PDA

View Full Version : Casting for a HH movie

Gotreksbrother
31-08-2006, 23:35
With all the talks about a Horus Heresy movie being a great idea, i got into thinking about the casting based on the books Horus Rising and False Gods, just for the Space marines involved...maybe this is the wrong place to put this thread, but most people discussing the movie are in here...so ill have a go anyway!

LUNA WOLVES

Gavriel Loken: Oded Fehr

Torgaddon: Val Kilmer

Horus Aximand: Steven Brand

Ezekyle Abbadon: The Rock

Horus: Alfred Molina

Maloghurst: Hugo Weaving

Jubal: Vinnie Jones

Nero Vipus: Jason Statham

IMPERIAL FISTS:

Rogal Dorn: Tyler mane

Sigismund: Vincent Regan

EMPERORS CHILDREN:

Fulgrim: Paul Bettany

Eidolon: Ed Harris

Lucius: Benicio del Toro

Saul Tarvitz: Adoni Maropis

BLOOD ANGELS:

Sanguinius: Brad Pitt

WORD BEARERS:

Erebus: Arnold Vosloo

THOUSAND SONS:

Magnus: Tyler Mane

WORLD EATERS:

Angron: Nathan Jones

Most of these actors would need some voice training, but otherwise I think they hit it nails on!
I hope im not forgetting anybody of importance here...ill make a list of none SM characters later on.

Cheers, GB ;)

cailus
01-09-2006, 00:56
Ahnuld Schwarzenegger as the Emperaightor.

Sly Stallone as Sly Marbo who travels back in time to help the Imperials out.

Russell Crowe - as a Guardsmen who gets stepped on by a Titan.

Rosanne Barr - Greater Daemon of Nurgle.

Mikko
01-09-2006, 01:33
No Michael Wincott? I am disappointed with you lot.

SBRTy
01-09-2006, 03:51
while reading the books, i always saw Garviel as being played by Kevin McKidd (Lucius Vorenus from HBO's Rome)

imrhati
01-09-2006, 04:38
Rosie O'Donnell as greater deamon of nurgle

downundercadet07
01-09-2006, 05:29
Del Toro would make an excellent Night Haunter. (SP? The Night Lords Primarch)

Dais
01-09-2006, 07:36
Samuel L. Jackson as Vulcan.

Escaflowne_Z
01-09-2006, 09:47
LOL @ Roseanne and Rosie as Greater Demons. That is sig worthy!

I have no idea who could pull off Sanguinius, but if Brad Pitt were to get the role, the world SHOULD end immediately! (BA player)

Hellebore
01-09-2006, 09:51
LOL @ Roseanne and Rosie as Greater Demons. That is sig worthy!

I have no idea who could pull off Sanguinius, but if Brad Pitt were to get the role, the world SHOULD end immediately! (BA player)

http://www.weht.net/pics/fabio.jpg:evilgrin:

Hellebore

Norminator
01-09-2006, 10:49
I agree with quite a lot of the suggestions, but I think SBRTy is right about casting the dude from Rome as Loken. I also really, really don't think the Brad Pitt would make a good Sanguinus... you don't really want some Hollywood A-Lister as the Winged Primarch.

Reflex
01-09-2006, 10:54
Ahnuld Schwarzenegger as the Emperaightor.

Sly Stallone as Sly Marbo who travels back in time to help the Imperials out.

Russell Crowe - as a Guardsmen who gets stepped on by a Titan.

Rosanne Barr - Greater Daemon of Nurgle.

Rosie O'Donnell as greater deamon of nurgle

ROFLMAO!!! :D

thats hilarious!!!!

have to be specific and say nurgle... that is what makes it funny. that and its true...

if there is going to be a movie, they should try and they should use good actors. and not make it like "go go power rangers" like they have for the cartoon like one they were making that looked like DOW.

the rock... he could be the ultramarines primach (cant spell his name).

The Judge
01-09-2006, 11:12
Love the Alfred Molina idea for Horus, and Armand Vosloo for Erebus - perfect in my mind.

I don;t like people bad-mouthing Brad Pitt, he's shown he can be a very capable actor, in Fight Club, Seven and others.

Norminator
01-09-2006, 11:17
Wait though! Who will Chuck Norris play?

Dspankdo
01-09-2006, 11:22
If they could seriously bulk him up then Adrien brody as the night haunter. Oh and will ferrell as Horus:)

then you could have vince vaughn as Roboute Gulliman, Luke wilson as ahriman and of coarse ben stiller as angron or fulgrim.

