PDA

View Full Version : 2000 pt. Archaon's Horde

CrimsonFOX
24-08-2006, 14:45
I used to run three big blocks of chaos warriors, supported by two chaos chosen knight units and a unit of marauders. It got boring, and to spruce it up I decided to throw in a dragon, which I very rarely see played here. However, that made me really have to weaken the footslogger elements of my army, who were not fast enough to support the knights and dragon. So I took them out, added two chariots and three units of marauder horsemen.

Two points to address right away:
- No magic defense. I understand, but the army is so quick and mobile that I doubt it will be an issue. I'd have to take out two units of marauders/chariots to fit in a scroll caddy, and in some battles he wouldn't even be used. I really don't fear magic with this list.
- No footsloggers. This is intentional with so many mobile units, if I added anything slow it would get left behind and not be able to support the other units.

Please do not comment on the army's "fluff," as I really do not care I am not the type of player that plays for that. If it's fluffly great, if not oh well makes no difference to me. Please help me work on tactics, wargear, and if you recommend that I take a different unit please point out what you'd like to see go - don't just say "take another chariot" and not tell me what to get rid of to make up the points.

Archaon’s Horde
2000 Point Army

Lord of Chaos - 645
• Base – 210
• Great Fang – 50
• Dragon – 360
• Enchanted Shield – 10
• Talisman of Protection – 15

Exalted Champion - 172
• Base – 100
• Shield – 2
• Sword of Might – 20
• Daemonic Mount - 50

Chariot of Chaos – 120

Chariot of Chaos – 120

Knights of Chaos - 300
• 5 Knights Base - 165
• Chosen – 60
• Full Command – 50
• Warbanner - 25

Knights of Chaos - 320
• 6 Knights Base - 198
• Chosen – 72
• Full Command – 50

Marauder Horsemen – 106
• 5 Base – 65
• Spears – 5
• Shields – 10
• Musician – 6
• Javelins - 20

Marauder Horsemen – 106
• 5 Base – 65
• Spears – 5
• Shields – 10
• Musician – 6
• Javelins - 20

Marauder Horsemen – 106
• 5 Base – 65
• Spears – 5
• Shields – 10
• Musician – 6
• Javelins - 20

Total: 1995/2000

Donga666
24-08-2006, 15:18
Drop one of the marauder horses and get 2x5 Chaos hounds, one of the most useful and 'disposable' units in the chaos army.

Meat shield, march blockers and cheap flankers.

And you will get fryed in the magic phase!

That's all I can see :D

CrimsonFOX
24-08-2006, 15:22
Drop one of the marauder horses and get 2x5 Chaos hounds, one of the most useful and 'disposable' units in the chaos army.

Meat shield, march blockers and cheap flankers.

And you will get fryed in the magic phase!

That's all I can see :D

Have you ever honestly gotten quality use out of chaos hounds? All they've ever been for me is a liability, losing combats for me when I flank with them or getting shot up and causing other units to take panic tests.

And in your honest opinion, do you really think I'll get that singed in the magic phase? One, maybe two rounds of magic before close combat, and then any magic-heavy army will find 600-800 points of its units useless against me. All of my units are fast and will hit enemy lines very quickly, which is why I left out magic altogether.

Donga666
24-08-2006, 15:46
Have you ever honestly gotten quality use out of chaos hounds?

Every game, they very rarely see turn three BUT the havoc they cause is ALWAYS worth it.

In mis-directions alone they pay for themselves.

@60pts for 5, if they get smeared by a regiment of 8 inner-circle knights, then IC Knight have to spent two turns getting back into the fighting. VERY good value.

Oh and loose the spears on your marauder horse and give them Flails +2 S instead of +1. Loose the Cheiftans and Javalins because they REALY are a waste of points. Thats just giving away VP, light cav die as easily as hounds.

Still think you will be fryed in the magic phase.

Undead, ALL elves will LOVE to fight you.

flagu
24-08-2006, 18:32
Tell me, how Exalted chimp can take warbanner?

And remove javelins and champions from marauders cause fast calv. is best as "cheap" unit, wich isn't so hard to sacrifice. With those points you could get Gaze to lord, picause now it's bit unprotected.

Donga666
24-08-2006, 19:33
Tell me, how Exalted chimp can take warbanner?

And his Deamonic mount will get shot from under him. Barded steed is much better value @ 16pts.

CrimsonFOX
24-08-2006, 20:14
And his Deamonic mount will get shot from under him. Barded steed is much better value @ 16pts.

