PDA

View Full Version : Some SM chaplain info please...

[SD] Bob Plisskin
23-08-2006, 21:12
Hi,

I'm collecting a space marine army at the moment and flusswise they're big on religeon so I wanted to reflect this in the force itself.

The force has two chaplains and I wanted to model a couple of the veteran sergeants as 'aspiring' chaplains and also a dreadnaught as a chapain dread.

so fluffwise I need to know and I don't see why not; can a chaplain be put in a dreadnaught. Also how do chaplains become chaplains? Does the fluff hint in any way about training chaplains or the steps needed to become a chaplain?

thanks for reading.

Khaine's Messenger
23-08-2006, 21:20
Bob Plisskin;892752']can a chaplain be put in a dreadnaught.

There is nothing preventing this (it's not like a chaplain will be any more incompatable with the dreadnought than any other marine), but since most dreadnoughts are not personalized as such, their identities are almost subsumed into the machine with which they have bonded bar some minor personal heraldry if they've been in there long enough. Given your own chapter, though, this last bit of waffling will be irrelevant.

In game terms, you can decide what effect that has in terms of allowable rules. EG, making him Venerable and such if you think that would be an important distinction to make.

Also how do chaplains become chaplains? Does the fluff hint in any way about training chaplains or the steps needed to become a chaplain?

It's basically a sort of apprenticeship just as with techmarines and apothecaries and librarians, so far as I'm aware. There are, of course, certain limitations, such as receiving their rosarius and crozius. I'm not sure how many of either there are lying around to complete a chaplain's initiation (or whether they are necessary for that initiation), and although I know the former are "bequeathed" by the Ecclesiarchy, there's no reason they cannot be chapter-specific heirlooms.