PDA

View Full Version : Carry case. OPinions?

Luke
30-08-2006, 10:05
If this is in the wrong forum I apologise, feel free to delete or move it.

http://www.wargamesworkshop.com/ProductList.aspx?CatID=7&DivID=59&GrpID=487

Wargamesworkshop have just announced this new case which looks rather good if you ask me. I think the case is card but it hold a fair old load of miniatures including some pick and pluck foam for odd shaped models. Does anyone use these? What are your opinions. For 20 quid I cant complain.

RevEv
30-08-2006, 12:05
Looks pants - you could pick up a better selection of foam elsewhere (ie figures in comfort) and, if the case is cardboard, I doubt it would last very long being transported from A to B.... would probably work well as a static storage solution though.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
30-08-2006, 12:54
It wouldn't be much cop if you got caught in the pissing rain.

And considering it's a British Website, I think they are being somewhat optimistic!

The Judge
30-08-2006, 13:36
53 models? Not great.

McMullet
30-08-2006, 14:16
Figures in Comfort sell bigger, better trays for less money than that, and I don't think the box is really worth it (it's just a carboard box with a a handle...).

For less than £20 you could get 4x36 mini trays, or 2x36 and a deep one for 4 tanks.

generulpoleaxe
30-08-2006, 14:28
you can get these on ebay for £15

i'll go to figures in comfort anyday.

Keravin
30-08-2006, 15:00
The only reason I'm interested is that it'll fit Warjacks which frankly a tank sized tray would just be a waste of space for.

Jedi152
30-08-2006, 15:04
Figures in comfort is the way forward for me, but that looks ok for a budget option:- if you're only carrying it from the car to the door then rain shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Eldanar
30-08-2006, 15:42
That is kind of pricey for some foam trays and a card board box.

I typically just buy the foam inserts, and then buy a nice, large tool box that I can stack them in.

Bombot
30-08-2006, 16:23
Figures in Comfort for me too. Nice to have a bag which can pass as though it's carrying something 'normal'!

heretics bane
30-08-2006, 16:40
whats there website??

Aenarion
30-08-2006, 18:52
Ever heard of google?

http://www.figuresincomfort.co.uk/

bladestalker
30-08-2006, 21:08
That is kind of pricey for some foam trays and a card board box.

I typically just buy the foam inserts, and then buy a nice, large tool box that I can stack them in.

Actually foam trays are pretty expensive, especially in the UK. I hear teh card boxes on these are pretty sturdy.

Wonderdog
30-08-2006, 22:20
Sorry to sound like a broken record, but FIC do Warjack depth foam too - check the website - www.figuresincomfort.co.uk

Julian & co do some awesome cases - Naval efficiency I reckon.

#Wonderdog

RevEv
31-08-2006, 08:34
For those of you who have used the figures in comfort tray - which ones would you recommend for GW figures and GW vehicles (including chariots and cavalry?)

Jedi152
31-08-2006, 09:29
No 4, which holds 36 28mm figures for infantry, and no 5, which holds 16 28mm cavalry.

Tanks and chariots, i've no idea i'm afraid.

**EDIT** Looks like tray #7 is designed for tanks and chariots.

generulpoleaxe
31-08-2006, 11:17
you can get in touch with them and tell them what figures you have that require a case for.
they will then give the best advice for the trays you need.
very helpfull guys at figures in comfort.

RevEv
31-08-2006, 19:19
Thanks - I'll sort it and let you know how I get on.

Senbei
31-08-2006, 20:25
Got a couple of the FIC cases from Static in Glasgow a while back... The packs that are a similar size to GW's 3 tray boxes carry 4 trays... and theres a nice front-pocket for codexes/army books. Good cases and the 'normal' trays are dead good... Some of the larger ones Static stock are a lil too flimsy for my liking though (bought one twice as deep as normal that had thinner 'walls' and it kinda started falling apart... might not have been a FIC one though and i didn't pack it tightly... so I might be to blame there) Overall - Beats the GW ones to a pulp, carries more stuff and doesn't have the damned eagle on it >_> )

Madfool2
01-09-2006, 23:28
I've seen them being used, they look good, i think its more for warmachine then warhammer.

grickherder
02-09-2006, 03:33
I'd recommend Charon Production's stuff. I think they have different foam inserts for different sized things. I'm pretty sure you can arrange one to have the inserts you want in the proportions you want.

http://www.charonproductions.com/shop/

If they are still having a glitch with their check out system, email them and they might give you a bit of a discount for the trouble.

tenpole
03-09-2006, 00:58
I thought these cases would be significantly cheaper than GW. But they are not. I have a Games worshop case and I am happy with it.

