PDA

View Full Version : BFSP: $45?! Why not?

Dtrik
01-09-2006, 22:58
Briefly skimming through some of the items on the online store I drooling over the thought of getting my hands on the 7th edition rulebook and knew that I'd have to cough up 50 bucks to get my hands on it though. I was never interested in BFSP because I don't collect (or plan on collecting) gobbos or dwarves but when I clicked on it out of curiosity I was shocked to find out that it was 45 bucks!!! I had no idea it was that cheap, I was expecting at least as much as the rulebook if not more! Now I saw that there was an abbreviated rulebook, its 144 pages but it says that it covers all of the aspects of warhammer. So, my real question is, why would you ever buy the lone rulebook? For five dollars cheaper you can cut out (what I suspect to be) just the hobby sections and stuff, and get a pile of cool minis. In all honesty I'd never read any of those hobby sections but I was just wondering if the abbreviated rulebook covered all of the rules. I wouldnt want to buy BFSP and get shafted when it comes to the rulebook(which is really all I want, but I could always use more dice that I always lose and I obviously lost all my templates and junk long ago).

So if the abbrevaited rulebook does in fact cover all of the rules, shouldnt I just go out and save 5 bucks plus get loads of cool minis that I may or may not get around to painting?

pox
01-09-2006, 23:04
It should also have a section with other missions and different ways to play, if its anything like the 40k book. also its a perfect copy of the big book, but shrunk down, so the print can be a bit difficult to read cover to cover. perfect for shop/tourny copy tho, and if your gonna play funky scenarios, you can always make em' up, or get the generals compendium. I just like having the big book for comfy reading.

tenpole
01-09-2006, 23:13
Why is a British company selling the same game in America for such a reduced amount or have the exchange rates altered so much and I have not noticed that £1 now buys $1.125.

Olith
01-09-2006, 23:16
Why is a British company selling the same game in America for such a reduced amount or have the exchange rates altered so much and I have not noticed that £1 now buys $1.125.

Because they can sell it at that price and make a profit and hopefully bring new people into the "GW hobby" with value of the set. They can also sell it at £40 in the UK and do the same things.

Dtrik
01-09-2006, 23:33
I just wish they had good values like this on all their other stuff

*looks at other prices in the online store*

well we can dream, for now we'll be shelling out more loot!

Now Im thinking I might not get BFSP, I may save 5 bucks and only lose a little bit of the rulebook but I have a very hard time motivating myself to finish my current army nevermind a bunch of other minis. Not sure though, it is a great deal that I might just have to go for.

tenpole
02-09-2006, 01:22
I know it is tempting even for UK£40. Hopefully it will be a great success in introducing new gamers.

TheWarSmith
02-09-2006, 01:32
You're telilng me that BFSP is 40 pounds!%$!%@???

That's about $75 USD when our box costs $45. How'd you guys get so screwed? It'd be cheaper to buy US sets and have them shipped.

But yeah, for $45 getting rules, all those models, scenarios, it's really a great deal. I'll probably try to give away my dwarves or gobbos to trade for the other half and have a 1k force to dink around with.

Quoted by Tenpole: Why is a British company selling the same game in America for such a reduced amount or have the exchange rates altered so much and I have not noticed that £1 now buys $1.125."

Actually, it's $1.90 for a British pound, which is HORRIBLE. The American dollar is **** in a barrel recently.

lord_blackfang
02-09-2006, 09:02
In Slovenia it'll retail for about UK£35 / US$60. Still the most awesomest deal GW has ever released. 6 regiments' worth of troops, 4 characters, a warmachine and a troll, how much would that cost seperately? Not even counting the book and all the extra gubbinz. And I get an extra 10% off. I'm sorely tempted to buy 3.

GodHead
02-09-2006, 09:18
Battle for Skull Pass in Canada is $75 CAD, which is ~68 USD. So that would be a 23 dollar shipping cost?

Hint to US gamers getting them at ridiculously low prices: EBAY.

tenpole
02-09-2006, 09:30

That's about $75 USD when our box costs $45. How'd you guys get so screwed? It'd be cheaper to buy US sets and have them shipped.

Quoted by Tenpole: Why is a British company selling the same game in America for such a reduced amount or have the exchange rates altered so much and I have not noticed that £1 now buys $1.125."

Actually, it's $1.90 for a British pound, which is HORRIBLE. The American dollar is **** in a barrel recently.

Exactly I was being sarcastic by saying the exchange rate was 1:1.125. I used it as another example to show how GW screws us.

tenpole
02-09-2006, 09:31
As it goes how much would it cost to ship from the states? Anyone got any ideas?

lord_blackfang
02-09-2006, 09:52
As it goes how much would it cost to ship from the states? Anyone got any ideas?

Considering you'd also have to pay import tax (oh the irony) I think you'd still be better off with one of the UK-based online retailers that offer a 20-25% discount.

Milgram
02-09-2006, 10:37
it's a matter of the potential on the market. there are less table top gamers per 1'000 people in the US than in the UK. the same applies to continental europe where we pay around 30 quids for direct orders of bfsp, still more than the americans but less than the UK.

the BFSP is 'well priced' in the UK while it's underpriced in continental europe and the US. so in the US they want to sell more of these boxes to attract people with starting the hobby, in europe the same while they have a larger base here. there is NO need to sell BFSP in the UK. they won't get that many additional customers in the UK while doing so. most BFSP in whole europe will be sold to existing customers.

and even though the models are inferior to the 'solid boxed' ones, BFSP is still cheaper than three boxes of nightgoblins.

