PDA

View Full Version : IG with greatcoats?

galrion
22-06-2005, 03:06
Back a couple years ago I heard rumors that GW would be releasing plastic IG with greatcoats similar to the valhallans/steel legion. However I've not seen anything on them for quite some time. What's the status on this rumor these days? I'd like to start a guard army, but I don't want to buy a decent sized force only to have greatcoats (which I'd rather have) come out not too long after I started one.

x-esiv-4c
22-06-2005, 03:51
The day that GW comes out with a plastic IG greatcoat sprue is the day I buy a guard army, simple as that. Personally I feel that the greatcoat image is much more popular then the regular "Cadian" image. You could model anything from Steel Legions to Valhallans..Good stuff.

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
22-06-2005, 04:39
I have heard from a VERY reliable source (trust me guys, this dude knows what he's talking about) that there WILL indeed be a greatcoat box set due around this time 2006. He didn't tell me exactly what it will include, but it will definitely include death korps of krieg, and maybe valhallans

x-esiv-4c
22-06-2005, 04:44
question, was he wearing a red-shirt?

Sashu
22-06-2005, 04:47
Corrertion. You can model not anything from Steel Legion to Valhalans. You can model steel legion and Valhalans.

Also the only reason you see the demand for Coated models being so high rather than Cadians is that nobody asks for models that are already there.

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
22-06-2005, 05:08
He's the director of distribution for all the US...this guy knows whats happening years down the line. He's like the number 5 in all games workshop stuff.

Delicious Soy
22-06-2005, 06:05
You do of course realis that you've just jepardised his position for violation of contract. That is of course if you're not simply imagining things. In truth, if the project is in progress, it will probably take about the same time as plastic Cadians ie, forever and a day.

aznsk8s87
22-06-2005, 07:13
i'm waiting for plastic mordians to start an IG army. which probably means i won't be starting a mordian army.

Barbarossa
22-06-2005, 08:03
In truth, if the project is in progress, it will probably take about the same time as plastic Cadians ie, forever and a day.

I'm not too familiar with the Cadian sprues (I'm a Praetorian player - talk about a neglected army) but maybe they can save some time on the next guard box by using the same weapons/equipment sprues? Should at least be possible, no?

charlie_c67
22-06-2005, 09:06
No, there's difference in the coat details. Plus people would complain about how it's a half assed attempt.

Calgar
22-06-2005, 09:36
If anyone gonna make IG Greatcoats , then ts Forgeworld......simple as that.

aznsk8s87
22-06-2005, 10:53
No, there's difference in the coat details. Plus people would complain about how it's a half assed attempt.

most of them are half assed attempts except for the new nids.

charlie_c67
22-06-2005, 13:04
Err what's that relevant to?

EmperorsChamp01
22-06-2005, 14:05
I would love to have great coat IG guys they would rock
But you know stupid people would complain like. Oh I dont like the Great Coat guys stop making them and then they would flash about 1 million dollars and the GW guys would say Yes Sir/Mam.

Col.Gravis
22-06-2005, 15:24
lol I dont quite see why you say that EmperorsChamp01 especially given how many people hated the Catachan plastics lol - yet they quite recently expanded the range with Plastic Heavy Weapons - they have a fan base thats why - I suspect the Great Coats fan base will be even larger, I for one will be building a Conscript Horde 200+ strong once they arrive :D and they will, it is only a matter of time.

Xisor
22-06-2005, 15:28
Considering how sorely tempted I was to start IG with Cadians(I did resist, but it was close), if they released Greatcoat IG then I'd have them in a flash. Alot. All of my student loan most likely. I'd have done that for the Elysians from FW, but I don't want to exhaust my loan for 500pts of models :p

Whilst I like the 'Parade Dress' IG(I have a bundle of Praetorians and quite like the mordians), I doubt they'd be done in plastic, they look slightly too odd to become fully maintstream(IMO). Plastic Greatcoats(not PVC :eek: ) though....wow...the thought of it

Xisor

Cloudscape_online
22-06-2005, 15:42
Plastic Greatcoat sprues? As in torso, legs and arms sprues? Plastic Commissars, plastic Officers, plastic Psykers and plastic Inquisitors here I come. Valhallans, Steel Legion and Death korps of Krieg to name a few variants of greatcoat wearers in addition to anything else you can come up with.

