PDA

View Full Version : Need help starting Dark Angels

Anubis_the_Harlie
30-08-2006, 18:04
Well, here I am again starting another army... Dark Angels, anyone got any hints or advice for a good starting point?

Clang
30-08-2006, 19:59
my biggest advice would be WAIT for the new codex before you make any big expensive or time consuming decisions. That said, you can at least think about whether you're wanting DeathWing, RavenWing or general Dark Angels, and maybe start some general units. But I'd definitely wait for the codex before making detailed decisions like wargear for characters or how many units of x to have, or which vehicles to take, etc

VetSgtNamaan
30-08-2006, 20:29
Yeah waiting till the codex comes out is the best bet right now. Unless you happen to get stuff cheap on ebay. If you are looking to get just a single army your patience will be well rewarded next spring. Since no one knows exactly what changes will be made, waiting is the most cost effective answer.

If you simply can not wait then plan out the army list first before you do anything.

etham
30-08-2006, 20:41
If you simply can not wait then plan out the army list first before you do anything.

I agree. I don't think the chapter structure will change significantly. 1st will still be Deathwind, 2nd Raven wing, etc. You could probably start investing in Terminators, but be aware that there will be nice bitz coming out in the early spring for everything, termies included.

I am building a DA army right now that consists of 5 terminator squads, 4 ravenwing bike squads and a LS, and almost the full 3rd company + support vehicles. The problem is I bought everything before I started building it, so I have a million half built guys waiting for the new release an NO army to play. So don't do it that way.

GRRRR!

Anubis_the_Harlie
31-08-2006, 10:55
Ok I'll wait till spring (not being an SM player I had no idea that the DA list was being re-done) I'll get some marines, paint them and wait; I have a friend who is giving away his old marines so it won't hurt to get a few...

Lord_Bedlem
31-08-2006, 11:32
yeah its not woth starting a new army when the new models are gonna be coming out so soon

dean
31-08-2006, 13:51
On the other hand... When I heard the Cadians were coming out in plastic I was inspired to finish collecting my old metal Cadians (the new plastics fit in well as command squads and heavy weapon squads). When the Land speeder was redone (into the current tennis shoe) I was upset that I hadnt gotten more of the old metal Ravenwing speeders before they went OOP. (Yes, fine, I can still bits order them but I havent gotten around to it) My Buddy the 'Cron player had about 1/2 an army of old school 'Crons and wishes he had gotten more of them before they went to plastic. The new plastic does blend in well, he just wishes he had more of them.

Look at the current line of DA miniatures (especially the metal termies if they arent OOP already) and get what you like now because it may not make the transistion. (and if it does make the transition it will likely be more expensive)

There is just something about playing a perfectly legal "Old School" army in the current climate of "cookie cutter" armies (and will earn you some "Hey! I remember these! Cool!" in a couple years time.)

themagister
02-09-2006, 00:26
yeah, id say wait too. but my old old old.....old angels armie was a splinter chapter. like angels of redemption and such. i called them angels of oblivion. the wore waaayy dark green as their main color, with black shoulder rims. you can use that, but please brother, give credit where credit is due. my army consisted of the symbol was alot like the SS deaths-head.

1 hero
chaplain
apothacary
bearer

deathwing terminators
MUTHAF*CKIN DREADNOUGHT!

2 tac squads
3 compat squads equipped with brandished close combat weapons(it was cool)
1 rhino

2 assault squad

no tanks

Ares
02-09-2006, 01:37
!!!! Dont !!!!

Chem-Dog
02-09-2006, 04:06
I'd suggest buying the Terminators now, at the very least, there is quite a wait between now and the Dark Angels codex release, there's always the chance that the boxes will increase in price (I know, I'm paranoid, but I was about to start a Tank Company when the tank prices lept up :() everything you'll need to make them Deathwing will be included in the DA accessory sprue, same with tanks.