PDA

View Full Version : A Discussion; Would it be worth it working at a Games Workshop?

Aun'aart'al
03-09-2006, 06:02
Let us discuss both the pros and cons of working at a Games Workshop, shall we? What do you think their hourly wage is, or are they on commission? Is it worth working there with troublesome children ("I want that, I want that, I want that.., "Oh cool! Can I see that? *drops* Woops!" etc.) How far would be too far to work for Games Workshop, and any other questions I may have missed.

Discuss! :D

Gaebriel
03-09-2006, 06:41
I think the first question should be if you liked to work in retail. Basically, all retail-jobs are demanding, with low wages, a hire-and-fire mentality, awkward work-hours - might vary by country. Pros would be customer interaction, getting to sell things, possibly cheaper goods.

If you can think of yourself in that world, the second question would be GW or not? Well, making a job out of one's hobby is a question of personality - some claim it ruined their hobby other's say it's the best thing that happened to them. Working with a product that is targeted at, thus having a customer base consisting of mainly younglings again comes down to personal taste.

From what I see, GW-employees are not treated better or worse than any other retail-employee I know.

I wouldn't do it, but mainly because I hate having to sell things (been there, done that).

Darkseer
03-09-2006, 08:32
The hours wouldn't be great in GW as stores are still opening from midday til 6. So you're only getting 6 hours of work a day and 6 hours worth of pay. Kinda sucks.

RobC
03-09-2006, 09:00
It's not just a question of whether you would want to work there, but whether you'd be able to. Key-time staff are virtually non-existant these days, and full-time positions are a rarity, despite the low wages and poor job prospects.

You'd be much better off working in your FLGS, assuming you have one. But the chances of a vacancy are probably even less.

Some guy (UK)
03-09-2006, 10:20
For me, if I wanted to work there, it would be no more than a few months- i.e. a summer job, otherwise, it would kill the hobby for me. Models day in, day out, surrounded by them at all times, living and breathing them.

I'd stay only for the staff discount, take as much as possible without raising eyebrows, then leave.

Later, Some Guy

generulpoleaxe
03-09-2006, 10:40
it's a fun job (been with them a few times before) but,as has been mentioned, the pay for most retail and simular jobs is poor. (minimum wage usualy)

the discount isn't as good as it once was either, so you have got to love the job or you will go insane.
being good with kids is a must as well, as you become a part time nanny during the holidays.

Sraydel
03-09-2006, 12:11
I avoid Games Workshop stores like the plague to be honest. Along with wiener kids etc, the employees freak me out. Should I go in there its very quick with little chat. Although im just speaking for the Brisbane area stores...but yeah I will either mail oreder or go to a third parry retail.
My friends have a similar perspective.

Archaon
03-09-2006, 12:27
Probably not if your livelihood depended on it, i.e. if you have to live off the wage.

Excitement only goes this far when you have to struggle to pay your bills and have a little bit left over to save.
Past a certain age there are also better paying jobs in retail.

If you are young however and don't depend on the job go for it.. it may be an experience.

Hlokk
03-09-2006, 17:18
OK, the pros and con's as I see them:

Pro's:

Staff discount: Buying stuff at weight is the easy way to make massive armies fast.
Skill levels improve: spending hours and hours building, painting and converting models will increase your skill levels close to awesome levels
More time in bed: Being a redshirt means you only work 6 hours a day during the week, meaning you can go out and get lashed on a night and you'll have plenty of time to watch Jeremy Kyle and recover from the resulting hangover.

Con's:

The wages: are crap to be brutally honest. I make more for currently driving a combine harvester per hour (5.50 p/h) than these guys do. Even working every hour in the GW week (5x6 week days +14 for weekends +5 for sunday and thursday nights) means a pretax earning of around 257. Deduct the 23% tax rate and you get an average wage of 198. Not really a ton of cash, especially if you have a mortgage and kids.
The constant painting: If you spend all your working time doing something, the last thing you probably want to do when you come home is do more of it.
What do you tell girls: When she asks "so, what do you do for a living?", you ineviatably end up painting it either which way aside from saying "I sell plastic toy soldiers"
GW managers: Aren't really that professional. This would be a con for me as I am used to working in a very professional environment.
Beginners days: Dealing with a load of screaming kids on a Sunday, when I could be in bed watching Buffy is a definte no-no.

