PDA

View Full Version : Mongoose to go pre-painted

Brandir
29-08-2006, 13:48
It looks like Mongoose is going pre-painted with its miniature lines Starship Troopers and Battlefield Evolution:

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/?p=3043

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/?p=3045

Reabe
29-08-2006, 14:08
It knocks out a large part of the hobby, but if you don't like their paint scheme I'm sure you can either paint over it or dip it and then paint the paintless model. If I start playing Starship Troopers, that's what I'd do since I feel that unpainted models don't seem personal enough to me.

Sephiroth
29-08-2006, 14:30
If the shown MI, Arachnids and Exo-suits are the final product and they manage to keep their current prices for them, I will most definitely be picking this up.

Wolf Scout Ewan
29-08-2006, 14:59
Prepainted? Hoho thats funny!

I hope this is a sick joke.

However, I am interested in those rules and figs for evolution.

Sephiroth
29-08-2006, 15:11
Prepainted? Hoho thats funny!

I hope this is a sick joke.

At least give the pre-painted miniatures a look before dismissing them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Zekk/evopre4.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Zekk/evopre5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Zekk/evopre7.jpg

The models in the above pictures (Yep, even the bugs) are the final pre-paint quality to be sold in the boxed sets. Also, their fully plastic, of standard miniature quality (no bending bits).

I'm impressed personally. The new LMI are better sculpts than the metal counterparts, the Arachnid warriors have always been good. I forsee a Klendathu Invasion in my gaming future.

Crazy Harborc
29-08-2006, 19:05
Gee, prepainted? The photos do look good. (All the GW fanatics should like the idea...the minies might cost more than GW's do-it-yourselves minies):D

Sephiroth
29-08-2006, 20:29
Gee, prepainted? The photos do look good. (All the GW fanatics should like the idea...the minies might cost more than GW's do-it-yourselves minies):D

To quote what's been stated in the forum:

Funny story here - it has been the Rackham range that have driven us forward. We planned to do a pre-painted range of models and were using the latest WotC models as the baseline to beat (some of their later Star Wars stuff is not half bad). Then Rackham released the first photos of their new range.

Urk, we thought. They are a bit good.

So, we funnelled everything we could into development, trying to match the first photos Rackham released, thinking they were the production models.

Now it turns out they may not be - but we still have this production quality on our hands...

Essentially, they went overkill on the quality, as they fought Rackham's AT-43 studio paint jobs were the pre-painted stuff.

Anyway, back to pricing - our aim is to keep the price no more than you would pay for equivalent unpainted metals (which will actually be cheaper, as you don't need to buy paint, etc...)

Imagine a 40k where all the models are painted to an expert-level. That is what we are aiming for.

High quality pre-painted miniatures, for roughly the same cost as the current range. :D

Crube
29-08-2006, 20:36
Hmm, when I first read this, I thought...uh oh....

Having seen the pictueres, if they are the final production models, then thay are impressive.

For me, I wont bother, as the main part of the wargaming hobby is the painting.

As an aside, how would people feel about playing against an army of prepainted models that look better than you own, hand painted ones....?

BlazeXI
29-08-2006, 21:00
When I first got into Warhammer the painting was fun, but soon I could not keep up with it. And then I recalled my vacations in Greece when I was around 8 years old. I remembered those sets of historical painted minis. My dad did not buy them for me, I guess they were expensive. There also were those English war minis with metal rectangular bases. I had German WWII and American Civil War Confederates. Those were awesome (if someone recalls the brand please post me a link.
Anyhow, I did sort of think, how would it sell if GW did suck "Buy 'n' Play" boxed sets. Looks like they won't be setting trends for the industry in this matter.

Sephiroth
29-08-2006, 21:05
Hmm, when I first read this, I thought...uh oh....

Having seen the pictueres, if they are the final production models, then thay are impressive.

Again, to quote what's been said by Mongoose on the forum:

Yes, you are looking at the final paint quality - this is something we have worked very hard to achieve, principally because we saw the pre-painted samples from A N Other company (Note: Rackham). When they turned out to _not_ be the production quality, we were left holding these wicked creations in our hands :)

As an aside, how would people feel about playing against an army of prepainted models that look better than you own, hand painted ones....?

How would I feel playing against someone with pre-painted models better than mine, or how would I feel playing with pre-painted models of a higher standard to my own?

For me, I've never been fussed over painting quality, provided the models have actually been painted (a rule in my game group being you can't play without a 'basic' level of paint on the model).

If someone has taken the time to paint their miniatures to a high standard, I will ask if I may admire them, and then tell said painter how cool their work is. If it's better than mine or worse really doesn't affect me - I just find unpainted models ruin the atmosphere of the game. So, basic painting standard is considered pleasent. Two superb painted armies is a bonus.

