PDA

View Full Version : SST Dropships? Anyone know what has happened to them?

cthorpe
27-08-2006, 17:36
Hi guys,

Just a quick enquiry, both the Skyhook, and the larger 'Dropship' from Starship troopers has seemed to dissappear from Mongoose publishings Website..

Does anyone know what has happened to them, have they abandoned the project(s)..?

Seems a shame if they have..

I look forward to hearing from you..

Cheers,

Carl

Rabid Bunny 666
27-08-2006, 17:49
The skyhook was finished, but hasn't been put on the Schedule, and the last we saw of the Viking was a plasticard mock up a year ago.

Sephiroth
27-08-2006, 21:43
Their 'Schedule' seems to have disappeared too... :confused:

erion
27-08-2006, 21:59
Yeah, right now there are NO miniatures releases on the schedule at all. Not even for september. No Babylon 5 ACAT, no SST, no RuneQuest. Nothing.

emperorpenguin
27-08-2006, 22:58
Mongoose are due to make a "BIG announcement" either monday or tuesday (as it's a bank holiday)

so we will know (hopefully) what the status is

Senbei
28-08-2006, 17:16
Either that or it will be Conan news.....

undead_jon
28-08-2006, 17:39
I'm guessing they're gearing up for all the new games they've got coming out, which as far as I'm aware include the new Conan game, B5 ground combat game & the WW2 sea combat game, not to mention the fact that they've also just launched the new Runequest edition.

My guess is they've put all the older games releases on hold so they can concentrate on getting all the new games up & running.

J

Senbei
28-08-2006, 18:32
WW2 Sea combat ? Any Idea what scale that will be in ?

Rabid Bunny 666
28-08-2006, 19:47
I think the announcement is gonna be the Forth, but thats just me and my blind faith.

nanite
29-08-2006, 00:01
Victory at Sea is a proposed set of Naval Combat rules. It's not quite scale independant, but was intended to be used with other manufacturer's ranges.

There's the Future Wars thingy which may be the Tom Clancy license that Mongoose now has.

Also War without End, Babylon 5 ground combat using old GROPOS minis and new ones. New set of rules with this one.

There's been talk about a 'Holy grail' all year on the Mongoose boards. Maybe Star Trek maybe Dr. Who, no I know can confirm anything.

Then there's three new armies for SST, including the 'Forth' which, along with the MI Dropships, last of the skinnie units, and some other MI bits, are overdue.

The lack of anything concrete from Mongoose, other then "we're working on stuff, you'll like it" has caused rampant speculation, and was a bad move IMO.

If people knew what they were waiting on, they would probably still be as impatient, but there would be less "Mongoose is going under/dropping support for x" type speculation.

emperorpenguin
29-08-2006, 00:12
the announcement has been made......

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20621

Also War without End, Babylon 5 ground combat using old GROPOS minis and new ones. New set of rules with this one. I'm playtesting this one, it's on the backburner. The announcement is centred on SST and Battlefield Evolution

erion
29-08-2006, 01:10
Wow. Nothing for SST until April 2007, and then we get pre-painted re-issues of models we probably already own (except for the forth).

wtf?

Battlefield Evolution sounds like an interesting concept, but it sounds to me as though Mongoose liked what they Heard Rackham was doing with AT-43 and decided to steal the idea for themselves.

Sephiroth
29-08-2006, 01:16
the announcement has been made......

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20621

About time!

*Checks link*

More pre-painted models (for those of you following the AT-43 thread)? Not that I'm saying anything wrong with them, but have wargamers become so lazy that model companies have noticed a new market, or is it merely due to advances in technology?

Anyway, if those Light Mobile Infantry are the standard of the pre-painted set, they've definitely going to be selling.

I'm also glad they noticed the current Skinnies range weren't up to much.

I was hoping for some new info about the Forth though... :(

nanite
29-08-2006, 06:14
Mongoose is getting out of the miniatures biz. Good riddance. Sprange is admitting a lot of the minis they've produce suck, giving their fans the finger, and telling us to go buy toys.

Mongoose knows ther fanbase though, and while I don't agree that the models will be 90% better then what most can produce, I think they'll be better then what 90% of SST players can produce.

Oh, and I have zero confidence Mongoose will actually pull this off.

emperorpenguin
29-08-2006, 12:17
Mongoose is getting out of the miniatures biz. Good riddance. Sprange is admitting a lot of the minis they've produce suck, giving their fans the finger, and telling us to go buy toys.

Mongoose knows ther fanbase though, and while I don't agree that the models will be 90% better then what most can produce, I think they'll be better then what 90% of SST players can produce.

Oh, and I have zero confidence Mongoose will actually pull this off.

ever the optimist aren't you?.....:rolleyes:

erion
29-08-2006, 12:42
Why should he be? Mongoose is the best gaming company I've seen when it comes to pie-in-the-sky goals and mediocre results.

At least Reaper, with whom I have a legendary love/hate relationship, eventually delivers what they set their sights on. Mongoose just gave everybody who invested anything in this game the finger and said "wait for eight months so you can try our next experiment to see if we can make this work".

emperorpenguin
29-08-2006, 13:20
because calling them toys is a bit silly

Sephiroth
29-08-2006, 13:27
But they are 'toys'. Doesn't matter if their pre-painted or not. What we play with is essentially 'toy soldiers advanced'. Their 'toys' whether it's Games Workshop, Rackham or Mongoose who produce them. :p

I myself, am really looking forward to this. I don't have hours of painting time to spare, and I've been looking for something which I can just buy and start playing straight away. I thought it would be Rackham's AT-43, but if those LMI & Arachnids are the final pre-paint standard sold in boxes, its going to be SSTE.

emperorpenguin
29-08-2006, 14:47
But they are 'toys'. Doesn't matter if their pre-painted or not. What we play with is essentially 'toy soldiers advanced'. Their 'toys' whether it's Games Workshop, Rackham or Mongoose who produce them. :p

yes you're right which is why nanite's statement is snobbish. either they're all toys or not all toys but you can't be elitist and say "they're abandoning minis and doing toys"

revford
29-08-2006, 16:23
I didn't know it was 'toy soldiers advanced', I thought I was still playing win toy soldiers.

As it goes, those do look quite good, nice enough to use as is or with just a few taps of paint to personalise them.

Would this be the correct forum for talk about Battlefield Evolution? as it's a modern/near future setting rather than actual sci-fi would it be more at home in the historical dept?

Sephiroth
29-08-2006, 19:36
yes you're right which is why nanite's statement is snobbish. either they're all toys or not all toys but you can't be elitist and say "they're abandoning minis and doing toys"

I find you'll encounter that attitude with any game using pre-painted miniatures, as the players are deemed to be some how less committed I guess.

Pre-painted miniatures also have the stigma attached that when you think 'pre-painted figure' your first usual thought is Heroclix. The grade of their stuff has nothing to do with being pre-painted really, but rather their quality control.

I didn't know it was 'toy soldiers advanced', I thought I was still playing win toy soldiers.

I was also accounting for established rules to determine damage, movement etc, rather than just firing elestic bands at each other's 'toys' to represent damage. ;)

nanite
30-08-2006, 04:49
I think if Mongoose pulls this off they will be very successful.

A couple points about the toys vs. minis thing though. Sure all minis are toys, but we make a distinction.

SST are already about the biggest minis in the 28ish-mm scifi genre. The Forth look like the whole army is large models. Once you take away the painting/assembly, I really don't see much difference between the SST: Evolution line and, say Hasbro's small ultra line or any of the various Gashapon toys from Japan.