PDA

View Full Version : Duty and Honor! An IG Project Log

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Light of the Emperor
03-09-2006, 04:43
EDIT February 2012:
Wow, almost 6 years since the start of this log and it's still going! Having read through this again, its interesting to see which projects I finished and those that I abandoned. But more importantly, I am reminded again of all the help I have received from fellow Warseers along the way. Vostroya advances!

EDIT October 2009:
Welcome to the beginning of what has become an ongoing, three year journey! Over the next few pages you'll see the start of my guard army, the first steps of a bigger project...far bigger than I thought! While this thread is well over 100 pages long, there is much to discover...everything from color schemes, to fluff, to artwork. If you want to see the last full army picture, go to page 123. Hopefully everything can fit in the shot!
Definately leave comments, suggestions and the like... or, if you have questions about Vostroyans, feel free to PM me.
Now back to the original post...

Over the past three years, I have played many a game with one army. My all stormtrooper/inquisitor DH force accompanied me to three US GTs and quite a few RTTs. I've always received great remarks from my opponents while they beat me into the ground :rolleyes: . Yes, the army is themed which tends to place me at a great disadvantage in terms of gaming. Afterall, isn't the whole purpose of building a DH force to get the Grey Knights? I must admit that my ratio of losing three games out of four is beginning to wear on me...but everytime I look at other armies, I go right back to my inquisitors, rhinos and stormtroopers. It takes some impressive models to pull me away. And earlier this year, I saw them:
The Vostroyans.

After seeing the rumors and previews of this new guard regiment right here on Warseer, I knew I had to have them. Antique looking guardsmen with fur hats and scary gasmasks? Count me in. I immediately picked up a platoon box set and started converting. Over time, I finally decided to start a new army and devote myself fully to vostroya's finest.

So after a few more purchases and trades I currently have:
2 platoon box sets
1 vostroyan squad box
2 officers
3 snipers
4 commisars
and alot of Heavy Weapons

My objective is to paint and convert a 2000 point army of Vostroyans. The basic troopers are just too nice to convert, but I like my armies to be different. So, maybe its just me, but I think the Vostroyans have a second edition feel to them. I plan on converting all the heavy weapons to be mounted on wheeled chassis a'la 2nd Ed. Guard. I also plan on putting the "Imperial" back in Imperial Guard by adding servo skulls, cherubim, tech priests, servitors, aquillas...you name it. Blending the dark, gothic motifs of 3rd and 4th edition with the wierdness and classic ideas of 2nd edition should give me the personalized look that I want.

I hope that this project log will be of interest to all. I am running this log not so much for motivation, but for the great feedback and suggestions that everyone has.

Now then, on with the show.

LotE

Light of the Emperor
03-09-2006, 04:49
With a nod to 2nd Edition, I began working on my heavy weapons:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2544.jpg

I used the plastic artillery wheel sprue, an ork zzap gun chassis and the plastic heavy weapons from the cadian HW sprue.
The neat thing about the sprue is that you get 5 different kinds of weapons. So buying 3 sprues gives you 15 total weapons that can make 5 Heavy Weapon squads! Not bad when the single vostroyan lascannon team costs 15 dollars.
I plan on mixing up the models for gunners and spotters with other vostroyans. I find it kind of wierd looking when all three HW bases have the same posed figures.

Calgar
03-09-2006, 07:46
Absolutly brill!!
The glorious Red Revolution a la 1917 ( although in the future), anyone??;)
Keep it up :)

schoolcormorant
03-09-2006, 15:39
yeah, vostroyans kick ass for the emporor, i love these sorts of threads, where people have the stones to convert stuff.
are they going to be typical urban or vostroyan countryside (if there is any?)

Light of the Emperor
03-09-2006, 15:50
These vostroyans will be a bit different.
Imagine the 'eavy metal scheme. Take away the red and replace it with catachan green and camo green.
As for bases, I'd like to avoid the popular urban set up. Snow is great, but snow tables are very rare indeed which would make the army look odd on regular table tops. With that in mind, any ideas?

schoolcormorant
03-09-2006, 16:13
why not try a muddy base scheme, you can stipple browns round the bases of theri cloth.
it would involve plaster and paint and glue, but also you'd need to do the bases then glue the fig on, a little difficult with metal figs...
or even just typical countryside, but, with their green tunics they wouldn't look out of place.

Light of the Emperor
03-09-2006, 16:17
I've always liked the standard GW basing of brown rims with patches of static grass on top. Its simple, yet effective.

UnRiggable
03-09-2006, 17:42
more vostroyans?! :wtf:
Did you make an army list?

Light of the Emperor
03-09-2006, 18:13
I know right? Outta nowhere there's all these new vostroyan armies.

The one codex that I actually need right now, I can't find. I don't have a set army list, but having played guard before, I know what I'm after.

Command HQ with lascannon squad, mortar squad, autocannon squad, sniper squad, demo squad
Platoon 1 with command squad, 3 infantry squads (all with heavy bolter and grenade launcher)
Platoon 2 with command squad, 2 infantry squads (all with missile launcher and grenade launcher)
Armored Fist squad
Rough Riders
maybe a hellhound
2 Leman Russ. One might be an exterminator variant.

Doctrines: carapace armor, iron discipline, rough riders, special weapon squads, enginseers

Kinda stereotypical for a guard army...but I like it. I am open to ideas.

schoolcormorant
03-09-2006, 20:12
can i suggest you use a demolisher variant too, that way you can have multi melta sponsons, then you will get some meltas in the list.
thats one hell of an army list though. cant wait to see it finished.

Light of the Emperor
03-09-2006, 20:15
The demolition squad will have 2 meltas and a demolition charge...but a demolisher is a good idea.
I'm currently working on some conversion pieces which I'll have up later tonight.

On a seperate note, does anyone know why it takes so long for photobucket to resize pictures?

Anvils Hammer
03-09-2006, 20:40
looking good so far mate.

for the bases, I recommend muddy, with about half the base covered in patches of snow and dark green flock.
This creates a snowy look, but one thats not to snowy, itll look good on almost any board.

Light of the Emperor
03-09-2006, 21:36
I apologize for the large pictures. They are resized, but I don't know why they don't show that way.

I've made a start on my new models. First off is the commander. He's loosely based off Commander Harazhan in the IG codex. He is reading/dictating battle orders with the help of his map cherubim. I might add one of those inquisitor sages that are writing down all of the commands.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/Vostroyans/100_2556.jpg

An assortment of various models for the force. Commissars are a must because they are just too cool. A couple of weapon swaps and they are good to go.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/Vostroyans/100_2552.jpg

And here's my Demo squad. The conversions are quite simple. Instead of using the medic as Dave Taylor did, I used the heavy bolter spotter. Once you put some green stuff over the exposed ammo in the drum and add a handle, it looks like a perfect "teller" mine/ demo charge. These guys have suicide squad written all over them. Who could blame them when you're throwing a St. 10 weapon a mere 6 inches?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/Vostroyans/100_2555.jpg

A close up of the heavy bolter.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/Vostroyans/100_2554.jpg

More to come. And hopefully a paint test model by Tuesday.

Bluesabre
04-09-2006, 01:31
Cool, another metal IG army. Liking your conversions so far. Looking forward too see some painted examples soon.

UnRiggable
04-09-2006, 02:52
Post #12 Pic #1: Isn't that captain pointing like low-ish? Looks wierd...

The Judge
04-09-2006, 13:33
Wow, there's some cool ideas here. I feel annoyed that my own Vostroyan army is already nearly finished... missed the opportunity to do cool wheeled guns as well.

ghostmaker12
04-09-2006, 14:20
looks cool but i was wondering why you used commissar gaunt from the ghosts?

I found that the Ice Warrior Lieutenant and Chenkov make good looking vostroyan commissars.

Aegius
04-09-2006, 15:05
I really like your conversions. When are you going to start painting them though?

MrAnderson
04-09-2006, 15:48
I like the Melta coversions. Nice and simple.

-=B@toun3T=-
04-09-2006, 16:59
Very good job (heavy weapons & meltas)
I wait for the color schem.

Batbat.

primarch16
04-09-2006, 17:08
I'm a big fan of the vostroyans, and what you did with the heavy weapons suits them really well. I imagine it saves plenty of cash. What ideas do you have painting wise? And basing, will they be fighting in ruins or some other terrain?

Light of the Emperor
04-09-2006, 18:39
Real quick, here's the paint scheme:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2559.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2560.jpg

I have a loose style. Of course, when looking from afar as normal, the model looks a lot better. He still needs a dullcoat. Comments?

I'll be back soon to answer all the other questions.

Anubis_the_Harlie
04-09-2006, 18:43
Sweet. Very well painted... good scheme too!

Light of the Emperor
04-09-2006, 19:06
Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions.

I really like this paint scheme. It might sound cliche, but the pictures really don't do the model justice. Once the shine is gone, alot of the layering, ink washes and highlights will be visible. But, it gives an idea of what the army will look like.
I LOVE the red vostroyans, but I already have a "red" army. I was going through the GW paint range and had quite a few ideas...but the catachan green/ camo green mix works really well. A whole army should look fantastic.

As for basing, I'm leaning towards the standard basing style that GW uses for their armies: brown base with the patches of static grass. But then there's a side of me that really wants to do snow bases. Only problem is that snow boards are very uncommon. Perhaps a mix of snow and grass flock as Anvils Hammer suggested. Although I have a nice cityfight board now, I definately would like to avoid the cityfight basing that everyone seems to be doing.

The conversions are simple, yet effective. There are some good Vostroyan articles by Dave Taylor and Bryan Cook. The heavy weapon platforms turn out to be about the same cost as if buying ones straight out of the box. Yes the weapons are cheap, but 5 bucks for the zzap gun chassis and 8 dollars for the two vostroyans. The key is that it is different and looks good.
Hopefully everything combined will give this army the 2nd edition look that I want.

Ghostmaker12: genius! I completely forgot about those two models. They will be perfect. I chose Gaunt because its an awesome model and it won't be hard to make him a vostroyan commissar.

schoolcormorant
04-09-2006, 19:42
the scheme does indeed look awesome! if i may say so, without being too forward, you probably need some new boltgun metal or it needs watering down, in the pic it looks a little blistered.]
are you going to paint grain lines on the gun?
the green is extremley well highlighted, good job :)

Light of the Emperor
04-09-2006, 20:39
Well the boltgun is watered down believe it or not...but I see your point. Maybe its because of the black ink wash?
I'm not too fond about the black pants and rolled up sleeves. Is there any other color that would go well with the green?
Finally, does anyone know what paints are used on the standard brown/static grass GW bases?

schoolcormorant
04-09-2006, 22:29
the black roll ups are good but maybe a 50:50 shadow grey and odex grey mix would look better to highlight.
also, it may be the picture giving me the idea about blotchyness, the reverse pic doesn't have it nearly as much so forget about it ;)
you don't want to overload the fig with millions of different colours (call up the hyperbole police :))
the standard bases are done like this
glue sand and gravel on (gravel optional) allow to dry
brown ink all over (don't touch it until at least 4 hrs later, otherwise sand will lift off)
drybrush bestial brown then bubonic brown, then bleached bone
mix a touch of green (any) with PVA and dab in area you want grass, dip base into grass allow to dry, tap off excess then blow off final excess.
voila - or to people who don't speaky chinese there y'are!

Pfreck
05-09-2006, 12:48
Nice to see some other stuff from you LotE :) This army will fit perfect in your awesome cityfight board! :D
I like the style of the heavy weapon teams, it looks old but also modern..
nice job, can't wait to see it finished..