The Black Aquila
22-06-2005, 15:44
If they ever introduced Greatcoats/Valhallans, I would get them in a snap. I love the Fluff about Valhallans and I liked the old Valhallans, if the plastic ones turn out to be anything like them, then i'd definetly start up an army of them :D, with a lot of Mortars and Earthshakers to go with the fluff.

Considering how sorely tempted I was to start IG with Cadians(I did resist, but it was close), if they released Greatcoat IG then I'd have them in a flash. Alot. All of my student loan most likely. I'd have done that for the Elysians from FW, but I don't want to exhaust my loan for 500pts of models :p
Xisor

Yep, those guys cost a lot, but if I like the look of it, I shall collect it :D reason I currently have 150, being just one platoon of two squads, heavy bolter squad and my main HQ Squad nearly all painted up, and second platoon on the way!

Dakkagor
22-06-2005, 15:45
if they did greatcoated guard, an army of death koprs would follow. Cause it would be ******* awesome.

I thikn theres a fair amount of money in great coated gaurd. Certainly, it fits the russian style of the play the guard often use.

Nurglitch_PS
22-06-2005, 17:03
But you know stupid people would complain like. Oh I dont like the Great Coat guys stop making them and then they would flash about 1 million dollars and the GW guys would say Yes Sir/Mam.

Can anybody please translate for me?

Cloudscape_online
22-06-2005, 17:11
Yeah, I didn't get that either. Is it a post cold war thing?

Inquis. Jaeger
22-06-2005, 19:48
No idea. you do see a lot of them though. Maybe it's the 'expendable' nature of the Guard? Or the inspiration of the fairly blandly-derived Valhallans?

In any case, I for one would love some Greatcoat Guard, but please don't expect anything soon. The closest we've had in rumours terms towards a release date is 'Some way off'. And we all know what that means...

x-esiv-4c
22-06-2005, 19:55
Thats how i've always pictured the guard. Soviet era greatcoats. Obviously since it's a long way off best not to hold my breath. Nonetheless the models would look fantastic. I was a huge fan of the old Valhallan metal kit.

oatish
22-06-2005, 19:55
Well, I would love to have some great caot guardsmen but with the word on the net being sometime off I guess I'll just have to start Cadians first. I hate how I can never refuse to buy Gamesworkshop.

oatish

Flame Boy
22-06-2005, 20:02
The greatcoat guard would be great as far as I'm concerned. I'd have a tough choice picking between Soviet-style Valhallans and the Krieg Death Corps, which I guess have a more first world war feel to them. Greatcoat sprues could possibly turn me into a guard player.

Kjell
22-06-2005, 20:23
The greatcoat guard would be great
Who'd've figured, eh? ;)

But yeah, greatcoat IG could rock so much. I might even buy some to use as Traitors or, shock horror, start an Imperial Guard army. In all honestly that's the only way I could see myself do an IG force; greatcoat plastics I like.

x-esiv-4c
22-06-2005, 20:45
OHHHHHHH Traitor Greatgoat guardsmen! Now that would look totally kickass! Suddenly have the urge to make a LaTD list now.

Col.Gravis
22-06-2005, 21:05
I fear it is as silly a comment as you fear Nurglitch ;)

cthorpe
22-06-2005, 21:08
Hi everyone..

I do admit that the prospect of plastic great coated Imperial Guard would be fantastic.. with soo many possibilities as already pointed out..

I already have a Valhallan Infantry Company.. plastic figures would certainly encourage me to add to this.. starting with a conscript platoon..

