PDA

View Full Version : A few rule questions.

PelsBoble
21-06-2005, 13:55
Hi there.

Ok so i have some rules questions.

1. Concerning warmachine crew. Last night i played a game where my furies charged a cannon crew. They came in from an angle and my opponent lined up his crew after this angle so that i would nto be able to overrun into the next warmachine. Is there any rules concernign how you line up your crew men if the chargers comes from an angle?

2. Just a quick question about the staff of sorcery (gives +1 to all dispell rolls of the wizard). Does this only count when a spell is casted towards him or the unit hes with?

3. the Spelleater shield allows me to roll a d6 every time a spell is casted on the bearer and potenially destroy the spell. But does this ability count if the spell is casted vs the unit hes with and not specifically the bearer?

4. Concerning a cannonball shot. If the cannonball travels through a unit (killing 1 man in each rank), can it travel to a unit which stands directly behind and in the cannonballs way?

peteratwar
21-06-2005, 14:04
Normally when you charge you come in at the front. Flank/rear charges only if you are in those zones. So when you say at an angle please clarify.

All dispels he attempts

Been argued about many times no clear consensus as to which. Personally if it is a spell causing damage to unit he is in there fore possibly to himself then I would say yes

Canon ball flies the whole range thrown for. If a second regt is included then it too suffers.

Zeb
21-06-2005, 14:11
Concerning Warmachines: They rank up as skimrishers so IIRC, you move the closest model and line up against his closest model. Then he moves his troops to BtB, and then you move the rest of your unit.
But check the BRB for clarifications on skimrishers so you are safe. ;)

I think all other questions are covered.

PelsBoble
21-06-2005, 14:27
Thx for fast replies

Normally when you charge you come in at the front. Flank/rear charges only if you are in those zones. So when you say at an angle please clarify.

All dispels he attempts

Well my furies came from the flank so i thought he would line them up aligned with the flank of the cannon, allowing me to overrun. But since i didnt come directly from the flank but at a slight angle, he lined them up so that the overrun would just get my furies of the table, instead of making me able to overrun into the next warmachine unit.

On the sorc question:

So as long as the sorc is alive i get a +1 on all my dispell rolls? Even if its not a spell targeted on my wizard with the staff?

Pez
21-06-2005, 14:35
on the sorc staff - yep, while he is alive, you get +1 to all dispel attempts. Remember that by rights you should always declare which wizard (if any) is dispelling, if you have a bonus like that. Stops your opponent moaning.

I'm trying to think of another reason why you should declare who is dispelling, but I can't think of any.

JackInTheGreen
21-06-2005, 17:25
Well my furies came from the flank so i thought he would line them up aligned with the flank of the cannon, allowing me to overrun.

War Machine crew do not have flanks, so you line up orthogonally with the line of the charge.

JitG

Major Defense
21-06-2005, 18:03
I'm trying to think of another reason why you should declare who is dispelling, but I can't think of any.

Because your opponent deserves to know why you get that +1 and which mage the item is on.

About the charge on the warmachine; the crew wouldn't rank up to your chargers until it has been determined that they were close enough to complete the charge from that angle. Crew aren't a ranked unit so the chargers determine the angle of the charge.

Pez
22-06-2005, 11:42
Because your opponent deserves to know why you get that +1 and which mage the item is on.

Oh, yeah, I get that. I meant that I couldn't think of another circumstance when it's required to know who is dispelling. Who is casting, always important, but dispelling doesn't make so much difference. Unless there are magic items that affect dispelling wizards?

mageith
22-06-2005, 12:38
on the sorc staff - yep, while he is alive, you get +1 to all dispel attempts. Remember that by rights you should always declare which wizard (if any) is dispelling, if you have a bonus like that. Stops your opponent moaning.

Wizards don't dispel under the current rules. The army or player dispells. Otherwise dwarfen and non-wizard armies couldn't dispel at all. Wizards, of course, do add dispel dice to the dispel pool and can add bonuses to the ability to dispel like the Staff of Sorcery.

If you are going to add +1 to the ability to dispel, you do need to tell your opponent why, but not sure who or which wizard is doing it. It's not something that would be readily apparent from a soldier's point of view, would it?