Light of the Emperor
05-09-2006, 23:32
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2563.jpg

Well here's the other test model. I wanted to get used to painting the scheme and iron out any kinks before I go into mass production. Usually I paint with a very "realistic" approach...so no unrealistic highlights or huge layering of colors. When I look at my models up close, they look nice and real. But from far away on the table, they look average.
So I'm doing the opposite. The close ups aren't as good when compared to shots further away. I can't wait for a squad to be done to see them all together.
Hopefully by this weekend I'll have the first squad up. I have a bunch of other stuff to worry about including college and a Firebase! batrep using my cityfight table...but I'll do my best. I'm a speed painter at heart ;).

I would love some more input on the "rolled up" fabric by the gloves. Should it be black, a darker green, maybe red (a reversable camo smock for the normal vostroyans)? Also, what colors should the boots be in relation to the brass armor on them or maybe silver armor. GW just painted it brown in their pictures...or so it looks.

Finally, I'm looking for 4 Empire banners, 4 plastic autocannons and 1 plastic lascannon (from the cadian HW spure). If any of you guys have spares and are in the US, please PM me and maybe we can work a trade. Thanks.

The Hoff
06-09-2006, 00:06
They look cool,

For the rollups, I think dark green is a really good idea.

My only comment would be, becuase there is a lot of metallic area on these models, more time spent hightlight and shading your metallics would be well spent, just to accentuate the different segemtns of metal.

ghostmaker12
06-09-2006, 00:54
hey i think i have 4 plastic auto cannons and a lascannon lying around you want?

Light of the Emperor
06-09-2006, 04:27
@The Hoff: I'll give that dark green a try. As for the metals, they are shaded, but the gloss doesn't help. As soon as I dullcoat the test models, I'll see what needs to be done. The standard vostroyan color scheme calls for a highlight of burnished gold over brazen brass, but that didn't come out right. Instead, I did brazen brass, ink wash, brazen brash and mithril silver. Blacklining should do the trick to seperate the medals, I'll give that a try too.

Light of the Emperor
09-09-2006, 21:01
It takes me 3 days to paint 5 guys...boy is that just great.

Here's some of them:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2567.jpg

The spotter needs a bit more work on his cloak to dim the highlights and bring out the back. Once I get my hands on some static grass, that will probably go on too.

This is the squad sgt.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2568.jpg

I'm not too fond of them close up, but they look great from a distance IMO.

schoolcormorant
09-09-2006, 21:06
the wheels look really good with the vostroyans, almost made to measure huh?! loving the sergeants hat too ;)

good job, now paint more!

also, is that a mortar team using HB?

Light of the Emperor
09-09-2006, 22:21
The empire wheels look great. Problem is, you can't buy spares so they are the only ones I've got.
The gunner is from the lascannon team and the spotter is a mortar guy. I'm mixing them all around.

UnRiggable
09-09-2006, 22:38
That looks great but the gold looks like it needs hiliting

-=B@toun3T=-
10-09-2006, 00:11
Good job !

Mmhh catachan green (Like my guards)
Highlightnings are in camo green ?
I'm not a fan of the Vostroyans but this schem color is great and that change of the basic red schem.
Heavy Weapons conversions are awesome.
Continue like this.

Batbat.

UnRiggable
10-09-2006, 01:59
By the way the medalion on the commander looks like the 'Y' from yahoo.com

schoolcormorant
10-09-2006, 10:08
don't highlight the gold too much (armour i mean) or it'll look like a bling bling guardsman, and not the vostroyan ethos that all love !

ghostmaker12
17-09-2006, 00:12
Yea lookin good!

When you gonna start using those parts i sent you i must see what you turn my bitz into.

Light of the Emperor
17-09-2006, 00:46
Well I just finished the first squad so I'll have pictures of them tomorrow. I'm trying to complete a full platoon before painting anything else...so squad 2 and the HQ are next.

As for the bitz I got, they are all going to become wheeled heavy weapons. Like the lascannon and heavy bolter, the autocannons and missile launchers will all be on wheeled chassis.
3 lascannon squads attached to the HQ, 3 autocannon squads attached to the HQ, 3 MLs for the second platoon, 3 HB for the first platoon and 3 mortars attached to the HQ.

cthorpe
17-09-2006, 10:44
Hi there,

I love the way this army is developing, and especially the alternative colour scheme (having just purchased a Platoon box myself).

I shall be following this project with great interest..

Best wishes,

Carl

Light of the Emperor
17-09-2006, 16:05
Thanks for the comments!
I have some pictures here:
My work desk with vostroyans. There are two more infantry squads, two command squads, overall command and two special weapon squads. I still have to order a bunch more, but this'll do for now.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2610.jpg

Next HB conversion:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2613.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2607.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2609.jpg

schoolcormorant
17-09-2006, 16:41
just superb LOTE
as i have said; i love the wheels and stuff
squads look great and well unified by colour scheme
only one thing, perhaps vary colours on fur hats?

overall brilliant, just great.
SC

Crazed_monkey
17-09-2006, 16:46
A full unit of them painted looks amazing, I really like the colour scheme and the wheeled heavy weapons.

TCUTTER
17-09-2006, 17:45
i love um, there like a practical version of the vostroyans, you know, not in red, i think that the homage to the older guard stuff is great too, i miss the wheels...

The Judge
17-09-2006, 18:52
That is a damn fine gun mount. I'm beginning to wish I could go back and re-do all of my own heavy weapons...

Unique1
17-09-2006, 19:58
SUPERB!!!

I love your vossie colour scheme. It is perfect for the minis.

I'd love to see some pics of them on your Cityfight board.

ghostmaker12
17-09-2006, 23:21
I see the base i sent you!!!!! it has a green ring around it!!!!!!

dude thats awsome you make me want to buy vostroyans but no i will resist i am starting to paint up some of those ST'S you gave me. Good luck cant wait to see MORE!!!!!!!!

Deadleyheadley
17-09-2006, 23:25
They look sweet mate ,Keep up the good work and looking forward to more finished minis :)

Light of the Emperor
18-09-2006, 00:10
Thanks all!

I really like the color scheme. You could say the red is parade ground dress while the green could be for some campaign that they are fighting in. The Sgts and officers have different colored hats. The sgt in the picture has white fur, but its not visibile too well next to the others.

I'll take some pictures of them on the cityfight board as soon as I finish my batrep for FIREBASE! 2.

Now then, what other second edition imagery comes to mind? I have rolling gun chassis and old school flamers so far. I gotta be missing some important things though.
And if anyone has left over empire banners, I will pay you a fortune! Ok maybe not that far, but you get the point.

2nd squad is primed so I'll hopefully have them done by the end of the week.
Cheers

Light of the Emperor
20-09-2006, 00:53
http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/9770/heavyboltercomp8pw9.jpg

Aaaarghhh!!!! How dare they copy my very unoriginal idea! ;)
THAT is the way a heavy weapon chassis is supposed to look. Here I am using ork zzap gun chassis...
But its all good. I think mine are perfectly OK. I think my vostroyans will have an allied death korp platoon attached to them...yes, yes thats a good idea. Germans and Russians working together in the 41st millenium!

ghostmaker12
20-09-2006, 02:31
dam that looks nice.

ghostmaker12
24-09-2006, 13:34
so man its been a while got anything new done?

Snakebite
24-09-2006, 14:13
Unfortunately, I've only just discovered this thread - although, I have enjoyed reading it all so far in one go!

Your Vostroyan experience sounds almost identical to my own. In my case, the Vostroyans pulled me away from my Space Marines. I like the models but, just as you have, I felt a need to convert them.

My original colour scheme was the "official" red of the Studio army. It wasn't until I read here on Warseer that it seemed "unrealistic" for Vostroyan Snipers to take to the field in bright red uniforms that I decided they needed a toned-down colour scheme. Looking through my paints, I found the Catachan Green / Camo Green colour mix that I had experimented with when they had first been released. I even tried painting up a few models with it but something wasn't ringing true about it.

Strangely, I think it must have been in part the red colours that drew me to the Vostroyans in the first place. So after experimenting with toning down the bright reds of the official uniform, I have come up with my own scheme based on it.

The chassis' you have for the Heavy Weapons is a remarkable idea - not to mention a real money saver. Kudos!

Light of the Emperor
24-09-2006, 18:08
I was actually drawn to the red too. Nothing like dress uniforms in the grim darkness of the far future. The red was nice, but everyone was using that scheme so I figured I switch it to green because a) it could be a campaign uniform with red being parade ground and b) I like painting green and I already have a "red" army.

I'm working on a squad per week...but I need 4 more to go. Here's the first part of the second squad:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2636-1.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2638-1.jpg

What I need to paint:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2640-1.jpg

And a sneak peak of my HQ. The leaders are discussing tactics with a comm/radio operator there as well. Still WIP.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2641-1.jpg

HiredSword.
24-09-2006, 21:36
that's lovely painting light of the emperor. I don't really have any complaints of anything so far APART from the command squad looks like complete and utter chaos.

Two officers pointing different ways and another kneeling as if singing 'lalalala'. The only one looking happy with himself is the cherub lol.

good choice on colours btw.

Light of the Emperor
24-09-2006, 22:47
Thanks for the comments.

I just threw the command squad figures on the base real quick so people could see what I'm doing. Here's what it should look like: The cherub is holding data readouts that the officer and his adjutant are going over. The final product will have them both pointing in the same direction.
I cut the laspistol off the sgt's hand and am replacing it with a radio/comm. A wire will run from that to the commlink guy's backpack which I have yet to put on. He's cupping his ears so he can hear an incoming message in his headset. It'll all make sense when I really start working on it. The Green Bay Packers were playing so I had to make it quick :p .

I'd like to finish my platoon first, so two squads with vet sgts, heavy bolters and grenade launchers and the HQ with heavy bolter, grenade launcher.
After that I'll start work on the overall HQ.

ghostmaker12
25-09-2006, 00:41
lookin good cant wait to see what els you got goin.

Ziljin
25-09-2006, 03:05
the painting is freaking amazing, makes me forget about the metal models limited poses.

skillness622
25-09-2006, 11:00
I just threw the command squad figures on the base real quick so people could see what I'm doing. Here's what it should look like: The cherub is holding data readouts that the officer and his adjutant are going over. The final product will have them both pointing in the same direction.
I cut the laspistol off the sgt's hand and am replacing it with a radio/comm. A wire will run from that to the commlink guy's backpack which I have yet to put on. He's cupping his ears so he can hear an incoming message in his headset. It'll all make sense when I really start working on it. The Green Bay Packers were playing so I had to make it quick :p .

Actually, if you've ever seen an 'O Group' or similar meeting of officers to discuss tactics, two people pointing in wildly different directions and the radio op kneeling on the floor helplessly is quite accurate, at least till someone higher-ranking shows up and cuffs some ears ;).

The rest of the army looks *very* impressive, I just wish I could paint guard consistently to that standard :cries:.

HiredSword.
25-09-2006, 19:08
lol, i guess that would be better, the composition will look very nice when finished. can't wait.

Light of the Emperor
29-09-2006, 16:31
2nd squad is done! It took me most of September, but I now have 2 infantry squads with Vet Sgts, grenade launchers and heavy bolters. The platoon command should be done in a week

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2657.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2659.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2656.jpg

I had another idea for my heavy weapons. I was thinking of getting 3 cyclops from forgeworld and have each one pull a heavy weapon chassis with the vostroyans running alongside. I'd like to have them mounted on bases, so I might have to make bases (kinda like the oval ones from forgeworld).
I'm assuming there's a 60mm square base in warhammer? I need to get three.

