PDA

View Full Version : why cant chaos have land speeders?

malika
22-06-2005, 19:42
This is something that bugs me...I mean the background shows that Land Speeders were present before and during the Horus Heresy on both sides...but now Chaos cannot use them anymore? Same goes for Whirlwinds btw..

What is up with that? Why???

Pertinax
22-06-2005, 19:49
Landspeeders use anti-grav technology. This technology is apparently rather fickle, and takes precise maintenance.

The Chaos Legions don't use them now because they can't. They have been broken or destroyed, and they are unable to replicate them. Now why they use magic or some form of daemonic entity to power them, that is another question.

In the same vein, a chapter declared traitor in more recent times should still have them, along with the newer pieces of equipment, like the Razorback.

malika
22-06-2005, 19:51
They break down? So all the Land Speeders of the Traitor Legions broke down...and they cant fix them? This would mean that they wouldnt have any vehicles anymore since they cant fix things...

You forget that half of the Adeptus Mechanicus sided with Horus during the Heresy, so Chaos if fully able to produce, repair and design vehicles.

Hell's Angel
22-06-2005, 19:51
The general reason is that they lack the tech to repair, or build them (Even though a half of the Mars Tech priests joined them in the eye.) The practical reason is that SM's need something that is different than chaos!

x-esiv-4c
22-06-2005, 19:52
The could also make a vehicle like the defiler ( using a bound daemon ) but perhaps one that could fly. Sounds like something for the good old VDR. But like Pertinax says, Imperial equipment is high maintenance and the derranged tech-priests of chaos probably don't have the patience or the sanity to perform precise repairations.

Puffin Magician
22-06-2005, 19:54
Yep, they're just too maintenance-intensive for Chaos, even the constant attention of the Adeptus Mechanicus is barely enough to keep the Imperium's Anti-Grav units in the air.

As for Whirlwinds and other SM-only goodies, most if not all were developed/rediscovered after the Heresy.

On the other hand, Chaos has all sorts of fun stuff for themselves; such as the Defiler, Hell Talon, Doom Wheel and other Daemon Engines.

Edit: Yes we all know that half of the Adeptus Mechanicus along with the Titan Legions defected during the Heresy, but nothing says that they had any surviving AG technology with them when they left...

Edit II: Imperial Armour Volume Two has no mention of when the Whirlie entered service [which is damn irritating; several entries have no service date], and I couldn't find anything on fluff sites like Critical Hit about it. I don't think they were available during the Heresy.

malika
22-06-2005, 19:56
The same could then be said about a whole bunch of the loyalist tech priests who are too busy with their personal obsessions with the Machine God.

IIRC the Whirlwind was created before the Heresy, as if the Land Speeder...this would mean the traitors could use them too and they could be maintained because half of the AM sided with Horus, besides these legions have techmarines too.

I know that this doesnt fit with game balance perhaps, but it's just sad to see that I have to resort to VDR to fulfill these needs :evilgrin:

x-esiv-4c
22-06-2005, 19:57
I would like to see more daemon bound vehicles present in chaos. I know the defiler seems to set the level but I miss the variety of the daemon-engines from EPIC....ok, the death-dealer was kind of lame...

malika
22-06-2005, 20:04
These things prove that Chaos is superior in items, weapons, etc...however Chaos lack in numbers I think compared to the Imperium...that could sort of function as a compromise to keep things "balanced"

mostholycerebus
22-06-2005, 20:05
Yes, but too many daemon-bound vehicles goes against the design philosophy of the CSM list. SM are the mechanised 3+ army, Chaos is the infantry heavy 3+ army.

malika
22-06-2005, 20:09
blegh...rules and background dont mix

Talkie Toaster
22-06-2005, 20:12
Blimey, this thread's growing fast.
The reason chaos don't have any 'speeders could probably be traced to the anti-grav crystals. We know they have to be very precise, and the influence of chaos tends to twist even the soil and walls of stuff, so perhaps growing the crystals is just impossible in an environment like the EoT. The Alpha Legion may be in a position to do it though...

Puffin Magician
22-06-2005, 20:13
Chaos is the infantry heavy 3+ army.
Yes, but Chaos has Land Raiders, Defilers, Dreadnoughts, Titans, Superheavy tanks, Predators, etc. Too many is bad, just like any other army, but that's not to say they shouldn't have access to them.