Personally speaking, the only way I would even consider working for GW is if I had a fulltime job already at at least 15k p/a and could only work weekends and evenings for GW.

Wolf Scout Ewan
03-09-2006, 17:27
Oooo er... how to put this.

Turning your hobby into a job isnt as simple as it goes. Once you turn your hobby into a job it isnt as fun anymore.

Upside is you are doing something you genuinely LOVE.

ThousandPlateaus
03-09-2006, 18:44
Personally speaking, the only way I would even consider working for GW is if I had a fulltime job already at at least 15k p/a and could only work weekends and evenings for GW.

I considered doing just this - even got to interview, but then, if you really, really think it through, the discount is nowhere near the payment for being a (barely) glorified childminder.

As I've said before, sometimes I walk into GW Brent Cross and:

a)feel very sorry for the guys that have to put up with such levels of cr*p - the pace is basically a creche;

and b)feel like everyone else in the shopping centre is looking in thinking I'm some kind of paedo that has a penchant for Jewish kids.

That was after being there for just 10 minutes, I think I'd go nuts working there...

asmodai_dark86
03-09-2006, 19:37
I had a very odd experience the other day that kind of relates to this.

I was in the local GW, and theres a lad on the counter - I explain I want to do a mail order and wanted to know about a set I was going to buy (enforcers) he then said he didnt know the number of GW mail order, grabbed a white dwarf and after about ten minutes of flicking through I told him the number with a sad sigh.

Anyway he goes off and the manager turns up. Now this guy I've seen at practically every GW I've ever been in - manchester, bolton, warrington, trafford centre, and now he works here.

When I explain the situation and add 'If you ever fancy firing him Ill have his job and do it better' the guy practically offered me the job (turns out the other guy was quiting anyway).

So with a recruitment day in October and my mail order coming in a week I'll see how it goes. I've worked as a professional painter all summer and its been great so lets see how it goes - If I get the job then Ill be a happy man and If I dont, then to hell with GW!

Jedi152
04-09-2006, 08:04
Just to reaffirm: The wages are crap. Terrible infact. A store manager gets less than my girlfriend got working as an assistant manager at KFC.

People ony really work there for the discount.

Secondly, you risk turning the hobby into a job, and just overloading. Getting too much GW.

Bombot
04-09-2006, 10:47
I’d rather work in a department store (which I did years ago). More girls; less painting; probably looks better on the CV.

Archaon
04-09-2006, 11:06
I never understood the store discount argument

At my workplace (which is a big IT corporation) we too get discounts.. discounts at certain car dealers, on some air lines, in certain stores (clothing for example).
These are things which are really useful in life.

As repeatedly stated the salary at GW is crap and why would you then spend your meagre earnings which has to go to paying rent, other bills, food and clothing on miniatures?

The only way i would do this is if i still lived with my parents and lived off their fridge but if i have to live by myself store discount would be my last thought.

Jedi152
04-09-2006, 11:08
As repeatedly stated the salary at GW is crap and why would you then spend your meagre earnings which has to go to paying rent, other bills, food and clothing on miniatures?
Because people can get very addicted to this hobby.

I'm sure they are people here that would put miniatures above food and clothing.

Darth_Blade
04-09-2006, 12:15
I used to work for GW (Thurrock,Bromley and Croydon) and all this is based on my experience (so could be better/worse for others). I think a job at GW is for two types of people- those who are happy to put up with the crap wages and unprofessional attitudes because they actually want to work their way up the company, and those (like me) who just worked there cos we love the hobby and are doing it for beer money while studying at College or University. There is NO WAY, you can expect to live a normal life (paying bills, having savings etc) if you work full time there.

