PDA

View Full Version : Aspect warrior colours

Harky
23-08-2006, 08:30
OK here's my problem.

My first army was IG and I'm about to start playing Eldar. As I look at the colours of the Aspect warriors it bothers me that they're not the same as the Craftworld they are from. Now I know that each Aspect shrine has it's own traditions and such, but when I look at Aspect heavy armies it looks way too colourful for my taste.
I have noticed however that for instance in the Medusa booklet in WD the Howling Banshees had the same colour scheme as the Guardians (blue/yellow) and in the DOW video game all eldar in your army are the same colour.
So what I'm wondering is, if it's okay, fluff wise, to paint all the eldar in your army the same colour with only perhaps slight differences for each Aspect shrine?

Sai-Lauren
23-08-2006, 08:39
Yep, perfectly alright to do that. :)

Some Craftworlds have their Aspect Warriors take the traditional colours of the aspects, some have them take the Craftworlds colours, some mix-and-match, and some do other things. That all dates back to the very first appearance of the Aspect Warriors, over 16 years ago.

Kage2020
23-08-2006, 13:39
And just remember that the idea of using brightly coloured "uniforms" is a tad on the silly side when talking about military operations. It's fine for ceremonial dress, but takes the medieval inspiration of the game a tad too far. Camouflage, anyone? Of course, an old point but there we go.

Kage

EldarWolf
23-08-2006, 14:33
Once every couple of years I try a camo pattern for an Eldar or two, but with the exception of Rangers it just looks... Wrong.
May just be years of brainwashing, but even so It just doesn't seem right.

Sephiroth
23-08-2006, 15:50
And just remember that the idea of using brightly coloured "uniforms" is a tad on the silly side when talking about military operations. It's fine for ceremonial dress, but takes the medieval inspiration of the game a tad too far. Camouflage, anyone? Of course, an old point but there we go.

Would the Eldar wear camouflage? I would think such an advanced race would have the ultimate form of camouflage - to not be seen at all!

I've also heard the arguement, that Eldar are too proud/arrogant to wear such things as camouflage, but I reject that on principle - there's being proud/arrogant, and then there's just plain stupidity... :rolleyes:

Khaine's Messenger
23-08-2006, 16:15
So what I'm wondering is, if it's okay, fluff wise, to paint all the eldar in your army the same colour with only perhaps slight differences for each Aspect shrine?

Yes. Just like it's okay to paint Khorne Berzerkers dominantly with your own scheme, so long as there's something flashy on there it's all good. There is no "codex" requirement about color schemes for the Aspects as far as I know.

However, Eldar pageantry is a well-known phenomenon, and it often goes well beyond the ludicrous extremes of even the dumbest Space Marines (the ones who get bogged down in extensive land wars rather than performing their "proper" role and yet insist on taking the field in bright yellow)...just take a look at the 2e Eldar codex cover, for example. This has mainly to do with the fact that the Eldar depend on various "field" technologies, speed, and an elaborate screen of illusion to protect them (eg, holofields, conceal, etc.). It was once even argued that one should not bother painting Falcons elaborately, because the things aren't going to stay still long enough for anyone to get a good image of what's painted on it.

They're not Space Wood Elves, for heaven's sake.

You could twist this to use dazzle camoflage (just to break up their outline), but using actual camo still isn't to some peoples' tastes.

When I get around to building an Eldar army, I'll be using camo of sorts. But then again they're going to be more of a DIY colony world force than "real" CWE.

Harky
23-08-2006, 18:41
Well I'm kind of tired of painting cammo (I collect IG) anyway so I'll stick to some other colours for my eldar ;) Thank's for all the input.

Brush your teeth
23-08-2006, 18:58
well what i did to tie the aspects in is added colours from both the aspect shrine and the craftworld in

now my main colour for my craftworld is purple so on my howling banshees i gave them a quatered scheme or purple and bone
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a280/1990ainslieDuncan/warhammer/40k/Eldar/IMG_0467.jpg

Kage2020
23-08-2006, 21:28
Once every couple of years I try a camo pattern for an Eldar or two, but with the exception of Rangers it just looks... Wrong.
I agree with you but, as you say, we are so indoctrinated as to what to expect that it is hard to move away from it.

Would the Eldar wear camouflage? I would think such an advanced race would have the ultimate form of camouflage - to not be seen at all!
<grin> That's still camouflage. Otherwise it's called absence! ;)

I've also heard the arguement, that Eldar are too proud/arrogant to wear such things as camouflage, but I reject that on principle - there's being proud/arrogant, and then there's just plain stupidity...
It's the same thing that is used for the Space Marines as well. Ultimately they just look cool with all the pretty colours, but that doesn't mean that it has to make sense. The most superficial example of "Rule of Cool".

It was once even argued that one should not bother painting Falcons elaborately, because the things aren't going to stay still long enough for anyone to get a good image of what's painted on it.
That's a strange one. I'm overtly influenced by some of Digest Group Publications' images of Traveller's "Aslan", thus my mental image of Eldar vehicles includes the use of Eldar script (not runes!) rather than bright, garish colours.

Kage