PDA

View Full Version : I Need YOUR Help! (yes you)

Tooooon
29-08-2006, 22:53
Lock Topic Please (scroll down for old info)

__________________________________________________ ____________________

Righto!

After around 5years of being INTO the hobby, I am right now going to finally start a 40k army, and whichever army you think would suit what im looking for the most, wins!

Oh and btw, it cannot be Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines or Dark Eldar :) (sm varients such as deathwing are allowed)

I am:

- Good at converting
- Not so good at painting
_____

I like:

- Unique armies which not everybody has (hence why no sm ^^)
- Cool fluffs

_____

I dislike:

- Loads of models
- Extreme amounts of complex rules and such (hence the extreme)

_____

What armies I have considered so far:

Necrons

(Pros: Nice models, great fluff, love the whole mechanical peeps thing, easy to paint. Cons: Lack of conversions, almost every necron army is the same units wise)

"Inquisitor" Daemonhunters

(Pros: Love the whole Inquisition thing, good conversion oppertunities. Cons: Could or could not be a lot of painting, similar to SM)

"Rock Concert" or "Zepplin" Speed Freak Orks

(Pros: Awesome conversions, can be very unique and fun. And for zepplins can make battlefortress blimp vech, and rock concert stage like one. Cons: Lots of models in an army and kinda complex rules, plus bit of painting)

"Saim" Eldar

(Pros: I like the idea of pure jetbikes. Cons: Rumours all over the place about new codex, so cant be too sure on any aspect here really. Plus not too keep on their selfishness fluff aspect)

"Fallen Angels" Deathwing

(Pros: Nice and few models, painting not too difficult, love Fallen Angels. Cons: Fluff wise might not be plausable the whole fallen angels together all with termy armour, SM-like)

"Squats" Ravenwing

(Pros: Extremly Unique, using squats which are great converted on bikes and gyrocopter like landspeeders. Cons: Painting, SM-like)

Indeed, my mind is a weird thing, but I really do want to get down to actually starting an army, and enjoy it.

I thank you for all and any help you offer, and cheers for reading! ;)

~Dave

BrainFireBob
29-08-2006, 22:58
For most of your criteria, depending on your definition of "cool" fluff, 'crons, actually.

I really like the DH, but have always seen them as a painter's army.

Otherwise, your best bet- if comfortable, is the converted Ravenwing. Long live da Stunties!

UnRiggable
30-08-2006, 02:50
Grenadier Imperial Guard seem to fit your Requirements. Necrons = no conversions whatsoever. Inquisitors = really wierd army with alot of great conversions if you have alot of models. Try Tau, but not alot of converting opportunities.

ShadowKitana
30-08-2006, 02:59
I have seen some people to great things with Battle Suits.

Spamus Eatus
30-08-2006, 03:06
I might suggest a Godzilla 'Nid army. It has LOADS of conversion potential, and you don't have to be a great painter to get Tyranids to look cool. There certainly aren't too many models to deal with, and not too many people have said army list.

That, or Deathwing. Cause they rock.:D

Cosmic_Girl
30-08-2006, 03:11
Hi,

I'd like to suggest Sisters of Battle themed Witchhunters. They're not a commonly played army, relatively easy to paint, they play well, and offer the possibility of conversion with their characters.

C-girl.

Bregalad
30-08-2006, 08:31
Just have a look at Kroot Mercenary armies. They are tricky to win with, but extremely seldom and a paradise for fluff and conversion freaks! The army list is on the Tau page of GW. There are more infos that I can send you if you like (PM me then your email).

Witchhunters are nice, but need complex painting and are not easily convertable (all metal!).

Eidolon
30-08-2006, 11:51
Let's see now..

Necrons: Seeing as they are mostly plastic, I think they lend themselves to conversions very well. A strong theme would also help make your army unique. Just go and have a look at hive fleet moloch, there's an awesome-looking Necron army in there. Unfortunately, you are right that most Necron armies are very similar game-wise.

Demonhunters: I really like them, but converting all those metal models is tough. Doing them justice painting-wise is difficult as well.

Orks: Sounds very cool, but if you don't like painting loads of models, you are in a world of pain.

Eldar: It would be very unwise to start a saim-hann army now. Just wait for the codex.

Fallen angels: I like this idea. Lots of conversion opportunities, not that hard to paint and put together and uniquely themed. Unfortunately, they'd still be deathwing at heart.

Squats: They get my vote. They seem to have everything you want.