The managers wages are pants (and you are expected to carry on at home, doing extra work for planning events in store etc-no over time of course) There is also a sort of peer/management pressure for you to spank your money on new releases etc, meaning you end up with boxes and boxes of stuff you never paint (familar to us all as hobbyists but as a GW employee this is taken to the max!)

The whole thing depends to a great extent on your manager. My manager at Bromley was the best, really into the hobby but not 'hyper' and he's now gone a long way in the company. Another guy I worked for was of the 'have a nice day' Burger King boss mentality (you want an hour for lunch?- your sacked!). In a good store, you combine a solid core of veteran customers with a steady influx of new recruits- I often fondly see guys working in GW now, who were screaming kids back 'in my day' <bless>

Each store varies (in my experience). Some managers were very good at putting off parents who tried to use it as a glorified creche, others not so good. A lot of the time you have a great deal of fun, but are sometimes too knackered to have any time for your own hobby. Inevitabley you also get the little brats who look down on you and think they can cheek you. I think a GW staffer has quite an ambigueous status in the hobby world, admired for painting and gaming skills, but looked down on as a loser for working in a place where the wages are so cack(especially older staffers- I have often asked myself why is a 40 year old man working there year after year for that money!?), but we could always deal with annoying kids by banning them from the store or attacking them with range rulers!

Another problem were the gangs of chavs that used to come in and take the ****- 'ha ha you play wiv da toy men innit'- but again we used to throw them out if they became too annoying. All in all, there were ups and downs, but working in GW wasnt for me, mostly because the pay sucked and I had to move on, but I would recommend it for those who fancy a laugh and want some beer money.

Moralein
04-09-2006, 19:12
I worked at the Sutton store many years ago during my summer holidays from Uni. Money wasn't great but I did get around 75% off metal models and 50% off box sets so I must admit most of my pay went on models. I wouldn't recommend it for a career but as stated above it's great for pocket money and cheap models.

generulpoleaxe
04-09-2006, 19:24
get a job in a bank, you will have better pay and get a better deal on mortages etc.
with the current house price situation, it's one of the best carear moves you could make.

Maguni
04-09-2006, 19:41
What if you work there and open an online store with a 30% discount? :evilgrin:

Lord_Dante
04-09-2006, 20:10
A m8 who works there gets me the odd discount. However some stores are very careful about what you buy. E.g. I ask for 200 terminators and the staff member never turns up in store with them, then they want to know where they are. The odd thing you could flog I imagine but not enough for a store. Get a trade account like me instead :D

TCUTTER
05-09-2006, 00:58
:D :D im activly looking for a job at gw, i live in leeds, just got a place at the local college and am 17, i turn 18 soon the local manager has asked if i want a job there when i turn, still i do get ema as well so wages mean very little to me
i can live off a tenner a week and board

TCUTTER
05-09-2006, 00:59
have i broken the rules by posting my age?

Crazy Harborc
05-09-2006, 01:37
GW "might" be a good place to "learn retail sales", to add some info into the next job app. Minimum wage, a little more IF you're very lucky(that's here).

Not a career that pays well. IMHO, an okay place to start. A good way to get lots of goodies well below list prices.

Xisor
05-09-2006, 02:18
I'd do it. I wish I had, but this summer's Starbucks experience was quite fine enough. I don't mind working with Kids, or coming at every person from a "What can I sell you?" perspective. I'm not a fan of capitalism at all, but as I learned in my sixth year at high school doing the 'Young Enterprise' project(I was Financial Director, and later defacto CEO as the original was more than a bit rubbish) that I'd a mean mercenary/pirate streak when it comes to making/saving money!

I also quite like the idea of terrible hours. I've alot of stuff I need to paint, so I could make it *seem* like I'd been buying stuff...

Anyway, suffice to say, after having weighed up the Pros and Cons, I'd still have done it. I'd have preferred a high-pay nightshift cleaner job, but c'est la vie... What's a physics student to do?

Xisor

The Winslow
05-09-2006, 12:14
Working at a GW store is a good experience. If you learn enough, you can some day open your own gaming shop. Then you can have long hours, with crap pay, all the minis you want, and be the boss!