Another thing in old Rogue Trader days it was possible to field squads of trainee commisars.. no that would be an interesting modelling project, and with plastics could even be upgraded to an entire platoon..

Cheers..

Carl

Johnny Bravo
22-06-2005, 22:00
Mmm.... Terrax Guard...

Ahem, anyway, I'd be totally on board with plastic Greatcoats. I really do want to start an IG force, but I want it to be a Valhallan army. Complete with red stars and Imperial sayings translated into the Cyrillic alphabet. ;)

sigur
22-06-2005, 22:48
The first picture of imperial guardsmen I ever saw was the one from Codex Army lists. Greatcoat, gas mask, just plain cool. I'd love greatcoats. In fact I like them so much that I got a Valhallan army a few months ago.

We know basically nothing about a release of greatcoat IG, it's all just speculations at this time. So I'll haven enough time to finish my metal Valhallans before plastic greatcoats will flood the market.

Maybe such a release would make IG even number 1, leaving Space Marines behind. :D

Col.Gravis
22-06-2005, 22:52
So I'll haven enough time to finish my metal Valhallans before plastic greatcoats will flood the market.

When the price of the metals second hand will drop dramaticly - happend with the Cadians. Bit of a bummer :(

Insane Psychopath
22-06-2005, 22:58
I have heard of this to but?????? It would be great.

But I think forge world are going to deal with making them.... the Drop troop or those desert guy ring a bell.

It would be great & I will ask when I goto the UK 40k GT but man would not hold your breath.

sigur
22-06-2005, 23:18
When the price of the metals second hand will drop dramaticly - happend with the Cadians. Bit of a bummer :(

Sure, but then even I won't want to have them because the plastic ones will always be cheaper. ;)

At least that's what it was like with the Cadians and the Catachans. But maybe I just didn't get to see the real good deals.

boogle
23-06-2005, 00:38
if they did finally release these, then i would be sorely tempted to include Commissar Caiphas Cain

FlameKnight
23-06-2005, 01:32
Off topic, but the day that they redo the Mordian iron guard models is the day that I splurge out with cash and buy a guard army. I want to do a forgeworld of Ryza army, complete with many plasma guns and the plasma-destroyer Leman Russ from forgeworld.

galrion
23-06-2005, 03:32
ahh, so nothing anytime soon. Oh well, I guess I'll go ahead and collect a cadian army. Of course if they do come out soon I'll blame you all! ;)

Lord Icklebum
23-06-2005, 03:36
The fabled IG greatcoat plastic set will be the only thing that could make me buy anymore for my Guard army. I'd get at least another 60 troopers. Once get around 7000 points worth of stuff, you kinda start to run out of options though.

Though if they ever do come out I want to see a new doctrine:

Dwindling Supplies - For every conscript purchased for a squad an additional conscript model can be purchased for the same squad at half cost, this conscript is equipped only with a close combat weapon (in this case, a single lasgun clip) and flak armor. Troopers purchased this way do not affect the number of models allowed in the squad and therefore can functionally double the size of any conscript squad. When casualties are inflicted on any squads with conscripts purchased in this way remove the bonus conscripts first regardless of whether any are in line of sight.
"One man carries a rifle, the other man follows. If the first one dies, the second takes his gun and fights on for the glory of the Imperium!"

x-esiv-4c
23-06-2005, 03:43
Dwindling Supplies - For every conscript purchased for a squad an additional conscript model can be purchased for the same squad at half cost, this conscript is equipped only with a close combat weapon (in this case, a single lasgun clip) and flak armor. Troopers purchased this way do not affect the number of models allowed in the squad and therefore can functionally double the size of any conscript squad. When casualties are inflicted on any squads with conscripts purchased in this way remove the bonus conscripts first regardless of whether any are in line of sight.
"One man carries a rifle, the other man follows. If the first one dies, the second takes his gun and fights on for the glory of the Imperium!"