Stickman
30-08-2006, 14:28
I would suggest a tau army. They are not too complicated, their fluff is ok, and the battlesuits makes for the most awesome conversions I have seen. They also play pretty well, and mech lists can rock.

marv335
30-08-2006, 14:33
how about Adeptus Mechanicus using witchhunter rules?
plenty of scope for conversion there.

Wraithbored
30-08-2006, 14:34
I'd suggest an eldar biel-tan army each unit has it's own special rules, it is chalenging to play and will be even more so when the new codex is released. there are a lot of "safe" models you can buy which will not be upgraded with the re-release, painting them is a tad hard, but with the variety of different squads and characters you won't grow bored. Plus they are quite a chalenge to play(like any other army to be honest) and mistakes will punish you severly.

Da Reddaneks
30-08-2006, 14:45
I am:

- Good at converting
- Not so good at painting
This just screams orks! no army has better conversion possibilities with less required painting skill to make your stuff look the right way.

I like:

- Unique armies which not everybody has (hence why no sm ^^)
- Cool fluffs
Uhhh, and how many ork players do you know? probably not many. And no one on here, even wraithbored the eldar, will contest that orks have the best and richest fluff in the entire 40k universe! Spacemarines have a higher volume of fluff but its mostly crap.

I dislike:

- Loads of models
- Extreme amounts of complex rules and such (hence the extreme)

Ok, well lots of models is a draw back to orks. but speedfreaks or evil sunz can be small for ork armies. but i would do evil sunz over speed freaks as speed freaks are just too much like playing the favorite. and ork rules are not overly complex to the extreme. i really dont know of anyones whose rules i think are overly complex but orks certaintly are not. at least not for the next 11 months (count down to codex!)

FEEL THE CALL OF THE WAAAGH!!!!!!!! it whispers to you in the night. you know it does it says ... "dave ... come krump an oomie." Look to your left right now dave. see that oomie? yes, you saw an oomie ... not a "human." join the waaaagh dave join the waaaagh!

Achilles
30-08-2006, 15:30
Necrons are the EASIEST army to paint... 2000 pts Necrons can be painted in a DAY. As for conversions, most is plastic, personalise your lords, and enough variation if you want.

Now a WINNING army which is also original... hard with 'Crons. I use a heavy filled with flayed ones, 2 lords and some pariahs asault-based necron horde. i dont win much, but i have fun ;)

Orks are cool to, especially from a converters perspective. and painting... well if you dont want to win prizes for em, just go for snot green skin, brown pants and a nice colour shirt. Some metal for the bitz and gunz and your good to go.

Goq Gar
30-08-2006, 15:31
... I cannot disagree with the post made by reddaneks. In fact, he said everything I would have said!

Except this: JOIN DA ORKS! WAAAAAAGH!

*heh hem*

Yeah, join us, were green, were mean, were a ***** killing machine!

Dais
30-08-2006, 15:36
get a box of orks and a box of necrons and make some cyborks!

Tooooon
30-08-2006, 23:28
Arrrrrg, keep the suggestions coming and by tomorrow ill have a decision!

Thanks peeps,
~Dave

UnRiggable
31-08-2006, 02:35
dO 13TH COMPANY sPACE wOLVES

EDIT: WOW I cannot believe I wrote that. It's staying that way though :)

Chem-Dog
31-08-2006, 02:54
Orks will certainly be the most forgiving army, conversion wise, a Goff Rok army would be extremely cool.
Necrons, although easy to paint do need lots of basic troops, meaning you'll have LOTS of warriors to prepare.

There are quite a few variants on the Deathwing, a "Fallen" wing wouldn't be any less valid that, say, the OrkWing (or DEFFWING), a force of Mega Armoured Orks using the Deathwing list.

UnRiggable
31-08-2006, 15:02
Plus they have little variety and only one tank (but I despise tanks anyway...)

Gen_eV
01-09-2006, 01:12
There are quite a few variants on the Deathwing, a "Fallen" wing wouldn't be any less valid that, say, the OrkWing (or DEFFWING), a force of Mega Armoured Orks using the Deathwing list.

Deffwing, eh? Now there's a fan-bloody-tastic idea, to be put alongside the Orkzilla list.(mekboy builds Carnifex-like big stompy robots) Into the box of ideas it goes. (box is getting really full, never gonna have the time to make them all)

Yeah, go for Orks. Best army out there, with only one weakness - the lack of Carnifexes. If you loved Carnifexes as much as me, your decision would be made already mind you. Go Orks I say, they're a fun army both to play and play against.

Tooooon
01-09-2006, 09:31
Lock Topic please

UnRiggable
01-09-2006, 17:05