Osbad
05-09-2006, 12:18
I must say it has never attracted me. Apart from the pay being pants, doing what used to be a hobby all day at someone else's direction would kill it for me. Not to mention all the dweebs you'd have to be nice to in order to make a sale...

Nah. I'd rather shoot me testicles off with a shotgun...

Well, I wouldn't, but you catch my drift!

simonr1978
05-09-2006, 12:58
On the whole, I would avoid retail like the plague unless you're willing to put up with pretty crappy hours and low pay for the enjoyment of working with the general public.

I've known of a handfull of people who've tried their hands at making some money out of their hobby and without exception what they've said has been the same, combining your hobby and work is a sure fire way to kill your enthusiasm. That said there are almost certainly exceptions, just none that I've met.

All in all it depends on what you want to do. As a short term job to bring in a few extra quid whilst at uni or college, it's probably not a bad choice and from some of the accounts I've heard of, get a good boss and you'll have a good time.

Long term, I'd give it a miss personally. Unless you're wanting to live out the rest of your life with your parents or you have a well paid and understanding partner the pay is quite simply not likely to be enough to make ends meet supporting yourself independantly. The staff discount may seem attractive, however if you go to a bank for a mortgage or loan they aren't going to be the slightest bit interested in how cheaply you can buy toy soldiers, just how much you have coming in. For what you'll be getting paid that's not going to be a lot (The same is true of any entry level retail job though, unless you're an extremely good salesman and can earn goob tips/commission, but GW do seem to be among the lowest payers).

Try to support yourself independantly and that discount isn't going to mean anything to you since you're unlikely to have any spare cash to spend after paying for basic essentials.

If you think that working for GW the kind of thing that suits you, go for it, but bear in mind that sooner or later you're going to want or need money for other things than the latest flavour of the month army (Mortgage, car, children, holiday, etc) and money seems to be the big weakness in this area.

Lastly there is of course the geek factor when you meet new people already touched on, dress it up however you want you'll very quickly find yourself on the recieving end of a comment like "So basically you play with toy soldiers for a living...?".

Brandir
05-09-2006, 13:17
Not all GW jobs are badly paid retail workers/managers. Some are for badly paid professionals.

A few years ago a position became vacant at GW HQ for my profession. Advertised in our trade magazine GW offered some 8,000 lower than one would normally expect to do such a job and they did not offer a company car.

I must admit I did consider applying for the position and phoned up for more details. The relocation package was OK but the drop in wages and lack of company car was just too big a drop to take. But GW did not have any difficulty filling the position with someone who was prepared to work for less than the industry standard because they were a GW fan.

Bjorn Stormwolf
05-09-2006, 14:27
I worked for GW for four months in 1999 at a UK store on a new fangled graduate trainee manager program. I was expecting to be brought up to speed pretty quickly, i loved the hobby, had a degree and had plenty of experience working with the public. What i got instead was an obsession with targets (especially selling core games) and a manager that resented my being there as i had not 'come up through the ranks'. As a result i got next to no training, was not allowed to paint any of the display mini's (even though I was better than he was) and was set to do tasks i had no idea how to complete. I got so disheartened by the whole experience i quit/got sacked and didn't go near GW for many years. Of course the lure of GW is too great and now i'm back with a shiny new SW army. Now i am a teacher in a secondary school, a career i am glad i chose in the end....

TCUTTER
05-09-2006, 17:43
while we are on the subject of working there, what is the current set up discount wise. i mean for plastics , metals and books? as ive never gotten a clear answer from anyone

Some guy (UK)
05-09-2006, 19:57
I'm sure it was cut down partly, in order to help stop employees taking as much. I think it is something between 25 and 50 percent. Though to be quite honest, I ain't got much of an idea.

Later, Some Guy

ThousandPlateaus
05-09-2006, 20:29
I don't think staff members are at liberty to say, iirc - I've asked a few friends before who work there and always get a jumbled, smoke-and-mirrors answer.

The Ape
05-09-2006, 20:43
A year ago (before the key-timers were made redundant) the discount was plastic and metal "at weight". Never figured out the exact plastic weight price, but metal was &#163;30 per kilo. With plastic, if it was a single sprue kit then you could only get it half price.

