PDA

View Full Version : necron personality

unknownps
31-08-2006, 05:08
do you think GW will ever make the necron lords more.. free thinking

as in have separate personalities? i always thought from the backround that only warriors should be straight drones, immortals slightly less so, but on the whole dronish and have the lords remember the good old days after all there was a short in WD about 1 of the lords that the eldar use to call the "deadly storm" or whatever i cant remember

plus the immortals and lords volunteered for the process first..
you would think they would be able to encourage those after them..

so do you think they may go this way next time and remove the ctan to more of a primarch like status i.e. to big for 40k (except maybe apocalypse?)

Hellebore
31-08-2006, 05:17
I take the view that the 'personality' of a necron is similar to the mind 'copy' they make in "The Sixth Day" - it is a copy of all the experiences up until the point of necronisation.

I think that either the necron mindcopy has degraded over the last 60 million years, or originally the copy was complete.

I'm not sure how you differentiate between the lords and the troopers though, somehow they've retained more personality.

Maybe they used better equipment? The plebs all got No Frills copies, but the lords all got yip yar you beaut 50 extra feature deluxe copies?

Hellebore

BrainFireBob
31-08-2006, 05:47
I had thought the Lords had more of a Pontius Glaw engram, versus a straight copy.

Indrid Khold
31-08-2006, 08:29
According to my knowledge of the fluff, gained from reading codices, White Dwarfs, and Xenology, here is my understanding:

1) Necron Lords are often stated to have an ego independed of a simple warrior drone. They are individuals.

2) There are Necron spies throughout the Imperium masquerading as humans, so immersing themselves in the role that at times they seem to forget what they were. Obviously, these types would have to be individuals.

And finally 3) that the above two types of Necrons are envious of their rank and file brethren. The Necrontyr apparently have a Vulcan-like inclination towards wanting to be serene and emotionless, which the normal Necron warriors have. The warriors still think and use logic, but they do not feel.

Cosmic_Girl
31-08-2006, 12:46
Hi,

I always thought of Necron Lords as generally pleasent individuals. If you look closely at the art, they're all smiling.

Seriously though, I think the Tau codex says something about a particularly nasty necron lord, so I guess they must be different from each other.

C-girl.

Achilles
31-08-2006, 12:57
I must agree with Indrid here.

Although in the Medusa V fluff the Storm lord has 'recollections of emotions' i.e. he doesnt FEEL them but he remembers the feeling

malika
31-08-2006, 13:24
Im very curious how GW is going to make the Necron Lords in the new Dawn of War: Dark Crusade...will they have a personality. The concept of some form of individuality within the Necron race is quite interesting, however it should be kept under control so that they wouldnt rebel against the C'tan.

Griffin
31-08-2006, 13:55
I'm wondering if the necrons in the new Dawn of War will respond when you click on them, since they respond in silence.

Icarus
31-08-2006, 14:00
It would be interesting if the Necron Lords retained some of their individuality, but in a twisted way that means they could never even conceive of disobeying the C'tan (a bit like certain individuals in Robin Hobbs Farseer trilogy, whose minds were "skilled" over to make them unquestioningly loyal despite every fibre of their being wanting to go the other way).

Commander Ozae
31-08-2006, 16:50
I think the lords have to be somewhat independant because they are the commanders of Necron forces and have to be able to adapt to various situations. But they are described as only having a shadow of the minds they once had.

DesertDirge
31-08-2006, 17:08
Necron Lords (aside from the Ctan) are the only one with lets say... "personality". Free thinking Commanders... with little emotion but the objective.

The rest merely follow their comand... but are free thinking in the fact that they could interact with surrondings without being told to "watch out for that rock" or.. "walk up those stairs".

Too me.. Necrons are acompanied by a eire quiet hisssing sound.

jfrazell
31-08-2006, 18:23
Actually I like the concept that there are certain lords who have not lost their personality. It would be a nice variant and sub list to have necron forces actually fighting against the Ctan and what the Ctan did to their race.

Commander Ozae
31-08-2006, 21:40
That would be cool but most likely any Necrons who rebelled against the C'tan were destroyed during the War in Heaven or the C'tan have some sort of shut down mechanism to retain ultimate control of their servants. Nice idea but it doesn't work with the fluff.

Easy E
31-08-2006, 23:05
That would be cool but most likely any Necrons who rebelled against the C'tan were destroyed during the War in Heaven or the C'tan have some sort of shut down mechanism to retain ultimate control of their servants. Nice idea but it doesn't work with the fluff.

What codex or fluff source is this from? I don't recall that piece. That sounds... interesting to know about.

Hellebore
01-09-2006, 01:14
There were alot of necrons following alot of C'tan. Then there were only 4 C'tan...

So, if each C'tan possesses necrons specfically keyed to them, what happened to all the necrons that followed the OTHER C'tan?

I quite like the idea that these necrons have been in stasis for several million years and are accidentally awakened, but their memories are corrupted.

Would the Lords then take it upon themselves to control the hosts?

What would a necron with no C'tan to worship actually strive for? Would a Necron Lord try to carve out his own empire with the troopers he has? Would he go about the destruction of all life as his C'tan master did millions of years ago?

I like the idea of a Lord without a God, would the original personality take over and do as it wished?

Sounds a bit like Farsight without his ethereals :eek: ZOMG!11!1!! Teh Towz ar N3kr0nz :eek:

(I feel really dirty for using leet speak right now...:cries:).

Hellebore

malika
01-09-2006, 01:19
I assume that the C'tan were killing each other quite some time before they went into hibernation. I also assume that once a C'tan has killed the other it would try to take over its victim's servants.

