PDA

View Full Version : Skink Priests - why only Heavens?

Antaeus
26-08-2006, 12:39
Something I've been thinking for a while: is there any particular reason why Skink Priests can only use Heavens magic? I can't see any reason why they shouldn't be allowed to use Light magic as well. I don't see how this would unbalance the game (since Light is rarely used).

Just something I've been pondering for a while: I'd like this little bit more variety for them. Is it because Slann can use any Lore, maybe?

Dtrik
26-08-2006, 12:42
well lore of the heavens is great so I really dont mind. But I do think it does have something to do with the Slann magic (since they can do it all). Whether Light could fit in with lore is...arguable but I think variety would be nice.

Antaeus
26-08-2006, 12:47
I was thinking Lore of Light because of the practice of sun worship: I thought asking for the Lore of Fire would sound like I simply wanted Lizardmen to have more offensive spells. Light, on the other hand, would open up an under-used Lore.

Dtrik
26-08-2006, 12:50
well maybe if the skink had a certain blessing he could work with a certain lore (it would have to be a southlands list for the skink to take blessings other than sotek though, unless Im mistaken) Chotec would open up lore of fire and/or light, huanchi would open up shadow, etc. Although I think that would certainly make skinks more powerful and the blessings would cost alot more points.

Antaeus
26-08-2006, 13:04
There was a WD Sacred Spawning list that allowed that (an army where the entire force had the same Spawning changed the Lore that Skink Priests used. My Lizzie force is a fairly common or garden one, though, complete with a Tlazcotl-dedicated Saurus unit, so that wasn't an option for me. :(

The list wasn't a bad idea, though. I just like the idea of a) Skink Priests having a tad more variety and b) the Lore of Light having a decent chance of actually getting used for once!

Adlan
26-08-2006, 14:36
I like the Idea of having to take a spawning to get the magic lore.

Sir_Turalyon
26-08-2006, 17:49
They are using Heavens magiv because they spend most of the time trying to determine what Slaan and Old Ones want them to do (as Slaan can't be bothered to explain their orders, seers are needed to interpret them). Heavens is magic of seers, so they use heavens.

Antaeus
26-08-2006, 17:52
Indeed, having access to Heavens makes perfect sense. I just can't see a reason for not allowing them Light as well. Would allowing Priests access to one more, underused Lore really unbalance the game?

Cpt. Drill
26-08-2006, 17:58
I think its a bit of a pun due to skinks doing astronomy and the like... also when the first colonials went to southern america there are tales that a priest cause the sun to go black but it was just an eclipse!

maze ironheart
26-08-2006, 18:01
I do aggree with Antaeus they should have lore of light because having only 1 lore for skinks is quite wierd.But i also have to aggree with D trik lore of heavens is a good lore for them.

ZomboCom
26-08-2006, 19:55
Yup, heavens magic is perfect fluff wise. Skink priests are astrologers, spending much of their time in ancient mountain-top observatories trying to discover the whims of the old ones. The sky is their domain, so heavens is their magic.

Antaeus
26-08-2006, 20:44
Yes, I think we've comfortably established that Heavens is perfectly acceptable ;). It's just a matter, I think, of why they can't use Light too.

Ah well. It's not like this makes the world a terrible place, or anything. I just can't see any reason, background or gamewise, why they shouldn't also have access to Light Magic.

ZomboCom
26-08-2006, 22:02
Yes, I think we've comfortably established that Heavens is perfectly acceptable ;). It's just a matter, I think, of why they can't use Light too.

Ah well. It's not like this makes the world a terrible place, or anything. I just can't see any reason, background or gamewise, why they shouldn't also have access to Light Magic.

Background wise? They're astromancers, through and through.

Game wise? They're good enough already, especially when combined with a slann casting through them.

Dtrik
26-08-2006, 22:49
since no one is really answering the question of why not, I'll post a counter point. Lore of Light seems to be a holy lore taken by religous characters so I suppose that could be a reason why they can't take it. However Lizardmen are all out purifiers and what is more pure than Light? It doesn't matter though, even if they could take Light no one ever would except for someone who is REALLY bored with heavens.

I still would like to see Blessed Spawnings allowing certain lores, see sometimes I get good ideas...sometimes:p