PDA

View Full Version : Winning boarder Patrol?

Cpt. Drill
24-08-2006, 02:50
This week I was invited to a Boarder patrol tournement held at my local GW... Now I know a few of the people going and I know that one will have a dirty lizardman army with sole salimanders and some skins and kroxigor... the other will have a clan Skyre army with ratling gun storm demon and engineer :cries:

I have a force which has always seen me nicely through my games which is a night gobbo force of:

lv.2 shaman
Nibla itty ring

25 night gobs full command and one fanatic

25 night gobs full command and one fanatic

5 wolf riders with shield and spear

1 rock lobba

(This force is only about 440pts I might add another 5 wolf riders to the unit to give it a little more staying power!)

Although this force is pretty balanced.. i know that I will get dicked by either of these opponents not to mention all the woodelf players that will be there (And one dirty undead!)

I wanted to know what you thought the best boarder patrol list is you could make and any suggestions for mine?

Highborn
24-08-2006, 03:29
A Rock Lobba might not be the best choice of war machine because of the fact that there's normally almost no models on the table. My WE field 25 models and my HE field a whopping 18. Chariots on the other hand, are devastating if they get a charge off. Fanatics are a pain because you can't spare the models to spring them.

I like the L2 mage - not many armies can field a tooled up L2 mage, so it's definitely a good thing.

Remember in Border Patrol you're only allowed one special OR rare so your mate with the Salamanders/Kroxis is fielding an illegal army.

neXus6
24-08-2006, 03:40
Now if that's 1 Special choice, I don't actually know the rules for border patrol, I'd suggest dropping the rock lobba and sticking 2 Wolf Chariots in. You'll probably have almost enough points for an extra wolf rider or 2 aswell. :)
I'm a bit bias cause I really like wolf chariots, they are great fun. :p

Sambojin
24-08-2006, 08:19
Here's a nice little one similar to the original

NG Shaman Lv 2, Hitty Ring

24 NG, FC, 1 net, 1 fanatic
25 NG, Standard, Muso, 1 net, 1 fanatic
6 Wolf Riders, Spear, Shield, Shortbow, Muso
1 Doom Diver

It basically adds bows and an extra wolf to it (having slightly more than min sized units is often an automatic +1CR in BP) and swaps the lobber for a diver(accuracy is a must, mainly vs cav or small units). Its just a little bit better at what your original one does.

For a crazy, fast, big win or lose army give this a go

Goblin Big Boss L.Armour, Enchanted shield, Porkos Pigsticka

14 Wolf Riders Spear, LA, Shield, Muso
6 Wolf Riders Spear, Shield, Muso
1 Goblin Chariot Extra Crew, Spears.

In border patrol your big boss can actually go toe-to-toe with many other heroes so slam him on in with the big unit along with the chariot. You'll mostly win, sometimes lose (beware war machines) but always have a blast, zipping around the table at a million miles an hour. With so many points in your main unit you can also play VP denial with this army(no standards to lose, drop a wolf off each small unit to add a champ and banner to the main unit if you want). Just remember, right when you think all is going well, one failed animosity can screw it for you (or give you a first turn charge :) but this army recovers better than many O+G ones can.

Donga666
24-08-2006, 09:23
[QUOTE=Sambojin;893688]

[QUOTE]

This list looks GREAT!!!

Fun and competative, could go horribly wrong or win big!

Thats the way I would go :D

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
24-08-2006, 11:11

Well this seems a good border patrol in my eyes, it is very fast and many opponents will struglle against it.

Greetz
G

Yobalt
24-08-2006, 14:52
[QUOTE=Sambojin;893688]

[QUOTE]

This list looks GREAT!!!

Fun and competative, could go horribly wrong or win big!

Thats the way I would go :DIt's not legal, you need one 10US infantry unit. If im not mistaken of course.

Cpt. Drill
24-08-2006, 21:36
NG Shaman Lv 2, Hitty Ring

24 NG, FC, 1 net, 1 fanatic
25 NG, Standard, Muso, 1 net, 1 fanatic
6 Wolf Riders, Spear, Shield, Shortbow, Muso
1 Doom Diver

Yeah I was concidering including a doom diver but I wasnt sure if it would be more effective... I have a few weeks to try out some trial games.

But when you see a foe with a block of 16 infantry I am pretty spot on with guesses and you can smash them to pieces.. then it is up to the wizard to kill skirmishers...

Also the wolves with bows are cool and have a use... but I find that I want my wolves moving as far as they can every turn... (Although when I am march blocked they will have a use!