2nd edition also seemed to be the golden age of banners. Every model seemed to have one. So, each HQ squad (3), armored fist squad (1), rough rider squad (1) and one of the russ will have battle standards.
It adds to the 2nd edition feel as well as to the archaic look that the vostroyans possess.

Comments and critiques welcome as always.

no-use4a-name
29-09-2006, 16:44
Your stuff looks great as usual. As for banners, I'm a fan. It allows for some nice conversion work, free hand opportunities and helps to create a sense of drama. Here's lnik to a tut, not that I think you need it, just in case you wanted to make some out of GS. It's super easy. http://www.hqtheclub.org/content_gs_banners.html

Looking foward to updates.

scrubout
29-09-2006, 16:49
I'm lovin' it. Great stuff LotE, when I pick up my vosts soon I hope I can make them look spiffy like you!

I think I seriously need to look into getting a nice display cabinet too, it's bad when models get dust on them :eyebrows: . I'd be honored if you could check out my project log and leave some feedback.

And yes, lots and lots of banners for sure. It's so fitting for Vostroyans to carry lots of banners!

-peace out
scrubout:skull:

Steel_Legion
29-09-2006, 17:50
those look ace, loves the heavy weapons and the sarg, converted? look forward to seeing the commander finished :D keep it up,

Scribe Enzo
29-09-2006, 17:52
These are definately my favorite vostroyans that Ive seen. They look really gritty with the green coats. Great work.

And I can wait to see the command HQ finished. Ive always liked that picture and its good to see a model inspired by it.

Enzo

schoolcormorant
29-09-2006, 18:22
beautiful, truly; the best vostroyans i've seen - you and Snakebite. Funnily enough you have the same scheme. really neat lines and good technique really, the detail is so good it doesn't matter that they are a bitch to convert.

SC

Light of the Emperor
29-09-2006, 19:08
Thanks for the kind words guys...I truely appreciate it!

no-use-4a-name: Thanks for the link. I'm gonna try greenstuff and/or flashing (thin roofing metal) for banners and see how they turn out.

Steel_Legion: Both Sgt. are indeed converted...just basic hand swaps with the cadians to give them the typical laspistol/CCW combo.

The banners are gonna be tough considering there aren't many vostroyan models that have suitable hands for holding banners. However, those flying cherubim and servo skulls can be of some help.

Snakebite
30-09-2006, 00:04
Comments and critiques welcome as always.

I have one - well, more of a question really. I'm also planning a Vostroyan army and I hope to end up with a decent number of infantry models. My question is, since there are only ten or so individual infantry models, how do you plan to make each one look unique? That is, if you plan that at all!

beautiful, truly; the best vostroyans i've seen - you and Snakebite. Funnily enough you have the same scheme. really neat lines and good technique really, the detail is so good it doesn't matter that they are a bitch to convert.

And then some!

Thanks for that comment, SC. Although I've since renounced LotE's scheme and returned to the reds and golds. LotE has pulled off the green much better than I had managed to.

As far as the banner holding models go, here's the conversion I made for the Company Standard.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Tularis/Conversion.jpg

It's a Space Marine left handed Chainsword with the weapon trimmed away and the Command Squad Banner pole inserted in its place. Simple, but very effective.

EmperorsChamp01
30-09-2006, 00:08
great job. Its really kool that you dont confort to the normal Red scheme for those babies. Keep it up.

Light of the Emperor
30-09-2006, 00:58
EmperorsChamp01: Thanks! Will do.

Snakebite: It is pretty funny how close our ideas and execution really are. I saw your green paintjob on that sniper and then looked at mine and it was EXACTLY the same. Your painting is very cool though...much better than what I can amass at the moment.
As for the standard bearer, pretty much the same idea: space marine hand with metal rod going through. I will have a lot of banners so I'm converting some:
- General Grizmund from Forgeworld will hold a banner from his tank (all he really needs is the fur hat).
- The sgt model will hold one as mentioned.
- I'm taking the sniper with the mustache and giving him the seperate arms/hands of the steel legion sgts. All you do is cut off the weapons and you can run a pole right through. He makes a good standard bearer.
- For my armored fist squad, I will have a cherubium hauling a banner, straining to keep its massive weight in the air.
- And then the banner guy who comes in the command box.

There are only 6 different infantry models so it would get pretty dull after a while. The easiest way to make them look different is by alternating metals on the gasmasks. If a model has a gold mask, then the next model of the same kind should have a silver one. It makes a pretty big difference actually. Another thing to do is cut off the bayonets...it changes the whole look. I also use officers as sgts to vary things a bit.
As for heavy weapons, I use the spotters and other vostroyans as well. One of my mortar teams has the comm link guy since mortars need to be receiving coordinates anyways...my lascannon team has the pointing sgt...because he's giving directions. Even one of the casualty models work! The guy lying on his stomach is a perfect partner to the heavy bolter gunner. Just cut away what I assume to be the intestines and it looks like he's hugging cover like his buddy.
I actually converted a tank commander out of empire and cadian bitz and he looks like a vostroyan. I will get some pics of him soon.

Cheers.

Epicenter
30-09-2006, 06:08
And a sneak peak of my HQ. The leaders are discussing tactics with a comm/radio operator there as well. Still WIP.[/IMG]

Great stuff, I think. Fantastic painting. However, that command group is sort of humorous. It's like two guys arguging about what to do next and the 'comms officer' looks more like he's covering his ears going, "Damn, my IQ is dropping just listening to you guys. LALALA NONONO I CAN'T HEAR YOU."

Snakebite
30-09-2006, 09:03
Snakebite: It is pretty funny how close our ideas and execution really are. I saw your green paintjob on that sniper and then looked at mine and it was EXACTLY the same. Your painting is very cool though...much better than what I can amass at the moment.

Thanks!

I liked the idea of choosing a different scheme to the reds because then I would be free to choose my Doctrines. I actually got the idea for the scheme from looking at a Lord of the Rings Painting Guide in the UK White Dwarf a few months back. Problem is, I like the red too much!

- General Grizmund from Forgeworld will hold a banner from his tank (all he really needs is the fur hat).

I don't think I know what that model looks like. Time for a trip to Forge World's web site, methinks!

- I'm taking the sniper with the mustache and giving him the seperate arms/hands of the steel legion sgts. All you do is cut off the weapons and you can run a pole right through. He makes a good standard bearer.

I have a mental picture of that and I agree, it looks really good. I need to get another Sniper pack for an idea for a Melta Gun conversion so I'll try that out too.

- For my armored fist squad, I will have a cherubium hauling a banner, straining to keep its massive weight in the air.

I imagine that will rock. I take it you mean the cherubim from the Inquisitor's Henchmen packs?

There are only 6 different infantry models so it would get pretty dull after a while. The easiest way to make them look different is by alternating metals on the gasmasks. If a model has a gold mask, then the next model of the same kind should have a silver one. It makes a pretty big difference actually. Another thing to do is cut off the bayonets...it changes the whole look.

I'm surprised I didn't consider that! I just thought the best way to do it would be to convert every model. I know there's potential in the whole Vostroyan range, I'm just not sure there's that much!

I also use officers as sgts to vary things a bit.

As do I. I thought that individual Sergeants and Squad Leaders should look unique so I went for all the individuality I could find!

As for heavy weapons, I use the spotters and other vostroyans as well. One of my mortar teams has the comm link guy since mortars need to be receiving coordinates anyways...my lascannon team has the pointing sgt...because he's giving directions. Even one of the casualty models work! The guy lying on his stomach is a perfect partner to the heavy bolter gunner. Just cut away what I assume to be the intestines and it looks like he's hugging cover like his buddy.

Sounds good!

I actually converted a tank commander out of empire and cadian bitz and he looks like a vostroyan. I will get some pics of him soon.

Looking forward to those. So far, the only idea I've had for a Tank Commander is the Mortar loader because he's holding his hands over his ears to block out the noisy tank engines!

Thanks for the help and inspiration.

Light of the Emperor
01-10-2006, 03:24
Here's the tank commander:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2679-1.jpg

Basically an empire torso, cadian sgt. head, a forgeworld brass eagle and a feather from an empire soldier. Once I get a tank, he'll get the arms with the binocs.
The other tank commander will be general grizmund from forge world. He just needs a hat green stuffed.

Painting wise I'm currently working on my demolition squad. I need to order a bunch of bits to continue alot of the other squads. So while I wait, I'll be painting the sniper squad, demo squad and some mortar teams.

ghostmaker12
01-10-2006, 13:11
looking nice cant wait to see more.

Arcane_Blade
01-10-2006, 19:59
Beautiful, just beautiful!
By the way, I think the base with the commander on would look better with the lower ranking officer having his hand at his side. It wouldn't look like a reflection then, rather that he was recieving orders or just considering the plan. If the commander's head was made to face him, it would support the idea even more, as if he really were speaking to him. (Although they are metal figures, meaning they're a bitch to convert ::rolleyes: , so it doesn't matter whether any of this advice is taken :D )
Anyway, awesome so far, keep up the brilliant work. ;)

Astador
01-10-2006, 22:56
They look good! I'm going to have to keep an eye on this. I need to finish my two armies I am already working on, but I was to order Vostroyans right now!!!! lol
Cheers.

Light of the Emperor
04-10-2006, 02:47
Currently working on the demolition squad. Then I realized that 2 meltas and a demo charge are worth a lot of points for a suicide unit. Although I'm painting the meltas, I don't expect to see them with the squad come game time. I think just the charge would be best. The meltas would probably go into armored fist squads or something...

Anyways: TWO QUESTIONS:

1. You've seen the bases so far. Should I go snow?

2. What else can I do to make this army 2nd edition themed? Got the flamer nozzles, gun chassis, tons of banners, commissar...what else?

MIGHTYPanhead
04-10-2006, 03:05
Great log so far, neat to see vostroyans done differently. :)

as to your questions:

1. Although snow wouldn't look out of place, it's kinda cliche. I think some dead brown grass, and maybe some larger rock could give the bases some more character...although they're quite fine as-is.

2. aside from brightly coloured guns, I'm not sure. I think it has enough of 2nd ed. to give it more character, without overdoing it.

...please don't do bright red and yellow guns :P

HiredSword.
04-10-2006, 18:58
2. ratlings? i think they look fine at the moment. Whatever you do, no bright colours please!

schoolcormorant
04-10-2006, 19:13
orange guns? no thanks, that totally destroys vostroyan ethos IMO.

apart from that bases are good as they are (i'm not one to talk) large slate bits and stuff could help, dead grass, try clean dry paintbrush bristles (i mean the decorating style ones) cut them quite short but hold them in one direction. a little like static grass but they won't stand up bythemselves.

even try www.bwbits.com/ you can get warhammer off the sprue skulls, they look reallly cool, type fantasy skulls into search, you can get 3 for $3.50.

SC

Light of the Emperor
05-10-2006, 03:59
Don't worry about bright colors. I'm gonna keep painting black until they make something darker.:D

For basing, there's a few ideas. I thought snow would look cool. Everyone seems to base their vostroyans cityfight style which I'd like to avoid. Perhaps the dead static grass would look cool. I also found a way to make leaf litter out of real leaves...so maybe a fall theme? It would complement the browns and greens on the uniforms.

As for 2nd edition themes...there's not really much more I can exploit without severely changing the look of my army.
I should be done with the demo team by this weekend. I'll then get started on the overall HQ while I wait for my bitz order.