Ith

Pez
22-06-2005, 13:46
That's why I said "which wizard (if any)". :)

That's what always confused me about things like the staff of sorcery. If the wizard himself isn't dispelling, what good is the staff? Obviously, in game terms it just adds +1, and if the wizard dies you don't get it anymore, so it's simple enough. That's why I was wondering if there were any other circumstances where the wizard is affected by magic items or special rules when making a dispel attempt. Looks like there isn't...

Tormentor of Slaanesh
22-06-2005, 15:28
well, the cannon thing isn't like a bolt thrower and its not really aimed at a unit just a line.
Question:
could i give a dwarf lord a gw and a handweapon and put runes on the handweapon, eg. rune of fire, just so he can hit ethereal beings?

gukal
22-06-2005, 15:47
Question:
could i give a dwarf lord a gw and a handweapon and put runes on the handweapon, eg. rune of fire, just so he can hit ethereal beings?

You could. But again you lose the benefit of the GW.

If a character has a magic weapon (e.g. a hand weapon with a rune of fire), then he must use it. Thus the Dwarf Lord would have a great weapon that he could only weild in close combat if his hand weapon somehow became mundane in the course of the battle (nullstone, Vaul's unmaking, etc.).

- Gukal

Lady's Champion
22-06-2005, 16:47
You have to say which wizard- it is very important. If high elves and an empire wizard with staff of sorcery are in the same army the effects do not add!

O and you don't have to use a magic weapon do you? couldn't they dwarf lord choose which to use at the start of the combat?

Festus
22-06-2005, 17:11
HI

You have to say which wizard- it is very important. If high elves and an empire wizard with staff of sorcery are in the same army the effects do not add!
This is not possible in the rules at the time given, so from a strict rules perspective, it still doesn't matter.
A wizard doesn't dispel, an army does.

O and you don't have to use a magic weapon do you? couldn't they dwarf lord choose which to use at the start of the combat?

Yes, you do have to use a magic weapon if you have one.
The only exception I know of are Bret characters, who have to use a lance when they charge and then switch to the Magic Weapon.

Greetings
Festus

PelsBoble
27-06-2005, 16:13
Thx for replies :)

Ok, now i have some more questions for you guys ;)

1. Concerning the lapping around rule. This came up in a game the other day. I charged my furies into a lone maneater and they were in combat for some turns. I won combat so i lapped around (didnt autobreak as both cause fear). But now the enemy charged a fury that had lapped around and ofc won the combat by combat resolution. But how does this work actually? As he only touched 1 fury i had no chance of defeating him. But is it allowed to charge the only fury lapping around or did he have to go around and charge the main bulk of the furies?

2. Just a quick one. Does for example a maneater have flanks and rear that count in combat resolution?I know that human sized models on foot dont have flanks/rear but does this apply to the bigger models also like maneaters deamonprinces, lord on horse etc?

3. concerning the Sneaky gits from the CD list. It says that they may always lap around any number of models. But do they have to expand frontage first or do they lap around directly (in turn 2 of combat)?

thx :)

mageith
27-06-2005, 16:59
1. Concerning the lapping around rule. This came up in a game the other day. I charged my furies into a lone maneater and they were in combat for some turns. I won combat so i lapped around (didnt autobreak as both cause fear). But now the enemy charged a fury that had lapped around and ofc won the combat by combat resolution. But how does this work actually? As he only touched 1 fury i had no chance of defeating him. But is it allowed to charge the only fury lapping around or did he have to go around and charge the main bulk of the furies?

The lapping furies all goes back to the main group. This may result in a failed charge.

2. Just a quick one. Does for example a maneater have flanks and rear that count in combat resolution?I know that human sized models on foot dont have flanks/rear but does this apply to the bigger models also like maneaters deamonprinces, lord on horse etc?

Any non skirmishing model has flanks and rear even if not in combat. They count in CR. Human sized models do have flanks/rears if in combat.

3. concerning the Sneaky gits from the CD list. It says that they may always lap around any number of models. But do they have to expand frontage first or do they lap around directly (in turn 2 of combat)?

?? I'd imagine so following the rules strictly. I don't think that's probably the intent though.

Ith

PelsBoble
28-06-2005, 08:23
Ah thx for fast answer mage ith :)

So when a unit charge a unit that is lapping around, you just move the lapping around models back to the original place? Sounds good to me :)