PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or are Orc and Gobbo figures a bit meh?

Peachy
01-09-2006, 07:42
Have been wanting to start an orc and gobbo army since the start of 6th edition but have always been put off by what I regard as being goddam awful figures. When all the talk of the new O&G book started I got quite excited, thinking that all sorts of nice new figures would be coming out. Instead, the new figures haven't done much for me either. Given the huge amount of Orc and Goblin players out there, I feel I'm missing something, so I'm curious: are the figures better than I give them credit for or does the fun-ness of the army overcome them?

T10
01-09-2006, 07:48
Is it just me or are Orc and Gobbo figures a bit meh?

Oh, they are definetly youh.

-T10

tenpole
01-09-2006, 08:08
I did think the current figures we are using for 6th edition were a little bit big, making the old metal look a bit small. The new figures look the same, but all with long robes no mini skirt night goblins. The size has gone to the other extreme now they look a bit small. This is only the night goblins I have seen in The Battle for Skull pass box. For that matter I thought the dwarf s were small but not being a dwarf fan I could not be sure.

Harry
01-09-2006, 08:18
'Fun-ness' is a factor.
Orcs and Goblins are also findemental to many gamers concept of what fantasy wargaming is all about.They are the bad guys that existed long before races like Dark elves, skaven, Beastmen, Lizardmen, became an established part of the genre. They are right up there with Dragons and Trolls.
As for the figures...some of Kev adams original stuff is nice...I like his goblin archers especially.
the Marauder contribution of goblin wolf riders have always been a favorite of mine.
I think Brian Nelsons Big uns, Boar boys and shamen remain some of the best figures produced and the current plastic orcs sit well with them.
So I think if you cherry pick from the range you can field a good looking force.
However, I have always been disappointed that the figures have never quite matched up to the art work. The artwork for the orcs from the last army book...the front cover, the inside cover and the orc regiment set are really top draw and the figures never seem to quite capture that same orcyness.
In the end ...for me .... you can't play warhammer and not play orcs and goblins.

ebolatheripe
01-09-2006, 08:32
I don't play Orks but, I was thinking the new Ork leader box was a bit unimpressive. All the heads don't look as distinctive as I think they should, and the body looks kind of average. The only way it would stand out in a unit is because it is in a different pose to the other models.

I like the huge axe head and the new Boar tho.

Jedi152
01-09-2006, 08:44
Most certainly. I like to think that GW are saving themselves for Empire.

MadJackMcJack
01-09-2006, 09:52
To be honest, it's only the heads that don't do it for me. The bodies look great, and it's a simple matter to replace the head with a regular boy head if the size and fit is right, or an ordered Ork nob head if that doesn't work.

The boyz
01-09-2006, 10:21
I am the same Peachy. I love the look of the new Night Goblins, and I thought great, I will start a new O&G army. But having seen most of the new character models for O&G, I quickly changed my mind. The new plastic Orc Warboss just looks awful.

So I am going to wait and see how the Empire turn out, when they get there update, before making plans for a new army. Although I might build a small chaos army in the mean time.

generulpoleaxe
01-09-2006, 10:42
l love the size of the new night goblins, old school. (looks up and reminises)

not keen on single piece and two-three piece plastics tho.

i think getting the evil look back into the greenskin range is a must, they are still cartoony for me.

DeathMasterSnikch
01-09-2006, 10:57
l love the size of the new night goblins, old school. (looks up and reminises)

not keen on single piece and two-three piece plastics tho.

i think getting the evil look back into the greenskin range is a must, they are still cartoony for me.

I agree 100 percent.

The new size of the orcs makes all my old ones look wrong though...shame but the new orcs are far better. Hate the few part plastics. Good sculpts but I like having more parts to mess around with. Cartoony new look of orcs and goblins looks like it's going away (Thank god) with the new more menacing look.

Ironhand
01-09-2006, 12:26
To the contrary I love the plastics - they're much easier to convert, so you can get a variety of poses that make units look more "orky". I like the newer, bigger Orcs as well, they look properly brutal and nasty, IMO. That said, I agree that they can be improved, particularly in regards to the heads.

DeathMasterSnikch
01-09-2006, 13:00
I've got nothing against the plastics or the new bigger orc. Just annoying howmuch they dwarf the older ones. Plastics are good. Just the new snap together style plastics that only have body, arms and heads, I miss the multipart plastics.

TheWarSmith
01-09-2006, 13:56
My converting ability has taken a dive with the new monoposes. With some things it makes sense like unarmoured guys(saurus, beastmen) because it'd be obvious if you didn't line up their torso with their legs.

