PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen Army for review; brettonian tooled

vorin
31-08-2006, 16:16
A friend of mine plays a knight heavy bret army that has beaten me fairly consistantly. We play on a 4'x6' board with the only terrain being considered rough trees, hedges, and walls. The hills are usually not considered rough terrain.

Just trying to warm this up for a constructive discussion :).

My friend usually rolls about three lances of brett knights of the Realm, two lvl2 damsels, 1 paladin, and 1 brett lord in a 2k game. To finish it off, he always plays a trebuchet, 6 peg knights, and 30 archers in skirmisher formation. It's been tough to beat.

It seems that ogres and o&g do decently against the brettonians. Is the lizardmen one of the armies that slides to the lesser end of the spectrum against a cavalry army type like the brettonians? With the kroxi-if i hit-gores str 5/7+ and the cavalry, (neat I cause fear, but I'm expensive and actually do go stupid at really bad times). Nice str 5+ hits on the charge, though. And the stegga. And the stegga! That thing needs a babysitter all the time. I can't get her away from the slann's leadership because her's sucks so bad. The old girl is too restrained and rather expensive. Sure the terror is cool. But I don't think you guys/gals have met my friend. We will call him "Andy". "Andy" can roll his way out of a buckwheat, (and LD rolls). I think he has failed leadership due to terror all of twice out of 6-8 games I have played with him. She is tough to take down if she holds on the charge.....anyway. :)

I have noticed there has been alot of ranting about brettonians in this forum and others and this post is not what this is about. This post is from a guy who has only played 10-15 times :). The lizardmen army is all that i have in numbers and since I generally play against the bretts a majority of the time, I would like to get some more wins under my belt against it. lol

Well without further adu, here is the list I just constructed. Any comments from experienced lizardmen players would be greatly appreciated. As you will see, the list is pretty magic heavy, as there seems to be few saurus troops that can get above 3-4+ on a brett armor roll and then get past the 6-5+ ward save, (dependant on str 5+, i know).

Lizard army. "The slitherers" 2k

Slaan Mage-Priest (1#, 565 Pts)
1 Slaan Mage-Priest (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 565 Pts
4th Generation; General; Battle Standard Bearer; Large Target
1 Cupped Hands of the Old Ones @ [50] Pts
1 Plaque of Tepok @ [15] Pts
1 Diadem of Power @ [35] Pts
1 Totem of Prophecy @ [75] Pts

Skink Priest (1#, 170 Pts)
1 Skink Priest @ 170 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Blessed Mark of the Old Ones; Aquatic
1 Gleaming Pendant of Chotec @ [35] Pts

Skink Priest (1#, 140 Pts)
1 Skink Priest @ 140 Pts
Scouts; Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Aquatic
1 Cloak of Feathers @ [30] Pts

Saurus Scar-Veteran (1#, 172 Pts)
1 Saurus Scar-Veteran @ 172 Pts
Hand Weapon; Light Armor; Blessed Spawning of Quetzl; Blessed Spawning of Sotek; Scaly Skin
1 The Maiming Shield @ [30] Pts
1 Charm of the Jaguar Warrior @ [20] Pts

Saurus Warriors (20#, 386 Pts)
20 Temple Guard @ 386 Pts
Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Halberd; Scaly Skin
1 Jaguar Standard @ [25] Pts

Krogixor (4#, 232 Pts)
4 Kroxigor @ 232 Pts
Great Weapon; Aquatic; Causes Fear; Scaly Skin

Terradons (6#, 220 Pts)
5 Terradon & Rider @ 220 Pts
Hand Weapon; Javelin; Flyer
1 Terradon & Brave @ [45] Pts
Hand Weapon; Javelin

Skink Skirmishers (10#, 70 Pts)
10 Skink Skirmishers @ 70 Pts
Scouts; Hand Weapon; Blowpipe; Aquatic; Skirmishers

Total Roster Cost: 2025

Basically, the army breaks down to dominating magic with offensive lores that favor armor save negation. The skink priests will have the heavans table for comet, uradon's thunderbolt, (hopefully), etc. With the cloak of feathers on one, i can have fire control in the backfield and front.

As for the other notable thing, I am going with a unit of 6 terradons, one being a brave. For the points, I think terradon's really can't be beat. The hit and run feature is some insurance that they wont get run down since they have nasty leadership. I intend to use them as a tactical squad that can go in get a few kills and get out. With 3 str4 attacks a piece and given the nature of flying skirmishers, I can up to and including all of my terradons in BtB in a side charge on an exposed bret flank, their main weakness in manouvers.

The 2 x 10 skirmishers will be used as charge bait, basically with what I hope will be fleeing/failed bret charges to get them outta position. If they die so be it, they're cheap.

and the others should be pretty evident, (I think). Opinions welcome :).