Oh, what do you all think of cyclops vehicles pulling the gun chassis with vostroyans running along side? I think it would look pretty neat. Take that Dave Taylor!:D

I'm still building the army so I'm open to all ideas.

schoolcormorant
05-10-2006, 13:39
that would be cool, you'd need some sort of link though, like a plasticard construct, i do like the cyclops, you may need to do a bit of conversion to get it not looking like an expllosive box

SC

Light of the Emperor
06-10-2006, 02:40
Well I think I finally have an army list. Its good enough for me to know what models I need. If you have any suggestions, as always, I'll be happy to hear them. Here we go:

Doctrines: Carapace Armor, Iron Discipline, Special Weapon Squads

HQ:

Heroic Senior Officer: laspistol, powerfist, medallion crimson, trademark item
Standard bearer, Medic, Flamer, Guardsman
Commissar: stormbolter, powerfist, medallion crimson

Troops:

Junior Officer: laspistol, CCW
Plasma, Heavy Bolter, 2 Guardsmen
Commissar: laspistol, CCW

Sgt, Heavy Bolter, Grenade Launcher

Junior Officer: laspistol, CCW
Plasma Gunner, Missile Launcher, 2 Guardsmen
Commissar: laspistol, CCW

Sgt, Missile Launcher, Grenade Launcher

Fast Attack:

Hellhound: Extra Armor, Smoke, Heavy Stubber

Heavy Support:

Leman Russ: 3 Heavy Bolters, Smoke

This list comes out to a little under 2000 points. My sgts and officers will have various weapons that are too detailed to get into now...but you get the idea. All the squads will rely on the command radius of the command squads as well as on their 4+ armor. The list has plenty of weapons to take on all comers. I know I lack close combat punch, but the command squad will have to do until I get some rough riders.

Back to painting!

FarseerUshanti
06-10-2006, 03:13
Great paint job. I personally think the models look great up lcose, but I'm not exactly a great apinter either though. A quesiton I had was how ar eoyu planning to do your tanks? It seems like the color scheme could be a bit difficult to us eunelss you did some form of a camo pattern.

Also for bases I think you hsould go for a bit of contrast to oyur model. Nothing to extreme as to take away form the model, but enough so it catches the eye ever so slightly. My example is how I used a super light brown with static grass on the bases of my USF army which wa spainted with black as the main color. It really set the model off. You may want t do something to that extent or add small amounts of snow.

Happy painting

ghostmaker12
07-10-2006, 00:35
well i have almost the same color army as you so for tanks i found paint the whole tank catachan green (if your using GW paint) then take black paint and make long pointed stripes and then paint your dark brown inside but leave some black showing on the edges. its sort of a tiger stripe pattern.

Light of the Emperor
08-10-2006, 00:42
Another unit is finished! Although I painted the meltagunners, I'm not too sure that it's a wise decision to put them in a demo squad. As soon as someone sees a demo charge coming towards them, the squad is gonna die. I might just run the squad with 1 demo and 5 normal guys. We'll see.
But anyways, here they are:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2685.jpg

Next up: sniper squad...I hope.

Machinepriest
08-10-2006, 00:56
Sa-weet!
It's really nice to see Vostroyans in anything but red.
I really like them.

Steel_Legion
08-10-2006, 01:23
nice convertion for the demo guy, used to be a HB loader yeah? looks good and i know what you mean about demo charges, many a times my men have been mowed down when they were spotted jsut waiting for those terminators to get within range...
About your army list, trade mark items are useless when a commi is in the squad, first failed check and he blows the HSOs brains out, no re rolls or anything

Still learning
08-10-2006, 02:08
if you want another Demo charge, i'v though about useing the medic and cutting off the thing that his holding with his right hand and putting whaterver you want in there.

BTW, this is a little joke i came up with and by no means is it ment to offend you but... Who hugs a demo charge???

Light of the Emperor
08-10-2006, 15:01
Thanks guys

@Steel_Legion: Yup the guy is the heavy bolter loader. I used some greenstuff to cover the exposed bullets and added an old rhino door handle. Its big and bulky...looks like a demo charge to me!
Are you sure about the trademark item and reroll? I've seen many instances where the officer is allowed to reroll before the commissar shoots him. It was even brought up in WD if I remember correctly. I'll have to check it out.

@Still learning: I remember Dave Taylor did something like that, using the medic as the demo guy. Hugging a demo charge...good question. I figure that even if you hold it at arms length, and it blows up, you're as good as dead anyway. Maybe that guardsman has a love for explosives?

Mrlemonjelly
09-10-2006, 20:55
I like your paint scheme (they're very well painted) but I'm just not keen on the Vostroyan models themselves.

Zodiac
12-10-2006, 20:35
Amazing man, Nothing but Ace work on those models.. get the command painted !

Light of the Emperor
12-10-2006, 23:38
I'm currently finishing up my platoon command squad. Once that is done I'm gonna get a start on the overall HQ.
Cheers!

Steel_Legion
12-10-2006, 23:56
dont quote me on the rules, all i heard once was you cant get any possible reroll, not sure if that is correct, thats the way i play anyway, but if i am wrong pelase do tell, then my commi will stop shooting my general....

Light of the Emperor
13-10-2006, 01:37
Yeah, I do believe the trademark item takes effect before the commissar executes somebody. Like I said, I've seen it in plenty of examples. If I find out I'm wrong, then I'll take it off...but for now it seems like a pretty good investment.

Teeth
13-10-2006, 02:37
They look DAMN NICE.

Really like the colour scheme you have done with these guys. Really works well. And the heavy weapons look ace.

keep up the good work.

Light of the Emperor
13-10-2006, 03:54
Thanks...all the comments and suggestions are appreciated.

You know, I was looking around for models to make vostroyan rough riders. The article I found on the UK GW site had a guy using the attilan rough rider models. The models do have the right faces and moustaches, but every fur hat needs to be filed down. One slip and the detail on the face is gone. So, I looked around further and think I found them:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/Gryphonlegion.jpg

The Kislev Gryphon Legion! The guy on the far right won't work, but the rest all look like vostroyans...well almost. I need to figure out what to do with the beards. I might just have to alternate between the two non-bearded models. The hats are much easier to file down and replace with green stuffed fur hats. Of course they won't have shields, and I'm debating whether or not to include the feathers...but, I'll probably order one for now just to see how the armor looks like. They also come with a banner model which helps me in my quest for a banner per unit/platoon.

So anyone have any experience with these guys? Think this might work?

Light of the Emperor
13-10-2006, 18:50
Finally got my hands on some material so here's the first platoon standard bearer:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2686.jpg

He'll complete my platoon command so finished pictures should be up Sunday or Monday.

Machinepriest
13-10-2006, 18:56
Wow! That banner looks great!
This army is coming along nicely... Great idea with the Gryphon Legion as well.
I think you should keep the feathers. They go along well with the Vostroyan imagery.

UnRiggable
14-10-2006, 17:44
Finally got my hands on some material so here's the first platoon standard bearer:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2686.jpg

He'll complete my platoon command so finished pictures should be up Sunday or Monday.

Theres something wierd about that guy's hand, I think its the fact that he does not have a thumb.

Just sayin

Machinepriest
14-10-2006, 18:46
I for one can see the thumb clearly...

schoolcormorant
14-10-2006, 18:46
yeah he does, it points down across the top two fingers
just sayin lol. don't worry it's hard to pick out.

SC

ghostmaker12
15-10-2006, 02:25
definatley use those guys as RR they look nice. and i say even if they have beards use em' you could just say the RR grew beards to keep bugs out of ther mouths, or just say they are just old guys who joined the cause. or maby use the bearded guys to show senority.

Getz
15-10-2006, 11:50
A note about trademark items...

Firstly, you hav not failed the command check until you have had the chance to re-roll, so the commissar will not blow your officers brains out in the first roll.

However, if you have a company standard in the squad, there is no point taking a Trademark item as they both do the same thing and you're not allowed to re-roll a re-roll...

Also, Powerfistss are generally a bad buy for IG officers. As Independant characters, they will generally get picked out and killed before they get the chance to swing with the fist. On the other hand, a Fist for a Commissar is well worth it as they cannot be icked out of the squad...

As for your Demo team, I field mine with two flamers and find them to be very effective. They're a bit cheaper and complement the range of the Demo Charge nicely.

Suggestions aside, the army looks awesome...

jullevi
15-10-2006, 13:29
I had also considered using Gryphon legion as rough riders, but the problem with them is that they don't have any 40k-ish imaginery, whereas attilan roughriders could be usable after a simple hat swap. I haven't had a closer look on the gryphon legion yet, but i purchased a unit of them to use in my empire army (haven't received them yet). If i were to use them as rough riders, i would definitely not use the feathers. However, I'll wait until i get my hands on the models to give my final opinion on them and their rough rider usability.

I must admit that i liked the way you used the zzap gun chassis for heavy weapons so much that i decided to borrow the idea myself (50% discount on ork heavy weapons at local store also helped a bit). I'm not sure about the heavy bolter, but damn that chassis makes a nice platform for autocannon! I also like your colour scheme a lot, and that standard bearer conversion looks quite promising, can't wait to see it finished.

Bugger, all these IG project logs make me want to start a Vostroyan blog myself! You can never have too much IG blogs, can you?

ghostmaker12
15-10-2006, 14:12
i was looking through the GW IG classic collectors minis when i found a guy that would look quite well as a vostroyan Demo guy. try getting Demolition man from the last chancers he looks like he would make a great vostroyan.

UnRiggable
15-10-2006, 16:58
Also, Powerfistss are generally a bad buy for IG officers. As Independant characters, they will generally get picked out and killed before they get the chance to swing with the fist. On the other hand, a Fist for a Commissar is well worth it as they cannot be icked out of the squad...

They aren't independent characters until their retinue dies.

Getz
15-10-2006, 19:37
Yes they are, and they can be targeted accordingly. What they cannot do is leave their retinue...

So we get all the drawbacks and none of the advantages...

Light of the Emperor
16-10-2006, 02:44
Little progress has been made due to my busy schedule. I'm now hoping to finish the platoon command squad either Monday or Tuesday. The Vostroyans are actually easy and oftentimes fun to paint. It just gets repetitious: all gold, then all silver, then all washes, then all browns, then all greens etc...
I also found that planning what I'm going to paint next never really works out, so I'm just not gonna say anything.

@Getz: Thanks for pointing that all out. Well, no trademark item or power fist. That'll save me some points.

@Ghostmaker12: Again you point out a model I completely overlooked. Thanks.

@Jullevi: In my bitz ordering frenzy I completely forgot to order a gryphon soldier. Please let me know how they might fit as vostroyans. While they are missing that Imperial look, it can be easily remedied through green stuff armor, purity seals and forgeworld brass eagles.
Glad you liked the heavy weapon platforms. I'm already ahead of you though...my autocannons, lascannons and missile launchers are all mounted on the zzap gun chassis. To mix things up, try using different wheels.
And one can never have enough vostroyans...they are just too cool!

Light of the Emperor
20-10-2006, 03:38
Alright, got my bitz order so I'm getting to work on 2nd Platoon.
Here's one of my missile launchers:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2717.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2718.jpg

Like 1st platoon, there will be two squads with grenade launchers (and this time missile launchers) and a command squad with banner. Once I get the bulk of my army done, I'm adding another squad to each platoon.

I am finishing up the bases for the command squad so pictures will be up tomorrow.

Cheers

Bluesabre
20-10-2006, 07:06
Hmm, this is an interesting concept with the Missile launcher. Rather like a multiple barrelled recoilless rifle.

All the rest are looking great so far keep up the good work, unlike my slow arsed project =(

ghostmaker12
20-10-2006, 11:39
thats pretty interesting. is that just it or is there gonna be some more detail?

Light of the Emperor
20-10-2006, 16:01
I have some more forgeworld brass so I might add that to the launchers. I also have missiles so those will go in as well.