Very "Enemy at the gates" I love it! Hordes of poorly trained conscripts being thrown against the bayonettes of the enemy.

Dirty Fingers
23-06-2005, 04:58
God i've been hoping for greatcoats forever. As it stands, the steel legion models are nice, but doing a mechanized steel legion army is just obscenely expensive.

Also, i want to live my dream of an all flamer, all mortar, 3 basilisk valhallan army :D. Yearrrrrr human waaave.

Wimvh
23-06-2005, 14:15
The first picture of imperial guardsmen I ever saw was the one from Codex Army lists. Greatcoat, gas mask, just plain cool. I'd love greatcoats. In fact I like them so much that I got a Valhallan army a few months ago.

Absolutely!! I loved the same pictury, made by Jes Goodwin, if I am not mistaken!!

Kahadras
23-06-2005, 14:52
if they did finally release these, then i would be sorely tempted to include Commissar Caiphas Cain

Same here. Just a small force (maybe 1,000 points worth) would be cool but include all of the major characters from the series.

Kahadras

Wimvh
23-06-2005, 14:53
Yup, if only for kill team or skirmish games... I'd love greatcoats!

hood_oz
23-06-2005, 23:56
Just a small force (maybe 1,000 points worth) would be cool.

The reason I am waiting for greatcoats? So I can do a Commissar training squad. Like in the old days, its a basic normal squad, just they are dressed up like commissars, and they are led by a proper commissar.

ALthough in the old campaign rules, you could have several go over in experience and become proper commissars to use in later games.... Nice, or not so nice if you are a NCO or CO...

I know I could convert praetorians but honestly, I would rather they were in more dynamic poses. And my scultping just isnt up to the challenge just yet.

Shadowheart
24-06-2005, 00:42
I doubt I'd buy another Guard army in the future (given the current prices, let alone the hikes of another few years), but I suppose they could be good miniatures. I'd expect GW to do an entirely new design for them, rather than make them plastic versions of the current Steel Legion or Valhallans. Compare the original metal Cadians to the new plastic range and you'll notice they're hardly the same thing.

New Cult King
24-06-2005, 08:52
If they do make greatcoat guard, I do hope the change the design slightly from the current Valhallans and Steel Legion.

I would like to see the Death Korps done like the artwork.

glimli
24-06-2005, 13:04
He's the director of distribution for all the US...this guy knows whats happening years down the line. He's like the number 5 in all games workshop stuff.

mate i hope youve got a spare couch. becasue if what you say is true your ' freind' might be needing it after he gets fired for spillin gthe beans to someone youll go straight onto the net.

yeah great coats would be nice but ive always been a cadians man, so im more than happy with the latest bunch.

Grot
29-06-2005, 07:57
I'm not really up to speed on the Imperial Guard, so here's a bit of a dumb question. "What are greatcoats", as in, appearance-wise?

Because if they look anything like the Killzone guys, I'm in. Actually, I don't even really care how they look, if they're the generic 'infrared-glowing-eyed gas-mask' soliders, I'm going imperial.

And I mean actual fully gas-masked soliders, none of this "I'll wear my goggles on top of my helmet and my mask around my neck so that my equiptment helps me not-at-all, and even if I wore it, my ears and the back of my head are exposed" that the steel legion seem to have going on.

The kind of imperial guard army that shows up after a good virus bombing, or when there's not really anything you want to be breathing in the area, which I imagine must occur at least occassionally with a universe of people at war. Eventually, some of them use biological weapons, or what-not.

But yeah, going back to my original question, what do greatcoats hypothetically look like? I have to ponder over some future purchases, perhaps. Thanks in advance.

boogle
29-06-2005, 08:36
see here: http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=301313&orignav=10 and here: http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?WCI=Menu&WCE=Search&Query=ice%20warrior&DisplayImages=False&MaxNum=25&StartAt=129&System= and here: http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?WCI=Menu&WCE=Search&Query=ice%20warrior&DisplayImages=False&MaxNum=25&StartAt=104&System=

Frodo34x
29-06-2005, 08:38
AFAIK, Greatcoats = Trenchcoats.