Some guy (UK)
03-09-2006, 10:27
I thought these cases would be significantly cheaper than GW. But they are not. I have a Games worshop case and I am happy with it.

The only thing that spoils GW cases for me is the big logo's- it might as well say: "Geek here. Please, point and laugh."

As for the carboard cases- in a word: crap. Make your own, buy a couple of foam trays from ebay, and one of those silver tool boxes from a DIY store. Maybe 5 pounds in difference, yet, it will last much longer.

Later, Some Guy

Norminator
05-09-2006, 18:42
The one problem with GW cases is large models, unless you want to cut lots of it out and ruin it.

jfrazell
05-09-2006, 19:07
Cheap pistol cases from a sporting good store. Quite strong and you can drop in irregularly sized minis without any adjustment. The cases themselves are also sold in other stores and locations as generic cases.

Other than that another method is to either use cheap plastic container (or the aforementioned toolbox). You can get cheap flexible foam again at any sporting good store (or many other places)-just cheap mattress foam and cut to fit.

Jedi152
06-09-2006, 07:26
The only thing that spoils GW cases for me is the big logo's- it might as well say: "Geek here. Please, point and laugh."
Exactly. As i've said in a previous thread, i don;t drive, so i have to get the bus to any games nights etc.

Carrying something with a big imperial eagle on it on a Nottingham bus won't be fun.

The boyz
06-09-2006, 11:41

I agree too, that is the one and only thing that has put me off, over the years, from buying a GW carry case.

I am not too sure about the cardboard carry case, useful I suppose for storing stuff at home. But I think I would rather use a proper carry case made from plastic or metal, if I was transporting my army around from place to place.

Luke
06-09-2006, 18:56

LOL, true true. I hate walking through leicester with my case, I always carry it with the logo facing my thigh. Dont get me wrong though, I do like my GW case.

Crazy Harborc
06-09-2006, 19:25
I use reinforced cardboard boxes with detachable lids. The big ones are 17" by 13 & 1/2". I can get 2000 points of Grimgor's boys in one, with ease. 2000 points of Empire, Woodies and or HE/DE fit to. I have a couple of smaller boxes for the over flow.

A carry case that only holds 56 minies isn't big enough for my current campaign army.

bladestalker
06-09-2006, 20:13

maybe not but they are significantly larger!

And I like to cut deals with forum memebrs. :)

3 0f 6
07-09-2006, 08:23
Exactly. As i've said in a previous thread, i don;t drive, so i have to get the bus to any games nights etc.

Carrying something with a big imperial eagle on it on a Nottingham bus won't be fun.

I did this exact thing from Taunton- Nottingham on a train, i was stood outside Nottingham train station for ages waiting for my taxi as well, i don't see any problem, besides you can carry it eagle facing your leg can't you? I mean if i can manage to do so...

tenpole
07-09-2006, 08:29
Why be embarrassed by your hobby. Besides which if others recognize the warhammer 40k eagle then that means they are familiar with the hobby, playing 40k and collecting miniatures.

3 0f 6
07-09-2006, 08:33
Why be embarrassed by your hobby. Besides which if others recognize the warhammer 40k eagle then that means they are familiar with the hobby, playing 40k and collecting miniatures.

exactly...........

I m happy to tell people i play with little men and women.

I also go running around in a forest shooting people, but i can't really walk around with my gun case in Nottingham me thinks...

After to seeing alot of "army stolen" threads where the cases have been i nthe boot of a car, i like the idea of cases that very clearly state they have little plastic and metal models inside

tenpole
07-09-2006, 08:38
exactly...........

I m happy to tell people i play with little men and women.

I also go running around in a forest shooting people, but i can't really walk around with my gun case in Nottingham me thinks...

After to seeing alot of "army stolen" threads where the cases have been i nthe boot of a car, i like the idea of cases that very clearly state they have little plastic and metal models inside

Do you know how much that collection is worth.

3 0f 6
07-09-2006, 08:43
no i don't i have never had the need to pawn someone elses army......

but in case you are hinting out that i dont know the worth of the models i own,
i have 1/3 of the space wolves chapter
i have over 3500pts of necrons
i have over 2000pts of nids (mnight be ecxcessively more)
i have over 200pts of iron warriors
i have like 3500+ of dark eldar (useless i might add without a decent codex)
i have a shed load of imperial guard
i have 1 medium sized gang of every necromunda gang
i have more, i can't see them from here though

and i wasnt in any way taking the **** out of people that had stuff nicked, just thinking that maybe if it was clearly not a laptop bag, then people would break into your car to steal it. though i don't do criminal psychology

back on topic does anyone own one of gws massive army cases, the one with the carry strap and 6 trays in stead of 3?

tenpole
07-09-2006, 18:12
No that is not what I meant. What I am saying is that the miniatures are worth a bit and I would not advertise the contents. Mind you would the thieves realise the value.