Anything in store was 50%, so books, blisters etc.

Forgeworld - 20% off.

Its not that staff arent at liberty to say, its that they dont want to **** the regulars off by going on about it.

With respect to working at GW, I HATED full time but loved key-time (in fact, im hoping to get a weekend job to supplement my trainee-solicitor income in the near future). If you work full-time you will burn out eventually.

Xavier
05-09-2006, 22:23
For a time my long term career goal was to work for GW... which went about as far as a retail job (I was young and frankly, rather stupid) Now I have come to realise if I were to work for GW it would be at head office or certainly in a position of management, I would not work as a random full timer. I have seen what it does to the enjoyment of the hobby, I have seen the kind of **** they have to put up with and frankly over the last 6 months I have had a revelation in exactly what a proper job is and frankly GW retail is not it. I feel the ideal time for me to have worked at a GW was between 18 and 20 when they actually had key timers, now I am a university graduate, so honestly I am setting my sights far higher.

As has been said, It kills your love of the hobby, you work at best a standard 40 hour week and are asked to do everything you could possibly think of, don’t get me wrong there are far worse jobs to be doing, but frankly I have so much respect for people who can do that job day in day out especially when working for arrogant managers who honestly shouldn't be in positions of responsibility.

[/rant]

whitra
05-09-2006, 23:58
As a university grad you certaintly should be looking higher than entry level retail. I don't think there's much glamour in entry level positions in miniature gaming at GW or anywhere else. It's just doesn't demand multiple employees and so they can afford to be even more picky than normal retail (which is pretty cut throat as it is)

I'll leave it to people with more experience to tell you the specifics, but in my experience retail discounts are A) Not very good, and B) require you "earn" them by putting so many months of work in. Miniatures have a long shelf life (as oppose to say, food service, where employee discounts are pretty nice) and they're wary of people who sign up just to buy at discount. I've worked at stores in the past where discounts applied only after so many months, and weren't even an option for seasonal workers.

I'd just warn you to make sure you'd want this job solely because you think you'd like working retail in that kind of environment, not on account of fringe benefits (namely being able to by at discount or getting to paint models).

NakedFisherman
06-09-2006, 00:23
Working at a GW store is a good experience. If you learn enough, you can some day open your own gaming shop. Then you can have long hours, with crap pay, all the minis you want, and be the boss!

The truth.

Crazy Harborc
06-09-2006, 20:44
Been there and did that, without the working for GW first/after/whenever.;) I did my time and wasted my dime, once upon a time, when my children were young.

NOW......where's my senior citizen discount, dag nab it!!:confused:

William Moran
06-09-2006, 23:22
Retail jobs in the UK are for children only. In order to earn a real Adults wage you need to learn a skill that is actually in demand, that means you need to get a trainee job with a proper orginisation that does buisness to buisness trading and uses modern business methods and computer systems. Any Idiot can work a till and say "Can I help you?" that's why retail jobs pay crap, and thats why all staff in shops are kids.

ThousandPlateaus
07-09-2006, 19:00
Retail jobs in the UK are for children only. In order to earn a real Adults wage you need to learn a skill that is actually in demand, that means you need to get a trainee job with a proper orginisation that does buisness to buisness trading and uses modern business methods and computer systems. Any Idiot can work a till and say "Can I help you?" that's why retail jobs pay crap, and thats why all staff in shops are kids.

I'm sorry, but I think that's nonsense.

A few years back, I was working in a retail job (the skills I have being quite specific and not always useful for paying bills with) and every single person I worked with was a graduate, indeed it was company policy to only employ graduates as a certain level of product knowledge and maturity was required.

Retail jobs pay crap because they are easy to fill because of high turnover of staff and exploitative conditions, not because any Idiot can work a till.

Having managed an independent retail outfit for several years in the past, I can also assure you that not all people have the patience, manners, confidence, charisma or decorum to work in retail, especially successfully.

