PDA

View Full Version : Ravening Hordes v.s. Army Books

Xyon
01-09-2006, 17:31
Its been six years sense 6th edition has been released, 7th is around the corner. And nearly all the armies have had their update sense Ravening Hordes was released as a "get you by" army lists for our old armies, as the change from 5th to 6th edition was as such that the 5th edition army books were not formatted in such a way to be compatable.

On to the point of this thread, how many of you are happy with your 6th edition army books as compaired to the "get you by" lists in Ravening hordes? What changes do you like? Which do you not like? And would you rather use the "get me by" list instead of your army book if you had your opponents permission?

Ill start with my two armies, Orcs and Goblins, and High Elves.

Over all O&G I feel got better, wolf riders got cheaper and better, orcs got choppa, and troops stayed pretty much the same. The "Squig bomb" became a nuisance and forest goblins were phased out, however, and snotlings lost their ability to get some rank bonus but became unbreakable. Some good, some bad, some annoying, but over all I think it worked, they could have been done a little better, but they are getting a new 7th edition book soon and the rumors that are floating about make them seem to be even better as a whole. I would rather use the army book over ravening hordes.

High Elves lost alot of special rules going from 5th to Ravening Hordes to 6th, and I feel that was a good change. Cavalry got cheaper (SH, DP) and gained some small bonuses (first among equals, ilthmar barding, dragon armor), and SH were toned down a bit in power. All characters were taken down to T3, were made a bit more expensive in points, and were turned into somewhat unpredictable in that you dont know who will be your general. Another change was immune to panic instead of re-rolling all psychology against DE, which may be more balanced. Chariots lost scythes, shadow warriors lost shields, as did white lions (who got light armor instead of heavy armor, but better lion pelts), and Spearmen and Seaguard lost heavy armor. Phoenix guard gained fear and were moved to rare, but also went up 4 points and gained 1 LD. Overall I am a bit unhappy with the changes from Ravening Hordes to the army book, as infantry became more expensive without an increase in effectivness, while also losing some survivability for an increase in 1 point. Although the list is still functional, competative, and requires tactics to win (as should every list). I like both lists, but given the choice I would take ravening hordes over the army book, but I am happy useing either as High Elves are my fav army, and I would still play them even if they were made worse.

tenpole
01-09-2006, 18:14
I might be a ludite and stick with 6th edition. But then again it would be nice to have spider riders as spider riders instead of me using them as wolf riders.

zak
01-09-2006, 21:35
The High Elves by far suffered the most in the change. The army is possibly the most debated over in the range as either being uncompetitive or having many options, which are never used. Thus the all cavalry army or heavy magic due to expensive infantry.

Yobalt
01-09-2006, 22:19
High Elves got the worst rule ever made, Intrigue at court. The one who thought that rule was a good idea should be shot.

Xyon
01-09-2006, 22:20
Indeed, but I wonder what other people think of the transition that has been made from RH to their new book, how do you like your armies?