Now then, I have finally completed a platoon!
Here's the HQ...minus the guy on the left who found his way into the squad! :
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2723.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2720.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2721.jpg

And the army shot so far:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2722.jpg

Comments, suggestions always welcome!

Getz
20-10-2006, 16:30
Obviously the flag doesn't do anything seeing as it's a Pltoon HQ, so what does the guy carrying it have?

Personally I'd make him a Medic so he can patch up the plasma gunner if he overheats, and then buy the Officer a Trademark item to give the squad a "Company Standard Lite" effect...

Verfallen
20-10-2006, 16:40
Those are some of the best IG I've seen in a long time, I especialy admire those Heavy Bolter Teams. The only critisism I have (and it is a minor one) is that the plasma gun looks a bit awkward unhighlighted, my suggestion would be to hit it with some ice blue or somehting to that effect.

Kudos,
~V

firestorm40k
20-10-2006, 17:28
Looking very good, LotE! :cool: Keep up your good work! :D

Light of the Emperor
20-10-2006, 17:54
Thanks guys!

@Getz: The banners are just there for looks. I was going to count him as a normal guy, but the medic idea you suggested is a good idea. I'm still new to the Guard so I appreciate your input.

@Verfallen: I agree on the plasma. I had it highlighted and then used blue ink that wasn't watered down enough. I'll go back and fix it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Ritterkreuz1
20-10-2006, 20:22
it's really cool stuff man! I especially like the missile launcher, it looks like a german Nebelwerfer (you know it?).

ghostmaker12
20-10-2006, 21:55
lookin good LotE. what els you planing on buildin' any tanks or sentinals?

HiredSword.
21-10-2006, 12:00
really nice models there, although maybe you should reposition the seals on the flag to be flowing in the same direction.

Light of the Emperor
23-10-2006, 03:21
@HiredSword: Good point. Thanks

@Ghostmaker12: I plan on including a Mars/Ryza pattern Russ with some additional conversions as well as one of the FW hellhounds and three sentinals. Perhaps a chimera too.
For now though, I'm focusing on the infantry as I have no idea how to go about painting the tanks. I like the vostroyan tank scheme but would like to see/try some other ideas.

Col.Gravis
23-10-2006, 12:43
Liking the look of that Missile Launcher, might be tempted to yoink that idea! ;)

I do have one slight critism of the standard though I'm afraid the way the standard is being held just does'nt look quite right to me, in the first instance holding the pole upright one handed would probably be a little tricky, and further magnified when the banner appears caught in a stiff breeze from its positioning, it may be a little thing but it does look a little unnatural to me, if its one handed like that it should be at a slight angle IMHO.

ghostmaker12
24-10-2006, 19:56
awsome cant wait to see your sentinals and tanks

Light of the Emperor
28-10-2006, 20:40
It took a while, but here they are:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2759.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2760.jpg

My woodland scenics snow flock came in so I'll experiment with some basing techniques.

I guess its time to paint up some heavy weapons!

Snakebite
28-10-2006, 20:48
Looking good on those infantry models.

It has actually answered a question that I had - painting the back of the sniper with the face mask has foxed me completely until now! No one I spoke to seemed to know how he should be painted.

So thanks for that!

Light of the Emperor
29-10-2006, 03:05
I had to look at it for a while too. You could probably paint the skin brown and say its a leather hood too. Or, one could sculpt vostroyan hats ontop for variation.

Hmm...I just might do that. A couple more snipers with a slight difference in look and BAM! instant ratling squad. More snipers, better cover saves, less points to spend on carapace armor.

ghostmaker12
29-10-2006, 03:09
those snipers look pretty bad ass.

one thing sticks out to me. is the sniper without the hat or mask looking down the scope or looking over/around it?

old guard
29-10-2006, 08:42
That green works beautifully with those, what is your 'recipe' for achieving it? A truly fine job. I look forward to pictures of these boys in acttion on your cityfight terrain.

Light of the Emperor
29-10-2006, 15:28
Well the green is pretty simple and much similar to Snakebite's test schemes:

Black undercoat

1-2 layers of catachan green

An almost 50/50 mix of catachan green and camo green with the latter being a bit more. A drop or two of water is mixed in as well. Layer this mix ontop of the catachan but leave the darker color in the recesses.

Highlights with straight camo green

Light drybrush with camo green to tone everything down and pull it all together.

Hope that helps.
And I will definately get some pictures of them on the cityfight table!

doghouse
29-10-2006, 15:55
I must admit I'm not really all that keen on Volstroyans but having said that these guys are really excellent! Amazing army you have there mate, especially loving the heavy weapons as well.
What you got planned for vehicles btw?

Snakebite
29-10-2006, 21:00
Hi, LotE - Just checking in to see how things are going...

I've come to the point now where I too am getting ready to paint tanks and I've hit a bit of a strange one.

Will you be painting them camouflaged? I know the standard red Vostroyan armies tend to be monotone tanks with red banding on them. However, since playing Dawn of War Winter Assault with red Guard, I've noticed how interesting it will look if the pattern is camouflaged. Is that how you'll do it?

As I've already said, great progress so far. I'm hoping I can catch up!

Light of the Emperor
30-10-2006, 01:55
I'm kinda stuck as well.
I like the vostroyan tank scheme with the bone color and I would just add green striping to the hull.

The other thing I was thinking of was camo stripes. Ships during wartime would paint their hulls with stripes at various angles to confuse submarine captains as to where the ship's front and end were. Now, I wouldn't go this far on the tanks, but they could have jagged stripes as well.
If I remember correctly, the vostroyans "fantasy equivalent", the kislevites, paint their horses with jagged red stripes so why not tanks?

I'm not too fond of camo painting though.

Instead I'm buying some cityfight sprues in order to make the tanks mastercrafted. Since vostroya is almost, if not, a forgeworld, they might have a paricular style leman russ.

As always I'm open to ideas. Feel free to post your tank pictures here!
Thanks.

hallowed_are_the_ori
30-10-2006, 03:33
Man your Vostroyans look amazing! Shame i started a Steel Legion army, otherwise i'd do a Vostroyan one, and just my luck, SL's are no longer sold by GW Aust. ....YAY.

Anyway, kick ass paint jobs, your painting skills are great.

Light of the Emperor
02-11-2006, 02:36
Epiphany! That prone heavy bolter gunner and the casualty lying on his stomach make perfect snipers! I can now form a true ratling squad. I'll buy two more of the normal snipers and greenstuff the hats to make them different and BAM! 8 snipers that count as ratlings.

I think I finally figured out how to use snow flock. Using just pva glue caused the snow to fuse too hard making it look more like ice. By mixing white paint with a little pva, the snow sticks, yet it retains its fluffy texture.

Guess I gotta start painting again.

Snakebite
02-11-2006, 09:42
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/Tularis/Demolsiher.jpg

The other thing I was thinking of was camo stripes. Ships during wartime would paint their hulls with stripes at various angles to confuse submarine captains as to where the ship's front and end were. Now, I wouldn't go this far on the tanks, but they could have jagged stripes as well.
If I remember correctly, the vostroyans "fantasy equivalent", the kislevites, paint their horses with jagged red stripes so why not tanks?

I'm not too fond of camo painting though.

Interesting idea. What we need is one of those interactive tank painting programs to test out our ideas!

Instead I'm buying some cityfight sprues in order to make the tanks mastercrafted. Since vostroya is almost, if not, a forgeworld, they might have a paricular style leman russ.

As always I'm open to ideas. Feel free to post your tank pictures here!
Thanks.

Done!

I've added a few Cityfight bits to this one, as well as a Vostroyan Lascannon team trimmed down barrel as the hull mounted weapon.

Light of the Emperor
02-11-2006, 14:09
That looks neat Snakebite!

According to GW, Vostroya is a heavy industrial world (forgeworld too perhaps?) If so, I'm sure Vostroya would have its own russ pattern like Ryza and Stygis and Mars. I was thinking of getting the mars/ryza pattern russ and adding on a larger engine, longer barrel and vostroyan style heavy bolters.
I need to get my platoons finished first though.

Snakebite
02-11-2006, 14:46
Thanks!

I actually got the idea from Dave Tallor's article on the US Web Site, if I remember correctly.

I need to get my Platoons started!

scrubout
02-11-2006, 15:37
I doubt you haven't seen these sight alread, but just in case:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperialguard/vostroyan-regimental-assets/4/

I gotta figure out how to Vostroya-fy my Griffon Mortar Carrier at some point myself...:D

I love your paint scheme LotE, keep it up!

-peace out

Light of the Emperor
02-11-2006, 15:47
@scrubout: I actually based my tank commander on that conversion with a few small differences. If you get any brainstorms on that griffon let me know.

@snakebite: the vostroyans are fun to paint, but painting model after model...On my first platoon, I painted a squad a week. Now I'm down to about 6 models a week. I gotta pick it up again. Once this second platoon is done, I'm in the home stretch.

Snakebite
02-11-2006, 16:19
My tank commander was pretty much an accident! I had already decided I wanted the magnoculars guy from the Lascannon team to be on the tank and after trying him in a number of different positions, I realised that with a tiny amount of trimming, he easily fitted into the Commander's turret.

I tend to lost focus with the painting rank and file as I don't usually get that much time at a stretch. I certainly couldn't get a squad done in a week and I have my doubts about just six models. I need a plan!

Light of the Emperor
03-11-2006, 03:04
Well here's some other pictures for now as I work on the mortars...

Workspace:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2763.jpg

My 2nd platoon banner bearer. He's a vostroyan sniper body with a steel legion sgt arm and a space marine chainsword hand:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2767.jpg

And just for fun...and no those aren't space marines:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2768.jpg

HiredSword.
03-11-2006, 16:55
oooo, you have to show us some close ups of your other armies, they look nice.

And if those aren't marines, does that mean they're adeptus mechanicus? :eek: just thought that because of the red and black.

Light of the Emperor
03-11-2006, 18:12
@Hiredsword: They are my daemonhunters. No greyknights. They are an inquisitor cell: 4 inquisitors and 6 squads of stormtroopers.

Still learning
04-11-2006, 00:10
WOW, Show us your tank company. pls pls pls

HiredSword.
04-11-2006, 10:58
sounds like a cool army anyway.

About your standard bearer, you've made the purity seals blow the wrong way to the flag again. Also, i think the way the flags blowing, it wouldn't be able to be held with just the one hand.

Light of the Emperor
04-11-2006, 15:50
Aargh! You are right about the seal. So I went and fixed it.

I agree with the flag blowing too, but a lot of the guard banner bearer models grip them in one hand albeit slightly slanted. Oh well, its the last banner that I needed to make so might as well have it like the other one.

I'll get some pictures of the inquisition and armored company up today as I continue with the mortars.

Light of the Emperor
07-11-2006, 01:18
Finished up the mortar squad:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2769.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2772.jpg

Onto the 2nd platoon!

Snakebite
07-11-2006, 06:06
Nice work on the mortars! You've had the same idea I did about using different models as the loaders - looks much better than identical models across the squad.

Nice!

Col.Gravis
07-11-2006, 14:31
I spy plastic horses on a earlier pic, whats the plan there?

Getz
07-11-2006, 15:11
I'm imagining a scrap between Col.Gravis; Praetorians and your Vostroyans, Light of the Emperor...

Hmmm... Redcoats vs Russians. Crimean war goodness... Drool...

ghostmaker12
07-11-2006, 18:36
looking good LotE.

i also spotted some horses in an earlier pic so where you goin with those?

btw when are we gonna be seeing some of them sentinals and tanks?