Persephone
29-08-2006, 21:15
And who knows if they will looks like this come actual production time.

baphomael
30-08-2006, 01:51
Hmm, I'm in two minds.

On the one hand I do enjoy painting an modelling. Its a whole part of the hobby and to leave that out seems to be leaving out the soul of what its all about.
Of course, on the other hand I'm a pragmatist. As much as I enjoy painting and modelling I dont always have enough time to do it. With "Real Life"(tm) taking so much of my time I can barely keep up with one army for one game...but there are so many pretty toys I want and so many games I want to play. Prepainted stuff (of a good quality. From the looks of it its not gonna be this CMG style crap) would let me get into a new game easily and not have to worry about the time spent painting it up.

Anyways, this "Battlefield Evolution" game intrigues me. Is it just me or is it basically Battlefield 2 transfered to a tabletop setting? Looking at the proposed factions for it they are direct lifts from Battlefield 2. Did I miss Mongoose getting a whole new games license?

Senbei
30-08-2006, 08:53
I wondered the same...... The mention of other armies doesn't make it seem that way though......

idinos
30-08-2006, 10:03
The photos look ok, but what would you expect to be written in Mongoose's forum? That the figures are mediocre or that they kick more ass than individually painted ones?

Pokpoko
30-08-2006, 10:12
Did I miss Mongoose getting a whole new games license?
is USMC or People's Army of China trademark of Electronic Arts(i presume the game is theyr's since the orginal was)? if not, then wht's the problem?:D

generulpoleaxe
30-08-2006, 12:31
i love it when companies claim stuff to be expertly painted.
and then they show something with basic colours and a couple of washes.

these will be done in the east.
it's the only way they could afford it to be done so cheap.

Crube
30-08-2006, 12:35
Remeber GW's series of large scale collectable prepainted resin marines... they were done in China too... so can be done cheaply....

Rabid Bunny 666
30-08-2006, 23:35
Pre Painted... aww, looks like i'll be buying my Marauder Platoon sooner than i wanted to.

Crazy Harborc
31-08-2006, 00:38
If my opponent's army is better to look at than mine...... I enjoy the view.;) I enjoy painting too. NOT more than gaming, my main hobby is wargaming.

cybertron2000uk
31-08-2006, 00:53
looks very nice....now Im intrested!

nanite
31-08-2006, 05:43
Remeber GW's series of large scale collectable prepainted resin marines... they were done in China too... so can be done cheaply....

I was talking about the SST change with My FLSG owner, he mentioned that GW sent out some sample dioramas of pre-painted Ultramarines, and Brettonians. Are those they?

Anyway, I hope these new lines are successful, and I hope the pre-painted minis are all that Mongoose claims.

Rykion
01-09-2006, 18:28
Battlefield Evolution looks like just the type of wargame I have been looking for. Being pre-painted is a plus as I don't have the painting time I did 20 years ago. If I don't like the paint jobs I can always repaint them or add a few details. I just love the fact the minis aren't randomly packaged.

slaughteredbull
01-09-2006, 19:30
Matt Sprange also hinted at full terrain boards being released by Mongoose in the future, now no one can moan about them if they're any good and even GW players would find them handy.

grickherder
02-09-2006, 04:39
The way that these are different from other prepainted miniatures is that they are not prepainted at all. The Wizards of the Coast stuff actually is painted, with this horrible rubber paint. These will have colour infused as part of the production process-- all controlled by computers I believe.

The picture on the forum that includes the prepainted battle suits and the original painted miniature is great. You can't tell them apart.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/product_images/full_size/evopre2.jpg

Can you tell which is a prepaint and which is not?

slaughteredbull
02-09-2006, 13:03
Well I believe that all of them models are pre-painted and the picture that was posted below this one of a single exo-suit was the one that was pro painted and sent to the factory.

When returned the original painter couldn't even tell the difference, so that should give some idea of the quality of the paint jobs.

This initative from Mongoose has definitly decided what the majority of my wargaming allowance will be spent on next year.

BlazeXI
02-09-2006, 14:00
I have spoken with a mate of mine who works for a games distributor and those prepainted sets should cost the same as the regular sets. Moreover, he as a WH40k freak claims this game to be more dynamic and more interesting. Expect the launch od prepainted models to comentce with next years second edition of ST.

grickherder
03-09-2006, 06:28
When returned the original painter couldn't even tell the difference, so that should give some idea of the quality of the paint jobs.

And it explains my mistake as I couldn't tell either.

I'm thinking that those exo suits are just asking to be given a slight camo mod. It'll be super easy to add a dark green, and a light colour along with some weathering.