In Epic40k Daemon Engines were the 'counter' to loyalist Knights, IIRC. I'm particularly fond of the Slaaneshi Questor, which seems to be a claw-armed uberDreadnought with a goofy chameleon-style head. Such vehicles wouldn't be out of place in a game of 40k.

These things prove that Chaos is superior in items, weapons, etc...
Say what? The Imperium may have a skewed view of how technology should be developed, but that in no way means Chaos has the upper hand. Remember that the AM is constantly looking for STCs [not to say Renegade AdMech Questors are not], but I think the Imperium of Mankind does a lot more towards developing and building weapons while Chaos has more fun with slaughtering/enslaving people and generally being a pain in the Galaxy's side.

blegh...rules and background dont mix
Only if you improperly interpret the background or use the rules in an idiotic manner...

malika
22-06-2005, 20:15
Chaos could use magiks to make it fly like an anti grav vehicle I guess..

And I see some people claim that anti-grav is very rare...but remember GW's definition or "rare" is very relative...power armour and terminator armour are rare and very difficult to produce but still I see more and more figures with it! (Space marines, Inquisition, Adeptus mechanicus, adeptus sororitas)
GW claims technology to be rare and un-mass producable...but still the Imperium survives millions of battles during 10.000 years...

malika
22-06-2005, 20:16
Only if you improperly interpret the background or use the rules in an idiotic manner...

I disagree with you there, the rules have been designed to create some sort of gaming balance...I mean a C'tan cant be killed by snipers!!!

Puffin Magician
22-06-2005, 20:52
The C'tan are a case of misinterpreted/misused Background information. They shouldn't be in 40k at all [perhaps Epic, with lots of weird rules and invulnerabilities such a creature requires]. They are vulerable to many 40k weapons because, as you say, of game balance. That doesn't mean it's right. ;)

Long_Fang
22-06-2005, 21:12
Why did the whales devolve their hind legs, I mean they used to have them right? wait for the punch line....wait for it.........They dont need them anymore! Ahhhh i dont think its about crystals or the tech priests....they got raptors and they fly via deamon jet packs, no?

Land Speeders do not fit with the Chaos combat mentality. If they did, they'd make them fly very quickly.

Long_Fang
22-06-2005, 21:14
Same reason Space Wolves dont teleport.....I mean they can. They also like hth and all...they just dont like that crap...

malika
22-06-2005, 21:15
Why did the whales devolve their hind legs, I mean they used to have them right? wait for the punch line....wait for it.........They dont need them anymore! Ahhhh i dont think its about crystals or the tech priests....they got raptors and they fly via deamon jet packs, no?

Land Speeders do not fit with the Chaos combat mentality. If they did, they'd make them fly very quickly.

So after the Horus Heresy all the Traitor Legions decided that they dont like Land Speeders?

ObiWan
22-06-2005, 21:45
Because, this is only a game and the ones writing the rules didn't like the idea, as well as they didn't like the idea of loyalist space marines toting around 4 plasma guns.
Sorry to suspend the disbelief but that's the reason, not something occult in the background (or fluff as is known in the anti-feline society) Cheers!

Pertinax
22-06-2005, 22:31

Jet packs are not the same as the anti grav units. Jet packs are just that, jets. And they are probably much easier to maintain than the anti grav units.

Why did the anti grav units stop working? Battle damage, corruption, faulty tinkering.... take your pick.

TenTailedCat
22-06-2005, 22:39
Could also have something to do with the fact that the Eye of Terror is a pretty messed up place with regards to gravity and the lavws of physics in general - perhaps such technologies aren't quite as practical in there.

Brother Othorio
22-06-2005, 23:45
Edit II: Imperial Armour Volume Two has no mention of when the Whirlie entered service [which is damn irritating; several entries have no service date], and I couldn't find anything on fluff sites like Critical Hit about it. I don't think they were available during the Heresy.
okay, somewhat outdated, but Space Marine 1st edition was set during the Horus Heresy, and included Whirlwinds (the only 3 vehicles* in the basic box were Land Raiders, Rhino's and Whirlwinds)

*stats that is, you were supposed to use the Rhino's to represent the Whirlwinds

Long_Fang
23-06-2005, 05:39
So after the Horus Heresy all the Traitor Legions decided that they dont like Land Speeders?

Something to that effect, yes.

Wolflord Havoc
23-06-2005, 09:16
I thought that the 'fluff' written in the White Dwarf would have us believe that 'land Speeders' where rediscovered/developed after the hearesy - which is why Traitor legions do not have them.