Edit: No Will Ferrell as the emperor

aximand
01-09-2006, 14:33
i share my thoughts with Gotreksbrother since i d thought most of the actors suggested too,but Arnold Vosloo as Erebus??woah id never thought of this one!
oh!and please not the rock ,espesialy for abadon,pleeez!
how about mickey rourke as horus?
cheers!

Stahlgeist
01-09-2006, 17:51
Always pictured Lion'el as The Rock. Wish he could act betterer.

Michael Clark Duncan as Vulkan?

Steve Buscemi as Maloghurst!

Of course, I still maintain (halfheartedly) that the same guy should play all the Primarchs & the Emperor, since they're clones, right?

Gotreksbrother
01-09-2006, 17:53
Vosloo just has that malevolent yet very wise looking appearance about him...he just reeks evil, twisted advisor...imagine his shaven skull full of tatoos and him clad in power armour...a truly fearsome and sinister sight!

Molina as Horus is obvious...he has the exact face as described in the books...large, deep set eyes...and he is tall and broad, and is probably the oldest of the actors, making him seem more venerable and fatherly...

Besides most of the actors I chose were because of their well spoken british sounding english (no offense, but american english is not well suited for epic movies)...As for Brad Pitt as Sangui...well...Pitt has had some very sinister parts before and his looks and sheer strenght of character radiate like few other actors...just see his part as Achilles in Troy...a perfect dramatist and warrior supreme...

And The Rock is actually not that bad an actor, he just happened to star in a lot of really bad movies...;) but if you could twink his accent a bit and make him sound deeper in voice and more savage im sure he could do the wild and psychotic Abbadon quite good...but for The Rock and Del Toro I actually have my doubts....so help me out here! ;)

Cheers, GB

Stahlgeist
01-09-2006, 17:53
If they could seriously bulk him up then Adrien brody as the night haunter. Oh and will ferrell as Horus:)

then you could have vince vaughn as Roboute Gulliman, Luke wilson as ahriman and of coarse ben stiller as angron or fulgrim.

Edit: No Will Ferrell as the emperor

I think it's safe to say that all the bodies would have to be CG. I mean, Molina's never been exactly a body builder!

Stahlgeist
01-09-2006, 17:55
Molina as Horus is obvious...he has the exact face as described in the books...large, deep set eyes...and he is tall and broad, and is probably the oldest of the actors, making him seem more venerable and fatherly...

Not exactly awe-inspiringly handsome though, huh?

Gotreksbrother
01-09-2006, 17:59
But handsome isnt always Brad Pitt or Jared Leto handsome...they are boyish faced, lean looking guys...but Molina is handsome in that he seems like an experienced guy that radiates self assurance and has that "real" man look about him...nothing boyish or immature about him, just great strenght of character and wisdom of age

Forces Unknown
01-09-2006, 18:18
I think that Alfred Molina, while a great actor, doesn't look like Horus. He should look like a 'young god' as he is described in the books. That being said, I don't have a better choice myself, its a hard role to fit.

I agree with Norminator that Kevin McKidd should play Garviel Loken. I think thats an inspired choice after seeing him play a similar character in Rome.

Timothy Olyphant would be excellent as Lucius of the Emperor's Children. I agree with Gotreksbrother that Paul Bettany would be an excellent Fulgrim.

Two somewhat similar looking actors are needed for Tybalt Marr and Verulam Moy, I suggest James Frain for Moy and Dominic West for Marr.

Mojaco
01-09-2006, 18:45
Wait though! Who will Chuck Norris play?
The emperor. Should save some money on special effects too; he can just kick the primarchs to their respective worlds.

I thought the Alfred Molina choice was actually quite good. He's got a nice "thick" face, which I mean possitivly. A young dude wouldn't look like a leader.

Elusive71
01-09-2006, 18:59
I think a lot of the choices are spot on, but I seriously thought you slid Molina in as a joke. This is the face of the warmaster? http://img-www.theonering.net/staff/xoanon/TDC/alfred_molina1.jpg
Liam Neeson gets my vote. When the HH books talk about the Luna Wolves who have facial features which set them apart as "sons of Horus", the description made me think of Liam. He can look kind and warm (Horus Rising) and he can look troubled, brooding or fierce (False Gods).

Ed Harris doesn't say Eidolon to me - he looks too good natured. How about Christian Bale? He can pull off arrogant and haughty pretty well.

How about Clive Owen? You cast Tyler Mane as both Dorn and Magnus. I think Mane would make a good Magnus, but I think Clive Owen would be perfect for Dorn. If the Ultramarines were involved, I'd actually prefer him as Guilliman.

