PDA

View Full Version : Skaven warrens terrain(among other warpstone induced nonsense)

Tanith Ghost
23-08-2006, 06:17
I recently found myself gravitating towards the rats again when I painted up a ratling gunner team(the third one in my army). As I was finishing the gun barrel, the idea took hold of me to grab a large(soda can sized) chunk of scrap concrete and turn it into a large chunk of warpstone. When I finished, I put it on a slab of thin plywood.

As I looked in pride at my work, I wanted to make more such army themed terrain.

Any suggestions on how to create skaven terrain would be welcome, and I will be posting pics in the near future(look at my sig for updates on some of my other WIP projects, such as the Vostroyan ratlings).

violenceha
23-08-2006, 09:03
Dwarf ruins would be the best bet, though you could try a skavenblight type thingy with swampy areas and have crooked spires rising from the putrid filth.

spikedog
23-08-2006, 13:38
Woohoo! More people doing Skaven things!

I don't know if you have seen these but the US site has a few good Skaven terrain articles :

Skaven Warren (http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/skaven/terrain/skavenwarren/default.htm)
Skaven Watchtower (http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/skaven/terrain/DotD_skaven_watchtower/default.htm)

I have always wanted to do some Skaven terrain but to be honest (And this is just my opinion don't let it stop you) I don't think Skaven terrain works too well as they only build underground and they certainly wouldn't let an army come into their lair nor would one fit. So I think the best way to do terrain for Skaven is to make Empire terrain and then make it look infested by the Skaven.

But enough of my negativity, for ideas I think you could do:

*A hill or rock face with a Skaven lair entrance,
*Use your large hunk of warpstone and build a Skaven drilling/mining operation around it,
*Some sort of Skaven slave labor camp or maybe a trap for catching slaves ?
*Some sort of markers showing the start of Skaven land like herdstones but for Skaven!

If I come up with any more I will let you know but I will be watching this thread closely.