PDA

View Full Version : Where to fit the fluff for my DIY chapter...

ryfitz13
31-08-2006, 17:40
I recently completed the first draft of the background for my DIY Chapter - name still pending though. :rolleyes:

Mile-high view of the first draft is as follows: Very recent (just prior to first Tyrannic War) successor chapter to the Ultramarines. Operated almost as an extension of the Ultras while training and building their numbers to the point they could act independently. Then came the Battle For Macragge. About 60-70 of the Chapter were off Macragge at the time of the battle - among those still on planet, only 8 survived. Conduct during the battle led those surviving marines to strongly distrust and despise the UM Librarians and eventually created a rift between the Chapters.

Anyway, I was just reading the Do's and Don't's of DIY chapters over on B&C, and it was strongly urged NOT to place one's DIY chapter in any role in the Battle for Macragge... This guideline certainly makes sense and has plenty to back it up - so I'm left trying to find some other conflict that could have caused similar destruction to my Chapter, and could have potentially driven a wedge between them and their parent-Chapter. Any suggestions?

Harky
31-08-2006, 18:09
Armageddon is a nice planet to decimate a chapter ;) Or there are many other Tyranid incursions that led to near or complete destructions of Marine Chapters, and then there's all the chapters around the Eye of terror. Almost any major conflict can result in confrontations between allies, especially if the older chapter masters automaticaly assume overall command over the younger ones.

ryfitz13
31-08-2006, 18:27
OK - I'll look into a few of those... As I see it, the conflict in question has to meet at least 2 of 3 criteria:

1) It has to be relatively recent, as this is still a very young chapter and shouldn't be filled out to even half of its full strength yet (I'm thinking around 400 marines total)

2) There must be some reason for 3/4+ of the Chapter to be present for the conflict itself.

3) While relatively recent, it can't be TOO recent - I'd like for some years to have passed since the conflict, giving the Chapter time to recover its numbers (possibly even above the pre-conflict levels) and some time for the wedge between the Chapter and the Ultras to fester a little.

While I'd like to use the negative trait that prevents the use of allied psykers and librarians, and work this into my background, I'm not averse to using either Aspire to Glory (and some other positive trait to fit with Cleanse and Purify) or the trait that limits the number of FA/HS/Elite choices you get... If I can center the conflict between the Ultras and my Chapter around the Librarians in a believable way, then the latter would fit. Otherwise, I'll take one of the former and just leave a general animosity between the two Chapters.

Come to think of it, I'm considering making them a fleet-based Chapter. Considering you can't really have spaceflight without Psykers, maybe it'd be better to go with one of the former options...

schoon
01-09-2006, 15:43
Well, from a timeline perspective:

M38 Unknown founding #
M40 Unknown founding #
738M41 26th Space Marine Founding. This was the latest founding as of 998M41.
745M41 Battle of Macragge. (Also: First Tyranic War) Marneus Calgar leads the fleet of Ultramar against Hivefleet Behemoth. Though the Tyranids wiped out the entire Ultramarines first company, they were finally defeated.

Perhaps the ones in M38 or M40 would suit your purposes.

ryfitz13
01-09-2006, 16:18
Hmmm... About how long does it take to flesh out and train a new Space Marine Chapter? The M40 could work, I suppose... If I set these guys up to garrison one of the worlds in Ultima Segmentum that Behemoth ran over duing their approach to Macragge, it could leave plenty of room to explain their being decimated. Maybe even explain the rift between them and the Ultras - since the Ultras pulled back to Macragge, my Chapter felt betrayed because the Ultras never reinforced them...

NashTrickster
01-09-2006, 16:31
Well, There were probably more contacts with Hive Fleet Behemoth than at Maccrage... Take a look at my Doom Bringers fluff on B&C (link in my sig) for example ;)

jfrazell
01-09-2006, 17:18
I recently completed the first draft of the background for my DIY Chapter - name still pending though. :rolleyes:

Mile-high view of the first draft is as follows: Very recent (just prior to first Tyrannic War) successor chapter to the Ultramarines. Operated almost as an extension of the Ultras while training and building their numbers to the point they could act independently. Then came the Battle For Macragge. About 60-70 of the Chapter were off Macragge at the time of the battle - among those still on planet, only 8 survived. Conduct during the battle led those surviving marines to strongly distrust and despise the UM Librarians and eventually created a rift between the Chapters.

Anyway, I was just reading the Do's and Don't's of DIY chapters over on B&C, and it was strongly urged NOT to place one's DIY chapter in any role in the Battle for Macragge... This guideline certainly makes sense and has plenty to back it up - so I'm left trying to find some other conflict that could have caused similar destruction to my Chapter, and could have potentially driven a wedge between them and their parent-Chapter. Any suggestions?

Your fluff sounds just find. Just shift it from Macragge to [insert name here], an otherwise anonymous planet in the Eastern Fringe.