PDA

View Full Version : What happens to your old armies?

Mad Doc Grotsnik
01-09-2006, 15:03
Well, fairly straight forward question I suppose, and as such, there is absolutely no need for my inane gibberings whatsoever. But sod it. I fancy a damned good gibber right now!

Okay, I've been playing Games Workshop games now for, ooh, 15 or so years, from Heroquest onwards. Over that time, I have had quite a few armies and forces for the various systems. Hell, I even have an Uruk-Hai force for Lord of the Rings, even though I've never played it beyond running Sunday Beginners!

Currently, I'm on my Dark Elves, my 4th or 5th Warhammer Army, following Empire, High Elves, Tomb Kings and Chaos. (though not in that order).

At least, the 5th Army I've ever got round to painting and having anywhere near finished. And what of the others? Empire, High Elves and (regrettably) Tomb Kings were all sold off via Ebay. Other armies I've owned that ended up sold off include my mahoosive Iron Warriors army, my Saim Hann, and various others.

This leaves me with my Dark Elves, and ancient Chaos army, plus the remanants of abortive armies, including Beastmen, Zombies, this that and more than a smidge of the other. Regiments of Renown lie scattered in my Bitz Box (no, really. Alcantani Fellowship, Golgfags Ogres, Bronzinos Gallopers Guns, the Albion Giants etc..). So what the hell do I do with them?

Well, I'll tell you what my plan is. I have a Warhammer Campaign planned, an ongoing affair you may have read me muttering about before. All these forces and no doubt more (I swear the buggers are breeding in my Bitz Box) will be dug out, formed up, painted up and made battle ready, to serve as NPC Border Patrol forces. Other than the odd bits and pieces to hit the right balance of power, I can do all of this purely from the cast offs of previous experiments.

So, thats what I do with mine, how about you?

Crube
01-09-2006, 15:27
In a word?

eBay

I managed to complete 3000 points of Empire a few years ago, and sold them last year, my Tzeentch army was sold too, after the 1st Carnage event. All my unpainted stuff went too, leaving me with my Wood Elves currently as my only completed army, although with the advent of 7th ed I'll have to have another look at it...

I still have unpainted stuff that's been bought recently, but knowing my preponsity for shiny new things, they'll probably end up being eBayed too...

Cpt. Drill
01-09-2006, 15:32
Yeah Mine either get broken down to raw materials for other armies or go to friends or go on the E-bay!

Luckily it takes a few years befor an army is nullified! (My too-doo shelf is ever growing!)

MadJackMcJack
01-09-2006, 15:46
I eat them.

What?

lord_blackfang
01-09-2006, 15:52
One word: bitz box.

DisruptorX
01-09-2006, 15:53
The well painted minis get saved and boxed up. The poorly/un painted ones join the "bitz box" to be canabalized for new armies.

Tastyfish
01-09-2006, 16:03
Horde them, been playing for 11/12 years now and not sold off any of them. Keep occasionally thinking about it but then think about the huge effort it would take to get rid of them and that I would get very little money in return anyway makes me decide that keeping them for bits is the better option .

On top of that its somewhat unclear who actually owns what seeing both my dad and brother play as well and we've sort of passed the armies back and forth between us several times before finally settling on the armies we have now (at least for warhammer, the IG is still sort of shared between my brother and my dad). The abandoned Brettonians (originally Dad's, then he stopped playing for a few years and then returned to the Undead he originally had, picked up briefly by my brother until 6th ed came out and he returned to his orcs) were used as an army to get my brother's girlfriend into the hobby until they were gradually phased out in favour of the new models. Now they are just used for testing out heraldry patterns.

Probably will keep on hording them, waiting for someone I know to have kids so that when they reach the right age I can become the best uncle ever (only fair, got about 3000 2nd ed points of RTB01 marines and a reasonable orc army including the original Ruglud's armoured orcs the same way some times ago).

Panzer MkIV
01-09-2006, 16:19
I keep anything that I buy. I've thought about selling some stuff but I'm sure I'll regret it later.

TheWarSmith
01-09-2006, 16:25
I scrap select bits off then i go to www.bartertown.com and trade for unassembled/painted plastics. You get more this way usually cause it's retail:retail in trading.

