PDA

View Full Version : What Happened in Mousillon?

UNKNOWN CTAN
29-08-2006, 10:55
I know that Mousillon is a cursed Dukedom in Brettonia and envolved the duke claiming kingship with a fake grail and the civil war but then what happened , i know the Duke was ment to be killed but in some fluff i cant remember were it is roumored he was a vampire/chaos worshiper, dose any one know what happened to him or is it just unknow?

Jedi152
29-08-2006, 11:04
Basically: I was a shining paragon of evrytihng a city should be. The Duke, Maldred was hansome and an excellent fighter, his bride Malfleur was one of the most beautiful lasses in Bretonnia.

But it hid a rotting city. It's wealth was from illicit deals made my Maldred, and dark magic done by Malfleur. It's citizens wouldn't go out after dark - the only movement was from the mask and robe wearing crews of black ships that arrived every night.

While the city died, the nobles partied. All night, every night. The local knights became more and more suspicious until Maldred openly declared that he had found the grail and that the Grail Knights, and Morgiana le Fay herself were traitors.

The grail knights laid seige to the city, which held out for months before the gates mysteriously swung open one night. Everyone in the city was dead - rotten corpses filled the streets. upon entering the palace Maldred and Malfleur were found dead in their thrones surrounded by the rotting bodies of the nobility, Maldred still clutching the false grail (which was filled with some eeevil liquid.) Everyone has contracted the red pox, or something.

Basically that's it. The palace was bricked up and sealed on the Fay Enchantresses advice and left. The bodies of the peasantry were buried in mass graves, but nothing would grow in those areas, and still won't.

UNKNOWN CTAN
29-08-2006, 11:17
so he's not a vampire/chaos worshiper? but that is pretty odd they were all dead lol and funny

ryng_sting
29-08-2006, 15:50
Centuries before Maldred, there was a Mousillon Duke named Merovech. After the Skaven first released the Red Pox into Bretonnia, he led his knights (who were unaffected) to Parravon and struck the decisive blow against the Skaven. He was obsessed with restoring Mousillon's former glory - and some say to achieve this, he dabbled in evil directions. His knights wore black and seldom removed their visors. Merovech himself was known for hacking his victims apart in a frenzy long after their deaths.

He was in the habit of hosting banquets with impaled prisoners in the dining rooms, and executing peasants he passed in the day. When the King denounced him, Merovech slew him in unarmed combat. The Bretonnians promptly besieged his dukedom and finally slew him, at the cost of many men. This implies Merovech was a Khorne worshipper.

Apparently, there's a new, self-appointed Duke in Mousillon. He wears black armour, never removes his visor, and claims to be related to the King.

Shaper Shakra
29-08-2006, 16:07
Isn't there a secret surprise uber pow-pow army growing in Mousillon right now? Anyways, I blame the Lady. She probably got pissy and set the red pox down upon them.

Tastyfish
30-08-2006, 17:07
However the curse dates back further than that to Landuin, one of the Grail Companions. At this point it was the paragon of kingdoms, though still fairly dangerous and wild as all places in the warhammer world are. Giles and his armies came and cleared the land of orcs and recruited Landuin to come with him. However on his return the land was besieged by undead, Landuin and the other companions eventually destroyed the army but the land and the knight were forever changed.

Curse might have something to do with the fight that Landuin and Theirulf (another Grail knight) had, which has been suggested to be about infidelities with one or the others wife, or it might be the curse was the cause of it rather than the result.

Might also have something to do with the Grand Sow of the Grismere and the Black Pig of the Woods. The two are sort of representations of the duchy and curse incarnate, or possibly a metaphysical representation of the efforts to lift the curse.

Reabe
30-08-2006, 17:57
He was in the habit of hosting banquets with impaled prisoners in the dining rooms, and executing peasants he passed in the day. When the King denounced him, Merovech slew him in unarmed combat. The Bretonnians promptly besieged his dukedom and finally slew him, at the cost of many men. This implies Merovech was a Khorne worshipper.

What about Khaine?

MadJackMcJack
30-08-2006, 18:24
Merovech was also known for hacking enemies to pieces long after they were dead, and when he killed the King, he tore out his throat and drank his blood. He was either a Blood Knight or a follower of Khorne. Most likely Khorne, as it's unlikely that a vamp would reveal himself so blatantly.

Arnizipal
30-08-2006, 19:57
so he's not a vampire/chaos worshiper? but that is pretty odd they were all dead lol and funny
Look up the Mask of the Red Death by Edgar Allen Poe.
That's how they all died.

Feinagh
01-09-2006, 13:45
Here (http://www.blackindustries.com/default.asp?template=productinfo&range=wfrp&product=60040283014) you will find WFRP material related to Mousillon. You will find the stories of Landuin the Fair, Merovech the Butcher and Maldred the Foul in "The Tale of Maldred" at the bottom of the webpage.

Feinagh

Wings of Doom
01-09-2006, 18:40
What about Khaine?

Who's differant from khorne in almsot every way imaginable :rolleyes:

The VC have a magic item- the cursed shield of Mousillon. I always thought one of their dukes ended up being a blood dragon- more fool me.

Sandlemad
02-09-2006, 21:41
Might also have something to do with the Grand Sow of the Grismere and the Black Pig of the Woods. The two are sort of representations of the duchy and curse incarnate, or possibly a metaphysical representation of the efforts to lift the curse.

