PDA

View Full Version : Forge World Purchase - first time buyer

whiteshields1830
03-09-2006, 07:06
:DOk, so this will be the first ever thing i buy from Forge world, and i cant decide what to paint. (these are all under 65 pounds - which is my limit)

Now here are my final decisions for each race (note its not the race im concerned about, but the 'coolness' factor of it):

Tau: Knarloc Riders

IG Navy: Vulture

Eldar: Phoenix OR Nightwing, i cant decide :( (i consider nightwing for the cooler factor, but its much smaller than the phoenix and theyre both the same price)

Orks: Ork Squiggoth (because it looks hardcore)

tyranids: Malanthrope (cheapest out of my list, but coolness factor is the lowest for him) -
Side note: I like the scythed Heriodule, but too expensive for me (85 POUNDS!!!) unless some ones willing to sell their heriodule for 65 pounds:p ?

Now which would you choose (i will base my purchase on the coolness factors of whats on my list - and within my budget;) )

Isambard
03-09-2006, 07:21
The Nightwing, as it is just so gorgeous.

Chaos and Evil
03-09-2006, 09:08
Malenthrope is cheap, and IMHO also very cool.

I have one. :)

HiveFleetEzekial
03-09-2006, 09:24
take it this is just for a "wtf i want one" thing?

otherwise.. get something that;ll fit the army you play.

unless you don't play and it's purely a painting hobby for you.

my choice.. none of the ones there. just to have and paint, i'd love a scorpion mk2 tank for eldar! (or tha 40k scale manat whenever they finish it)

lord_blackfang
03-09-2006, 09:24
What do you mean the Malenthrope has the lowest coolness factor? :eyebrows: It's an amazingly detailed model with interesting rules and fluff.

whiteshields1830
03-09-2006, 10:03
@HiveFleetEzekial: well it is sorta....but my budget is relatively low (compared to the stuff forgeworld sells). Ive just heard so much about them and how good their sculpts are and willing to give them a go as this item i will buy will be very long term (like 1 year long). This is because i have rarely any chance to paint, and when i do i dont want to paint similar miniatures everytime (steel legion).

So yes, you can say its more like "what do i want to buy for a long term painting but also as a display peice and will take relatively long to paint - ie. 1 year"

@Lord_blackfang: Well i dont know...the malanthrope is cool i guess, but compared to what else the forgeworld nids have its relatively 'uncool' (ie. hive tyrant, heriodule, flying rippers etc).

Escaflowne_Z
03-09-2006, 10:04
Squiggoth. Because they're great, and not as many people will have them.

devolutionary
03-09-2006, 10:20
Dude, the malanthrope has PEOPLE in his GUT! You can see the hands and stuff. Get one of them. They're so much sweeter than the other options. Really, the only thing that comes close to it is the Chaos Mammoth or Titans :D

Sandlemad
03-09-2006, 10:27
The knarloc cavalry. Best looking models in the FW catalogue, IMO. They look cunning, they look savage, they look powerful. They are more krooty than both the hounds and the krootox, they just fit with the kroot ethic so perfectly it almost brings a tear to my eye.:cries: :)
So, in conclusion, they're like dinosaurs but then some.

Bregalad
03-09-2006, 11:28
It is difficult to vote for this. All are different armies with different styles. Some are creatures, some vehicles, that required completely different paint jobs.

I voted for Knarlocs because of personal taste and because there are some great painting and modelling opportunities available (see attached pics). But Knarlocs are smaller than the vehicles, so a painted vulture or Phoenix may look more impressive. Your decision.

The knarloc cavalry. Best looking models in the FW catalogue, IMO.

Then vote for them ;)

Steel_Legion
03-09-2006, 12:31
i saw squiggoth because of the coolness factor, the vulture i like, mostly because its a flyer, but i think it looks quite ugly and like a wanna-be valkry

RampagingRavener
03-09-2006, 12:55
Malanthrope for sure. Very nicely detailed model, easy to assemble, and looks gorgeous when painted up. Plus interesting rules and fluff, and its not that expensive-so you can get a feel for working with resin without worrying about mucking up a 100 or so model.

Sandlemad
03-09-2006, 18:40
Then vote for them ;)

Gloops.:p But as Bregalad has shown, while they may not be as imposing as the bigger stuff, they can easily be made as impressive through innovative use of terrain or as a removable part of a diorama.

Dais
03-09-2006, 18:58
if you really want the scythed critter then save up a little more and just get that. personally, id go for the trygon.
out of the rest up there, i would say one of the eldar flyers if you have a hole burning in your wallet.

MrInsomniac
03-09-2006, 19:00
I'd go for the malanthrope personally. But if you really want the scythed heirodule, why don't you just spend a little longer saving up? You'll feel all the better for getting something you really want for waiting (and paying) that little bit extra.

Puffin Magician
04-09-2006, 00:42
Phoenix: Sleek. Deadly.

Just as curvaceous as a professional supermodel and twice the attitude. And, should you use it in a game, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with the amount of death it can deal out. Shuriken Cannons, Bright Lances, Gatling Missile Launchers!

insectum7
04-09-2006, 00:53
Is that the big squiggoth or the little one, the little one is ugly, but I've painted 2 ofthe big ones and theat is an impressive model. If the squiggoth is the little one, then I would say the Malanthrope because it looks real insidious.

The flyers I'm not so big on untill they get to be the bigger models.

Scratch that, I am really fond of the Arvus Lighter. Simple design but well executed, doesn't take up alot of space on the table and makes a great objective or prop for a story. I think it implies infrastructure or background more than most of the other FW models. If you decided to get something that was imperial, I would skip the Vulture and get the Arvus Lighter or the Valkrye, the Arvus lighter is within your proposed budget.

VetSgtNamaan
04-09-2006, 01:27
Well I intend to get the Gargantuan Squiggoth as an Xmas present to myself ;) But my first forgeworld purchase was actually a preheresy landraider with dark angel doors.

whiteshields1830
04-09-2006, 01:34
Is that the big squiggoth or the little one, the little one is ugly, but I've painted 2 ofthe big ones and theat is an impressive model. If the squiggoth is the little one, then I would say the Malanthrope because it looks real insidious.

Yea, its the smaller squiggoth, Im not willing to give up that much 'dough' to a company im purchasing for the first time. :p

Again, its a vote for the looks and details rather than gameplay ability... (im not going to use them in games)

insectum7
04-09-2006, 03:42
Then take the Malanthrope, it's more affordable than most of the others, and the model conveys very well that it's about the last thing I'd want to run into in a dark alley.

onnotangu
04-09-2006, 08:00
ebay+squiggoth