Bombot
07-09-2006, 23:45

Walking around with a plastic case with a big goofy-looking eagle on the front of it is a sure way to cramp your style. Hey, if someone asks if I play with toy soldiers then I won’t deny it but displaying it like it’s some kind of, err, fashion statement is just not my bag.

Crazy Harborc
08-09-2006, 00:27
I do not worry about. No carry cases with eagles or "toy soldiers enclosed" signs on my carry boxes.

I doubt the majority of people out there care what's in the box/carry case/etc. Just walk with your head up at a fare pace. Act as if you have places to go and people to see.......then I bark at them, shake my head from side to side and splash foam from my mouth on them:evilgrin:

tenpole
08-09-2006, 08:44
If I considered our hobby something to be ashamed of I would not do it. No hold on, I do lots of things in dark corners I should be ashamed of.

I will admit the only people I have seen carrying warhammer cases are kids but there is no way I belittle the fellow. In fact with enthusiasm I say look he plays warhammer, yehay! Although being a youngster his army is prob 40K.

Bombot
08-09-2006, 10:23
I will admit the only people I have seen carrying warhammer cases are kids...

Quite.

I spend time choosing my trainers, jeans and t-shirts, why then screw it all up by carrying a goofy looking case around, when there are smarter options available?

redeye
08-09-2006, 16:40
Quite.

I spend time choosing my trainers, jeans and t-shirts, why then screw it all up by carrying a goofy looking case around, when there are smarter options available?

I agree..but does GW market research...

I have seen so many folks using the eagle-to-the-thigh trick.its almost funny..

Just out of interest does this GW case have the big logo too or am i wishfull thinking?

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99239999030&orignav=9

Luke
08-09-2006, 16:49
It probably has 2 eagles, the word "Waaaagh" and "beat me up" written on it.

redeye
08-09-2006, 17:12
It probably has 2 eagles, the word "Waaaagh" and "beat me up" written on it.

LOL...the sad thing is some people might well have beat up or humilated by the GW eagle.. either that or there just fashion conscious.

Personally Luke if its cheap get the card box and throw it in an Eastpak..all problems solved. Carrying a case around is pain anyway.

bladestalker
13-09-2006, 15:46
has anyone actually been beaten up because of teh eagle?

Some guy (UK)
13-09-2006, 18:18
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99239999030&orignav=9

A huge one- on scale with the smaller case. I was going to buy it as well until I saw that logo. Shame.

Later, Some Guy

Starscream1138
13-09-2006, 19:51
I don't have a problem with the big eagle on the side of the cases. In fact i'm getting one of the big ones next week, and I think it just helps show that you're carrying models around in the foam inserts and not a dismantled Sniper Rifle.

Nineswords
13-09-2006, 20:09
Luke - those cases look good but im a bit dubious about carrying it around in wet weather, in which case your better off with the Aquila.

- Jay

redeye
13-09-2006, 20:22
A huge one- on scale with the smaller case. I was going to buy it as well until I saw that logo. Shame.

I couldnt do it, Im not a logo person and im definely not a big double headed eagle sort of guy. Buy your own advertising GW!

Oblivion
14-09-2006, 03:26
I've found these cases to be quite good. The carry a ton of models, army books dice, etc. I managed to fit 128 gaunts, 9 tyranid warriors, 3 zoanthropes and 2 carnifex's in one. You can tailor it to your army very well, as they provide all the measurments.

www.Intersponge.com

Bombot
14-09-2006, 08:45
I don't have a problem with the big eagle on the side of the cases. In fact i'm getting one of the big ones next week, and I think it just helps show that you're carrying models around in the foam inserts and not a dismantled Sniper Rifle.

Dude, you’re in the UK. No-one is going to think you’re carrying a round a sniper rifle and any potential thief is too dumb to care what logo is on the side. But to each their own.

Starscream1138
14-09-2006, 09:36
Dude, you’re in the UK. No-one is going to think you’re carrying a round a sniper rifle

I was joking, I leave my sniper rifle at home with my rocket launcher. And they are both always safely locked up in my tank.

bob syko
14-09-2006, 09:43
I was joking, I leave my sniper rifle at home with my rocket launcher. And they are both always safely locked up in my tank.

Totally, I leave mine with the kids.

Seriously though I'm not arsed whether the thing has a imperial eagle or a telly tubby on the side, case that is, I like my rifle to be free of markings. I like the GW cases because I feel my models are safe when they are in there.