Anyway - the Traitor Legions have enough going for them at the moment with out the need for Land Speeders.

charlie_c67
23-06-2005, 11:20
Ok two things, RT was not set during the HH it was 10,000 years after it, else how would they have had information on the badab war, the rinns world incident etc?

Secondly, if your chaos, flying along on your possessed landspeeder which suddenly decides it doesn't like you a throws you off, your not gonna be too happy really are you? :D

@wolflord. No land speeders used to be used before the HH and by a lot more people.

malika
23-06-2005, 12:35
Secondly, if your chaos, flying along on your possessed landspeeder which suddenly decides it doesn't like you a throws you off, your not gonna be too happy really are you?
But then the same thing could be said about tanks and other daemon possessed vehicles

Sai-Lauren
23-06-2005, 13:04
okay, somewhat outdated, but Space Marine 1st edition was set during the Horus Heresy, and included Whirlwinds (the only 3 vehicles* in the basic box were Land Raiders, Rhino's and Whirlwinds)

*stats that is, you were supposed to use the Rhino's to represent the Whirlwinds
Yep, and Codex Titanicus added more kit (like Jetbikes, Land Speeders and so on) that were loyalist and traitor. They started diverging when the chaos army list got printed in WD (129 IIRC), and 2nd edition drove the wedge between them.

Because, this is only a game and the ones writing the rules didn't like the idea, as well as they didn't like the idea of loyalist space marines toting around 4 plasma guns.
And there in lies the reason. Why play loyalists when you can play traitor, still have all the loyalist kit, plus gifts, daemons and all the rest? Just because one army has something doesn't mean the next army has to have that or an exact analogue as well.

Of course, there's nothing stopping you designing a chaos land speeder and VDRing it, just the same as there's nothing stopping loyalist players from building a non-daemonic defiler. You may not have any special rules, and you won't be able to use it in a tournament, but I'd personally play against it in a pick-up game.

Delicious Soy
23-06-2005, 13:19
Could also have something to do with the fact that the Eye of Terror is a pretty messed up place with regards to gravity and the lavws of physics in general - perhaps such technologies aren't quite as practical in there.
Pretty much what I'm thinking. Anti-grav plates need a magnetic field to function, which may be a bit of a problem when the planet screams in torment and rivers run uphill full of blood.

In terms of maitenance, is a possessed landspeeder capable of supporting itself without the functioning grav plate? In the EoT mabe, but out in reality, its another ballgame. If a daemon can will the device it resides in to hover, why doesn't a Landraider go for a quick flight over enemy lines?

charlie_c67
23-06-2005, 13:30
But then the same thing could be said about tanks and other daemon possessed vehicles
True, but what would you rather be kicked out of? A tank/war machine at ground level going ~40 mph or a land speeder, potentially at a few thousand feet up if deep striking and travelling at ~200 + mph?

malika
23-06-2005, 13:49
And there in lies the reason. Why play loyalists when you can play traitor, still have all the loyalist kit, plus gifts, daemons and all the rest? Just because one army has something doesn't mean the next army has to have that or an exact analogue as well.
Dont confuse this for a powergamer need...I mean I dont want Eldar Land Raiders and Ork Wave Serpents...Im just saying that the Chaos Space Marine forces have ALMOST everything the loyalists have too.

charlie_c67
23-06-2005, 14:01
Another example of the way Chaos troops can't always cope with Imperial technology, such as it is, is their use of reaper autocannons and mk1 plasma weapons rather than assault cannons and mkx plasma weapons.

malika
23-06-2005, 14:10
That is because these weapons were produced after the Horus Heresy, the Land Speeder isnt

charlie_c67
23-06-2005, 14:25
Were they? :confused: Then why when the reaper autocannon came out did the WD say that the reason they'd not kept the AC was cos they couldn't cope with the tech to keep it together and reverted?

malika
23-06-2005, 14:27
Wait...when the Reaper Autocannon came out they didnt keep the Assault Cannon because they could not cope with it?

