PDA

View Full Version : Cavalry: optional or mandatory?

Pertinax
27-08-2006, 14:37
It's my observation that almost every army that has the option to take cav of some type does in LOTR.

Indeed, I also tend to include it at every chance.

Until recently. I've been pondering over how to bring my MT army up to 700 points in line with the 2007 GT, and I was looking critically at the list that I have. The existing knights of MT I have there have rarely performed anything else than dying for no reason.

So I decided to take them out of the list, and see what I could come up with. With the new figure limit at 75, I figured that a solid mass of Infantry will probably do just as well as a smaller one with some knights. Besides, the knights are almost twice as expensive as the infantry.

Am I on the verge of revolutionizing the way I think of an army list? Or am I just barking up the wrong tree?

(It should be noted that there are of course some armies that can not take any cav, and there are some that are utterly reliant upon it.)

Neknoh
27-08-2006, 15:34
¤tapps pertinax on the shoulder¤ the cat is over there, in that tree :p

I'd be causious in a competitive eviroment in not taking cavalry unless I played Isengard, which can basically elliminate the opposing cavalry through use of firearms and pikeblocks.

Hrmm.. why not do a MT and Dol Amroth alliance and go for knights from both groups? That could perhaps work.

Otherwise, Boromir together with D7 Towerguard makes for a pretty hardcore army :p

Pertinax
27-08-2006, 15:53
That's pretty much where I was going. Except it would be Boromir and tower guard allied with Madril and rangers.

I guess my point is that I've rarely seen cav work in small quantities before. Only en masse.

Gondorian
27-08-2006, 18:54
I'm a big fan of taking nothing but cavalry but I'll be the first to say that they aren't necessary for every army.

The thing I like most about them is the mobility which is really useful in an objective environment.
Most armies I've seen have atleast 6 mounted models and these often allow the army to be slightly more versatile.
By having a small amount of cavalry with infantry you can create flanking opportunities which may result in your cavalry's death but will also allow your infantry to win the day. You don't really need a large amount of models for this provided you keep them behind your infantry or terrain until the lines clash.

Overall, if you think that you don't need them or want to try a different approach you should go for it and see how it works.

Pertinax
27-08-2006, 19:03
You see, I've always tried to include 5 or so cav with a mounted hero to move them around the table when I need it. But the problem is that they always are a priority target, and the opponent always tries to combat them. Either by shooting, or countering them with heroic moves or combats.

Personally, against a newer player, I can get away with them. Against a more experienced player, they are screwed.