Besides which, many people depend upon retail jobs to fund their meagre existence, and frequently it can be a demanding and stressful job - I'm pretty sure that those people probably don't need patronising on top of all that.

evilbeetles
08-09-2006, 00:22
I work for a GW shop now and I personally do not like it. To start, from painting at the shop all day the last thing I want to do when I get home is to paint my own minis. Next, I have not gamed regularly because on my day off the last place I want to be is the shop. Also when my shift ends I just want to go home instead of game. I did not play one Medusa V game at all this summer :cries: . Finally the district manager that we have is a tool. His e-mails border on "creating a hostile work place" and with all the hammering of Skull Pass I have lost my luster for it on our big week-end in a couple of days.

Now I understand this is just my reaction to working for GW and it just turns out that what I thought would be a dream job is just another crap job for me.

Crazy Harborc
08-09-2006, 01:22
I am not surprised that it can become like working in a candy store where you can munch on candy all day long. After a couple of days, candy isn't good to eat anymore.(Done that too):angel:

Osbad
08-09-2006, 08:45
Now I understand this is just my reaction to working for GW and it just turns out that what I thought would be a dream job is just another crap job for me.

Doing anything day after day because you *have* to and not because you *want* to makes it a chore.

I enjoy painting and playing, but I wouldn't want to do it for 30 hours a week unless I could really pick and choose my subjects. Having to paint up the latest releases, whether they were any good or not (those new Dwarfs for SP stink!!) would make that aspect get rapidly old, and having to play with and organise a bunch of 12 year-olds in games would drive me absolutely insane!

The money would have to be very attractive for me to consider that job. I'd rather be a male nanny - at least I'd get a day off a week! As things stand you:

a) get paid peanuts;
b) often work for a bullying boss;
c) get to ruin the enjoyment of your hobby;
d) are surrounded by screaming children most of the time.

No thank you sirree!

Chiron
08-09-2006, 08:58
a) get paid peanuts;
b) often work for a bullying boss;

yes but thats usual for most people

I think the best think you can do is work there for 3 months enjoying the staff discount to its full then just quit, you'll have made some mates among the vets (hopefully), improved your painting and then left with more GW than you can possibly know what to do with

simonr1978
08-09-2006, 12:59
If that is usual for you, change jobs or employers.

Osbad
08-09-2006, 13:08
If that is usual for you, change jobs or employers.

Can't agree with that sentiment more strongly. My previous job I worked for a bully. It wasn't pleasant and I nearly cracked up. In my current job I was recently promoted and now (although working for a different organisation) I earn more than he did. My revenge is now complete. It can happen if you try, and if you sieze your opportunities!

Crazy Harborc
08-09-2006, 20:05
Most workers start low and have to move on be it a different company and or different job description.

Bottom line...being very happy at your j.o.b. doesn't mean you are making good money. In my work life, I did NOT enjoy my workdays at my highest paying j.o.b.

While you are young and have fewer dependents...look around, move to different jobs, employers, whatever. Decide what will mean more, good money to buy whatever with, happiness at work OR both.

chris_valera
09-09-2006, 03:00
Not all GW jobs are badly paid retail workers/managers. Some are for badly paid professionals.

A few years ago a position became vacant at GW HQ for my profession. Advertised in our trade magazine GW offered some &#163;8,000 lower than one would normally expect to do such a job and they did not offer a company car.

I must admit I did consider applying for the position and phoned up for more details. The relocation package was OK but the drop in wages and lack of company car was just too big a drop to take. But GW did not have any difficulty filling the position with someone who was prepared to work for less than the industry standard because they were a GW fan.

This is pretty par for the course. The wages are pretty low, you have to work there for the discount, or really love the toys.

I've got an old prospectus packet sitting around somehwere, I remember being shocked at how low the pay was at the higher levels.

As an added bonus, they know with the staff discount you'll end up sinking most of your wages back into the company.

--Chris

Gaebriel
09-09-2006, 07:45
So GW was essentially founded by Hobbyists who needed funding for the development of the models they wanted? :p

How high would the in-house vs. out-house ratio of sales be - not in sum, but in quantity of models?

