PDA

View Full Version : Mad Man-a-tron's Mechanical Marine Madness

MAD MAN-A-TRON
30-08-2006, 06:10
Welcome reader, to my brand spanking new marine project log. Before we begin, I think a little introduction is in order...wouldn't you agree?

I am a part time soldier and student, but this wasn't always so, I worked in a local hobby shop for over a year, before and after attending tank training at Fort Knox. I also happen to be something of rivet head, which means when not building minis, attending classes, or driving 70 ton armored vehicles, I like to go to the local Goth club and stomp around with my knee high boots.

Now that weíve been introduced, letís begin with a little bit about the army.

Why Marines?
My first army was space marines, and Iíve always been in love with the concept of tall, super human killing machines. I also love their gothic imagery. I received about 300 dollars worth of them as a present from my girlfriend, not to mention the various figures Iíve collected while at the hobby shop. So this leaves me with a lot of models, now all I need is the concept and motivation.

Concept
My favorite army, by far, is my orks, and I collect two flavors, speed freaks and free booters. So, a marine army would be a grand departure from the normal waaaghing around, charging with my choppa, making a mess of things, etc. I originally opted for a Raven Guard army, but I found out all to fast that their style of play wasnít unlike my freaks. With this in mind, I set about making a shooting army.

My next decision was to make it a named, popular chapter (like salamanders or iron hands) or to take an obscure chapter from years of yore (like rouge trader era). I really love looking up old chapters and reading or imagining their history; as long as Iíve had the internet it has been one of my favorite parts of the hobby, the history involved, but I digress. I have yet to find a chapter that tickles my fancy, although I am leaning toward Warmongers because of their pretty blue and green quartered scheme. I hear they adhere strictly to the code astartes though, so I may just use their paint scheme and make the rest up.

Before I made the list, I looked through my bits pile, and thought about what I wanted the list to comprise of. My first idea was a Techmarine. The model is awesome and it seems like a pretty nasty customer as well. So with that in mind, I knew who would be leading my army, now I need to know the rest of the composition. I wanted something that would be deadly in the shooting phase, but still mobile and able to adjust or re-deploy as necessary. Medium to close range firepower was a must in this army, as well as the ability to fight.

That brings us to the listÖ
Significant Divergence
Advantages: Scions of Mars, Cleanse and purify
Drawbacks: Eye to Eye, Death before Dishonor

HQ:
115 Techmarine with full servo-harness, extra wound

Elites:
135 Dreadnought, twin-linked lascannon, missile launcher

Troops:
200 7 Marines Bolters
2 Marines with plasma guns
Veteran Sergeant with plasma pistol

53 Rhino, storm bolter, smoke launchers

175 5 marines Bolters
Marine with plasma cannon, marine with melta gun
Veteran Sergeant with power weapon

145 3 Marines
2 Marines with melta guns
Veteran Sergeant with power fist

93 Razorback twin-linked lascannon, smoke launchers

Fast Attack:
80 Land Speeder Tornado, heavy bolter, assault cannon

This concludes the first part of my mechanical madness, tune in tomorrow for the motivation portion (which will hopefully include wip pictures). Thanks for looking and have a wonderful evening.

MAD MAN-A-TRON
30-08-2006, 18:11
Some pictures of what I've assembled so far and what I have left.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/lofi_thriller/Minatures/HousePics171.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/lofi_thriller/Minatures/HousePics172.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/lofi_thriller/Minatures/HousePics175.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/lofi_thriller/Minatures/HousePics174.jpg

MAD MAN-A-TRON
30-08-2006, 18:12
Here's what's left to build (I dont think the rhino is in the shot though).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/lofi_thriller/Minatures/HousePics173.jpg

Thanks for looking! ;)

UnRiggable
30-08-2006, 19:02
[long pause]
This is why I buy stuff one by one

Alarick
30-08-2006, 20:04
Hola!
I like the convertion of SM with power fist.
Saludos y suerte con tus dados.

HiredSword.
30-08-2006, 20:26
have you thought about a successor chapter of the iron hands perhaps? i trust you've seen the different marine chapters on the GW site.

Why not a pre-heresy army? Or failing that, a pet favourite chapter of mine; the Celestial Lions. They've got some fluff but enough room for imagination;

http://www.armageddon3.com/English/Campaign/Troops/clions.html

MAD MAN-A-TRON
30-08-2006, 20:33
[long pause]
This is why I buy stuff one by one

I just consider myself lucky enough to have a girlfriend who'll buy minis for me.

Hola!
I like the convertion of SM with power fist.
Saludos y suerte con tus dados.

Gracias, I love dynamic posing, and I think it especially fits when it comes to veteran sergeants.

De donde eres?

UnRiggable
30-08-2006, 20:37
I just consider myself lucky enough to have a girlfriend who'll buy minis for me.

Remember that your money's her money, so don't get too excited.

MAD MAN-A-TRON
30-08-2006, 20:48
Remember that your money's her money, so don't get too excited.

Perhaps you misunderstood me, allow me to explain myself. I am lucky because my girlfriend doesn't give me a headache because I am into miniatures gaming (like most of her predecessors). She even participates by painting and collecting miniatures as well, which is awesome. The fact that she bought an army for me as a birthday/valantine gift is also really as well.

To summarize, I am just a lucky guy.