Remember in Border Patrol you're only allowed one special OR rare so your mate with the Salamanders/Kroxis is fielding an illegal army.
The rules were changes so that if you include two core units of 10+foot troops you can include an extra special or rare

Sambojin
25-08-2006, 00:27
Damn, it isnt legal. I always forget how restrictive the border patrol rules are (ie just play 1+ core, 1 special, 1 rare in small games, alot more fun). Err, I'll give this one a play today to see how it goes.

25 NG, Muso, 1 net, 1 fanatic

Not as fast, but legal :) Probably a bit less "win or lose in one turn" as well. Not really as fun though. Damn BP. Gobbos have the hardest time because we can field so much more than the restrictions allow, but can only field a few good things that will make a decent, legal set up.

Donga666
25-08-2006, 07:51
Damn, it isnt legal. I always forget how restrictive the border patrol rules are (ie just play 1+ core, 1 special, 1 rare in small games, alot more fun). Err, I'll give this one a play today to see how it goes.

Bugger! I forgot too :mad:

Stil like that list though, the only question mark is the fanatic. But it is 'added fun', at least they are good for a laugh :D

Highborn
25-08-2006, 12:11
The rules were changes so that if you include two core units of 10+foot troops you can include an extra special or rare

Hmm .. interesting. When did that happen? Not that either of my armies can really take advantage of it (stupid 11 point elves) ... but interesting :D

By the way, to the two wolf chariot guy - maximum of one war machine :P The gobbo wolf chariots were specifically listed as the example of 'one war machine max, even if its a 2 for 1 choice'

Donga666
25-08-2006, 13:17
I would be tempted to put in ten gobbo's with bows, how many points is that? 30pts ish (no book here)

Then max out on wolves :D

Voltaire
26-08-2006, 16:25
Theres a thread in the Army Lists with a load of Border Patrol lists on it, and the link to the rules of the game. Looking at other peoples armies should help you decide :)

Cpt. Drill
26-08-2006, 17:29
Cheers dude!

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43283

Here is is for anyone else to look at!

Ethereal
28-08-2006, 08:49
alright list, especially considering most armies dont have the guts to field a magic hero (save yours truly) and take a cheap combat hero. The rock lobber is a good choice, and i shall hear no one speak ill of it. I always take a mortar in my border patrol, as a well placed round can cause massive damage to the enemies battle line or even route one of their few decent combat units. I think that you should chuck in another small unit of night gobbos to bulk it up, cause if you really want a job done well, you cant beat the boyz.

DeathMasterSnikch
28-08-2006, 10:36
I just finished a border patrol as we speak.

Chieftane
Heavy armour
Enchanted Shield
Warpstone amulate
Total - 84

23 clanrats
Standard & Musician
@ Total - 130

20 Plague monks
Additional hand weapons
Standard, musician & Champion.
@ Total - 185

13 Nightrunners
Night Leader
@ Total 75

13 Slaves
@ Total 26

Total cost 500

Against my brothers orcs.

At the end neither of our units were close enough to the hill/forest/tomb we were fighting over...appart from our Generals (I know in the rules it says they don't count but we decided it would be a much better game if it was decided with this epic duel). After quite a few rounds of combat (And an amazing performance of survival by my plague monks) I was eventualy hammered into the ground.

Game started with both of our armies advancing, his archers killing a slave.
Plague monks spent ages hacking orcs to bits, archers cut down kamakazi slaves but got tied up by night runners.

My clanrats spent ages chasing his big 'uns that he foolishly didn't get into combat ASAP, if it wasn't for that I'm sure he would have won a lot earlier.

Ethereal
28-08-2006, 10:40
just curious, in border patrol, does the special rule saying that black orc heroes count as 2 restrict their use???

DeathMasterSnikch
28-08-2006, 10:51
We said so although...It says only 1 hero, not you only get 1 hero slot. Still, if you let somone have a blorc hero then you could take them in 2k point games saying 'I have 4 hero slots and 1 lord slot, but I'm only allowed 4 heroes in total, take blorc warlord and and 3 non blorc characters'

the anti santa
28-08-2006, 11:53
The Doomdiver could be pretty useful if anyone takes heavy cavalry as he's more accurate.

Also have you consiedered taking a unit of wolf riders with light armour, shields and spears? they lose being fast cavalry but gain a 4+ save, you could take another fast cavalry unit to threaten flanks.

Here is my work in progress WE list

Branchwraith (65)

10 Glade Guard (12) = 120
9 dryads (12) = 108
8 Dryads (12) = 96
6 wardancer (18) = 108

=497

I will actually be in this tourney and may face Cpt Drill (though he is well renowned for cheating at every opportunity ;-p).

Some chaos dwarfs with an earthshaker cannon, level 2 mage and 2 units of chaos dwarfs (1 with blunderbuss) will also be there

Highborn
31-08-2006, 03:05
The question about the blorc has been FAQd - answer is no.