Light of the Emperor
07-11-2006, 19:55
Thanks guys! I liked that comment Getz...might have to sig that.

The horses are for my planned rough riders. I'll be using some of the kislevite gryphon legion models. I put a picture of them up a few pages back. I'll eventually get around to ordering one to see how easy (or hard) it will be to convert them to vostroyans.

The tanks and sentinals probably won't happen until January. I still have no real idea on how to attack them paint wise. Plus, I want to get all the troops done first anyways.

Light of the Emperor
11-11-2006, 02:59
I have an army list, but it needs tweaking. I think I went overboard on the HQ. Comments and help appreciated:

Doctrines: special weapon squads, ratlings, rough riders, carapace armor, iron discipline.

HQ:
Heroic Senior Officer- power sword, boltpistol, refractor field, medallion crimson, iron discipline
Commissar- power fist, boltpistol, refractor field, honorifica
Medic, Standard Bearer, Vox caster, Flamer

Fire Support Squad- 3x autocannons

Anti-tank Squad- 3x lascannons

Mortar Squad- 3x mortars

Special Weapon Squad- demo charge

Elites:
Ratlings x8

Troops:
HQ:
Junior Officer- Iron Discipline
Commissar
Plasma Gunner, Medic, Heavy Bolter

Squad 1:
Sgt.
Grenade Launcher, Heavy Bolter

Squad 2:
Sgt.

Squad 3:
Sgt.

HQ:
Junior Officer- Iron Discipline
Commissar
Plasma Gunner, Medic, Missile Launcher

Squad 1:
Sgt.
Grenade Launcher, Missile Launcher

Squad 2:
Sgt.
Grenade Launcher, Missile Launcher

Squad 3:
Sgt.
Plasma Gunner, Lascannon

Fast Attack:
Hellhound- Smoke Launchers

Rough Riders x8- Hunting Lances, Vox

Heavy Support:
Leman Russ- smoke

Leman Russ- smoke

Total: 2200

I'd like to craft a 1850 point list and tweak this one a bit to get it up to 2500 with some more units.
How does this list, as it stands, look? I already have enough tanks so I'd like to lean more towards infantry in this army.

Thanks

cpl_hicks
11-11-2006, 18:57
the list seems okay just a couple of points

Heroic Senior Officer- power sword, boltpistol, refractor field, medallion crimson, iron discipline
Commissar- power fist, boltpistol, refractor field, honorifica
Medic, Standard Bearer, Vox caster, Flamer

the HSO and the Commisar seem to be over cooked points and equipment wise

i would strip the refractor field & medallion crimson off the HSO, and possibily downgrade him to a Junior officer with a honirifica (or keep the HSO, and give the honirifica to a sgt)

i would also strip the refractor field and honirifica from the commisar

you have bought a vox caster but the list only has a vox in the rough riders squad, also you dont say if its a master vox and a regimental standard, if they arnt i would advise them to be

the rest of the list seems fine

jullevi
11-11-2006, 21:52
The horses are for my planned rough riders. I'll be using some of the kislevite gryphon legion models. I put a picture of them up a few pages back. I'll eventually get around to ordering one to see how easy (or hard) it will be to convert them to vostroyans.

It depends on how much are you willing to modify them. I'm not a fan of the helmets nor the feathers - they are nice but don't really fit vostroyan image IMO. On the other hand, if you decide not to use the feathers, you must sculpt a fair bit of cloak and fur to fill the gaps in their back. Chainmail body is fine, but you may want to scult the chainmail skirt into vostroyan coat - that should be easy. In addition, i'd consider mounting them on bretonnian warhorses. Anyway, i think gryphon legion are currently the best base for rough rider conversion as far as whfb range goes.

I have a box of gryphon legion but i cannot decide whether to build them into rough riders or use them as gryphon legion in my empire army. Anyway, i'll probably wait for the new empire models to be released before i do either - the outriders set might provide some useful rough rider conversion material as well.

Lovely looking army, cannot wait to see more.

Light of the Emperor
11-11-2006, 23:29
@cpl_hicks: Thanks for the input. I'm definately gonna cut down the HQ. The vox is a standard vox. Since only the rough riders will be out of my HQ Ld. screen, I don't have to worry about multiple units calling in. I never saw a true purpose for regimental standards and their equivalents in other armies. I'm happy with the company standard.

@jullevi: I'm sculpting the fur hats over the helmets so thats no problem. I'll use single feathers on them too. Those feather banners seem over the top. I like your idea about the coat too. I'm really looking forward to the empire "clockwork" horse...very industrial...hopefully.

How are the gryphon legion in terms of size? The vostroyans are quite big...how do the models compare to them?

jullevi
12-11-2006, 14:40
How are the gryphon legion in terms of size? The vostroyans are quite big...how do the models compare to them?

Gryphon legion are somewhat smaller than vostroyans. I don't think they are too small, though.

UnRiggable
12-11-2006, 20:03
I say get another mortar squad and put them at the opposite corner of the map. Not too sure about the carapace armor either, but sometimes its very worth taking.

ghostmaker12
13-11-2006, 01:38
thats kinda wierd LotE our army lists are identical in some ways. where you have auto cannons i have hvy bolters. and where you have ratlings i have stormtroopers.

pretty cool.

also i agree with UnRiggable you should have another mortar squad to shell enimies from another postion just incase they kill your other squad.

Light of the Emperor
14-11-2006, 03:51
Once I get this army up and running, I'll test out the mortar teams and see how they fare. I don't plan on them playing a large role in my game plans. They are more of a harrasment unit and can hopefully draw some units their way.
Carapace is expensive at 20 points a squad, but it gives me armor saves against most standard rapid fire weapons...and...I don't need to paint more damn models! ;)

Zodiac
14-11-2006, 10:31
I think i heard you say "UPDATE!"

:P

Voronwe[MQ]
14-11-2006, 17:00
That camo green colour scheme works excellent on a whole army, though I'd have preferred to see all the wheels being Ork wheels instead of cart/wagon wheels. ;p

UnRiggable
14-11-2006, 23:59
Once I get this army up and running, I'll test out the mortar teams and see how they fare. I don't plan on them playing a large role in my game plans. They are more of a harrasment unit and can hopefully draw some units their way.
Carapace is expensive at 20 points a squad, but it gives me armor saves against most standard rapid fire weapons...and...I don't need to paint more damn models! ;)

Yeah I guess you're right it's just the common special / heavy weapon features an AP4 so...

Mortar squads...you have to shoot at the right thing. Usually at a small squad as you hit a bunch of targets. Take a standard 6 man las plas team. Two kills, not very hard to do, force a pinning/leadership test.

Light of the Emperor
16-11-2006, 04:19
Finished up 5 guys, 5 more to go.

For all you guard and background enthusiasts: What type of army are the Vostroyans? Based on their doctrines and storyline, the vostroyans seem like a generic force. They have strict firing drills and are trained in close quarters as well. In terms of unit selection, they seem balanced.

I'm starting to like the idea of a mobile artillery company. Waves of Vostroyan guardsmen hauling weapons to the front....Centaur tractors pulling troop trailers...Heavy mortars/ griffons lobbing shells into the air...heavy weapon chassis pulled by horses...

Well what do you guys think? My army is all troops so far so I'm open to ideas in regards to tanks and overall theme.

Althanan
16-11-2006, 06:39
I've yet to see a list of Doctrines for Vostroyans (maybe I'm looking in the wrong place... not in my IG 'Dex and I have yet to notice them in my Cityfight book?), but from what I know of their background, they seem like a hard-as-nails type of army. Like the Steel Legion, I see them either laying down a siege or taking one... and likely breaking it. Lots of Mortars, lots of ML's, Bassies and Demolishers galore.

That's how I interpret them anyhow.

Getz
16-11-2006, 09:37
If memory serves their official doctrines include Carapace and Hardened Fighters - possibly sharpshooters too...

jullevi
16-11-2006, 11:31
Vostroyan doctrines suggested in White Dwarf can be found on GW site (http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperialguard/vostroyans/1/).

Special weapon squads
Heavy weapon platoons
Sharpshooters
Carapace armour
Hardened fighters

ghostmaker12
16-11-2006, 23:19
i think having some horses carrying supplies or a hvy weapon would look pretty awsome. but one thing that would look pretty cool amongst your troops would be the DEATH KORPS OF KRIEG
CENTAUR ARTILLERY TRACTOR AND HEAVY MORTAR (sry for caps i copy and pasted it off FW).

Light of the Emperor
16-11-2006, 23:27
I was actually looking at the new forgeworld stuff. The mortars would be awesome to have. They would be great stand-ins for griffon tanks. I could have trojans pulling those covered trailers acting as chimeras too.

I just got the new WD and saw the clockwork horse. It's an all metallic construct...no flesh. It doesn't look right to me though so I'm sticking with old school horses.

jullevi
17-11-2006, 00:26
I just got the new WD and saw the clockwork horse. It's an all metallic construct...no flesh. It doesn't look right to me though so I'm sticking with old school horses.

Can you get us a pic or scan of the clockwork horse? With a pretty please on top?

Light of the Emperor
17-11-2006, 00:28
Let me give it a shot...hang on

Ok here he is:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/Clockwork2.jpg

If he's like helborg and that schwarzhelm guy, then he's metal. No major converting then. While its a cool model for one person, having to convert 10 of them is too much. I like the old horses anyways.

Bluesabre
17-11-2006, 04:31
heh! its a necron horse :D

Sigismundjimbob
17-11-2006, 05:12
that mec-horse looks weird. i wouldnt expect the dwarves to be able to build sumthing lke that, let alone empire engineers. seems a lil to 40k to me. it would look good for a leader or such in a squad but i agree converting 10 to look diffrent would look a tad weird.

Ritterkreuz1
17-11-2006, 07:29
I had a Fanatic last week here in holland, and the elite-store nearby had some empire previews. I believe this one was amongst them too, I think it was plastic, but I could be wrong.

Getz
17-11-2006, 10:30
I'f it's plastic then my LatD may be getting soe Rough Riders...

Wolf Scout Ewan
17-11-2006, 15:43
I hadnt seen gthe mech horse till that point. FFS why did they have to make it rearing? *sigh*

Still will look good with DKoK.

Voronwe[MQ]
17-11-2006, 18:21
that mec-horse looks weird. i wouldnt expect the dwarves to be able to build sumthing lke that, let alone empire engineers. seems a lil to 40k to me. it would look good for a leader or such in a squad but i agree converting 10 to look diffrent would look a tad weird.

That seems definitely not Warhammer to me. It's an excellent mechanical steed for a officer from the nobility (it's all the ornamental things), though the nose/mouth is weird, but not much more.

Light of the Emperor
18-11-2006, 23:14
I think I'll stick with the old horses. They help bolster that 2nd Edition feel that I'm looking for. Both my lascannon and autocannon teams will have their weapons drawn by horse teams.

I believe I found a theme for my army. It took the recent forgeworld newsletter for me to realize it though. Mobile Artillery!
And here it is:
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/hmort7store.jpg

Its a big gun, on wheels and can be taken in squads of three as heavy support choices. The heavy mortars fit in perfectly with all my other chassis mounted weapons. To add that 40K touch, cherubims will be flying around them and load shells into the openings. 1 out of the 3 required guardsman will be a servitor of some sort...either carrying shells or mapping out coordinates.
Since this force will focus on the artillery, what tanks if any would be best: basilisk? griffon? bombard? medusa? manticore?

As for an army name, they shall be called the 11th Vostroyan Imperial Artillery. The name comes from the 11th "Imperial" Air Defence Artillery Brigade that my father commanded during Op. Iraqi Freedom. The PATRIOT missiles from the 11th were 8 for 8 on scuds fired at coallition forces.
While ground to air missiles don't equate to heavy mortars, you get the point.