Epicenter
05-09-2006, 11:04
Frankly, I've never understood why people poo-poo on the whole idea of pre-painted minis - if the cost is within reasonable bounds (and we're all used to GW prices, so our standards of 'reasonable' are pretty loose).

Unpainted armies look like utter *****, so do the eterna-primer armies. Very few people who I've gamed with ever have completely painted armies, let alone armies that are even painted "mostly" to the "poor" standards of like early *clix/MageKnight models, let alone the stuff we're seeing here.

Personally, I'd be happy to buy pre-painted stuff. It's a godsend for boring rank-and-file minis that nobody wants to spend time painting. If I don't like the scheme or think my skills are better (like most painters, I do think this), I can always strip a few at a time and paint them to my liking while still fielding a completely painted force.

No, my fear is that even after pre-painted armies come out, I'm going to be the unlucky schmuck who has to play that one guy who shows up with a stripped Starship Troopers or AT-43 army (you know the kind) or whose army has been primered white and he'll tell me:

Him: "Well, I hate pre-painted stuff, it's just horrible and destroys creativity and personal intiative! So I'm going to repaint my entire army!"

Me: "Yeah, that's great. I do agree with you there, but I do like pre-painted stuff, because I'm lazy and hate the tedium of painting rank-and-file guys. So when'd you start stripping your army?"

Him: "A year ago. I've been too busy to do anything with it since, but I'll do it someday!"

Yech. I dread this day, I tell you.

asmodai_dark86
05-09-2006, 13:43
Hmmmmmmmm is what I say to this, and stroke my new beard - hmmmmm

Mongoose talk big and they do deliver.... eventually.

I worked with the MI two years ago (btw the current MI scheme - I came up with that, and have the letter from Marc Fairmond to prove it) and Mongoose were excitable then so what there upto now who knows.

I'd like to see it happen, and doing this they could easily be bigger then GW - after all, the biggest turn off of the hobby is sitting around painting models (for some), so this is something quick and painless that actually looks good.

But its still a way away...

I'd like to remind you all of the mess with the plastic light MI (6 months late, came in metal), and the saga of BOTH troop transports that were due 'around the same time as the light MI'...

Re-reading it again, this tickled me
'US Marine Corps, the European Federation Task Force, the Middle Eastern Alliance and the Chinese PLA'

I like how a british company lumps us in with the europeans whilst the american marine core gets its own force. Very sad indeed I say.

And middle east alliance? I have a bad feeling about that fraction I really do... I can see it now, iraqi insurgants with buggies. Ah well

Rabid Bunny 666
05-09-2006, 13:52
At least it proves how influential Battlefield 2 has been :D

edit: No Russians?

Pokpoko
05-09-2006, 15:21
I like how a british company lumps us in with the europeans whilst the american marine core gets its own force. Very sad indeed I say.
why? i find it rather nice that at least someone belives that the fat men in Brussels will finally get it together to form the long overdue EuroArmy:D

emperorpenguin
05-09-2006, 16:30

but there are moves towards a European army. Besides Britain almost never fights alone so you'd have only ended up fielding them alongside the Yanks anyway!
At least the French and Germans won't shoot us in friendly fire incidents! :p

Brandir
05-09-2006, 16:57
but there are moves towards a European army. Besides Britain almost never fights alone so you'd have only ended up fielding them alongside the Yanks anyway!
At least the French and Germans won't shoot us in friendly fire incidents! :p

Perhaps we should be part of the US Marine Corps faction?

But, having read the newspapers yesterday maybe Mongoose have accepted the inevitable?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006410088,,00.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/09/03/neu03.xml

Back on topic I am beginning to wonder if GW will produce pre-painted Warhammer/WH40K minis at some stage.

asmodai_dark86
05-09-2006, 18:07
Ahhh so the french DO hold guns :P

I dunno theres no need for it - the british army never fights on its on technically, but it could if it wanted.. Just saying thats all

I see the 'will GW produce painted minis' question pop up all the time and the answers simple. No. They've never shown an inkling towards that, and besides - GW sales there own brushes/paint/glue/paint desk(!) why would they ever switch the pre-painted and lose money.

grickherder
05-09-2006, 20:34
Ahhh so the french DO hold guns :P

The French are up their fighting for the spot of world's largest arms dealers with the US and Russia. If they simply stopped supplying the 3rd world and armed themselves instead, they could produce a rather large army assuming they could find soldiers to hold those weapons.

emperorpenguin
05-09-2006, 23:53
But, having read the newspapers yesterday maybe Mongoose have accepted the inevitable?.