But the dawn of chaos warriors, new dwarf regiment boxes, bretonnian M@A really have me upset. Having the upper arm built into the torso REALLY restricts poses. I know this is so you can "rank up" better, but to me, building old school chaos warriors so they rank AND look cool was an art.

Also, as deathmaster said, I don't have NEARLY as many sweet bits. Most arm bits can't be put onto other sets because of the way they're made, and the fact that I don't have a seperate torso means I can't have a model twisted to one side or in more dynamic poses.

As to the O&G, the BFSP models look horrid, and who would expect more than that. I mean, you're getting something like 60 night gobbos, and 30 dwarves and rulebook, etc. for $45, $10 more than a box of just 20 gobbos or 16 dwarves.

Okuto
01-09-2006, 14:44
Actually, I'm not really fond of the night gobbos, the main reason is that they don't come as torso/legs anymore......

I just think we need new reg gobbos, savage orcs and boar boyz.....

tenpole
01-09-2006, 17:25
Is the new night goblin sprue still seperate torso legs. I did see a link of it somewhere couple of days ago, maybe it was a different forum but I think it a revision of the current night goblin sprue but they added a hand weapon. So the scale will be wrong with the battle of skull pass goblins.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
01-09-2006, 18:14
They're not the best miniatures out there, certainly not the most detailed but they do have one thing: character. The orcs look brutal, they look like they're having the time of their lives. The goblins look mean and sneaky, but they're also having a good time...and that is what being a greenie is all about. I don't like the new warboss either. I was expecting a huge, hulking, psychotic bad-ass with a gigantic axe (ok they got the axe part). Instead it's a boss orc body with a different pose and the same heads with new helms. Phaw, I saw, PHAW! I'm probably only going to buy the new spider riders. I tend to justify the different sizes and looks (over the editions) in my army as them being greenies from different tribes and zones.

ThousandPlateaus
01-09-2006, 20:13
I love the new Gobbos - there's some lovely new sculpts, I think. The new Orcs, though, are absolutely awful! They look so lame - especially the Shamans... awful. Real shame. Although, hopefully it'll make for some brilliant looking Goblin armies.

zak
01-09-2006, 20:20
I am not alone in saying it is just you. I love the models in the Orc and Goblin range. I think after Dark Elves they have the best range. There are a few poor models, but in the main they are great.

DeathMasterSnikch
01-09-2006, 21:34
I love the new Gobbos - there's some lovely new sculpts, I think. The new Orcs, though, are absolutely awful! They look so lame - especially the Shamans... awful. Real shame. Although, hopefully it'll make for some brilliant looking Goblin armies.

Indeed, goblins look far better (love the one with the mega axe) but orcs seem to be really bad this edition.

I am not alone in saying it is just you. I love the models in the Orc and Goblin range. I think after Dark Elves they have the best range. There are a few poor models, but in the main they are great.

I'm hoping that was sarcasm...

zak
01-09-2006, 21:36
Nope. Just love 'em. Now where are my glasses!:D

Crazy Harborc
02-09-2006, 00:03
I have plenty of Orc minies now/already. I have a fair number of Goblins as well. I've been collecting greenies since 3rd Edition. Metal, plastic, smaller, bigger, monopose and multi-part models abound. All of that helps to make the O&G a better army.......for me, for my enjoyment.

I want a multi-sized greenskin's army. I'll be mixing up the 7th with the 3rd and all the versions in between.:D

ThousandPlateaus
02-09-2006, 14:12
Indeed, goblins look far better (love the one with the mega axe) but orcs seem to be really bad this edition.

Yeah, a great miniature - even the plastic Shaman(?) with the Squig from BfSP is excellent; the character miniatures for the new Gobbo range are really swaying me into building a Goblin army, which is exactly what they should be doing I guess.

Those Orcs, though - jeez. Moo-ky!

Can someone let me know what's going on with this (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/newimage.asp?Size=A&Img=258702) guy's head, though, I can't make it out...

The one on the left...

DeathMasterSnikch
02-09-2006, 14:53
As far as I can tell that big redish thing is his eye and theres a snotling under his hood...either that or the black thing on the snotling is it's hair...female snotlings...eurgh

Edit: or the snotling could have it's own hood.

ThousandPlateaus
02-09-2006, 16:00
Hmm, I can make out the Snotling, but anything else below that doesn't make sense... it looks sort of like that old Chaos attribute where a miniature version of yourself grew out of your head, and your facial features dissappeared...

DeathMasterSnikch
02-09-2006, 16:27
You mean you can't make out the 2 hands and face above his eye?