*has genius idea*

If greatcoat plastics cam out, I'd make a "Trenchcoat Mafia" veteran squad.

Grot
29-06-2005, 09:10
So... trenchcoats and bare heads with the occasional helmeted/masked head? Hmm...

Well, thanks for the info.

boogle
29-06-2005, 09:14
or in the Russian style

Grot
29-06-2005, 09:17
Sorry about my ignorance, but... what's "Russian Style"?

Thanks again.

boogle
29-06-2005, 09:22
the Valhallans are 'Russian Style' as in WW2 russian style uniforms

The boyz
29-06-2005, 11:42
I hope they do bring out these greatcoats guardsmen. I would also like to see plastic Tallarns aswell. But I will be happy with plastic greatcoats.

boogle
29-06-2005, 11:51
Tallarns and Mordians are very unlikely, Tallarns even more so ow FW have done models for them

MrAnderson
29-06-2005, 13:20
I think they are more likely to release some new Regiment in plastic next more than anything else.

boogle
29-06-2005, 13:38
apparently the greatcoats have been seriously thought about, but no more than that

Great Harlequin
30-06-2005, 17:24
apparently the greatcoats have been seriously thought about, but no more than that
I think a few sketches may have been drawn up but no more than that.

Aenarion
30-06-2005, 17:29

But I've been hearing about this for years now, it would be nice if it was done, but I wont hold my breath for any time soon.

Brusilov
30-06-2005, 17:57
I'll add my voice to say, I'd be all for plastic greatcoats. That would allow me to expand my 5000pts worth of Mechanised Death Korps of Krieg (including 14 Chimeras, 8 Leman Russ and a Baneblade) made out of Steel Legion models into something truly massive.

And to start a Soviet style IG army on top of that, opposing my ultra-elite Death Korps driving around in Chimeras to a Tsarytsinian Guard with loads of infantry.

ghost21
30-06-2005, 18:17
id be interested in seeing gretcoat ig plastics but im unsure how the cadians did / sold and i think another plastic box would depend on those
(i would be very tempted by a valhallan ) but probably more so by a death corps

Malakai
03-07-2005, 06:00
I'm with ya guys. I'm not much on the Valhallan/Russian style, but the Death Korp/WWI era style gas masked troops are really lovely. Im a pure Xeno player, but if they made this box I would jump on the band wagon and get right into an IG army. Besides, I've been looking for excuses to buy the FW Thunderbolt Heavy Fighter for awhile now. That thing is just brilliant!

Malakai

Orcdom
03-07-2005, 06:29
it would make Steel Legion viable then. well maybe.
Steve

Incognito
03-07-2005, 17:57
I'll add my voice to say, I'd be all for plastic greatcoats. That would allow me to expand my 5000pts worth of Mechanised Death Korps of Krieg (including 14 Chimeras, 8 Leman Russ and a Baneblade) made out of Steel Legion models into something truly massive.

That is so ******** sexy.

Pertinax
03-07-2005, 18:43
Incognito:

Please familiarize yourself with the FAQ and the forum rules. Swearing is not permitted.

Please do not repeat this type of post.

This is your first and final warning before you receive a strike. A strike will be accompanied with a temp ban.

Pertinax
-WarSeer staff.

Nazguire
04-07-2005, 11:49

And to start a Soviet style IG army on top of that, opposing my ultra-elite Death Korps driving around in Chimeras to a Tsarytsinian Guard with loads of infantry.

