PDA

View Full Version : Heroes and Lords in an Orge Army

Kimi
30-08-2006, 14:30
What do you people have for your lords and heroes in a 2000 point army? Right now I'm putting to getter an Orge army of 2000 points, and I'm now about to buy the characters (I've already got 2 50 sets, so that the rest).

I'm going with a Tyrant, but how many point should I spend on one? Are they worth the better part of 300 points that they cost? What would be a good set up for one.

What hero level guys do you take. I'm thinking of taking a Butcher (with two scrolls) and a Battle Standard (not sure on which banner yet, suggestions welcome)

What about Hunters? Do you find them worth taking?

maze ironheart
30-08-2006, 16:39
I would usually take 2 wizards for despelling power and the casting power aswell.I now the new rules say wizards have to use thier own power dice but this won't affect me at all so take 2 if your playing a 2000 point army to despell a few of your enemys spells.I play as Empire,Dwarfs,Lizardmen and in my 2000 pt Empire army i usually take 2 LV2 wizards and a captin then i some times pick between a elector count or a LV2 wizard lord.Then with in my 2000pt Lizardmen i take 1 LV2 skink priest and 1 scar veteran and a slann then in my 2000pt Dwarf army i take 1 rune smith and 1 Thane and then 1 Dwarf lord.

Beast
30-08-2006, 19:32
Don't bother with a hunter, they are rubbish!!!
Always go the Tyrant/Tenderiser + toys combo and 2 Butchers with scrolls and a bangstick.That's the way to go.

TheWarSmith
30-08-2006, 20:11
I agree, hunters tend to be a point sink.

tyrant+butcher+BSBorButcher tends to be the most common combination.

Ogres are smashy the way they are, so characters aren't always absolutely necessary for killing purposes. Each one has a special role(ld, spell disruption, break tests), so make sure that your characters fall into some speciality role other than "killing machine".

Achaian
30-08-2006, 20:21
Actually i tend to find the hunters really useful....the Sabretusks always come pretty handy...and the bolt thrower gives you additioanl options regarding the limited shooting that Ogres possess...I agree that they are a bit overpriced but imho they are a good addition...As far as 2 Butchers go ,i am still waiting to see how the new edition is going to affect the way that people tend to create magic heavy lists or not...For now i stick to 1 Butcher with 2 scrolls...:evilgrin:

WarSmith7
30-08-2006, 20:32
What do you people have for your lords and heroes in a 2000 point army? Right now I'm putting to getter an Orge army of 2000 points, and I'm now about to buy the characters (I've already got 2 £50 sets, so that the rest).

I'm going with a Tyrant, but how many point should I spend on one? Are they worth the better part of 300 points that they cost? What would be a good set up for one.

What hero level guys do you take. I'm thinking of taking a Butcher (with two scrolls) and a Battle Standard (not sure on which banner yet, suggestions welcome)

What about Hunters? Do you find them worth taking?

The problem with the Ogre kingdoms heros is that all are extremly useful and expensive, so choosing what to take is a very hard decision that can make or break your army.

If, in a 2k game, you take 2 heros you limit your army overall.

But taking only 2 heros usally won't get hte job done either.

I take 3 often, which consist of a Tyrant with HA, GW, Deathcheater big name and the Wyrd necklace. As much as I like the tenderiser I cannot agree on a 50pt item cost, most will avoid your tyrant anyway and will attempt to kill with ranged firepower (my experiance anyway).

I also take a pair of butchers, this gives me enough magic and dispel to at least protect against the big nasty spells like Warpath. I kit one out with a bangstick, which grants me an extra spell that my opponent will have to deal with, free up some of my powerdice for more important spells like toothcracker. I do like to equip my bang stick butcher with a powerstone rather than an additional dispell scroll, for the times I absolutely need to cast a bullgorger on a vital charge. The 2nd Butcher is just a scroll caddie, 2 dispell scrolls to stop all the nasty stuff my dice can't get.

As much as i'd like to add a BsB to my 2k army, I can't, for the 155 bare bones Bsb I can get another 3 naked bulls plus 25 gnoblars which will serve alot better in my army than another big point target for my enemies artillery.

So, In closing, I find it best to take a defensive tyrant to give that all important Ld9 to your army, and a pair of butchers for magic. One of which should be armed with a bangstick.

I hope this helps, good luck and good gaming!

EDIT- Okay, after re-reading your post I realize that you'd like some suggestions on a BsB banner and what not.

Bsb- If you insist on taking one, I suggest that the banner taken with him is the simple warbanner, any unit he accompanies will gain a great boost in the area Ogres suffer greatly from, static combat res, a +2 to that will often help the unit with the brb gain those vital one or points that determine who wins combat. Of all the banner in the OK army, the warbanner is by far the best choice for your Bsb (or your irongut unit, but I personally perfer the runemaw on my ironguts).

Hunter- the hunter is very, very versitile in his uses. His can provide excellent ranged support, He can kill lone wizards, drop monsters with ease or thin the rnaks of enemy units before a charge, all with just his harpoon launcher. His Sabertusks add another key element to the hunter, with a pair of sabertusks a hunter can break ranks on a flank charge. A hunter sabertusks also allow the hunter to give chase or charge units will still being able to remain still and fire his harpoon gun. I like the hunter, he's an excellent hero, but far to costly for me to field in a 2k game.

Anyway, I hope this helps aswell.

Beast
30-08-2006, 20:48
The problem with the hunter is that although he has the harpoon gun you will be lucky to get 1 decent shot off as you want your army in combat quickly and if you kit him out with kitties he becomes a VERY expensive bolt thrower.

WarSmith7
30-08-2006, 20:54
The problem with the hunter is that although he has the harpoon gun you will be lucky to get 1 decent shot off as you want your army in combat quickly and if you kit him out with kitties he becomes a VERY expensive bolt thrower.

with a 16" charge range, which is more than enough after a first turn march move.

Also, sabertusks also give the option for a hunter to deal with 2 things at the same time, he can sick the tusks to the flank of a unit already engauged to add 4 attacks to the mix while remaining stationary to fire his harpoon gun at another unit or monster or whatever. Also, a hunter with a greback pelt and some tusks can be a nasty surprise for an opponent who thinks he can hide units/ flanks next to woods or other difficult terrain.