PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the GW website polls are ridiculous?

Bronka
01-09-2006, 18:45
Well, their polls are always fairly one-sided but this week's poll really takes it to another level - 4 options, 3 of which all amount to a 'yes' vote, and 1 that amounts to 'I have no business voting in this poll'. There's not even a vague nod towards a 'no' option this week.

So, in the GW spirit I've started this little poll of my own. I think it's totaly reasonable - what do you think? (Please only post opinions that agree with mine.)

Some guy (UK)
01-09-2006, 18:52
Yeah this was discussed a few months ago- the polls are made so that there is no negative comment made about GW/ a GW product. They are the most ridiculous polls I've ever seen by far.

The amount of times I've discovered I don't play 40k, because I'm not going to buy a certain army/model :rolleyes:

Later, Some Guy

Charax
01-09-2006, 18:53
For whoever's interested, this is the poll

As this year's global campaign comes to a close, we ask the most important question - did you enjoy it?

- Definitely! I've never played some many games!
- Immensely! It was a great way to get into the hobby!
- It was great! I wish it had gone on longer.
- I don't play Warhammer 40,000.

It really is stupid, it just shows up GW's "agree with us or your opinion is invalid" attitude

Xisor
01-09-2006, 18:58
I'm not so sure I'd agree all out on that with Charax.

Yes, I'd agree they are 100% ridiculous, *but* I don't think it's ridiculous in context. Given everything, there's a good chance they'd put up a poll that got an astounding "No, that was actually a pile of poop" response(or some form of similar 'not good' response) such that it'd be a *bad* thing for GW.

But, it's a good idea, in a way, that they have any polls. Bad that they are ridiculous though.I don't see a way it could be done otherwise though, without lossing a risk to GW. Sure, they could learn something from a massive 'unpleasant' response, but I think there's better ways to learn that(without advertising the failure to the world).

However, GW don't seem to be going down that learning route, so...:eyebrows:

Xisor

Grimshawl
01-09-2006, 20:12
those polls just advertise GWs unique="Read that as stupid", world view and how they can do no wrong. I'm surprised they dont open a contest to see who amongst their fanbase wants to vie for the chance to come and kiss their backsides every month.

Some guy (UK)
01-09-2006, 20:53
Yes, I'd agree they are 100% ridiculous, *but* I don't think it's ridiculous in context. Given everything, there's a good chance they'd put up a poll that got an astounding "No, that was actually a pile of poop" response(or some form of similar 'not good' response) such that it'd be a *bad* thing for GW.

But to me, that is an extreme- after all would it really do GW much harm to put the option 'I don't play in Campaigns', or a middle opinion like 'I thought campighn 'x' was better' or 'It wasn't bad, but could be improved'.

Later, Some Guy

Mad Doc Grotsnik
01-09-2006, 21:50
Well **** the bed.

Company uses OWN Website to promote itself.

Will the shame never cease?

Dat Wildboy
01-09-2006, 21:50
what, like this poll ;) ? they are a bit one sided! i like voting in the silly polls!
they sometimes annoy me a bit, but i like them anyway.

Archaon
01-09-2006, 22:48
Well.. currently GW can't win amongst the fans.

There are too many GW bashers as opposed to the GW fanboi crowd so it would give an unfair view on the situation.

However GW needs to establish a channel to get real and constructive customer opinions and above all act on it.
Every company that wants to stay in the business has to listen to customer wishes.. ignore this for too long and you are risking everything.

Crazy Harborc
02-09-2006, 00:45
IMHO, GW will not create a legit way to actually convey negative comments to GW and have GW treat the comments as worthy of note by GW.

Eidolon
02-09-2006, 01:25
Well, I've never bumped into any of these polls (where did you find them, by the way?), but this thread made me laugh. Nice one, Bronka.

Bronka
02-09-2006, 01:46
Well **** the bed.

Obviously they should use their website to promote themselves, but polls are not a form of advertising. The purpose of a poll should be to gather information on people's opinions. This week's poll literally only allows one opinion to be expressed, and is therefore rendered totaly pointless.