Ah the good old Sun and Torygraph spouting more evil Germans under the bed stuff. Those papers **** me off.

and besides - GW sales there own brushes/paint/glue/paint desk(!) why would they ever switch the pre-painted and lose money.

yup Chaos Black paint has long been GW's best selling item!

The French are up their fighting for the spot of world's largest arms dealers with the US and Russia. If they simply stopped supplying the 3rd world and armed themselves instead, they could produce a rather large army assuming they could find soldiers to hold those weapons.

The French army is actually quite good, and the UK is one of the world's leading arms suppliers...

Shipmonkey
06-09-2006, 08:52
At least it proves how influential Battlefield 2 has been :D

edit: No Russians?

But, please remember, according to Sprange, the game is not trying to ride BF2s coattails. It's totally unique, despite somehow having acquired the Battlefield name and having it's four first armies match BF2s. EAs law team must be preprepping their case now.

Senbei
06-09-2006, 12:43
Heheh, On the bright side, If the Euro-State did end up formed like that.... We'd get a 'Northern Periphery'... Just... less Pirates with Battlemechs in this one I believe... Otherwise they'd have to give Wick better roads.......

idinos
07-09-2006, 09:36
Britain might be a protectorate of the US in the game, much like Puerto Rico, so there should be no cause for concern that you will be thrown in with the continental scum!

Pokpoko
07-09-2006, 15:52
erm...in the release list, the british infantry and challanger II tanks(along with SAS) are placed in the "European Force"...
poko, the continental scum:P

Senbei
08-09-2006, 16:09
Don't worry... The American forces get Mounties )_)

emperorpenguin
09-09-2006, 01:32
Britain might be a protectorate of the US in the game, much like Puerto Rico, so there should be no cause for concern that you will be thrown in with the continental scum!

Nope the British are the first releases in the European Task Force, followed by the French and Germans

Senbei
10-09-2006, 23:12
Nope the British are the first releases in the European Task Force, followed by the French and Germans

As I'm sure has already been mentioned... At least this will cut down friendly fire...... Lets just hope the game doesnt use air support rules..... They'd probably give us the Euro-Fighter :/

emperorpenguin
10-09-2006, 23:20
As I'm sure has already been mentioned... At least this will cut down friendly fire...... Lets just hope the game doesnt use air support rules..... They'd probably give us the Euro-Fighter :/

the Eurofighter Typhoon is indeed included! There's a batrep on the Mongoose forums between Chinese and European forces featuring a Typhoon

Brandir
10-09-2006, 23:24
You know the more I read about this Mongoose game the more uncomfortable I feel. I'm not sure that this is a good advertisement for the wargaming industry.

But more importantly, for me, it reinforces why I like playing fantasy and sci fi games. No link the the real world!

emperorpenguin
10-09-2006, 23:47
You know the more I read about this Mongoose game the more uncomfortable I feel. I'm not sure that this is a good advertisement for the wargaming industry.

But more importantly, for me, it reinforces why I like playing fantasy and sci fi games. No link the the real world!

why what is uncomfortable?

Brandir
10-09-2006, 23:58
Probably best saved for another thread, but briefly I just feel uncomfortable about wargaming in a period that is real. This Mongoose period is only 5 - 10 years in the future and this also, for me, is too close. I much prefer 38,000 years in the future.

emperorpenguin
11-09-2006, 00:13
Probably best saved for another thread, but briefly I just feel uncomfortable about wargaming in a period that is real. This Mongoose period is only 5 - 10 years in the future and this also, for me, is too close. I much prefer 38,000 years in the future.

fair enough your choice, do you play WW2 or such?

I've no ethical issues because it's just a game, I've read articles by people claiming that wargaming is evil, that it celebrates killing.

grickherder
11-09-2006, 00:25
I'm another who likes to avoid recent conflicts. And if the game is set 5-10 years in the future, what about 5 to 10 years from now?

tabletopnews
11-09-2006, 15:56
There's a batrep on the Mongoose forums between Chinese and European forces featuring a Typhoon

Do you have a link to this?

Edit: Found it. Its here (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20942) if anyone is interested

Crazy Harborc
12-09-2006, 02:40
Naw.......make that a GK Red.....gooood Irish beer, bottled by Coors(?) in the USA.

Hey, "the celebrates killing" isn't a new thing. Then theres the "it's devil worship, glorifies killing as if it's a game". Used to hear that at school parent teacher meetings when my daughters were in primary(25 plus years ago). They were dragging wargaming into the D & D craze and warning students and parents. Glad they didn't know about my gaming/hobby shop at the time.

slaughteredbull
13-09-2006, 13:49
Hey anyone that plays Chaos is going to hell for worshipping a false idol.