I think you could throw Eric Bana in there too somewhere...

kortholaxthedamned
01-09-2006, 19:16
i've always though kevin mckidd would make an excellent Eisenhorn, but thats just me

Norminator
01-09-2006, 19:24
Just going slightly OT, I feel that the William King Space Wolf novels would be better to make a film of than the HH series. Through Ragnar's eyes you get slowly and gently introduced to the 40k Universe, instead of being suddenly submerged in it from the beginning (well, 30k Universe, but you get my point).

Edit: Just another thought, Iacton 'The Half Heard' Qruze could actually be played really well by Bill Nighy, adding a bit of humour as well as a good (IMO) actor.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
01-09-2006, 21:31
Hmmm, and in my mind i already see images of giant battles raging at the walls of the Emperor's palace. Battles, computer-generated like those at Minas Tirith in LOTR....Marine against marine, brother 'gainst brother...and this is what it should sound like in the background of those scenes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHwwuy4rKkk&search=Dimmu%20Borgir (ok, thats a favourite of mine)

Norminator
01-09-2006, 21:34
I agree with you, though I think it would need to be tempered a bit so it didn't sound so cliche (and like *shudder* Chaos Gate).

La'mour Le Breton
02-09-2006, 07:26
i would think that the best 40k movie would be with imp guard vs nids. to cast normal human actors as space marines would be hard, and it would prob look like crap. when i think of a huge battle between nids and guard, it brings to mind starship troopers. Not only would it be awsome, but it would be way more likely. Does anyone remeber the last time games-workshop tried to make a movie? it was going to be all computer graphics and it was gonna suck. I dont think we can expect a movie for a long time (if ever)
But that aside, i do think that the origonal cast from gotreksbro was pretty awsome. Pitt as sanguinus would be sweet, same with the rock as abbadon. quick question, are the ultramarines dark skinned? i always saw them as white anglo saxon types

Havoc
02-09-2006, 15:37
Instead of casting people to do a live action movie I would have it as a full computer movie with people in motion capture suits for most of the acting, I wouldn't have Alfred Molina as Horus, for the primarchs I would cast unknown people, but I agree with Bennicio Del Torro as Lucius I'm getting visions of him playing with megarachnids.

And a good 40k movie would be the Eisenhorn trilogy, if I was making it I would have Clive Owen as Eisenhorn, since he can keep a straight face through most of the picture he would do well as him.

Norminator
02-09-2006, 15:49
I wonder how easy it would be to make a CGI movie to the same sort of technology level as the Final Fantasy film (no relation to the games as far as I'm aware)? I know that cost a lot but that was several years ago, so I presume technology has got cheaper since then.

VERITAS/AEQUITAS
02-09-2006, 16:40
LOL hey , why isn't GW just simply running to the guys who did the INTRO of DawnOfWar?! I mean, honestly, a 2 hour movie, generated with computers in a look like these 2 minutes??!! It would f+++ing rock, wouldn't it?:)

Terminatorphoenix
02-09-2006, 17:23
john frusciante as the emperor

russel crow as constantin valdor

all the dudes who played preatorians in gladiator should be custodians

Joe satriani as horus:D

billie joe armstrong as sanguinus(just so i can see him getting beaten up by joe satriani)

dave grohl as rogal dorn

jerry cantrell as jubal khan of the white scars

eddie van halen as malcador the sigilite

eddie vedder as roboute guillman

chris cornell as magnus the red

james earl jones as ahiraman

CHUCK NORRIS as leman russ

jenna jameson as the leader of the sisters of silence

and so on and so on and so on...

Puddy
02-09-2006, 18:05
Didn't find the patience for reading the entire thread but...

NO CHEESY ACTORS LIKE VAL KILMER AND THE ROCK! NO NO! BAD DOG!
They SUCK.

Unknown and good actors ftw, there are loads out there, who don't require a 10 mil paycheck and don't have a nonchalant attitude because they're "soooo" great.

Escaflowne_Z
02-09-2006, 23:39
Chuck Norris as Leman bloody Russ?! Excellent! He'd just have to grow out his beard! Although I believe this would be better as a CGI movie than a live action film. Just too hard to pull off.

Gensuke626
03-09-2006, 01:07
Nah nah...we Need Samuel Jackson as Sanguinus for the final battle on Horus's ship.

"Is the Emperor a b****? Is the Emperor a b****? They why are you trying to ******* him like one?"