Jedi152
14-09-2006, 09:46
Dude, you’re in the UK. No-one is going to think you’re carrying a round a sniper rifle and any potential thief is too dumb to care what logo is on the side. But to each their own.
Pft. We're in the UK; we could walk around the streets with a sniper rifle and no-one would care, most certainly not the police. Hell, you could probably shoot tons of people and the police would claim there's "not enough evidence".

Zing!

Luke
14-09-2006, 10:01
I think we are going slightly off topic here, and maybe into forbidden territory also.

To tell the truth I do actually like GW's cases. Huge dumb logo aside I like the hard plastic case a lot and trust it a fair sight more than I trust these soft bags all these other companies sell.
I do like the look of Figures in comforts skirmish plastic case. If only I had the patience to figure out how to order from them....

Jedi152
14-09-2006, 10:10
It's easy enough to order, it's the P&P that's a bit of a killer.

Luke
14-09-2006, 10:14
My fried brain doesnt realise how to pick the size foam I need, no matter how many times I read the guide.

Jedi152
14-09-2006, 10:20
:D

28mm figs are tray 4 (http://www.ekmpowershop2.com/ekmps/shops/figsincomfort/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=14).
28mm cavalry is tray 5 (http://www.ekmpowershop2.com/ekmps/shops/figsincomfort/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=15).
Chariots and Smaller Tanks are tray 7 (http://www.ekmpowershop2.com/ekmps/shops/figsincomfort/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=17): But this takes up two vertical slots.

bob syko
14-09-2006, 11:15
I'm confused, what's all that QTY to and QTY from, I looked at this site a while ago and couldn't make much sense of anything.

Jedi152
14-09-2006, 11:27
Standard wholesale. If you buy 1, it's 4.50 each - if you buy between 2 and 4 it's 4.50 each. If you buy over 5 it's 4.25 a piece.

Pretty trivial though - when you buy a case you get a case full of foam in the price, you just tell them which ones you need.

EvC
23-09-2006, 16:49
Too complex :p

So where's a good standard UK high-street style shop to get bundles of foam from, to pack out a toolbox manually? I was in one of them poundstretcher-type stores today, and they had packs of foam-brushes, probably enough for about 20 models (All I need really, as most my army is plastic that I'm not concerned about), is buying something like that and ripping the foam from the brush-handles my best bet?

bladestalker
04-10-2006, 20:20
It's easy enough to order, it's the P&P that's a bit of a killer.

P&P? I don't think we use that abbreviation here in Canada. What does it mean?

Some guy (UK)
04-10-2006, 20:35
Postage and packaging :)

Later, Some Guy

bladestalker
04-10-2006, 20:47
Ahh we call it P&H postage adn handling. same strokes differnt folks. :)

Norminator
05-10-2006, 21:22
I think I might get one of the new GW customisable cases, the Tank/troop one looks great.

Luke
06-10-2006, 15:02
SPeaking of carry cases, I have finally found a solution to carrying my armies around. I do not have a driving liscence but do have a bike liscence, however most of my bikes have been sports bikes. My new bike however is a crosser with a luggage bar meaning I can now strap a case to it.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/DSC01346.jpg

Ace! A few bungee cords and i'm set!

Cresistauead
07-10-2006, 21:19
Funny thing, but every case in this thread can have separate foam trays if you know where to look. What really amazed me was that they are all exactly as expensive: £0.11-0.12 per 28mm miniature. I checked charon (the basic slotfoam), interspnge (1,75" M-series incl. P&P), kaiser rushforth (the basic foam tray), figures in comfort (tray# 1 & 4) and games workshop (the red foams from us-store).

So, if you are getting just the foams (um, packaged in a cardboard box for the postal delivery that is) go for the one with the cheapest P&P fees. Kaiser is better in europe and GW is better in the US (well, if you have a GW or elite store nearby to order into, that is).

Here are the urls for those two.
http://www.kaiserrushforth.com/page7.html
http://tinyurl.com/hsjgf

I only compared the ready-slotted foams for 28mm scale.

EDIT: Stoopid me! The intersponge deal has its P&P included, so its goes to my list of recommendations:
http://www.intersponge.com/ (store -> sponge pallets -> 6 1.75" m-series foams)

The_Patriot
07-10-2006, 21:49
I found a great carrying case for my army and it's something one wouldn't think about it using. I found in my attic a wooden box that had bottles of wine in it. The box is 21"x13"x5" perfect for carrying one army that has a sliding lid. I just need to buy a small sheet of lumber to make trays and the foam from an upholstry shop to finish it off. If I wanted to get even fancier I could stain the case after sanding off the logos for the wine.

