-2006, 00:12
IMHO, there is a "chance" that if enough people stick a horse & rider in a foot unit, that a FAQ and or update will be out in year one to disallow a cav minie to be concealed within a foot unit. Hey it's base is bigger, the height of the mounted rider IS NOT concealed it sticks out above the height of the rest of that unit that's on foot.

Atrahasis
22-08-2006, 10:30
I doubt that. The change to allow anything up to and including US4 characters in any unit must have considered cavalry characters in infantry.

Avian
22-08-2006, 10:48
IMHO, there is a "chance" that if enough people stick a horse & rider in a foot unit, that a FAQ and or update will be out in year one to disallow a cav minie to be concealed within a foot unit. Hey it's base is bigger, the height of the mounted rider IS NOT concealed it sticks out above the height of the rest of that unit that's on foot.
Why? What is wrong with it? It looks nice and it means fewer default great weapons on characters.

When the HW+SH rule was introduced in 6th edition, to make it more attractive to field fodder infantry, did the designers go: "Oh, no, people are actually useing fodder infantry now. Let's make an errata!" ?
They did not and the rule is still there, six years later.

Why do you think they will introduce a rule and then cancel it soon after?

unheilig
22-08-2006, 13:09
is there a problem with putting a cav model on a 40x40?

Avian
22-08-2006, 14:31
is there a problem with putting a cav model on a 40x40?
You effectively save the points for two rank and file troopers, since you are taking up more space and you get a wider frontage, which is good with some magic items, but other than that, there is not much of a problem.

Heck, I'm considering mounting a cavalryman on a 40 mm square base along with two infantrymen and using that for when a goblin on a wolf wants to join an infantry unit. When he's not in the unit he'll have a separate model on the correct base.

Milgram
22-08-2006, 14:51
Heck, I'm considering mounting a cavalryman on a 40 mm square base along with two infantrymen and using that for when a goblin on a wolf wants to join an infantry unit. When he's not in the unit he'll have a separate model on the correct base.

well this is a great idea! (especially as I use many 40 and 50mm squares for my o&g infantry). what I don't like about it is, that If you put a normal infantry men next to him, it may look strange if he's between musican and the standard (where he usually stands within my troops). yes, the command may be placed wherever you want in the front rank now, but i'll put them where I like them. :)

Festus
23-08-2006, 08:18
Hi

another problem: You make the space needed smaller by 5mm, which may not sound much, but actually is a quarter of a trooper's base...

Festus

Milgram
23-08-2006, 08:34
yes: when charged from the flanc, the unit is counting as actually 5mm longer, which CAN cause an additional unit to attack - imagine 3 khemri chariots in the flank of a unit with two ranks and a cavallry hero. this will allow all 3 chariots to attack, even if they are not in direct base to base contact with the mounted hero.

when charged into the front, the same thing may happen. well... this is a really uncommon situation and I think if this ever happens, we could start to discuss the topic.

on tournaments, this is as usual a no go.

Mephistofeles
23-08-2006, 13:54
So, you are rules-wise allowed to put models on bases of any size, as long as it is bigger then the base the model has to have?

mageith
23-08-2006, 14:34
So, you are rules-wise allowed to put models on bases of any size, as long as it is bigger then the base the model has to have?
There is no rule.

There is a base-size chart that was never published in the USA and I've never read the article that went with it or even if there was one. It implies (or apparently many folks infer) that only the bases listed can be used.

Gav commented on it here. Note the underlined part I added:

BASE CHART: The chart was written bearing in mind what things should be based on, rather than what they were put on in the past. The first Unicorn to be released for 6th ed will be the Fey Enchantress, and the stats on the ref card are based on that, and will be the same ones when the Wood Elves are released.

Except for the small bit of extra frontage, base size has no direct effect on game rules – generally large monsters are on 50mm+ bases, but we also put models we expect people will field with cavalry units on 50mm bases because it ranks up better.

I remember when all monsters were on 40mm bases. Anyways…

There probably are a couple of errors that have crept in, despite numerous eyes going crossed checking and re-checking, and if that s the case we will print any amendments in the future.

GAV

SuperBeast
25-08-2006, 15:35
The base size/unit definition list is the last page in the WFB 7th edition rulebook.

So differing base size is now in the realm of opponent's permission.