Brandir
09-09-2006, 10:21
.... The wages are pretty low, you have to work there for the discount, or really love the toys. .....

In my profession the discount is meaningless considering the salary scale. It is the 'love of the hobby' which attracts professionals to GW and other gaming companies, and there are lots of them. That old work-life balance thing.

chris_valera
09-09-2006, 14:14
So GW was essentially founded by Hobbyists who needed funding for the development of the models they wanted? :p

How high would the in-house vs. out-house ratio of sales be - not in sum, but in quantity of models?

I jeez I dunno, but at like fifty cents a fig... you do the math. One staffer I know built an all Deathwing army for like thirty bucks...

--Chris

Lightbulb
09-09-2006, 23:57
We are all talking about only the retail side of things, what do you guys think about jobs in other sectors of GW. I don't konw a lot about the other jobs but I know there are I.T. jobs, probably web designers. It is probably hard to get into but htere is also the design aspect of the hobby. What do you guys think?

Killgore
10-09-2006, 00:09
you could be the chap making Fat Bloke his Bacon Butty in bugmans every morning... thou dunno if you get discount if your a warhammer world resturant worker (do they even have a resturant? i know they have a bar...)

Gaebriel
10-09-2006, 04:18
We are all talking about only the retail side of things, what do you guys think about jobs in other sectors of GW. I don't konw a lot about the other jobs but I know there are I.T. jobs, probably web designers. It is probably hard to get into but htere is also the design aspect of the hobby. What do you guys think?
As been said, those are incredibly underpaid for their respective branch - I applied for jobs in both marketing as in IT at GW HQ Germany over the years, and turned them down because of low payment or was turned down because of too high payment expectations.

Ethereal
10-09-2006, 04:32
yeh, most gw work is under-paid, you do it out of love for the hobby. Most of the higher up jobs pay well but these are already established by well known people like Allessio, eavy metal and the other boyz up da' top. I plan to get a part time there when im 15, cause they pay underage really well ive heard, cause its not just monkey work...

The Ape
10-09-2006, 08:23
The model painters at Head Office do NOT get paid very well. They are almost literally chucked into a room and are expected to churn out high quality models on a very tight schedule.

And Ethereal - you have to be 18 to work at GW...

Ethereal
10-09-2006, 11:44
no you dont ok? i was just in there today and they said if youre fifteen, know all the rules systems, can paint ok and are ok with people you can work there. they said if i want a job there i should frequent the store and play LOTR(god forbid...)

Brandir
10-09-2006, 11:59
Oh yes you do!

EMPLOYMENT AT GAMES WORKSHOP
1. How old do you have to be to work for Games Workshop?
Due to insurance reasons, unfortunately we only employ people over the age of 18, but please continue with your interest in our hobby and reapply just before your 18th birthday.

quite taken from:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/careers/faq/1/

chris_valera
10-09-2006, 20:16
Oh yes you do!

EMPLOYMENT AT GAMES WORKSHOP
1. How old do you have to be to work for Games Workshop?
Due to insurance reasons, unfortunately we only employ people over the age of 18, but please continue with your interest in our hobby and reapply just before your 18th birthday.

quite taken from:

http://uk.games-workshop.com/careers/faq/1/

Keep in mind, it may vary from country to country, sometimes you're able to work if you can provide documentation, or it's legal as long as the store doesn't work you too many hours to comply with child labor laws.

FWIW I know a GW staffer who is, in fact, under eighteen. Shock and horror!

--Chris

Some guy (UK)
10-09-2006, 20:37
But, if he is in England, he'll be lucky to fetch 3 an hour. But then again that link was from the UK site, so I guess therre won't be much there in the way of work.

Later, Some Guy

Brandir
10-09-2006, 21:07
The minium wage in the UK is:

5.05 for those over 21.
4.25 for those aged 18 - 21.
3.00 for those aged 16 - 17.

From October the rates will be 5.35, 4.45 and 3.30.

The Ape
10-09-2006, 22:12
no you dont ok? i was just in there today and they said if youre fifteen...

We talking about the UK? Then you have to be 18+.