He's not a large target, and he'll be in the unit of chosen chaos knights. I've played with a daemonic mount before, and because the chosen knights are so resilient the daemonic mount never seems to suffer. Donga, please do not post unless you have constructive feedback. "You will be fryed (sic) in the magic phase" is not helpful.

Mr. Shadowsun
25-08-2006, 03:31
1. consider the beserker sword instead of the great fang. with the dragon you'l get plenty of extra attacks, especially against things like knights and monsters.
2. the force seems realtively small, even for chaos. at only 30 models you won't really be able to rely on superior combat prowess when you're outnumbered at least 2:1

3. he needs the three units of marauder horsemen for the army to be legal, as hounds dont count towards the minimum core units.

4. yeah get gaze istead of talisman of protection. if this guy finds himself running away there's something seriously wrong happening. it should be charge,break,charge with a dragon and all those high strenght attacks.

5. that's about it.

Donga666
25-08-2006, 07:47
Donga, please do not post unless you have constructive feedback. "You will be fryed (sic) in the magic phase" is not helpful.

Don't start a thread on this forum if you don't want critisism.

druchii
25-08-2006, 08:40
Don't start a thread on this forum if you don't want critisism.

No, he wants CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.
You've given woefully little.

Please READ THE POST and then reply accordingly. This isn't gaia online, and there's no reason to post ignorant, useless posts.

That being said.

I don't like the list.
It smashes stuff too well.
With very few armies actually being able to do ANYTHING against this list, I don't see you making many friends(with me around, who else do you need..but anyway). If I faced this in a tournament, I'd most certainly not be happy.

Keep the great fang. Who cares about attacks, when you get called into a challenge with a dwarf lord with 1+ saves?

I'd also advise AGAINST the gaze of the gods. Why?
Because the few things that CAN threaten your lord on a dragon usually fly too (bloodthirsters, Monster killing Bret. Lords/Paladins, etc) and if you misguess and get caught in a spot where you are FORCED to get charged by one of these beasties, you don't exactly want to have to sit there, and get ker-plunked.

Avoiding the gaze of the gods would give you a bit more flexibility when facing something that's equally as scary, or there just to poke your dragon in the eye.

Donga666
25-08-2006, 10:11
I don't like the list.
It smashes stuff too well.

It could smash stuff better with out the 'flabby' marauder horsemen (champions, javelins, shields) and deamonic mount for the champion. Oh and spears for the marauder horsemen not Flails which are MUCH better.

With very few armies actually being able to do ANYTHING against this list,

Apart from an Empire/Dwarf Gunline or Helf 'seafarer' list (you have seen 'Last Samurai'). Or Bretonnians (remember how well brets kill dragons, then you have a walking lord). Or undead or any magic heavy list!

If I faced this in a tournament, I'd most certainly not be happy.

I'd be ecstatic :D Re-dedirect the knights (deal with later) and try to kill the dragon. Apart from chariots, what else is there.

Keep the great fang. Who cares about attacks, when you get called into a challenge with a dwarf lord with 1+ saves?

I do agree with you there, an excellent magic weapon especially on a chaos lord.

I'd also advise AGAINST the gaze of the gods. Why?
Because the few things that CAN threaten your lord on a dragon usually fly too (bloodthirsters, Monster killing Bret. Lords/Paladins, etc)

Or are made of metal and fly through the air (cannon ball, bolt-thrower tip, handgun ammo, cross bow bolt etc etc etc ......). Gaze of the gods is an essential, or some other ward save (BIG points sink!).

Or there are some nasty spell out there that could nerf your lord. Wil NO magic protection that is a serious issue.

What would be better would give him mark of Tzeench, rod of sorcery (can't remember proper name) and Eye of Tzeench (4+ ward for mount and lord) AND you get some magic protection! (AND No friends)

If you took that list to any player with ANY inteligence or tactical know how, it would not see the end of the game.

Druchii you realy should calm down you, will give yourself a heart attack.

:D

Shaitan
25-08-2006, 12:11
On the Marauder Horsemen I would drop the javelins and spears and take flails for the S5 attacks instead. This would save you (3x15=45 points)

Together with the 5 spare points you have that makes 50 spare points.

I would also drop the talisman of protection on your general for another 15 points.

Now you have 65 points, for wich you can take 2 units of 5 warhounds.

DirtJumper
25-08-2006, 21:27
Go for a Khornate version of this list, you get more attacks, dispell dice and a LOT more hitting power on your Knights/Charriots (in 7th mounts get the extra attacks as well, so MoK on you're General will give a Dragon 7 attacks! Not to mention Chosen KNights of Khorne will get 3 attacks a str5 and 2 at str4 each.