Dtrik
31-08-2006, 19:04
this should probably go in the army lists section. Looks like a good list that should do well against brets. Get krox to flank and just make sure that your saurus dont get flanked by speedy cav. I think the terradons should do well, especially at taking out those two damsels or the trebuchet. That way he'll have to rely on the knights. One thing I would reccomend would be to upgrade your slann if you can free up the points. I'm not that experienced either but I can tell that you should do well here if you play it right and the dice don't betray you. Surely you can work out some great flank and rear charges with some of those flankers which will be key.

^DrAgOn^
01-09-2006, 00:42
Get a champ in that temple guard unit to take challenges so the slann doesnt have to, they could try to be tricksy and take the virtue that lets them have killing blow on large targets!

vorin
01-09-2006, 04:27
Isn't the slann out of BtB combat? How can a challenge be issued to the slann if he is not in the front rank?

Juhaaha
02-09-2006, 09:29
Take Cupped hand of Old Ones away and take plaque of protection for Slann. and you could change the jaguar standard to Warbanner.

and... what Skink priest does with Pendant of Chotec??

ardude
02-09-2006, 11:48
with lizardmen I eat brettonia for breakfast:evilgrin:
this are the changes I would make

A

Lizard army. "The slitherers" 2k

Slaan Mage-Priest (1#, 565 Pts)
1 Slaan Mage-Priest (Battle Standard Bearer) @ 565 Pts
4th Generation; General; Battle Standard Bearer; Large Target
1 Cupped Hands of the Old Ones @ [50] Pts
1 Plaque of Tepok @ [15] Pts
1 Diadem of Power @ [35] Pts
1 Totem of Prophecy @ [75] Pts

smart using a totum+ a jaguar standart.

Skink Priest (1#, 170 Pts)
1 Skink Priest @ 170 Pts
Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Blessed Mark of the Old Ones; Aquatic
1 Gleaming Pendant of Chotec @ [35] Pts

Skink Priest (1#, 140 Pts)
1 Skink Priest @ 140 Pts
Scouts; Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon; Aquatic
1 Cloak of Feathers @ [30] Pts

when you take a slann you don't want to pay even more unecasery points on heros. drop the gleaming pendant ( do you really want your priest in combat?) and the mark of the old ones.
also get rid of the clouk of featgers M6 is enough.

Saurus Scar-Veteran (1#, 172 Pts)
1 Saurus Scar-Veteran @ 172 Pts
Hand Weapon; Light Armor; Blessed Spawning of Quetzl; Blessed Spawning of Sotek; Scaly Skin
1 The Maiming Shield @ [30] Pts
1 Charm of the Jaguar Warrior @ [20] Pts

again'st bret you want to crack armor.
so give him a great weapon and drop the mainming shield.
maby get a 4+ wardsave against S5+ attacks?
if you wanna keep him in your units then give him a gleaming pendant
place skinks infront and then the overrun will be fougth in your next turn
( won't work in 7th edition :( )

Saurus Warriors (20#, 386 Pts)
20 Temple Guard @ 386 Pts
Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Halberd; Scaly Skin
1 Jaguar Standard @ [25] Pts

good idee vs brets

Krogixor (4#, 232 Pts)
4 Kroxigor @ 232 Pts
Great Weapon; Aquatic; Causes Fear; Scaly Skin

split up in 2x3 with the points you spared on the skink priests

Terradons (6#, 220 Pts)
5 Terradon & Rider @ 220 Pts
Hand Weapon; Javelin; Flyer
1 Terradon & Brave @ [45] Pts
Hand Weapon; Javelin

what do you wan't do do with this unit?????
again'st bret I would drop them all.

get 2 units of skinks and 2 salamanders.

Total Roster Cost: 2025
:).

with 4 units of skinks you can difert some charges, when you mvoe in cahrge range tehre is alwais 1 unit of brets who fail their test.

get the salamanders in a forest and spit on soem knights.
mvoe them so that they can enver charge them, unless you're planning to flee to leed him in a trap.

be carefull with your kroxigors, they are really good again'st brets you don't wanna waste them!

vorin
02-09-2006, 17:29
Thanks for the comments.

I have no idea why I have gleaming pendant on there. I must have accidentally picked that in my army builder program!

As for the terradons:

With six terradons @ 3 attacks a piece + the extra attack from the brave, I thought I would get a high damage unit that has a 20" move. Even though they have no real static CR, the hit and run feature allows them to get into combat, kill a 2-3 knights and then get out.....rinse and repeat. I felt that wearing down the knights before they got into BtB with my core units would be a good idea considering that skinks do not do well at all against the bretts. The only use they have, it seems, is to absorb charges, flee, and to generally get run down.

Anyone else think that the terradons are a waste? I actually played with 6 last game, and they did pretty decently.