The Assault Cannon came out after the Reaper Autocannon, the Assault Cannon was a weapon what was produced after the Horus Heresy.

charlie_c67
23-06-2005, 14:38
No, when the reaper cannon was first produced in mini form, the article that went with it said that the reaper was developed into the AC but subsequently the traitor legions couldn't cope technology needed to keep the AC working properly and reverted back to reapers. Bearing in mind that was 2nd ed fluff, where does it say the AC came out after the HH?

malika
23-06-2005, 14:43
The traitor legions couldnt cope with assault cannons, this would mean the assault cannon came in production before the Heresy...but why would they have problems with it? I mean why would the traitor legions have difficulty with assault cannons before the Heresy and the loyalists dont?

horrorghost
23-06-2005, 14:48
Didn't a techpriest called Arkham Land discover the STCs for both Land speeder and Land raider? Which would imply that Land speeders were around before HH in the same way Land raiders were, and not developed by Loyalists afterwards.

malika
23-06-2005, 14:49
Why were they stopped being developped by the Loyalists? That makes no sense since it would mean that by now the Imperium would have no more Land Raiders and Land Speeders

charlie_c67
23-06-2005, 14:56
The traitor legions couldnt cope with assault cannons, this would mean the assault cannon came in production before the Heresy...but why would they have problems with it? I mean why would the traitor legions have difficulty with assault cannons before the Heresy and the loyalists dont?
Well the AC's a notriously finicky beast, although the barrels are made of a special alloy they can still overheat and wear out quite quickly meaning they have to be replaced every few battles to lower the possibility of jamming.
Before the HH the traitors would've had access to the same tech as the loyalistss and therefore no problems. Afterwards, however, their level of tech has seemed to have regressed slightly in some areas, plasma weaponary and metallurgy being two. They can't provide the same attention to detail/quality or something to make it feasable. Back in the day it used to be that a roll of three jams together with an AC equalled explosion plus instant death for whoever was toting said weapon. Things have changed since then however.

malika
23-06-2005, 15:02
I dont see how their technology have gone inferior conpared to the Loyalists...since half of the AM sided with Horus and being Traitor would not worship the Machine God probably...hence they would probably have waaaaaaay more freedom in designing technology.

x-esiv-4c
23-06-2005, 15:27
I think what it also comes down to is that you have to have seperation of the SM and CSM lists and still make them balanced. SM have whirlies, Speeders and the such. CSM have Defilers, Obliterators etc etc, So I think over fluff, the reason CSM doesn't pack speeders is that they have to make the lists different enough to be interesting.

charlie_c67
23-06-2005, 15:28
Maybe, but then we don't know the state of the AM that rebelled now do we? Chances are those which piloted things have now became melded into the machine while the others could've been driven insane. But the fact is they have to go back to older more reliable technologies for whatever reason.

x-esiv-4c
23-06-2005, 15:30
How many Ad-mechs rebelled and converted to chaos during the great war?

charlie_c67
23-06-2005, 15:40
Half of the entire Ad-mech I think.

xBARTx
23-06-2005, 15:55
You should remember that in order to maintain equipment you need not only personel but also infrastructure - tools, factories etc. True - half of the AdMech. joined the traitors, but I doubt that half of the infrastructure did that too :-P

charlie_c67
23-06-2005, 16:05
I also think that planets like Midrenguard (sp?) that perturabo owns is in the minority.

x-esiv-4c
23-06-2005, 16:06
hehe good point. But i'm sure the traitor-ad-mech cobbled some kind of infrastructure in 'el warpo'...Someone has to build the chassis for the Defilers.

xBARTx
23-06-2005, 16:14
That could be true. BUT, to construct tanks you need less-precise tools and facilities than high-tech anti-grav and deconstruction, moving and reconstruction of precise equipment is much more difficult. Enviroment also plays a role - for example almost all present-day electronics factories (at least those that want to produce reliable hi-tech) are constructed in tectonic-stabile places, not to mention, for exaple, huge metal/concrete supports in the ground as even the slightest movement could very well mean fatal error.

x-esiv-4c
23-06-2005, 16:17
Ok, so what we have concluded is that chaos lacks the finesse to create small parts needed for grav systems because they would rather the nano-driver into eachothers eyesockets then actually build something :)

I suppose it takes much less effort to build a Rhino then a speeder....Maybe they should leash up a flock of screamers to a Rhino, kind of like a demented Santa-sled.

charlie_c67
23-06-2005, 16:30
Interesting conversion project alert ...

Don't know much about anti-grav but if crystals are involved somewhere then I guess it's a case that they can't be grown in an unwarped state by the traitor legions.