The_Patriot
03-09-2006, 01:10
jenna jameson as the leader of the sisters of silence

I don't think she is all that silent... :angel:

aximand
03-09-2006, 07:36
veritas, the dow intro was great but not film quality,so a 2 hour movie like this would be bad , realy!
i think a big-big-realy big time cgi studio should take it to look good.
j-j as sisters of silence leader?thats what i call hardcore sci-fi!!!
cheers!

La'mour Le Breton
03-09-2006, 08:06
i think that basing a movie off of eisenhorn or any other inquisitor would be a great idea. the movie could use live actors instead of that computer crap, and it could include a whole bunch of different races and characters. Plus alot of cool weapons and technology, and deamonhosts to boot

Lord Dante
03-09-2006, 12:04
I wonder how easy it would be to make a CGI movie to the same sort of technology level as the Final Fantasy film (no relation to the games as far as I'm aware)? I know that cost a lot but that was several years ago, so I presume technology has got cheaper since then.

well I work in the 3D animation industry and even tho computers have got faster - which in turn means render times are lower and thus cost less to run - it still costs the same ammount... because we charge more!

Id average a budget at around 30 million or somthing for a 2 hour movie. thats about the going rate...

Im making a CGI Marneus Calgar at the moment in my spare time away from work, its taking bloody ages!

Stahlgeist
03-09-2006, 19:42
Of course you have to charge more, you are always buying new hardware & developing new software, right?

I'm going to run a pic of the Emperor through the "Celebrity Facial Recognition" software at Myheritage.comm & see who we get. Anyone up for a side bet?:chrome:

Stahlgeist
03-09-2006, 20:14
OK - that went horribly wrong! Scanned in the shot from HH V1, P.19.

I got:

Match 1 - George W. Bush.

Match 2 - Tom Cruise.

Match 3 - Christopher Uckermann (no idea, kid needs to grow a chin though)

Match 4 - John F'n Wayne!

Very suprised the Governator didn't show up in the list.

Stahlgeist
03-09-2006, 20:15
instead of that computer crap

Lord Dante and I will try not to take that personally, BTW :chrome:

La'mour Le Breton
05-09-2006, 07:46
i meant no offence, but i hated how the first movie attempt looked, i would rather see an animated (anime) style movie, that would be better, live action guard movie would be awsome too, some computer effects are necessary, but i just never liked the idea of a whole computer movie

Drogmir
05-09-2006, 16:28
Oh while we're at it why don't we make CHuck Norris Robute Guilliman?

*that was sarcasm for those who can't tell*

and also Anime Warhammer 40K movie? what are you crazy? they made clips of live action space marines and guardsmen in cutscenes for FInal Liberation and they came out great. Last thing we need are overblown eye and shruken mouths. Not to metion the *wink wink* if you get my drift

Stahlgeist
05-09-2006, 19:04
Oh while we're at it why don't we make CHuck Norris Robute Guilliman?

Oh wait you were joking?

Norminator
05-09-2006, 20:28
Brilliant photoshop!

Reabe
05-09-2006, 20:36
and also Anime Warhammer 40K movie? what are you crazy? they made clips of live action space marines and guardsmen in cutscenes for FInal Liberation and they came out great. Last thing we need are overblown eye and shruken mouths. Not to metion the *wink wink* if you get my drift

And then it's certain as what Slanneshi monsters will be. :wtf: :eek:

No, not anime. Anything but a proper movie will make it too child-like, despite all the dieing and stuff that goes on.

Stahlgeist
05-09-2006, 20:39
Brilliant photoshop!

Thanks!

Photoshop = software w/ greatest potential for abuse!

Shaper Shakra
05-09-2006, 20:55
Alfred Molina as Horus? Can't see it. He's way to cuddly. He's like a big chubby teddybear... even in Spiderman 2 I just couldn't see it. And Brad Pitt is actually a really great actor. Mainly because Fight Club is the best movie ever. When he was getting the **** beat out of him by those guys who owned the club? Brilliance. Absolutly amazing on his part. Actually, I wrote this and decided to change it. I think that Brad Pitt could pull of Sanguinus.

Night Haunter=that guy from Angel who plays Angel. He gets the broody dark and handsome thing perfect, and can do the insane psychopathic killer real good too.

thebigevans
14-09-2006, 22:29
i think loken should be played by matt damon he is how i have pictured loken in my minds eye

horus should be someone like John Malkovich who has a great ability to become pure evil when needed

thats about all i can think of at the moment it's late i need sleep lol

n00bLord
14-09-2006, 23:24
HH would be cool, but they would raise the prices of their plastic boxed sets again if they set on this endevour.