A poll that basically boils down to GW saying "You must have THIS opinon or none at all!" just makes them seem over-confident and out of touch - which is actually bad PR.

leonmallett
02-09-2006, 10:27
They are ego strokes for GW rather than useful market research as there is never usually a critical stance available.

RevEv
03-09-2006, 00:20
I voted yes - 100%.

There is no way that the polls can be a representative survey of what people think. The answers never allow for - I don't play xy or z, I don't collect x, y or z etc.

Whichever ***** puts it together obviously has been told not to put in anything that would give a negative result.

ExquisiteEvil
03-09-2006, 00:30
those polls just advertise GWs unique="Read that as stupid", world view and how they can do no wrong. I'm surprised they dont open a contest to see who amongst their fanbase wants to vie for the chance to come and kiss their backsides every month.

The GW 'kiss my ass' club,

Funnily enough I have encountered an alarming amount of people who it seems would actually even pay to have the 'privelege' of kissing GW's (or should that be Tom Kirbys..?) ass....

tenpole
03-09-2006, 01:41
I would say as a GW shareholder that Tom Kirby is a c%$k. Here is an oppertunity to get free poll on where they are going wrong and wher they have got got it right.

Delicious Soy
03-09-2006, 06:35
I'd hardly view it as any sort of conspiracy, more of laziness. Its far easier to just get the job done by rigging a poll than actually address the issues people have with GW. For all the good ideas and constructive criticism brought forward by people on forums, there is a lot of "OMFG GW is teh suxxorz!!11!!!" to wade through to get to it. Sometimes the whole gamut can run in one post.

RobC
03-09-2006, 07:59
All that said, these polls serve no objective purpose. As a vox pop they are as good as useless. As a means of brainwashing the consumer base they are woefully naive.

If I were a shareholder I would be asking serious questions as to who is responsible for the polls. It's doubtful, but if these are the creations of a genuine consumer research staffer, I'd be asking for their dismissal faster than you can say 'annual price rise'.

Doomclaw
03-09-2006, 11:17
It's a great poll you made, I voted "I don't vote in polls." it's just the funniest option, I think GW polls aren't stupid or so, they must be a joke, just to see how many people will actually vote on such a poll.

Harky
03-09-2006, 11:26
Well to have a poll just to see if people are stupid enough to vote in it seems like a pretty silly idea to me ;) But like many people here I agree that GW does not run polls at all, just some ego boosting questionnares so that they can sleep at night thinking how incredibly cool their s**t is. It's amazing how a company that makes such great stuff is so corrupted in it's core.

Cap'n Umgrotz
03-09-2006, 12:48
Just Plain Wierd.
I always find GW's usage of words like "awesome" and "amazing" and "great" and such to be ... oddly off putting. Kinda like some guy coming up to you and screaming "YOUBUY!YOUBUY!YOULIKEBRIEFCASE!YOUBUY!"

Tymell
05-09-2006, 14:10
Well **** the bed.

There's no problem with a company using it's own site to promote itself, but the whole point of a forum is to get the opinions of people OUTSIDE the website, rather than just another place to re-state the opinions found elsewhere on the site.

UltimateNagash
05-09-2006, 18:27
THEY HAVE POLLS!?!:wtf:!
Sorry, but where did you find these? I've never seen these before. But that one is a bit stupid, three that are exactly the same answers. Here's a better one (that still supports GW):

It was great, it should of gone on longer
It was good, with the right length of time
I enjoyed it, but thought it went on a bit
It was OK.
I didn't have time to do much with it
I don't play 40K

There, that's better.

Some guy (UK)
05-09-2006, 20:52
THEY HAVE POLLS!?!:wtf:!
Sorry, but where did you find these? I've never seen these before. But that one is a bit stupid, three that are exactly the same answers. Here's a better one (that still supports GW):

You have to have a forum account to view them.

Later, Some Guy

UltimateNagash
17-09-2006, 15:06
I do, and I still can't find them...

Some guy (UK)
17-09-2006, 15:44
Bottom of the News page, UK site, left of the 'News Archives' part.

Later, Some Guy