As already pointed out, its an insurance thing and is one of the reasons they never have any work-experience kids in the store.

Its also to do with some of other legal aspects in respect of sale of glues and knives (the anti-social behaviour act or some such), and also in respect of child protection rules - all staff have to pass a criminal record bureau check as they will be supervising children.

Jim
13-09-2006, 15:52
I worked for 3 years for GW as a key timer (weekends and a few odd hours during the week) while I was at University...it paid for beer money, I got truck loads of toy soldiers for hardly any money, worked with some fantastic guys, gained 'life experience' (sounds a bit *****, but its true) and had a bloody good laugh...

Having said that I would NEVER consider going back there now...I couldn't live off the meagre wages, the stinky kids in summer would drive me to suicide and if you get the wrong manager your (short) time there will be hellish...

Cheers!

Darth_Blade
13-09-2006, 16:04
Having said that I would NEVER consider going back there now...I couldn't live off the meagre wages, the stinky kids in summer would drive me to suicide and if you get the wrong manager your (short) time there will be hellish...

Cheers!

lol:) I remember the stinky kids too- that and the complete abscence of any air conditioning meant that the fans were always on full power in the summer months!

Maynard
14-09-2006, 19:14
OK, the pros and con's as I see them:

Pro's:

Staff discount: Buying stuff at weight is the easy way to make massive armies fast.
Skill levels improve: spending hours and hours building, painting and converting models will increase your skill levels close to awesome levels
More time in bed: Being a redshirt means you only work 6 hours a day during the week, meaning you can go out and get lashed on a night and you'll have plenty of time to watch Jeremy Kyle and recover from the resulting hangover.

Con's:

The wages: are crap to be brutally honest. I make more for currently driving a combine harvester per hour (5.50 p/h) than these guys do. Even working every hour in the GW week (5x6 week days +14 for weekends +5 for sunday and thursday nights) means a pretax earning of around 257. Deduct the 23% tax rate and you get an average wage of 198. Not really a ton of cash, especially if you have a mortgage and kids.
The constant painting: If you spend all your working time doing something, the last thing you probably want to do when you come home is do more of it.
What do you tell girls: When she asks "so, what do you do for a living?", you ineviatably end up painting it either which way aside from saying "I sell plastic toy soldiers"
GW managers: Aren't really that professional. This would be a con for me as I am used to working in a very professional environment.
Beginners days: Dealing with a load of screaming kids on a Sunday, when I could be in bed watching Buffy is a definte no-no.

Well tried it and love it.

The staff I work with are the best I've ever worked with and the manager definitely has his head screwed on.

It doesn't bring the hobby down for me, if anything I love it more each day.

As for the pay, yeah it's not the best but I do what I love with people I respect.

And what I tell my girlfriend is "I work in the best dam hobby in the world", whatever chicks laugh at that I simply say:
"Tell your jock boyfriend I said hi and good luck beng a waitress."

The Ape
14-09-2006, 21:17
Whatever floats your boat Maynard - glad you enjoy it! How long have you been doing it for?

From my experience, the enthusiasm tends to wear off after about 9-12 months, but if you have been doing it for longer and you still love it, then kudos to you.

Maynard
15-09-2006, 14:36
Whatever floats your boat Maynard - glad you enjoy it! How long have you been doing it for?

From my experience, the enthusiasm tends to wear off after about 9-12 months, but if you have been doing it for longer and you still love it, then kudos to you.

I'm at that stage where it doesn't seem like my enthusiasm could ever leave but I'll just take it day by day. The right staff really do help though a lot.

Brandir
15-09-2006, 15:02
..... The right staff really do help though a lot.

That is true for any workplace.

inq.serge
15-09-2006, 18:10
I would want to work for GW, but only in FW or Citadel Miniaures, Or own GW owned model company.

Maynard
15-09-2006, 19:35
That is true for any workplace.

True but GW is a workplace where you're constantly around and talking to the staff whereas I've found other workplaces if you have a bad staff member you can just kind of avoid them. In GW you really have to get along with one another, team work is important.