PDA

View Full Version : Wolves and Warmachines for Orktoberfest

Sambojin
26-08-2006, 01:47
I posted this on warpath to see what other greenskins thought, but I'd like some opinions from other generals. Tell me how you'd rip a new for this army (so I can think of way to counter in the tourney)

I'm thinking of entering my first tournament in october (Orktoberfest in Brisbane, Australia) and sort of wanted to take an army that showed off most of the best things from sixth edition. Since the tournament falls after the release of BfSP I also plan on using quite a few NG from that. The tournament is using 7th edition rules but O+G player can still use the 6th edition armybook (so we dont have to learn a new army in a week).

If you could give me suggestions on changes, deployment options etc it would be helpful. I'm also open to changes for composition scoring because the army really does have a few too many warmachines.

Anyway, heres the list (with a few notes on what I plan on using them for)

Wolves and War Machines 2250 Pts - Orcs & Goblins Army

1 * Goblin Warboss @ 172 Pts
General; Great Weapon; Shield; Wolf; Warboss Um's Best Big Boss At [30]; Armour of Mork [50]
Just my standard wolf warboss. A bit of armour, a bit of ward and a good MR for his unit.

1 Goblin Big Boss(extra) @ 99 Pts
Light Armour; Wolf; Porko's Pigstikka [40]; Enchanted Shield [10]
My challenge champ. He goes down before the warboss, usually knocking off a wound or two in the process. Great at killing RnF too.

1 * Goblin Big Boss @ 90 Pts
Great Weapon; Light Armour; Shield; Wolf; Sizzla's Shiny Baubles [35]
A nice little suprise for any one MM my main combat unit. These three go where my warboss wouldnt dare.

1 * Goblin Big Boss(extra) @ 55 Pts
Great Weapon; Light Armour; Shield; Wolf

1 * Goblin Big Boss @ 55 Pts
Great Weapon; Light Armour; Shield; Wolf

1 Goblin Shaman @ 105 Pts
Magic Level 1; Little Waagh; Dispel Scroll [25]; Dispel Scroll [25]
The ever versatile caddy. Goes with some NG.

13 Goblin Wolf Riders @ 174 Pts
Spear; Light Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician
Warboss's regiment. Good on the attack, but lets the one below take on the heavy stuff.

12 Goblin Wolf Riders @ 162 Pts
Spear; Light Armour; Shield; Standard; Musician
The Chosen Knights of Gork. Crazy, takes down just about anything. Hope I dont animosity one of my own units to death (its happened before, and they even fled away from the destruction!)

5 x 6 Goblin Wolf Riders @ 78 Pts (390 pts)
Spear; Shield; Musician
Heaps of fast cav. I love fast cav. The only armies that will have more is chaos or D.elves and most people dont take that much in those armies. This gives me movement, baiting and flanking superiority across a fair bit of the board, even with some bad luck. Size 6 for +1CR vs min sized units.

31 Night Goblins @ 103 Pts
Net (x2); Shield; Boss; Musician; 1 Fanatic
Heres where the shaman sits. All the NG are really just a diversion from my wolves. If they win they win, if they die then I had a laugh. One or two units will sit near some warmachines for some protection.

32 Night Goblins @ 93 Pts
Shield; Musician; 1 Fanatic

2 x 32 Night Goblins @ 68 Pts (136 pts)
Shield; Musician

13 Black Orcs @ 189 Pts
Choppa; Great Weapon; Heavy Armour; Boss; Standard; Musician
I'm not going to use this as block, but instead as a long line to ensure my wolves "go off" in turn one and two. Then they will just keep rolling up as a defense line in case the wolves run. A few S6 attacks don't hurt as a last line of defense.

2 Goblin Chariot @ 126 Pts
Extra Crew, Spears
Support for the wolves. A smart enemy will shoot them to pieces but my blocks are designed to hold their own pretty well anyway.

2 Goblin Spear Chukka @ 70 Pts

2 Goblin Spear Chukka @ 70 Pts
Fire support. Two on one flank, two on the other and suddenly the battlefield looks alot scarier for the enemy. Would be willing to drop one or two for a bit of decent comp scoring.

1 Goblin Doom Diver @ 80 Pts

1 Goblin Doom Diver @ 80 Pts
This is the really heavy firepower. I'm pretty good at guessing ranges so these usually pay for themselves. That and I like the catapults I built out of sprue pieces. I sort of need a good bit of firepower just because this isn't the standard comp winning "Warpath" magic army.

Casting Pool: 3 Dispel Pool: 3, 2 Scrolls Models in Army: 229 Total Army Cost: 2249

Sort of hoardy considering how fast or shooty half the army is. I'm always amazed at just how much stuff you can fit into a 6th ed O+G army and the extra 250 pts for the comp make a huge difference. I guess after typing up this I can see the reason for some of the point increases in 7th. I just hope you can still mix a hoard how you want.

I plan on deploying a unit or two of FC on each flank just to wait out some deployment, then a couple of NG units. By then I should see something decent to hit so I can deploy a block and chariot or my warmachines (I usually wait for the warmachines). Then its a simple case of matching stuff up to where I want it. As mentioned, my BO just about always will go in a line behind my wolf blocks. This gives anti animosity to usually 2 wolf blocks, 1 NG unit and 1-2 fast cav units(I can't afford to be without my dispel scrolls or a hammer unit in turns 1-2)

Any suggestions for altering my army (or better yet my tactics) would be appreciated. I know my comp will prob be low with this, but I'm pretty new to warhammer and may need a bit of a crutch for my first tourney. Can anyone give me an idea of what sort of armies tend to turn up to tournaments in Queensland? Magic heavy, cav, or just plain fun?

warlord hack'a
27-08-2006, 11:58
well you need more magic defence, in The Netherlands most tourney armies tend to have 7-9 powerdice, so one scroll caddy is a bit on the lean side (note: I have one also only in my current setup for tourneys but I use a black orc warboss so I don't have much character slot options left..).

Also, you forget Leadership: just some hits from shooting and your fast cav will be running from the field at high speeds, taking with them perhaps nearby fast cav units....

Why do you have 6 wolfriders per unit, the 6th one is a waist, just use 5, so make it 6 times 5, better than 5*6 (you will still need to make a panic test after suffering two kills, so the 6th one does not offer any protection from this..)

I think you need more nighs gobbo fanatics also, and more chariots: wolfboyz alone do not kill enough (I know, I use the same tactic with big boss with pigsticka and 15 wolfboyz in one unit, but against elite enemy tropps, especially those with a good armour save, they tend to bounce), adding a chariot will often help a lot.