Scythe
02-09-2006, 17:38
On the main subject: I am not too trilled about the new Orc & Gobbo releases, but to be honest, the new fantasy releases look rather dull recent years. Starting with the mono pose lizardmen, and then followed by beasts, brettonians, new chaos warriors, ogres, dwarfs and now orcs, I was never really trilled, except for the odd model here and there.

Of course, the exception were wood elves. Best fantasy models of gw in the past few years by far.

MadJackMcJack
02-09-2006, 18:21
Mono-pose is good when it comes to ranking up. Wood Elves have the advantage of being almost all skirmishers, so they can throw their arms wherever they want. Trust me, I know. My first Orc boys have some pretty wild poses, arms everywhere and looking all fierce. They're a complete pain in the **** to rank up. Every other boy since has their weapons up in the air. Looks not that great, but protects what's left of my sanity.

Plus the new waywatchers suck compared to the old ones.

Cap'n Umgrotz
02-09-2006, 19:17
I really like the Orcs, even the monopose ones.
I like how they tower over humans, and the look of the weapons.

As for the new characters, I always convert my characters out of the unit plastics to save money, so I don't care what they look like.
I also like the monopose guys, and the one piece guys because they are simple to assemble and rank up.
But I may be alone in this, I'm realising...

Scythe
02-09-2006, 21:01
Mono-pose is good when it comes to ranking up. Wood Elves have the advantage of being almost all skirmishers, so they can throw their arms wherever they want. Trust me, I know. My first Orc boys have some pretty wild poses, arms everywhere and looking all fierce. They're a complete pain in the **** to rank up. Every other boy since has their weapons up in the air. Looks not that great, but protects what's left of my sanity.

Plus the new waywatchers suck compared to the old ones.

I know, I have done enough multi-pose models to know that they require some skill to make them rank up. However, give me those multi-pose models and some extra work over those boring mono pose models any day, they look way better.

ThousandPlateaus
02-09-2006, 22:12
You mean you can't make out the 2 hands and face above his eye?

Yeah, I can see the Snotling - I just can''t make out any of what's going on with the Gobbo's head.

Crazy Harborc
03-09-2006, 01:21
Since GW's minies are usually G/PG rated, I doubt it's anything......um, "really different" going on behind that snotling.

IMHO the minie and the photo is working.......people are talking about it.;)

Peachy
03-09-2006, 01:50
The new gobbo characters certainly poop all over the new orc ones - I quite like the new gobbo shamans.

I still don't know why GW chose to make orcs, especially the plastic infantry, look like apes. The Lord of the Ring orcs look far better and closer to how I imagined them.

Multifarious
03-09-2006, 09:04
Far closer to how you imagined LotR Orcs, or far closer to how you imagined WH Orcs? Because the art for orcs looks pretty close to the models. I really like most of the O&G stuff, aside from the savage Orcs.

DeathMasterSnikch
03-09-2006, 09:08
Yeah, I can see the Snotling - I just can''t make out any of what's going on with the Gobbo's head.

This is the way I see it.

Slann mage Tokes
03-09-2006, 17:19
Do you think the flatish green patch (under the snots head on the right side) is the shaman's ear folded back?
Also I think the thing you labeled 'god knows' is either some shiny piece of crap, or a miniature sickle like his shaman friend.

Either a really cool ninja goblin, or a rushed paint job, ie should have made the snotling a lighter shade of green.

DeathMasterSnikch
03-09-2006, 20:20
The but under the snotling is the side of the goblins head (I hope) with the lower part near the snotlings hand being the top ridge of the goblins ear.

The godknows could be either an eye (Turned dodgey due to hardcore mushroom fest or the snotling poking it) or an eye patch in the first diagram.

In the second I can only presume it's some sort of headware...I'm really starting to think it's either completely normal (as shown in pic 1) or the goblins a chaos follower...

Edit: I'm so buying this model now if only to satisfy my need to know what it is. Either I'll find out what it is and feel silly for not relising it, not know what the hells going on with his head and not know how to paint it or find out what's going on after some hard work and blame GW for producing strange models.

GW get the money either way. This goblins gona outsell the giant.

ThousandPlateaus
03-09-2006, 20:36
I still have no idea what's going on with that miniature! O.o
Thanks for the diagrams, though!

Slann mage Tokes
04-09-2006, 07:26
Edit: I'm so buying this model now if only to satisfy my need to know what it is. Either I'll find out what it is and feel silly for not relising it, not know what the hells going on with his head and not know how to paint it or find out what's going on after some hard work and blame GW for producing strange models.

So true, so true. I am going to be buying most of these new heroes.