Rich
23-06-2005, 17:01
It is most likely a combination of lacking th infrstructure, lacking the will (not the kind fo warfare that chaos marines normally indulge in) and lacking the STCs - there's a good chance that some STCs are/were restricted, like the Baneblade being only made on certain worlds, so it may have been that the worlds which rebelled didn't happen to have a copy of those particular STCs. The fact is though, we are once more retrospectively trying to apply logic to a creation of the 'rule of cool'.

Delicious Soy
24-06-2005, 01:51
Perhaps an examination of the different methods of warfare conducted by the traitors and loyalists would help. IMO the CSM's aren't as reliant on support as the Loyalists, they aren't bound to having less capable fleet ships, can operate in samll numbers to create havoc. In that way, many CSM's operate more like SM scouts than SM's, often running sabotage and terrorism campagins. For parts of their campaign they are going to be operating for extended periods with little or no HQ or strong command centre. While a Landspeeder would help them greatly in these situation, the maitenance required would rule them out, whereas the SM's usually utilise the Landspeeder as a 'roving reserve' operating from a strong base in a patrol capacity, where it can be maintained.

Nazguire
24-06-2005, 10:58
I think that the main reason that you don't hear of them is that they

a) are very very rare due to lack of materials/expertise to maintain.
b) They do have them, but for game balanace they aren't in the book
c) Due to doctrinal difficulties, they don't use them as much. E.g. A Plague Marine riding a land speeder? A thousand son flying a jetbike/chariot?

I am willing to bet that they DO have them, just that they aren't in the background as the SM need a few things to make them appear to have an advantage or whatever, or as I said before, the doctrines of the Legions stop them using them or that the expertise (aka techpriest) has either died out/mutated so that the knowledge to repair/maintain them is rare.

Typheron
24-06-2005, 12:55
origionally in some of the older fluff it was the case that the only supply of one of the critical components in the manufacture of AG tech was a very huge storage facility on terra. It also said that during the herasy the means to produce more of this material was lost when the forgeworld that specilised in making it was distroyed in the fighting. I think it mentioned the material being some sort of plate which was the emmiter for the AG tech, although im not entirely sure about that.

So supposedly the only supply of the stuff is now located in a massive admech storage facility on terra. The supply is finite as none of the tech priests that new how to create the material survived the destruction of the forge world so getting your hands on replacement parts for AG systems that are damaged beyond repair requires a shipment from terra which oviously chaos aint gonna get.

Whither or not any tech priests or ad-mech that went to chaos who knew of how to make AG tech survived and are still sane enough to make the stuff in the EoT are left is unknown. Also given the shear amount of AG stuff thats flying arropund i think that the fluff may have changed a bit from this version to the "well we can still make it but its REALLY hard to do and only on mars" way of explaining things for the imperium.

Rich
24-06-2005, 17:35
On the other hand though you have Dan Abnett novels where everybody on a planet seems to have an anti-grav vehicle :rolleyes: It's probably less to do with being unab le to build them and more to do with tactical doctrine and maintenance. chaos just don't use much high maintenance stuff, it simply doesnt last well in the eye (as they were kicked into the eye in the first place, I would imagine everything they have is very much what they could ride there or pick up and carry - they weren't about to take complex machinery/equipment with them anyway unless it had a good practical purpose.

Nazguire
25-06-2005, 06:16
Whither or not any tech priests or ad-mech that went to chaos who knew of how to make AG tech survived and are still sane enough to make the stuff in the EoT are left is unknown. Also given the shear amount of AG stuff thats flying arropund i think that the fluff may have changed a bit from this version to the "well we can still make it but its REALLY hard to do and only on mars" way of explaining things for the imperium.

I much prefer the "Hard to make but its still there" philosophy. Otherwise no new Chapters would have Tactical Dreadnought Armour/Dreadnoughts/few plasma weaponry etc etc. The Imperial Guard would be basically equipped with just the lasgun while the Grey Knights would be simply grey painted space marines...

Sir_Turalyon
25-06-2005, 09:45
It doesn't fit them very much - what a self respecting chaos marine would crew a fast light fire support vehicle which can neighter engage enemy close and personal nor just shoot them to pieces while shruging off hits? Not nearly brutal enough. Not nearly macho enough. Too "weak".

I can (hardly) imagine slaaneshi marines to use them just to show how sophisticted they are, but I think they would not value such style of warfare, eighter. And before you speak of Night Lords, speeder wil hardly terrorise anybody.