Questions and Comments welcome as always
Cheers!

ghostmaker12
18-11-2006, 23:33
i would say a medusa or some bassies would look good for tanks. But i recomend equiping them with armoured crew compartments.

Getz
19-11-2006, 01:58
i would say a medusa or some bassies would look good for tanks. But i recomend equiping them with armoured crew compartments.

I wouldn't... A waste of damn points for very slim increase in protection. Your best bet is to just kee them out of site.

Of the Artillery tank options...

The Griffon is my favourite, but if youre fielding a battery of heavy mortars they're a bit superfluous...

The Bombard isn't really as effective as it sounds, and is pretty expensive with it. Definately one for mega-battles or special scenarios only...

Maticores have a honking great minimum range and cannot fire directly like a basilisk to make up for it. The AP 2 is nice but the 4 shots less so. I would only use them if I absolutely, definately had to kill every **** on the table from 300" away. Also, big rockets don't seem to hang so well with your theme to me...

The Medusa looks awesome, but it lacks indirect fire and has a pretty short range. It's really a single purpose weapon - that purpose being bunker busting - but it's the nicest model of the lot in my opinion.

I would say go with a couple of Basilisks. They will nicely complement your theme and give you some higher strength, low AP artillery with which to scare any MEQs or Heavy armour witless - that said, I would use Medusa models and have them count as Basilisks... :D

Light of the Emperor
22-11-2006, 02:40
Medusas as bassies it is! I always liked that model...

Anyways, I haven't gotten any further on my Vostroyans. I do however have 5 days off work and college so its time to get back in the swing of things.

The Vostroyan 11th needs your help!
If you have any of the following and are willing to trade, sell, or give freely to the cause, let me know:

-Sisters of Battle Laud hailers
-DH/WH familiars (servo skulls and more importantly cherubs)
-DH/WH sages
-Ork Zzap gun chassis
-Roughrider horses
-Vostroyan models
-Space Marine Servitors
-Kislevite Gryphon Legionairres

Cheers!

Althanan
22-11-2006, 05:22
I have a servo skull and a WH "sage" (I think it may actually be an acolyte, but the model definately works as a sage IMO) to spare. PM me if interested.

Morgrad
22-11-2006, 06:31
Dammit - I *know* I had some old servitors in my "bits and misc. minis" box, but I can't find them to save my life. I did find a pile of old necromunda minis, a old lead slaanesh character, some ancient (and just horrible looking) plastic terminators, but I can't find the servitors. =/

Too bad, though - they were originally crew for thudd guns and mole mortars, many many moons ago. =)

Maybe I gave 'em to my brother and he still has them kicking around. I'll ask.

Malchek
22-11-2006, 09:54
Hi LOTE, I just stumbled on your thread and have to say your army looks superb and your painting is extremely good! Well done and keep up the good work!

Malchek ;)

Core_Commander
22-11-2006, 11:36
Just found this thread, too. Wow, great work. Vostroyans never looked better :D. Rock on!

Light of the Emperor
22-11-2006, 15:10
Thanks guys!
All comments and help are truely appreciated.

I'm gonna be painting a bit today so I'm hoping to get the entire missile launcher squad done by Friday.

After that I need to paint:
2nd Missile Launcher Squad
Platoon Command
Overall Command
3 Commissars
3 Lascannon teams
3 Autocannon teams

Thats just the stuff I have. I don't even want to think what is ordered or still needs to be ordered!

@Althanan: sent you a PM
@Morgrad: The old school servitors are really nice. Here's hoping you can find them;)

Snakebite
22-11-2006, 16:48
I have some old Kislevite models that I inherited from my brother in law so will have to check what I have available. I'll keep you posted!

Light of the Emperor
22-11-2006, 21:07
Got some good news today. One of my Vostroyan squads has made it into the final cut of the Golden Angel painting competition held by 40K Fanworld, a German website.
Here's the squad:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2688.jpg

Now whether it makes it into the top three, I don't know. But, I'm pleased its gotten somewhere.

Ok, back to painting.

UreeL
22-11-2006, 21:13
Those are some very impressive Vostroyans! Keep up the good work and you can be sure I'll keep checking this thread.

I like the medusa for basilisk idea, but do make sure you mention it to youre opponent before the battle. (You never know that youre opponent actually knows about the stats of a medusa :p)

UreeL

Thargrund
22-11-2006, 21:35
Nice! really good job there mate, i really like em - really well painted as well

Light of the Emperor
23-11-2006, 18:31
1st Squad of 2nd Platoon is done!

Not the best picture but:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2787.jpg

And the missile launcher:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2789.jpg

All comments, criticisms welcome as always.

Cheers!

ghostmaker12
24-11-2006, 00:55
That missile launcher looks awsome. I like how you modled the officer to be holding a rocket.

Creep
24-11-2006, 01:28
I really like this army, I think you've done a very, very good job of them, but I have one critique...

Where are their eyes? :wtf:

Light of the Emperor
24-11-2006, 03:10
@ Creep:
There's two reasons for that:
a) I can't paint eyes to save my life and the vostroyan ones are very small.
b) These aren't display models but rather actual gaming models. Since they'll be on the table top and at least arms length away, the eyes aren't ever noticed. The shadowing from the basecoat is enough to suggest eyes without me having to go in with a brush and mess them up.

Easy E
24-11-2006, 16:37
You Vostroyans look fantasic and I love the wheels you added to the heavy weapons. The green coats is great as well.

I think you could "tech" up or add some detail to those missile launcher barrels. Right now they look like straws on the carriage, and they betray all the other fantactic models. Perhaps the electronic sight from the IG heavy weapons sprue, or some plasticard bands, or different painting techniques?
Otherwise, these deserve all the praise you have received and good luck in the competition.

ZAChos
24-11-2006, 18:21
I agree with E. Good stuff, but the launcher tubes need some detail.

Light of the Emperor
25-11-2006, 02:18
I appreciate the kind words guys...and all the suggestions too.

I also agree that the ML looks kind of spartan. Perhaps some forgeworld brass eagles stretching across the top? In gold?
The other idea I had was to take the FW brass eagle rectangles and hang them from small chains off the front barrels...

Captain_Wolverine
25-11-2006, 02:32
I hate the Vostroyans models but your efforts have changed my mind, well I like yours.

Creep
25-11-2006, 06:42
Maybe steal something from the organ gun to stick on there?

ZAChos
25-11-2006, 10:36
I like the idea of bending an eagle around the top. An eagle hanging from the front would look cool too. Maybe next one you do, get two sizes of rod and put one inside the other so it creates the look of a recoil barrel like on the basilisk?

CaputMortuum
25-11-2006, 14:06
But wouldn't it be kind of moot to have recoil barrel on a roket launcher.

Nice job, LotE! I like them a lot.

caput

ZAChos
25-11-2006, 14:48
But when has physics ever been an issue in 40k?

Sparda
25-11-2006, 18:43
Very nice models. I have one question, though. The missile launcher barrels look a little of center, did you mean to do that or am I just looking at them wrong?

Light of the Emperor
25-11-2006, 19:55
@Sparda: I had them all pushed over to one side. If I wanted to center them, there would've been some metal in the way and I didn't want to file it down.

Here's a conversion I'm working on.
Inspiration from UD WD 316:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/Vostroyanwithaxepistol.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2791.jpg

Still needs some greenstuff work but the weapon is coming along nicely. I'm gonna add some feathers and I will attempt to turn his tunic into a trench coat by lengthening it at the bottom. I might add a flying servo skull too.

Snakebite
25-11-2006, 21:56
I'll be keeping an eye on this conversion with great interest.

I think it's fascinating that when the Vostroyan range was first released, particularly here in the UK, everyone I spoke to said that there was virtually no scope for conversion with these models. I'm happy to see we're proving them wrong, my friend!

Voronwe[MQ]
25-11-2006, 21:57
Let the servo skull be. That model is already striking. The 'home-madeness' of the axe-pistol weapon is endearing for a amateur war historician, somehow.

@Snakebite.

Strangely, that's what I thought too (though dependant on the fact that they are very good and detailed models and one don't wants to spoil it just in case), but seeing your (means both of you with mustaches like boars' tusks and big, cylindric fur hats) models made me think: No conversion possibilities? It's just first awe-lack of imagination, that's it!

HiredSword.
25-11-2006, 23:11
plus if you file the hats down and sculpt hoods; voila! adeptus mechanicus minions.

Nice work on the axe, although you might want to model somewhere to put the chainsword as that axe looks like a doublehanded weapon.

old guard
25-11-2006, 23:29
Sweet idea but with one teeny tiny reservation (sorry) any soldier who suck the barrel of his weapon into the dirt would pretty soon know about it ...albeit only briefly.
I know its a pain in the *$£%, and it may just be me being pedantic but... this would work so much better is you chop it into 3 with a pin (or a hole ) through the hand and have the axe head at the bottom.

Light of the Emperor
25-11-2006, 23:45
HiredSword: You mean like a scabard? I wish I could take that chainsword away but its connect the whole way across the shoulders. There is no way to get it off. I looked at the other officers, but they don't look like the one in the illustration...and the weapon wouldn't "fit" with them.

Good point Old Guard...it would look better that way too. Problem is, the hand and handle are metal so cutting it would be a pain. I remember there is a marine assault sprue that had the plastic axe on it. Is that still available? Or better yet, does anyone have an extra plastic axe they don't need?

Snakebite
25-11-2006, 23:48
I remember there is a marine assault sprue that had the plastic axe on it. Is that still available? Or better yet, does anyone have an extra plastic axe they don't need?

You know what, I just might. Let me check my bits box and I'll let you know!

EDIT:

Sadly, I don't have it any more! No, it got used in a Space Marine conversion competition a couple of months ago. And I didn't even win it! The Space Wolves sprue is another place to get a good axe, although I'm trying to remember now which hand it's for.

Getz
26-11-2006, 02:09
I might have one kicking around - my Marines use sword exclusively...

old guard
26-11-2006, 10:18
You, dear chap, need a Dremel (or such like) and one of those nifty jewelers saws (the one GW do) if you havent got them already. It's fiddly, I grant you but it is do-able (just get some Kevlar gloves (any supplier of Personal protective equipment for builders will have some) and no they are not huge or expensive, to protrect your fingers...trust me on that one..)

Light of the Emperor
27-11-2006, 01:48
I'll have 8 Vostroyans of the ML squad done tomorrow. I'll then add some more detailing to the ML itself and finish it up along with the crew.

Iron Duke got me thinking on hunting animals from an old WD creature feature. I searched through my bitz box and found a DH eagle:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2794.jpg

While the DH arm may look bigger than the vostroyan arm, that bottom piece sticking out is actually the elbow armor. The two arms are about the same size actually so it just needs a little greenstuff to fill in the gaps.
The two headed mechanicus eagle fits in quite well I think. This guy is the junior officer for my ML platoon. Now what weapon do I give him?

I finished up the other guy. Added a feather and reworked the gun a bit. I kept all the suggestions about the weapon in mind. I will definately rework it for the next one.
As this one stands though, I'm not gonna mess with it. While the gun may look like its on the base, I actually elevated it off the ground...just for you Old Guard ;)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2792.jpg

jullevi
27-11-2006, 12:33
HiredSword: You mean like a scabard? I wish I could take that chainsword away but its connect the whole way across the shoulders. There is no way to get it off.

It can be removed, but there is little point doing so unless you remove and replace the whole left arm as well. This is exactly what i did yesterday, after getting seriously inspired by your conversion.