/edit: btw, with very few exceptions blisters and boxes are cheaper in the UK than in germany (and we swiss get the highest prices anyway...)

ZomboCom
02-09-2006, 10:40
The pricing of BfSP (and Battle for McccGraggeggege) is based on being equivilent to the cost of a modern computer game in the country it's sold in.

spikedog
02-09-2006, 10:53
@tenpole - Exactly what I thought. I feel like writing a letter to GW saying that I, a UK citizen am planning to buy my copy in the US due to the fact it is cheaper, including shipping! Outrageous

@Milgram - Unfortunately what you say may be the case in the US but it is not a worldwide GW tactic. Here in Japan they have only 2 stores and very few players. (I probably know 50% of them personally) but yet their prices are higher than in the UK.

EDIT: ZomboCom - I never noticed that but it seems you are almost correct, it is still over priced here in Japan where a game costs about £35GBP but BFM is about £50GBP but it certainly works for the US and UK.

TheWarSmith
02-09-2006, 15:35
spikedog, please don't do that. All they'll do is hike up the US price. You KNOW they won't drop down all the other prices.

My guess is this is some HUGE stupid mistake GW somehow bypassed and people didn't communicate with each other. Don't point it out to them.

Ok, to address peoples' shipping needs, here is the following.

5lb. shipped to Britian with USPS:
4 - 10 Days $33.75
4 - 6 Weeks $24.25

3lb.
4 - 7 Days $19.10

5lb. Shipped to Canada with USPS
4 - 10 Days $17.65

3lb.
4 - 7 Days $9.45

As you guys can see, knowing the exact weight is VERY IMPORTANT.

As much as I'd like to buy a whole bunch of boxes and ship to you, I wouldn't make much money. I would go to www.thewarstore.com, but i dont' know how much customs costs.

Somebody please get an exact weight on BFSP and I'll do what I can. Send mail to phillipdkuhn@gmail.com

Tastyfish
02-09-2006, 15:36
What might be really interesting is the US stores that sell it at 25/30% off, or seeing as Skull Pass is being sold at a loss anyway there isn't any further reductions to it?
I've not got any US stores bookmarked so don't really know where to look.

TheWarSmith
02-09-2006, 16:40
www.thewarstore.com is one of the best, but be aware that if you get it from a store, it will more likely have custom/duty charges/taxes as well as being held up longer by customs.

Binabik15
02-09-2006, 16:42
Didn“t they state that the US price was that low because the have to compete with video games for the kids money?
So they price it the same as a new computer/PS2/Xbox/Cube game.

Of course in Japan and Europe (by the way, Great Britain is part of Europe, get over it :p) nobody plays video games and everyone has way more money to spend on GW products...

At least tax is already included in our price tag...:sigh:

TheWarSmith
02-09-2006, 17:02
yeah, that's a good point. For the most part, UK and US GW prices are the same, except americans have to pay 6-8% on top of that.

lord_blackfang
02-09-2006, 17:11
My guess is this is some HUGE stupid mistake GW somehow bypassed and people didn't communicate with each other. Don't point it out to them.

:wtf: This discepancy in starter set prices has existed for years. It's no mistake. Doesn't anyone in this thread play 40k or LOTR?

TheWarSmith
02-09-2006, 17:14
i don't play lotr, but i used to be 40k. how much was battle for my craggy?

NakedFisherman
02-09-2006, 17:19
The pricing of BfSP (and Battle for McccGraggeggege) is based on being equivilent to the cost of a modern computer game in the country it's sold in.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

eldrak
02-09-2006, 17:58

Not here, you can get BFSP (or the hardcover) for half the price of a new xbox 360 game if you preorder it from a certain webstore before the release date. Free freight within sweden too.
To compare thats less than half of what the old 4-5-6th boxed sets did cost (even without adding inflation to the prices). 22£ is what I'll pay for mine

AllSeeingSkink
03-09-2006, 17:08
Here in Australia BfSP is $85, which is pretty darn good considering a box of night goblins is $50 (battle of macragge and mines of moria are $85 too, but they dont have as many models).

That said, I wont be buying it. I have no need for dwarfs, and if I did get more night goblins (IF), I'd want them with hand weapons, not spears or bows. Realistically, if I got 60 goblins... they'd never get painted.

Cheap models are only worth while if you want them!

The price of plastic box sets (on average) is cheaper in australia than the UK, but blisters are cheaper from the UK. So if you want a big unit of temple guard, eternal guard or black orcs, order them from the UK like me! ;)

I bought the mines of moria and afterwards got the big rulebook anyway, because the pocket book didn't contain info on victory conditions and scenarios... and it was also going for half price. ;)

Falkman
03-09-2006, 18:00
Here in Sweden BfSP costs the equal to £28, suck on that ;)
We also have an independent online store that sells it for only £21.

Xinithorp
03-09-2006, 18:17
i don't play lotr, but i used to be 40k. how much was battle for my craggy?

The Canuck prices of the various Warhammer bits (rulebook, battle of something or other, etc) are exactly the same as their 40K counterparts a year ago. I think. Actually, Battle of My Craggy may have been 70.

So yeah, BSOPCSkull all the way. Battle o' Mac was a good deal, and that book is mad portable. I never carried the 6th edition WHFB rulebook around because it weighs 8 pounds and doesn't fit anywhere.

Wow, you guys got hosed.

Senbei
05-09-2006, 07:33
Wow, you guys got hosed.

Aren't we all to some degree ? Anyway... No plan here to buy BFSP. Got four editions worth of WFB rules here and think I'll go retro for a while. heheh.