PDA

View Full Version : 3000 Necromancer Army

Icewalker
31-08-2006, 19:57
I haven't coined a list like in this in ages so bear with me please.

Lord: Master Necromancer Yvan Kharnaas=310
- Lvl 4 Wizard
- Spell Familiar
- Cloak of Mist & Shadows
- Wristbands of Black Gold

Heroes: Necromancer=145
- Lvl 2 Wizard
- Obsidian Amulet
Heroes: Necromancer=150
- Lvl 2 Wizard
- Armour of Bone
Heroes: Necromancer=100
-lvl 2 Wizard

Core : 10x10 Skeletons=900
- Spears
Core: 4x20 Ghouls= 340
- Ghast
Core: 5 Bat Swarms= 300

Special: 5 Spirit Hosts=2485

Rare: 2x Banshees=180

Rend and tear as always

ChainsawXIV
31-08-2006, 20:34
In my opinion, one of the best qualities of a 3000 point game is that you have enough points to really work with your elite type units. Now granted, the Necromancer's army list is a bit thin in that department, but it's still something you would do well to keep in mind. Elite units will put more power in contact with any given enemy, will survive longer, and perhaps most importantly will be better able to maneuver on a table that might otherwise be crowded with droves of lesser troops. All this said, let's take a look at the specifics of your list:

First off, your characters. The main thing that you could improve about your character load out is the magic item choices. No amount of defensive items will keep your necromancers alive half as well as good maneuvering to prevent them from being attacked. Since they will specialize in effects that target your own troops, it is often unnecessary to expose them to the enemy at all. With that in mind, I suggest a much heavier emphasis on sorcerous magic items - dispel scrolls, bound spell items, and so forth.

Beyond the equipment, a three thousand point army lets you take two lords and you might as well go ahead and do it. A necromancer army rides, not surprisingly, on its necromancers, and so the more magic you put on the board the better. You don't need to start with (just as an example) a hundred skeletons when your characters can generate an average of something like 50 new ones every turn. If you're going to do the necromancer thing, do it to the max!

Now, looking at your core troops what I would say is that you're a bit over-divided and a bit under optioned. You always want large skeleton units, and it's better to start with blocks of twenty than blocks of ten just in case your enemy pulls out some serious anti-magic and keeps you from expanding your units. For a necromancer army it's also better to take more of the unit options - when you expand a unit the newbies will have the same gear as the group they spawn into, so you get more value per cast when bolstering more heavily upgraded units.

For the rest of your force, I would suggest you trim back on Skeletons and Ghouls in favor of some Grave Guard. Right now your army is almost all anvil, with no hammer. The ghouls are as close as you get, but being living models, skirmishers, and unarmored, they are really better as a harassing force. Grave guard (especially with Halberds) will give you the punch you need to crush enemies you've entangled with your expendable skeleton hoards.

Icewalker
31-08-2006, 21:16
This was originally meant as a Necromancer 2500 point army. That was why I forgot to take a pair of Master Necromancers. I did consider putting them on bigger mounts like a Winged Nightmare, but is it worth it?

ChainsawXIV
31-08-2006, 23:44
I did consider putting them on bigger mounts like a Winged Nightmare, but is it worth it?

Not even a little. ;) Putting a spell caster on a mount is painting a huge target on him. He won't be able to hide in units, and in the case of monster mounts he won't even get cover from some terrain. More over, uber mounts are universally strong in melee combat, which is the last place you want your necromancers, especially your general.

Icewalker
01-09-2006, 22:38
The man is back from Cocytus and had a fun talk with Lucifer about lust and how it totally sux. Anyway, I know have two lists and of the two I don't know which is bettter. I'll start with the one with the Black Coach:

Lords: Master Necromancer Arkham Diis=295
- Cloak of Myst & Shadows
- Level Four Necromancer
- General
Lords: Master Necromancer Kurt Schwarzes=
- Level Four Necromancer
- Nachtmare
- Power Familiar
- Obsidian Amulet
Heroes: Necromancer=158
- Level Two Necromancer
- Nachtmare
- Book of Arkhan
- Dispel Scroll
- Level Two Necromancer
- Nachtmare
- 2x Dispel Scroll
Heroes: Necromancer=148
- Level Two Necromancer
- Nachtmare
- Ring of the Night

Core: 3x20 Skeletons=540
- Spears

Special: 11 Grave Guard: 195
- Joined by General
- Halberds & Shields
- Full Command
Special: 2x12 Grave Guard= 420
- Halbards & Shields
- Full Command

Rare: Black Coach=200

Or should I go for this list with Banshees?

Lords: Master Necromancer Arkham Diis=310
- Level Four Necromancer
- Cloak of Mist & Shadows
- Black Periapt
- General
Lords: Master Necromancer Kurt Schwarzes=312
- Level Four Necromancer
- Nightmare
- Spell Familiar
- Power Familiar
- Ring of the Night
- Level Two Necromancer
- Nightmare
- Book of Arkhan
- Dispel Scroll
Heroes: Necromancer=148
- Level Two Necromancer
- Nightmare
- Staff of Damnation
- Level Two Necromancer
- Nightmare
- Dispel Scroll
- Power Stone

Core: 3x20 Skeletons=540
- Spears
Core: 3 Bat Swarms=180

Special: 14 Grave Guard=240
- Joined by General
- Halberds & Shields
- Full Command
Special: 2x12 Grave Guard=420
- Halberds and Shields
- Full Command
Special: 3 Spirit Hosts= 195

Rare: 2x Banshees=180

Please explain why I should go for one list over the other. Thanks a million guys. Off I go to write more and converse with the bastards in Cocytus.