Did you forget a :p or is that serious background? If so, maybe beastmen or chaos influence on the land?

ryng_sting
03-09-2006, 21:43
They're from the RP book. They're meant to illustrate a few of the thousands of superstitions about Mousillon.

Tastyfish
04-09-2006, 01:57
Its official, if not entirely serious. You see this is the trouble you get when the forces of Chaos will manifest in the forms and with the goals that are expected of them. If 90% of your duchy, or even country, is inbred peasant then some sort of metaphysical foolery is only to be expected.

For your information, the Grand Sow is an ascended pig, much in the same way that Sigmar or a Daemon prince gains immortality. Originally the biggest pig born in living memory born into an area which saturated by millenia of superstition (the majority also pig related), she now has a complex set of myths and legends surrounding her.

For those who know (and it isn't techincally breaking copyright as its a conversion) her stats are

M6 WS4 BS0 S5 T4 W3 I3 A1 Ld8 Fearless, cause Fear

Rathgar
17-09-2006, 16:30
It’s fairly clear that Mousillon had the potential to become the land it is today before even the Unification of Bretonnia. As to what the actual trigger was, I don’t think anyone can say. There are multiple points in the history of the Lost Duchy were things could have gone awry. Maldred and Merovech can very easily be pointed out as possibly causing the fall, but I think they’re more symptom of the rot that has sent in on this most unfortunate land.

There do seem to be some fairly strong hints that it’s all got something to do with Landuin (even if he’s in some way a catalyst rather than a definite cause). The two most obvious points at which something could have happened are when he rides alone into the Undead horde besieging Mousillon and kills the leading Necromancer (978 i.c) or the duel between Landuin and Thierulf (1003 i.c). Landuin also appear to have lived for quite a long time, he dies in 1045 i.c, that’s 70 years after he joins Gilles great quests. So he must have been at least 90 if not older. All seems to add suspicion doesn’t it?

I can’t help shaking the felling that The Grey Men of Mousillon are somehow involved as well. To be honest I think there are multiple possible answers to this one. It’s a puzzle without an answer. Which of course, are the best of all mysteries.

ryng_sting
18-09-2006, 18:20
True, but all the Grail Companions led extended lives as a result of drinking from the grail, as do contemporary Grail Knights.

Reabe
18-09-2006, 18:34
Who's differant from khorne in almsot every way imaginable :rolleyes:

Well, Khaine has a cult in the Old World, maybe bigger than Khorne.

And, heck, it's boring when every damn blood-letting cult are said to be Khorne-cults.

And it'd be cool if the evil was started off by Dark Elves, like the whole Necromancy thing. :D

Atanasije
18-09-2006, 18:40
I agree that Mousillon is a puzzle without an answer, but I would also like to point out the analogy between Sylvania, and this cursed dukedom. For years the electors of Empire suspected nothing, and then Vlad struck (as did Manfred also).

And in this present time, all eyes are aimed north - towards the chaos lands; and the armies of the Old world face this danger (good and evil alike), and this ignorance is the perfect ground for the dark forces in such cursed lands to plot attacks and muster forces, so that they may strike when the defenders are unprepared and exhausted from wars.

UNKNOWN CTAN
21-09-2006, 21:53
but didnt manfred have the chance at the battle of whats it called i forgget the name but it was when he beat arceon and then turned on the humans so if he wanted to he could have struk couldnt he?

Voltaire
21-09-2006, 22:27
He had the problem of facing the somewhat Chaotically charged Volkmar, he had the problem of Teclis and Karl Franz and a possibility of Archaon counter charging him in the back. As well as all of that, Mannfred had Vardek Crom encroaching on Slyvania. It would have been folly to march on the Empire and let Crom conquer a secure route.

I was under the impression that the current King is 90 years old and becoming a bit obsessed with Mousillion. Is there anything to that?

Rathgar
22-09-2006, 07:27
but didnt manfred have the chance at the battle of whats it called i forgget the name but it was when he beat arceon and then turned on the humans so if he wanted to he could have struk couldnt he?

We don’t take to kindly to the Storm of Chaos background round these parts…

UNKNOWN CTAN
22-09-2006, 20:56
ok bt even with the really stupid tangent it went off on it is still warhammer history ( even if it is odd and kinda stupid) and anyway manfred could still attack the empire if he wanted, couldnt he?

RobC
22-09-2006, 22:05
Isn't there something in the new edition of Warhammer that specifically states that there will be no timeline advances (and therefore no godawful global campaigns) in 7th edition?

UNKNOWN CTAN
22-09-2006, 22:23
it dose but that wond stop them finding an excuse to make another uber campain that confuses all that atempt to play it lol:D :D :D

Reabe
22-09-2006, 22:24
Isn't there something in the new edition of Warhammer that specifically states that there will be no timeline advances (and therefore no godawful global campaigns) in 7th edition?

Yes, the timeline will get no further than 2522's winter. But, sadly, there could still be godawful campaigns. Mostly being ones where Ogre Kingdoms can take part in despite they shouldn't of been able to get that far throughout the Warhammer World, certainly because they only appeared after the Storm of Chaos.

RobC
23-09-2006, 11:54
I think the reasoning behind this decision is to avoid any background massacres such as that which happened during the last two global campaigns. I suspect the Design Studio (perhaps with a little prodding from the BI team?) recognise the damage that such campaigns can do to a setting, and so will actively avoid them.

Therefore any future campaigns will be strictly non-game-changing or historical.