PDA

View Full Version : Hexagonal Bases? RT era 40k?

jimbobodoll
29-08-2006, 11:55
If i stretch my mind back i swear i can remember hexagonal bases for models in 40k... Can anyone confirm/deny this?

Further, can anyone remember what they were for? I have a foggy memory they were for line of sight where your model could only, "see" and therefore fire out of the front 2 sides... 60 degrees... Please correct me if im going mad!

Finally, what's the opinion on hexagonal bases stylistically? Would a 40k army nowadays look cool with them :D or kinda lame :eyebrows: ?

IJW
29-08-2006, 11:59
I seem to remember they were mostly used for boardgames rather than war games or 40k. My Solitaire is on one, if just to make the model stand out from the rest of the army even more.

Chem-Dog
29-08-2006, 12:08
Yes there were Hex bases, the Baneblade templates in UKWD 132 required 4 hex bases for the sponson turrets.

Tensor
29-08-2006, 12:13
Hex bases were mainly used for the GW boardgames of old, like Talisman.

Jellicoe
29-08-2006, 20:21
There were some hex bases that were released with 40k figs. I have a bearded marine with a chainsaw on one. Absolutely no idea why it came with a hexagonal base - maybe a mistake who knows but this was circa 1988 and therefore lost in the mists of time

Lockheed
29-08-2006, 20:24
My old Hive Tyrant is based on a metal hexagonal base. I do not recall where it came from though I don't beleive it came with the model.

Crube
29-08-2006, 20:28
The old epic Hive tyrant came on a 25mm round base, and all the 40K HT's have some on 40mm square ones...

I too remember the Hex bases, but why 40K mini's came with them, I duuno...be interesing to find out...

William Moran
29-08-2006, 21:03
I don't think it really matters now does it, can't buy the old rule book's, can't find anyone to play with em even if you did. Anyway's the old Rogue trader rule book had hex bases in the example diagrams of the rules, can't for the life of me remember citidel releasing any min'swith hex bases though.

Crube
29-08-2006, 21:04
Does it really matter? No?

Just curious that's all...

William Moran
29-08-2006, 22:18
Crube your older than me, what did you do with your time when you were a teen when 1st still about?

jimbobodoll
30-08-2006, 02:20
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen.

Thank you for your kind replies.

It matters because i am thinking of basing my next 40k army on hexagonal bases.
I'm thinking itll make them stand out and look kinda cool. Im posting a pic of what i remember the rules to be. I've had a bit of epiphany... Could it be that i am remembering the confrontation rules? If there are any "grey beards" out there who could inform me, id appreciate it.
Why? Well it will give me precident to feild a 40k army on hexagons rather than circles... And that seems kinda cool to me! :wtf: Yes im a geek... mmm :D

Crube
30-08-2006, 10:01
Jimbobdoll, you may have it, although, having recently sold all my WD's back to 110, I can't confirm it 100%...

When I was a teen, I mostly played football, WFRP, Bloodbowl, WFRP, oh and WFRP...;)

Sniper Kelly
30-08-2006, 10:36
I remember the old hex bases, I sill have some of them. They were definitely pre-Confrontation, but I don't remember any of them being packaged with 40k models. There were lots of other ranges back then: Chainsaw Warrior, Rogue Troopers, Judge Dredd, Talisman etc, so probably they came with those.