EDIT: pics

http://www.uta.fi/~hp73209/vasara/vostroyan/wips/officerbc.jpg

http://www.uta.fi/~hp73209/vasara/vostroyan/wips/officerbc2.jpg

Of course, the next step would be fixing the damage with green stuff.

Light of the Emperor
27-11-2006, 14:18
Thats insane! How long did it take and what did you use?

jullevi
27-11-2006, 15:23
Thats insane! How long did it take and what did you use?

I used clippers and a clumsy saw. Took less than 10 minutes, i guess. The trick is to figure out where to cut first.

http://www.uta.fi/~hp73209/vasara/vostroyan/wips/howtocut.jpg

The blue line is the guide for saw and green lines are for clippers. After that there is not much of a chainsword left, the rest can be cut or carved out with saw and/or suitable modelling knife.

Animerik
27-11-2006, 15:49
wow I love these but I never liked the unconverted ones, also the scheme is well painted and looks awsome good work chap! Nice to see someone with some guts to convert these minis I´m a bit tempted to do some voyastrans my self..... must not start another army.... must not...

anyways live the work you are doing and keep doing it

commissarDagmar
27-11-2006, 20:20
Just wanted to tell you how much I love your Vostroyans!

With regards the fella with the hunting eagle, the arm the eagle is perched on SHOULD be bigger than the other arm... have you ever seen the guys that fly birds of prey? Those gloves they wear are HUGE! Most large birds like eagles have talons than could tear your arm off. Just paint the arm in a leather effect and there you go... instant 41st millienium falconer... cool!

Voronwe[MQ]
27-11-2006, 20:35
Falconers, yes. Leather effect will suffice, especially if you aree able to make it look brightworn.

Snakebite
27-11-2006, 20:51
That conversion with the Daemonhunter eagle looks fantastic. Inspired! I'll have to work some to beat that!

Astador
27-11-2006, 22:31
LotE I might have to buy Vostroyans now! Damn you mate!

Light of the Emperor
28-11-2006, 01:43
Thanks everyone!

The guy with the eagle will be getting an axe/pistol weapon as well. I'll get pics up when I finish it.

Vostroyans are great models to have...even a kill team like Snakebite's would be cool to own.

Astador
28-11-2006, 02:16
Well I decided to do an Ad. Mech army with them once I finish everything else. Damn you! lol

Light of the Emperor
28-11-2006, 23:48
An overall shot of the army so far:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2797.jpg

2 Heavy Bolter infantry squads, 1 Missile launcher infantry squad, 1 Platoon command squad, demolition/melta special weapons team, sniper squad and mortar squad.

Work continues on the squad...

Astador
28-11-2006, 23:54
Damn you LotE!! They look amazing!

Light of the Emperor
29-11-2006, 17:12
Glad you like 'em Astador!

Anyways, enough stalling...new squad is done! Well...almost. I still need the ML and crew. But its something! I did a little conversion work on the sergeant. I added the barrel of a mordheim gun to give him an archaic looking pistol. His other hand was replaced with a piece from the chaos vehicle sprue...I shall call him captain hook...ok maybe not.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2802.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2800.jpg

And here's the junior officer again with the axepistol...and the gun is not in the ground!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2803.jpg

And here's the armored company I promised to show a while back.
I'm looking for a talented airbrush artist who can transform these guys into desert camo matching that of the Africa Corp.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2804.jpg

Comments appreciated as always.
Cheers!

scrubout
29-11-2006, 17:33
That hook idea is priceless! I love it!

I to think I bought my Vostroyans because I wouldn't have any motivation to convert them (greenstuffing carapace for cadians I am already not looking forward too)...your slowly making me more inclined to do so now..

On the side, I like that snow board idea, very simple and effective. Do you have the name of that fabric?

-peace out

TCUTTER
29-11-2006, 17:56
damn man, i wouldnt waste such well painted russes, just say that they are from a different regiment, which if you think about it is really the proper way the guard work

Light of the Emperor
29-11-2006, 18:13
@scrubout: It's a generic snow blanket, but I have no idea what the company name is. All types of it are readily available at any craftstore: Michael's, Hobby Lobby, AC Moore's etc. You can't see it well in the picture, but I add craft snow flock (finely shredded plastic) ontop of the sheet to add texture and give the impression of fresh snow.
I have an article on how to "winterize" a table coming up in FIREBASE 3.

Zodiac
29-11-2006, 18:41
Light of the emperor, these look great! I really love the officer with the eagle and the pistol, I was amazed when I saw the officer with the handgun ( the painted one ) the conversion you did is REALLY NEAT! I spot no moldlines and the gun looks very characteristic and antique! Great job, the best vostroyans I have seen untill now.

Snakebite
29-11-2006, 22:23
As ever, seeing your progress inspires me to add to my own. Your conversions look fantastic, particularly the Eagle bearing Officer. In fact, that's probably the most inspired conversion I've ever seen - I can't wait to see him painted!

MAD MAN-A-TRON
29-11-2006, 22:56
*Drewls*

tanks...pretty, lots of, like, like the armored company

Those vostroyans are looking superb!

Light of the Emperor
01-12-2006, 04:40
All the conversions have been greenstuffed and are ready for priming.

The missile team for the finished second squad is looking good. I think you all will like the conversions.

So tomorrow I'll be painting the ML team and three guys from platoon command. The eagle officer and banner bearer will come after that.

Cheers

Easy E
01-12-2006, 07:30
I look forward to your article in Firebase #3.

As for the Vostroyans, they are superb. The eagle is an inspired conversion. I recommend removing the pistol grip from the las-pistol on the combi-axe/las. Great job making this army unique.

jullevi
01-12-2006, 16:16
As ever, seeing your progress inspires me to add to my own.

Sedonded. That is exactly the reason i'm about jump into bandwagon by starting my own vostroyan blog as well. I feel that i have some ideas worth sharing too.

Sergeant Hook and eagle officer are great. Too great not to steal the ideas, that is :D

Light of the Emperor
01-12-2006, 20:59
I look forward to your vostroyans jullevi. The more the merrier.

Light of the Emperor
03-12-2006, 23:16
The 2nd ML squad is now finished!

The spotter is the medic with a simple weapon swap. I also removed the needles on the back of his cloak. As for the original mortar holder, I cut the end of the mortar and added the missile length.
I added missiles to the front to show what weapon it is...the mortar round is frag, the missile is krak. As for details, I know, I know. The next one will get some good stuff.
I don't think I painted the chassis too well though...

Here we go:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2809.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2810.jpg

Next up, Platoon Command!

schoolcormorant
04-12-2006, 13:07
those are awesome LoTE. seriously, i love them. and the armoured company, i'd leave it as it is, though it's up to you, obviosly!
the army looks a treat, keep it up!

SC

tancrede
04-12-2006, 13:45
very, very cool models! i especially like your heavy weapons, but the best of your minis is, imo, the officer with the eagle.
just because i was always fond of john blanche's work !!!

Light of the Emperor
08-12-2006, 04:59
Currently working on the platoon command squad. I painted the banner and didn't like it so I tried something different. If I remember correctly, Roman legions didn't always have cloth banners. They just had poles with decorations, topped with eagles etc. So I have the pole with a halo at the top. I then took a forgeworld brass eagle, cut it in half and added half to the pole. It looks pretty good too.

I also primed my overall command squad.

I'm getting close to finishing all the models I have! Just the overall command, 3 commissars, 3 snipers (2 of them prone) and 6 more troopers (for the heavy mortars).
Of course, then I'm off to buy two more squads, rough riders and enough troops to make lascannon teams, autocannon teams, "ratling" squad etc.

For Vostroya!

liamrob
09-12-2006, 15:18
Hey LoTe love them soooo much.

Free vostryans for me pls!@!@!@! lol there so good.
Can u tell us the colours u used for the skin. Starting to paint my SM now and making my cityfight board. Gonna look similar to urs except the buildings won't be so detailed like ameras.

Keep up the good work. Love the armoured company.
Peace

Toastie142
09-12-2006, 22:36
wow they are amazing , i was considering getting them and i think you've just made my mind up, like the way you have painted the green

Light of the Emperor
10-12-2006, 03:26
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/Wicked_Cold/100_2832.jpg

This command squad has been annoying the hell out of me. I hated the banner so I took that off. I'm currently working on a new one.
I'm not too fond of these guys but oh well.

Those three are all done. The two heavy weapon guys are done as well and are awaiting their missile launcher. Once everything's done I'll get some better pictures.

Then its finally on to overall command!

liamrob
10-12-2006, 03:31
WOW they are nice. I wish i had some spare money to go spend on these but i lack money cause i'm only in my early teens.

Can u get some pictures if u have some time of your >NON< red vostryan army in ur city. I just got a new photo shop thing at home. It sweet as hell so i wanna put some pics together.

Can u post the colours and ways u did faces. I'm tryna do my SM scouts atm but can't get the faces together right. Got 1 face looking superb but our camera is 4mp so very blurry and bad quality. Hopefully new camera in the house at christmas so i'll try get some pics then.

Keep up all the good work. Estimated points u got so far? How much did u spend on avg on em. Time to start saving :p

peace

Light of the Emperor
10-12-2006, 03:57
Thanks liamrob.

I'll definately get some pictures on the cityfight board. Hopefully tomorrow sometime.

As for the faces its quite simple: bestial brown, dwarf flesh and finally elf flesh. No mixing or anything.I leave a little of each layer showing. The eyes for example are just bestial brown since details like that can't really be seen from the table top anyways.

Points wise...I don't know. I'm gonna guess around 600 hundred at most.
Spending...are we talking time or money? At first I painted 10 guys a week but now I'm down to 6 a week. Money wise, a 10 man squad with the converted heavy weapon costs me around 50 bucks. More than cadians but less than death korp. Good thing is the army has carapace armor as one of the doctrines so I won't have as many troops as other armies. All that metal can't be healthy...

Cheers!

liamrob
10-12-2006, 04:04
God i've done about 30 posts in just over 1 day eek! I'm gonna crop one of ur seargants and make him my avatar if u don't mind.

Oh ok good point about the eyes. I don't think my painting skill is good enough yet for eyes anyway. Hmm i might alternate and get different colours of skin. Everyone is different :p. Hmm oh that is quite a bit of money :p but i think i could get some later on. The skin looks very smooth. Hmm time to practise watering down my paints once again. Haven't really painted any 40k minis for nearly a yr besides the last 2weeks or so.

You ever gonna think of getting those death korp guys?? Turn ur armoured company into a Dk one instead (just a sugestion) I wonder if any of these guys got tetanus or whateva the disease is when there running around the battlefield :p

Otherwise keep up the good work!

Hmm i'm gonna go try and paint some more expert faces on my scouts.
Btw how much is that vostryan platoon box. I see it in the background of one of ur pics. Btw what currency do u mean with ur 50 bucks? AUD, USD, GBP

Can't wait for some more pics. Only if i pasted near ur house i could come play in ur gaming room and finally be able to play someone :p

Zodiac
10-12-2006, 10:52
Damn I love that commander with the eagle! He really looks good!
I'm not too sure about the banner holder.. but you know what they say

Maybe lightning strikes twice

Crazy Ivan
10-12-2006, 13:42
Brilliant! This makes me want to collect Vostroyans too. Alas for my finances...
Personally though I wouldn't have gone with an Bald Eagle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald_Eagle) scheme for the Double-headed Eagle, but more like the ancient "Imperial Eagles", like the Golden Eagle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Eagle) or Imperial Eagle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Imperial_Eagle). Still, I like this one as well.

What is the new banner going to look like? Looking forward to more!