Captain Brown
01-09-2006, 16:29
Some of my armies have gone to eBay. Some I have sold or traded to friends in my gaming group. Most of my armies have been striped at least once and been repainted/based.

Most are carefully stored and waiting for the day that our group shifts back to WFB from 40K.

Once in a while the GW Western Area Manager drags me out to battle his Beastmen with one of my armies.

CB

DeathMasterSnikch
01-09-2006, 16:52
Mine hibernate on a shelf...well except my oldest army, thats constantly expanding to greater masses.

Wraithbored
01-09-2006, 16:54
They pass into myth and legend....namely my shelves.

tenpole
01-09-2006, 17:11
I sold all my rogue trader figures on ebay along with my massive ork 40k army, which included some of the ork genstealer hybrids which sold for alot.

grg3d
01-09-2006, 17:45
Their sold into Slavery to help pay for the “NEW” Shiny Army that will fight better, live longer and maybe they all will get painted before… Their sold into Slavery to help pay for the “NEW” Shiny Army that will fight better, live longer and maybe they all will get painted before… Their sold into Slavery to help pay for the “NEW” Shiny Army that will fight better, live longer and maybe they all will get painted before….

It’s a reoccurring phenomenon with me( figure junkie) it seems to never end, however some do get out of the cycle and get to go on the nice display case in the sky

Dat Wildboy
01-09-2006, 17:59
i don't sell any of mine off. they stay on my shelf to gather dust, to look nice and as introduction armies. a friend wants to start warhammer? i loan him the army for a small fee until they have a 1000 points force.

i can use them to boast how much i own and spend on them- the act like a disposeable income meter! they are there to show how much time and effort i have poured into the hobby to warn me i shouldn't give up or it would all be for nothing.

Forgotmytea
01-09-2006, 18:06
They pass into myth and legend....namely my shelves.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/images/smilies/dito.gif I can't actually bear to get rid of them :p Even my old Tyranids and Empire (who I keep promising myself I will sell) are still boxed under my bed :D

Although some models will be cannibalized, mainly for my undead :evilgrin:

-Forgotmytea

fracas
01-09-2006, 18:18
box them off for hibernation, skipping a generation of rules each

Bingo the Fun Monkey
01-09-2006, 18:22
they get boxed up, ready to get chopped up for conversions. Unless they're OOP minis, in which case they get put in another box to "PAINT THESE WELL!".

dirach.
01-09-2006, 19:16
My first army tthe empire is expanding slowly, I now have the miniatures to play all options from WFB4 until now, including Kislev (Exept for outriders, but they will be bought when they come again in the next army book). My undead and chaos army I'll bring forth once in a while.

Selling them? Never!!!!

But maybe my imperial army for 40k will go. Only used it once.

zak
01-09-2006, 20:09
I am in the process of finally replacing all of my old dark elf models. As the old ones are so badly painted, in a rush to finish them I left them about in the garage and after a while my wife threw a lot of them away! When I told her how much that had all cost me she nearly fainted. I failed to mention how much the replacements cost!

rhodeman77
01-09-2006, 22:10
Mine mostly sit on my shelves as well. though I did sell off my old 5th edition lizzies as it was not worth the effort to strip and repaint them (first army very bad painting!!). I am comtemplating selling off my O&C if the new army book is not that good.
the rest of my armies continue to slowly grow and occasionally get played. Though everybody seems to want to test their new armies against my skaven so the others don't get as much table time as I would like.

Zink
02-09-2006, 00:11
My slowly reproduce in the dank, dark pit that is my basement. Always growing armies. I've sold a bunch of miscellaneous figures but never a whole army and never anything I put much time into painting. Mostly my buying/selling habits are like this:
Got too many figs.
Trim off a few dozen that I don't ned/want /better version available.
Use the money from that + even more to buy more new figs.
But hey I loan my armies to my neices and nephew when they play and soon my own kids will be big enough too.

Sheena Easton
02-09-2006, 02:38
Most of my stuff went into storage and I haven't decided what to do with it yet...

snurl
02-09-2006, 05:45
They just keep getting bigger.
I've played Dwarves exclusively for years.

Gotta catch 'em all!

