PDA

View Full Version : Battle for skull pass , Dwarfs or Gobbos

Rapouc
22-08-2006, 20:19
Hey,

I'm planning on buying the battle for skull pass boxset , I would you like your opinions on what army I should start collecting out of

Dwarfs or orcs and Goblins or Both

I would find it helpful if you could rate them on a scale of 1-10 for
Fun-
Painting and Modelling-
How well they do Gamewise-

and then your personal opinion

I will most likely end up with both and slowly expand each of them (but which one first?) , I mean the boxset alone gives 500 points of each of them. (great value)

comments appreciated

Lardidar
22-08-2006, 20:24
Dwarf v Gobbo

Fun - Gobbo's are a lot more fun (in my opinion), some of the Orc and Goblin stuff stuff makes for a very fun and random game.

Painting - I like painting dwarfs, not sure why but I do. If you don't feel happy with skin tones then gobbos are the way out (Green skin for the win)

Modelling - O&G have a lot more scope for conversions.

Game wise - I think both have cracking rules, I like dwarfs but find them a tad dull .... O&G can be deadly if used right.

Opinion - It is a hard choice but I think I would go gobbo's add in some orcs and you have a nice tidy little army.

Rapouc
22-08-2006, 20:37
thanks for replying , more opinions please

DarkTerror
22-08-2006, 20:55
Fun - Goblins for sure
Painting - Dwarfs, but Gobbos are easier to do a lot of
Gameplay - Dwarfs may be a tad stronger, but it all depends on your army list

Opinion - Go for goblins if you like a 'beer and chips' army where you're in the battle for the interesting quirks that happen, Dwarfs if you like set things to happen

Lordsaradain
22-08-2006, 21:26
Go for gobbos.

Dwarves might be abit more powerful but are dull in comparison. Painting can be as easy or hard as you like, just be prepard that you will have to paint ALOT of models for a greenskin army.

Rapouc
22-08-2006, 21:44
I wouldn't worry I'm used to alot of models , I collect Imperial Guard for 40k

so it seems 3-0 to the goblins
keep the comments coming please

lord_blackfang
22-08-2006, 22:16
Both. Get two starters and you have almost all Core infantry you need. The only con is that everybody is doing the same.

Eidolon
22-08-2006, 22:26
If you haven't bought skull pass yet, why are you so anxious to decide? Get it, try both armies, see what you like.

I'm voting gobbos, BTW.

Rikkjourd
22-08-2006, 22:37
I am not going to vote on any of them... what I want to say is: _Please_ try to do unique painting/modelling/anything because there sure as hell will be alot of dwarfs and gobbos around very soon! =)

Maybe it is too soon to complain, but I get a feeling most larger gaming groups will hear alot of *grumble grumble not another gobbo/dwarf army again grumble* this autumn =)

coelomate
23-08-2006, 01:14
Was 6th edition this bad? Did everyone take up Orcs and Empire?

I'd vote for the dwarfs - reliablity for the win!

Colonel Kolm
23-08-2006, 06:56
gobbos all the way, im an orc and gobbo player and i can say gobbos are great

Neknoh
23-08-2006, 07:02
There's a big difference, if you get two sets of Skull Pass (me and another guy gets to split on one due to us almost working in the store, and then, we split on one more box which means we'll get all the models for about 22 Euros), you will have over 140 gobblins and arround 60 or so dwarves (I'll take the gobblins), meaning you basically have your army there if you get a box of Fanatics and a Doomdiva or something similar.

Finnblood
23-08-2006, 09:34
Chaos Dwarfs. Then you can have them both. Hehe.

DrCamf
23-08-2006, 10:00
both have an dwarf army and a O&G army

Mojaco
23-08-2006, 10:06
Both. Both are 500 pt armies, so if you find you favor one of the other in due time, you can just expand just one of them and leave a resonably playable army for variaty sake.

heretics bane
23-08-2006, 10:34
Was 6th edition this bad? Did everyone take up Orcs and Empire?

I'd vote for the dwarfs - reliablity for the win!

yo ho!!! love them little guys can take the worst of an cavalry charge and still live

Lostanddamned
23-08-2006, 11:11
Gobbos!

Because well... I already have the 6th Ed Starter Orcs, and it seems a cheap way to expand the army (trading the Empire for gobbos, redeeming reciept to get 7th Ed rulebook, Total actual cost of models £20:))

Fideru
23-08-2006, 12:04
I personally like Dwarves, but I will vote Gobbo's.

Ironhand
23-08-2006, 18:43
Both. That way, you always have something to play against, even if your friends are too lazy or cheap to collect their own army.

gorenut
23-08-2006, 18:47
Just based on Skull Pass set, I think the Gobbo models are actually done better than the dwarfs. If you were going to go outside the set, either army is good. You should seriously try both of them out if you're getting Skull Pass for yourself.

JarrettS
23-08-2006, 22:16
I am going to buy it and most likely play Dwarfs :D

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
24-08-2006, 09:26
Well I'm a greenskin player by heart so I go for the goblins, I find the greenies much cooler then those dwarves.

Greetz
G

Eidolon
24-08-2006, 10:07
I am going to buy it and most likely play Dwarfs :D

When you'll take a close look at the plastic dwarfs included in the set, you might reconsider...