@ Hiresword, one of my first ideas was Brazen Claws, and I may return to that...
Celestial lions seem like a cool chapter, definetly a cool idea, though the whole inquision hates us thing kind of sucks.

tagsta
30-08-2006, 20:58
very nice conversions! Simple but indeed very nice :D
I really like the mk4s and mk6 marines.. Eventually a correct use of the studded shoulderpad

HiredSword.
30-08-2006, 22:40
@ Hiresword, one of my first ideas was Brazen Claws, and I may return to that...
Celestial lions seem like a cool chapter, definetly a cool idea, though the whole inquision hates us thing kind of sucks.

ooo, does this mean you might be expanding with some inquisition? you'll have to post them too. After you finish these of course :D

MAD MAN-A-TRON
30-08-2006, 22:49
"ooo, does this mean you might be expanding with some inquisition? you'll have to post them too. After you finish these of course "

Well, I'm not holding my breath till ordo-xenos come out, but I will have a death watch team in this force, and maybe a daemon hunter to spank my gf's daemonettes.

Boss_Salvage
30-08-2006, 22:53
"...and maybe a daemon hunter to spank my gf's daemonettes."

*mumbles about not needing any daemon hunter to spank his gf's daemonettes*

But nice stuff so far. Looking forward to the techmarine and some paint.

- Salvage

MAD MAN-A-TRON
31-08-2006, 03:06
Time for a little update...

I altered the list abit, to allow the Techmarine more wargear, I also changed the melta in the plama cannon squad to a plasma gun and bulked up the melta squad. What do you think?

Hq:
155 Techmarine with full servo-harness, extra wound, plasma pistol,
Iron halo

Elites:
135 Dreadnought, twin-linked lascannon, missle launcher

Troops:
170 5 Marines Bolters
2 Marines with plasma guns
Veteran Sergeant with plasma pistol
53 Rhino, storm bolter, smoke launchers

175 5 marines Bolters
Marine with plasma cannon, marine with plasma gun
Veteran Sergeant with power weapon

175 5 Marines
2 Marines with melta guns
Veteran Sergeant with power fist
58 Rhino, storm bolter, extra armor, smoke launchers

Fast Attack:
80 Land Speeder Tornado, heavy bolter, assault cannon

and now for pics...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/lofi_thriller/Minatures/HousePics176.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/lofi_thriller/Minatures/HousePics178.jpg

I'm wondering how I should model the iron halo, at first I thought a mechanicus proectiva would do the trick...but then I realized I had no idea what that was (let alone how to model the thing). Perhaps an smulet hanging from some chain, or a adeptus mechanicus symbol around his neck, like a big medallion.

HiredSword.
31-08-2006, 11:00
perhaps model a servo skull with a dangling chain? Put it on an different base as well.

Just another idea for the chapter; how about Crimson Fists? No particular reason other than the older models of marine armour you have reminded me of those in the last stand pictures painted of the chapter. plus the colour scheme is nice AND would be a good enemy to your orks. (but so would celestial lions ;) )

MAD MAN-A-TRON
01-09-2006, 07:19
very nice conversions! Simple but indeed very nice :D
I really like the mk4s and mk6 marines.. Eventually a correct use of the studded shoulderpad

I like the older styles of armor better than mk7 and mk8, but I am not ambitious enough to do a pre-heresy army. Also, I must say your Ultramarines army is quite an inspiritation, such a wonderful looking force. Thanks for the compliments, it means a lot coming from a hobbiest of your caliber.

perhaps model a servo skull with a dangling chain? Put it on an different base as well.

Just another idea for the chapter; how about Crimson Fists? No particular reason other than the older models of marine armour you have reminded me of those in the last stand pictures painted of the chapter. plus the colour scheme is nice AND would be a good enemy to your orks. (but so would celestial lions ;) )

I think a servo skull might do the trick nicely, and as for the Crimson Fist, they were my first space marine army. I still have a soft spot for the power fist weilding ladz.

One of my marines will be painted as a celestial lion in recognition of your determination.

And so this little update isn't text only...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/lofi_thriller/Minatures/HousePics183.jpg

I'm going along painting to my heart's content, when I realized I primed the wrong arm! This guy was suppose to be a melta gunner.
I'll have to prime his arm and finish him tomorrow.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/lofi_thriller/Minatures/HousePics182.jpg

Stay tuned, and thanks for looking!

HiredSword.
01-09-2006, 14:16
aww shucks :p

that's some neat painting there, although maybe some inking would be nice to outline some of the armour joints. Or you could do some thinned down chaos black and paint it into the corners. The when thats dried apply the blue again (but thinned down with some water).

MAD MAN-A-TRON
28-11-2006, 03:20
Well gentlemen, the combination of being a poor college student with no time has pushed me to sell this army, here's a link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320054989414&rd=1&rd=1

Maybe someone with more skill and time will pick this up, maybe finishing it off.

Astador
28-11-2006, 03:27
Sorry to hear your selling it. I'm sure you'll see my bid in there though. :P I'm always adding to my armies.

MAD MAN-A-TRON
28-11-2006, 03:55
Yeah, I'm kind of sad to be letting these guys go, then again I didn't give them as much attention as I do for my orks. Oh, quite good, I look forward to seeing your bid, and good luck sir!