MordrekDaMean
02-09-2006, 06:46
I either give 'em to my friends... such as my 2nd edition Ork army and my old epic stuff as well as a HUGE undead army before the split ino vamps and kings.... OR I just repaint them every few years. Just finished repainting and adding to my warmaster chaos, and slowly touching up my 40K orks... it never ends.... I'll never be finished painting... ever....
Ah well. So it goes.

syrme
02-09-2006, 07:32
i used to be a hoarder but now in the last couple of years im starting to sell old armies on ebay to fund future purchases.

after 20 years of collecting my attic was bulging with old minis - it was great to sell off all the old junk and amazing to see what some people are willing to pay for old bits of lead;)

anyhow now i just have 2 active WFB armies and a 40k one

The boyz
02-09-2006, 08:20
Most of my older armies/stuff tends to either get thrown out or put in a draw somewhere never to see the light of day again.

Alathir
02-09-2006, 10:33
My old space marines are just sitting back enjoying retirement somewhere in my basement.

Whereas my Wood Elves are beginning to thrive.

devolutionary
02-09-2006, 10:37
My parents happened. NZ$2000 worth of models collected from ages 13->18 lost when the box they were in was accidentally thrown out during a move of house. I was away at Uni at the time.

Undead_Nippler
02-09-2006, 11:00
Sold my very first army (Dwarfs) to a friend but am starting again with a WE army (I love how green fits them)

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
03-09-2006, 07:38
Well I have only one army(starting my second) but it is quite huge now but I keep expanding it and I never sell stuff from it.

Greetz
G

Lordsaradain
03-09-2006, 08:13
I horde all my stuff...

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2145/cimg00085au.jpg

My 40k usually resides on the top 'empty' shelf. All my WIP stuff resides on my workbench.

And this picture was taken some time ago, I can tell you that its much more crowded right now, especially on the chaos shelf.

Crazy Harborc
04-09-2006, 00:14
Over the years........I've sold some GW minies at local, indie run auctions. Over all, I've sold more non-GW minies, than GW minies.

Sadly I am a pack rat. I haven't played since 1(or more) year before 4th Edition 40K came out.........still got the minies. I've sold several hundred minies.and used the money to buy more GW, WHFB goodies.

Tiberius Frost
04-09-2006, 00:22
One word: bitz box.

That's two words.

I keep all my figures. The odd few I've sold or traded off, like the remnants of my 5th edition WHF boxed set, but I'm still collecting High Elves and always have been.

thommo
04-09-2006, 01:45
i quite like keepint them.. i've just finished painting my TombKings and almost done my Woodies. I'd hate to get rid of them, i like the idea of dusting them off every now and then for a game just to keep the interest level up

Modern_Angel
04-09-2006, 04:25
I keep nearly all my old armies. Almost. Every. Last. One. Of. Them.

WHFB - got Tomb Kings, Dark Elves, Common Goblin horde, Lizard men, Chaos, Bretonnians, Wood Elves and really really old beastman army still in a carrying case somewhere(single piece plastic beastmen!)

WH40k - got Space marines(Vanilla), Small Imperial Fist force, small Dark Angels force, Valhallan Army, Steel Legion Army, 3 carrying cases of Orks, World Eaters, Alpha Legion, Grey Knights, Sisters of battle, a New Tyranid army(flogged my old one to a friend, only time I've sold an old army), one case of Necrons, 3500pts of Eldar in 2-3 boxes, used to have Tau, gave those to a friend for nothing.

Also got 2 Bloodbowl teams Ive not used in about 7 yrs, a BFG ork fleet which I've never used, for Epic 40k an Imperial Guard army, Ork army and eldar army, undead for Warmaster...

you would be amazed at how much space all that takes up. I have so many tanks on bookshelves gathering dust, I almost can't get at the books behind the models, drives my girlfriend nuts sometimes.... :)

Crazy Harborc
05-09-2006, 01:08
For me, the largest army in minies and points is Empire. Likely close to 1500 models/minies. I quess, about 300/350 minies are GW's Empire minies.

I am trying to talk myself into doing an inventory. I've got a feeling I actually have 300 to 500 MORE historical/fantasy minies than I think. Here, here my pretties.........climb out of those clear plastic shoeboxes.....line up on that table:D