Nurglitch_PS
25-06-2005, 16:36
I don't think that the argument about maintenance is feasible.

First thing: Chaos can maintain and even develop quite sophisticated weapon platforms, from battleships (which routinely utilise grav tech) and dropships, to Land Raiders and Defilers.

Second thing: agrav doesn't seem to be that fickle, unreliable and maintenance-intensive as some of the people here say. It is obviously stable and easy enough, to mass-produce hundreds of thousands of gravchutes, a lot of them being one-use only, to outfit all the space vessels with artificial gravity and so on.

The reason seems to be just the tactical doctrine. Spaces Marines use variety of doctrines, from glass cannons like the White Scars, to assault freaks like the Space Wolves. Chaos usually goes for heavy-duty hard-hitting equipment, with good armour and tremendous firepower. Landspeeders just do not suit them.

Brother Othorio
25-06-2005, 16:54
And before you speak of Night Lords, speeder wil hardly terrorise anybody.

erm, neither do Rhino's.. Night Lords dont care about the actual tearing people to bits, (if they did it for the pleasure of tearing people to bits they would still be Khornate) they care about the fear this causes in the people who werent torn to bits.. another way to cause fear is to hit the enemy hard where they least expect it, lightning fast strikes, the sort of thing that independant squadrons of Land Speeders are perfect at..

addendum: Slaaneshi marines, no i dont see them fielding Land Speeders to show off their sophisitcation, but i can DEFINATELY see the old legions Land Speeder crewmen becoming a sort of Speed Freak cult (Slaanesh is about experience and thrill, not just sex)

Talkie Toaster
25-06-2005, 20:52
I don't think that the argument about maintenance is feasible.
Second thing: agrav doesn't seem to be that fickle, unreliable and maintenance-intensive as some of the people here say. It is obviously stable and easy enough, to mass-produce hundreds of thousands of gravchutes, a lot of them being one-use only, to outfit all the space vessels with artificial gravity and so on.
Those types don't neccessarily use the same anti-grav methods though, or at least don't require refinement to the same tolerances. Anti-grav on ships could use massive crystals that could be relatively irregular (they don't need the fine control in combat situations and the like, and even 10% fluctuation in gravity in different areas in the ship wouldn't make a massive difference, it wouldn't suprise me if they had 1/10 gravity in fighter loading bays and torpedo handling areas anyway), and grav-chutes are, like you mentioned, disposable and mass-produced, so it doesn't matter if they burn out and can't be used after one drop.

Kahadras
26-06-2005, 00:30
I always thought that the Landspeder STC was discovered after the Horus heresy. I know the Imperium had jet bikes during the heresy but they were phased out of service as the tech to maintain them became to difficult to keep up with and the larger but more reliable Landspeeder was discovered.

Kahadras

malika
28-06-2005, 15:16
Okay...so the technology is not stable enough for the EOT (which is what some of you claim), this would mean that the Alpha Legion for example would have access to these things (and perhaps also Assault Cannons) since they are in the Imperium.

charlie_c67
28-06-2005, 15:43
How though? The Alpha legion as I understand it have links to the common people, who in turn don't have links to speeder tech.

malika
28-06-2005, 15:59
They have links to Imperial tech. Land Speeders couldnt function because the technology and chrystals were in the Imperium and not in the EOT. The Alpha Legion can 'simply' get these due to the fact they are inside the Imperium and probably have connections with renegade Adeptus Mechanicus or other factions with technology.

Khaine's Messenger
28-06-2005, 18:31
The reason Chaos doesn't have landspeeders is the same reason they "don't have apothecaries, librarians, and techmarines," and the same reason the Eldar armylist doesn't make sense when you think too hard at it--'tis a thematic armylist, made "different" in part just for the sake of being different. The only background to the effect of limiting Chaos in possible use of Landspeeders would be their relative popularity/production during the Horus Heresy and/or their ability to maintain/construct such devices given their present state....

Neither of which hold any real water, as most of a Land Speeder's functionality could just as easily be facilitated by daemonic sorcery if not directly by bound daemons, not to mention the whole Dark Mechanicum business (if not outright theft).

If someone wrote a story about CSM on landspeeders or with whirlwinds, I really wouldn't mind. But ruleswise, eh...I suppose it's just one of those "things."

P.S. Space Wolves will teleport. They just don't like to do it. Therefore someone decided that they should make a rule against it, presumably to add "character" to the armylist....