Have you ever heard of too many tanks? ;)

I mean...really, do you really expect your IG to become masters of the galaxy by hitching a ride in an all conquering lead throwing smoke belching bohemoth of gnarly death? :D

Nurglitch_PS
04-07-2005, 12:52
Have you ever heard of too many tanks? ;)

I haven't - what may that be?
I also have never heard of something.. how was it... "too many Sentinels" thingy :)

Catachan_Bandit
04-07-2005, 17:56
As lovely an idea as it all is, let's remeber what happened with the Cadian plastics.

Lots of people BEGGED for them. Begged. And then they came out and people griped so much because they didn't look exactly similar to the old metals. Things have quieted down by now, sure, but it still happened.

Any plastic greatcoated IG won't look perfectly like any of us are envisioning, so expect a modicum of disapointment.

That said, I'm sure they'd sell very well. Hell, anything to give the Guard more of the limitless variety they're supposed to have, right?

warlordgrubnatz
04-07-2005, 18:33
id love greatcoats, i could finaly start that vallhallan army. they would have to include a vallhallan and steel legion/ death corp head sprue or bring out a vallhalan box and a stell legion box though.

Inquis. Jaeger
05-07-2005, 09:22
Well, despite the gripes, the Cadians have sold very well (maybe it's the 10 boxes you need to make a half-decent infantry company :D). Certainly they were griped about a LOT less than the Crapachans.

And let's face it, plastic is the only really viable way to make a proper Guard infantry army.

Delicious Soy
05-07-2005, 10:02
I think the massive gap between rumours of Plastic Cadians and their actual release played a big part in that minor dissatisfaction, I always thought the concensus was that they were good.

Endanar
05-07-2005, 10:54
Well I like the cadians very much and I will keep collecting them. Maybe the greatcoats will be rubbish and then you have been waiting for nothing.

my_name_is_tudor
05-07-2005, 13:03
a slightly off topic thought on plastic IG. It is GWs agenda now to price things according to squad type and what have you, so one set amount of money buys you one force organisation slot.

So surely for 20 you should get 45 guardsmen and a junior officer ;)

Vberg
05-07-2005, 15:19
Suprise suprise i too would love greatcoats. Hopefully i could build the death korps army ive been dreaming of. Then again i thought after the cadians were released i could have built the cadian army of my dreams but some bright spark at GW decided to change their design. :cries: But hey its all a matter of taste. But fingers crossed in a few years time a may have an IG army i can be proud of.

Inquis. Jaeger
05-07-2005, 15:25
a slightly off topic thought on plastic IG. It is GWs agenda now to price things according to squad type and what have you, so one set amount of money buys you one force organisation slot.

So surely for 20 you should get 45 guardsmen and a junior officer ;)

Yeah and maybe Marines will be as hard as they are in the fluff and you'll only need 5 to make an army. And maybe the Eldar will suddenly realise they ARE a dying race, and all those warm bodies keeping the starcannons company will disappear. And maybe GW will write an error-free/unabuseable army codex. Or an even more unlikely scenario, they'll actually start listening to customers rather than their wallets.

my_name_is_tudor
05-07-2005, 15:39
Did the ;) not signal enough that i was taking the ****?

Jeru
05-07-2005, 15:52
This is true, they will be coming out next summer w/ the City Fight campaign.

Insane Psychopath
05-07-2005, 16:17
05-07-2005 15:52
Jeru This is true, they will be coming out next summer w/ the City Fight campaign.

City fight.... do you mean as in the codex or world wide event????? sorry, just I've been waiting like all 40k player 2 year now for another world wide event, while WFB get two, one after the other & LotR get one this year too. But in the UK, GW just give us battle for the Ultra.

Any way if they do bring them out that would be cool & mean yet another army to start lol

aznsk8s87
05-07-2005, 23:53
Er if you've been playing for two years, WHFB has not had 2 campaigns; WHFB and LOTR get 1 each. you missed the 40k one the year before, i'm afraid. if you're referring to lustria, that's just the base that players could use to come up with their own campaigns. there is no worldwide campaign for lustria.