Nakori
12-10-2006, 12:05
I'm looking at the new custom carry case GW uk has up on their site (Sneak Peek).
Anyone seen/knows the release date on this one?

Darkseer
12-10-2006, 12:21
Figures in Comfort for the win!

bladestalker
12-10-2006, 15:14
Funny thing, but every case in this thread can have separate foam trays if you know where to look. What really amazed me was that they are all exactly as expensive: £0.11-0.12 per 28mm miniature. I checked charon (the basic slotfoam), interspnge (1,75" M-series incl. P&P), kaiser rushforth (the basic foam tray), figures in comfort (tray# 1 & 4) and games workshop (the red foams from us-store).

So, if you are getting just the foams (um, packaged in a cardboard box for the postal delivery that is) go for the one with the cheapest P&P fees. Kaiser is better in europe and GW is better in the US (well, if you have a GW or elite store nearby to order into, that is).

Here are the urls for those two.
http://www.kaiserrushforth.com/page7.html
http://tinyurl.com/hsjgf

I only compared the ready-slotted foams for 28mm scale.

EDIT: Stoopid me! The intersponge deal has its P&P included, so its goes to my list of recommendations:
http://www.intersponge.com/ (store -> sponge pallets -> 6 1.75" m-series foams)

Remember that intersponge trays will only fit intersponge cases. the rest are interchangeable.

please consider charon on this list as well.

bladestalker
12-10-2006, 15:16
SPeaking of carry cases, I have finally found a solution to carrying my armies around. I do not have a driving liscence but do have a bike liscence, however most of my bikes have been sports bikes. My new bike however is a crosser with a luggage bar meaning I can now strap a case to it.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c146/nsrdude/DSC01346.jpg

Ace! A few bungee cords and i'm set!

very nice. I've been playing around with a saddlebag arrangement for bikes and such using two scoutpacks. anyone think this is a good idea?

Venomizer
12-10-2006, 15:46
speaking of those new GW custom cases.................does anyone have an idea of how much they'll cost?

I'm thinking my Night Goblins will be needing a fairly big carry case

bladestalker
12-10-2006, 16:08
speaking of those new GW custom cases.................does anyone have an idea of how much they'll cost?

I'm thinking my Night Goblins will be needing a fairly big carry case

I think they are $150 CAD over here, but I'm not sure.

Minister
12-10-2006, 16:52
I'm still looking to augment the Charon one I got a few years back (it's the same size, but my army's larger and now has several tanks to boot), but the UK distributor I got it from seems to have disolved.

Also, the popups for the pictures go funny in Safari...

bladestalker
12-10-2006, 17:01
That UK distributor was a bust, worked for a while until I discovered he was approaching competitors to undercut my GW contract. Nice. Best part about that whole fiasco was that my 'rival' figs in comfort was the one to put us on to his duplicity. Anyways I have a great relationship with Figs in COmfort and while our cases and foam are similar i have no problem reccommending Jules and his company, especially to UK based gamers.

so what were you looking for Minister?

Minister
12-10-2006, 21:34
Something bigger than the skirmish pack that will hold a few tanks, basicaly. I'm fed up with the tool boxes padded with GW MO foam (it was white once, now it is a venerable yellow, and replacment is not forthcoming since they swapped to bubble wrap).

Luke
12-10-2006, 21:45
very nice. I've been playing around with a saddlebag arrangement for bikes and such using two scoutpacks. anyone think this is a good idea?

Providing your bike will allow for saddlebags I dont se why it wouldnt work. My exhaust is too high unfortunately.

You could try a tank bag if you have a tourer or a larger sports tourer.

*wishes he had a pan-euro*

BTW I tried it out, I did 20 miles with it there and back, town and lane, and the mini's sustained NO damage. of course the suspension on this thing is ace.

bladestalker
12-10-2006, 22:14
Something bigger than the skirmish pack that will hold a few tanks, basicaly. I'm fed up with the tool boxes padded with GW MO foam (it was white once, now it is a venerable yellow, and replacment is not forthcoming since they swapped to bubble wrap).

the Delux Battlepack is 33 inches in length to the Skirmishpack's 23 inches. has 1/3 more carrying capacity.

Steel_Legion
12-10-2006, 23:30
I am still all in favour of www.figuresincomfort.co.uk as there cases i can say are excelent, range of foam is unmatched by anyone else i have seen, prices are good and cases go really big.... like REALLY big...

bladestalker
13-10-2006, 01:47
they are nice cases, different from ours as is their foma but they have an excellent variety of tray styles.