PDA

View Full Version : BFG - some ideas for changes to the Space Marine Fleet

bertcom1
28-08-2006, 22:03
Hello.

A while ago, my friends and I decided that the SM fleet could do with some changes. We thought that it didn't feel right and was quite boring to play with and against, because of lack of ship variety and because SM ship advantages were quite easy to counteract. I.e. with lances.

We made some changes, and these are outlined in the attached document. The ships have no points values at the moment because we were using them in a narrative campaign.

We found these ships a lot more fun to use, and also they seemed to be more in keeping with background. A fully equipped Battlebarge was just like background says, a really frightening opponent for an Emperor battleship in boarding actions. The SM ships worked best in coordinated actions at pointblank range. We thought that made sense and fitted well with background. They are still at a significant disadvantage in fleet actions due to short weapon ranges.

I think there is still quite some work to be done, especially in assigning points values, but also to the speed of the cruisers. We thought they could be 5cm faster than the numbers in the document, though we weren't sure that the Dark Eldar would have a sufficient speed advantage if we did this.

Tell me what you think.

Thanks.

Incidentally, we also thought that ships using their turrets against torpedoes or attack craft should not add them to their boarding value in the same turn.

ReDavide
29-08-2006, 07:19
I really like them actually, and I wasn't expecting to. There are a few changes I'd make though:

1) This one's probably just an oversight. Marines should probably get +1 to their hit-and-run attack rolls.

2) I'd give the battlebarges a maximum of 2 strike teams, but leave their launch bays as-is (so they'd have 2 bays with 0 teams and 6 bays with 3 teams). Inflicting a -3 on hit-and-run rolls makes your port weapons magically invulnerable while leaving your starboard fragile. This is weird, but easily fixed by capping the possible number of strike teams at 2.

3) This is the most important one by far. You've gone overboard with the close-range weaponry. You've intended to make the battle barge a scary boarding opponent against an Emperor. This is great, and you've done it well. But when your battle barge can unleash a firepower 16 lance that crits on a 4+ at close range, there won't be any Emperor left to board.

Inquisitor Maul
29-08-2006, 10:21
This is great, and you've done it well. But when your battle barge can unleash a firepower 16 lance that crits on a 4+ at close range, there won't be any Emperor left to board.

Remember that BCs work like Weapons batteries for targeting purpose. ;)

bertcom1
29-08-2006, 10:46
1) This one's probably just an oversight. Marines should probably get +1 to their hit-and-run attack rolls.

2) I'd give the battlebarges a maximum of 2 strike teams, but leave their launch bays as-is (so they'd have 2 bays with 0 teams and 6 bays with 3 teams). Inflicting a -3 on hit-and-run rolls makes your port weapons magically invulnerable while leaving your starboard fragile. This is weird, but easily fixed by capping the possible number of strike teams at 2.

3) This is the most important one by far. You've gone overboard with the close-range weaponry. You've intended to make the battle barge a scary boarding opponent against an Emperor. This is great, and you've done it well. But when your battle barge can unleash a firepower 16 lance that crits on a 4+ at close range, there won't be any Emperor left to board.

Remember that BCs work like Weapons batteries for targeting purpose. ;)

ReDavide is right that FP18BC is like 16Lances when against closing capital ships within 15cm, or against Defences.
The critical damage could easily be reduced though, as with only 1 weapon system, instead of WB+BC of current ships, it combines more easily so the extra damage potential is not as needed.
Would hitting on 4+ and 6+ criticals be a better idea?
Or should the BCs just not get a left column shift for close range?
Not getting a shift for range might make sense with background, as that would mean that the targeting systems are not as accurate as the Imperial Navy, which the IN would like.
That would be FP13 maximum against closing capital ships.

Hit + Run rolls should get +1, it was an oversight. So Thunderhawks and Teleport attacks should benefit.

Battle barge and strike teams. So the Launch bay should be str2 with 0 teams, str4 with 1 and str6 with 2? Or the Battle Barge carries 3 teams, but only subtracts 2 from hit and run rolls due to its size?

A Battle Barge with 3 strike teams on board is the largest single commitment that a Chapter is able to make, so we thought it should be really scary.

Also, in a codex chapter, there are only 8 strike teams, (1st and 10th companies are distributed amongst the 2nd-9th)

bertcom1
06-09-2006, 00:19
Managed to try some changes out.

Changed bombardment cannon so that it does not get column shifts for short range, or for low orbit fighting. Thought this makes sense from background point of view, as it means they are better at shooting at defences rather than ships, and are good in low orbit.

Minor revisions to strike team rules. Hit and run attacks from ships with strike teams get +1 to their roll.

Ships are good at planetary assault scenarios, while poorer at fleet engagement. This makes sense.