Perhaps the Necrons are loyal to all the C'tan, not just one of them...might lead to amusing situations with contradicting orders and such!

Gae'Mot
01-09-2006, 09:56
There were alot of necrons following alot of C'tan. Then there were only 4 C'tan...

So, if each C'tan possesses necrons specfically keyed to them, what happened to all the necrons that followed the OTHER C'tan?

I quite like the idea that these necrons have been in stasis for several million years and are accidentally awakened, but their memories are corrupted.

Would the Lords then take it upon themselves to control the hosts?

What would a necron with no C'tan to worship actually strive for? Would a Necron Lord try to carve out his own empire with the troopers he has? Would he go about the destruction of all life as his C'tan master did millions of years ago?

I like the idea of a Lord without a God, would the original personality take over and do as it wished?Necrons don't worship, they just obey. They pretty much lost all their free will.
A lord might have some extra freedom, but is still bound to it's original duty. Lords are pretty much the only ones who have the slightest idea of how it was before they got their new metallic bodies, but even that image has faded troughout the ages.

Should all c'tan perish, I think the necrons will still carry out their last tasks. They'll be weakened/confused for sure, but will still go on until all of them are destroyed.

Perhaps the Necrons are loyal to all the C'tan, not just one of them...might lead to amusing situations with contradicting orders and such!Necrons are tools, they'll be loyal to any c'tan: but the one in direct charge at the moment will probably have full control.
If a c'tan could disrupt the other c'tans control: the deceiver would have been more than able to defeat the others in person (with his little army^^). Wich it can't.

Sai-Lauren
01-09-2006, 10:17

I would imagine that their control passed to the C'Tan that defeated their original leader - or they possibly were either destroyed in the battles leading up to their C'Tan's defeat, or phased out of existance forever once they'd been consumed.

Hellebore
01-09-2006, 10:27
Well, I can follow this to some extent, except in the story:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/necrons/eldar%2Dmythology/

It says that "It had such mastery over the material realm that its warriors were practically invincible", referring to the Void Dragon. I take this, and other inferences, mean that each C'tan had its own 'personal' necrons, in the case of the Dragon, he had the best grasp of matter and technology, so that his necron slaves were much more powerful than the other C'tan.

However, my original premise was that the rogue necrons were never absorbed into the armies of another C'tan, so they had no leader. The enslaver plague cut them off from a C'tan. What would the lord do?

Each C'tan has his own necrons, so what happens when those necrons no longer have a C'tan?

Hellebore

Arcane_Blade
01-09-2006, 15:50
An example of a destroyed c'tans forces:

Immortal: Um.... so, what are we supposed to do now?
Lord:*sigh* I dunno..... Maybe...... Chefs?
Immortal: Wouldn't all the rust get in the food?
Lord: Yeah...... Harvest another world?
Immortal: Who'll eat the souls?
Lord: Um....... Billy?
Immortal: Billy?
Lord: Yeah, the warrior over there, he doesn't talk much.
Immortal: Do any of them?
Lord: I dunno, I guess, NO! BILLY GET BACK! GET BACK!
Immortal: Jesus, it's like they don't have minds of there own! He almost walked off that cliff!
Lord: yeah, they're pre..... Who's Jesus?

I scare myself sometimes.

malika
01-09-2006, 15:52
Normally Im not too fond of 40 humour...but that little sketch rocked! They should definately make that one with some Necron figures in the Dawn of War game!

absolut_krieg
02-09-2006, 09:14
I would like to see the c'tan special characters replaced with a pariah lord (perhaps 'built' from a culexus assasain?[question, are pariahs like dreadnoughts, housing the untouchable, or somehow programmed like warriors?]) and a somehow independent necron lord who never went into stasis.

I guess whether lords have freedom or not depends on how you define 'soul'. If I recall correctly the necrontyr lost their 'souls' when they became 'machines'. Without wishing to offend anyone, I believe the concept of a 'soul' has to be considered hypothetical. So, what does a soul consist of? The emotional part of one's brain, the cognitive part (that's the thinking bit, right?), other components or some mix thereof. Depending on what a soul consists of necrons could think for themselves(but have no ability to act for themselves?) or just be 'memories'.

Sorry if this is confusing/isn't right, I haven't had a look at the necron codex for a while to see exactly what happened when the necrontyr became necrons.

malika
03-09-2006, 18:15
In 40k a soul seems to be a person's reflection in the warp. Perhaps the Necrontyr had very dim souls (dimmer than the Tau) or no souls whatsoever. The C'tan ate their life-essence and in 40k there apparently is a difference between the life-essence and the soul.

The pestilent 1
03-09-2006, 20:20
Had this very conversation with myself in the shower the other day.
I found it to be something like this:

Necron Lords: The poloticions and leaders of the Necontyr, pretty much the ones that openly accepted the C'tan and their gifts.

Immortals: The chosen warriors and families of the lords.

Warriors: The chaffe of the necontyr society, also those that had to be... Persueded, into the upgrade.

Flayed ones: The Sociopaths of the Necontyr, the kind of fellows that are normally rejected by society, but suddenly became damn useful.

Wraiths: Mentally damaged, almost animalistic Necontyr.

Destroyers: The "Speed demons" the normal guys coming from the Warriors (Chaffe / Persueded) And the heavies coming from the immortal stock.

damz451
03-09-2006, 20:37
This thread has got me thinking of making a necron army based on "Z", a necron lord made to look like general Zod would be cool