PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: a small elite army, but what?

ashc
03-09-2006, 14:35
Title says it all i suppose. i'm looking at starting up a new army but i'm on a bit of a budget going back to uni and so i thought i would look at small, compact 'elite' armies for fantasy; what would people suggest?

Also, I may well be getting involved with a 'Tale of X Gamers' for the planned fantasy webzine, so what army would you like to be seen made?

cheers guys,

Ash

Voltaire
03-09-2006, 14:39
I would go with the Tomb Kings.
Most of the TK stuff is plastic and converting Tomb Guard shouldn't be too hard to convert with the right bits.

Banesword
03-09-2006, 15:06
Maybe a Chaos Beast all Minotaur army led by a Doombull.

This could use alternative models(the new plastic ogres) as the current metal minotaurs are kinda old. It will probably also be a bit more competitive then the Ogre Kingdoms list.

This kind of army would have a couple of units of minotaurs as core, and some other assorted chaos units(the flexibility can be both a blessing an a curse here.).

ashc
03-09-2006, 15:11
@Voltaire; thanks for the suggestion but i already have a good friend who has just completed a TK army, so thats that one gone!

@Banesword; Sounds an interesting idea and its something i was playing with about a year ago (nurgle minotaur army to be precise). I think it would end up working out pretty expensive though when it comes to those minotaurs, and thats one of the factors thats controlling my choices (its why im looking at an 'elite' army.)

Ash

Voltaire
03-09-2006, 15:13
Erm, do any of your friends play Bretonnia?

ashc
03-09-2006, 15:16
No, they don't; are you thinking an all-knight force?

Ash

zak
03-09-2006, 15:17
Just to add a comment from one of the last replies. Are you going to play at a GW store, or with a private gaming group. If your in a group then you can getv some non-GW minotaurs, which are far cheaper. Oh, and look better.

ashc
03-09-2006, 15:19
Just to add a comment from one of the last replies. Are you going to play at a GW store, or with a private gaming group. If your in a group then you can getv some non-GW minotaurs, which are far cheaper. Oh, and look better.

I will be playing both, so it needs to be 'gw legal' really. :rolleyes:

Ash

Stouty
03-09-2006, 15:25
Brettonians are an option, dwarfs can be very elitist, high elves all cavalry is an option, vampire counts all cavalry is an elite and cheap option (especially if you convert the knights).

TheWarSmith
03-09-2006, 15:26
Bretonnians can be VERY cheap if you're playing all knights. You can do the whole thing in plastic(even characters) with conversions. It's actually what I'm doing right now. You can do this army for under $200, which in relative terms is cheap.

The other small elite force is mortal chaos. Not sure why people are saying beastmen, as they're average cost. Mortal chaos are very cost effective in terms of $:points ratios.

Lizardmen with primarily saurus can be a very cheap army too.

ashc
03-09-2006, 15:36
Well, Looking through the options I would say it looks like doing some kind of all-cavalry (so that could be brets, empire, high elves et al) or something that involves a number of 'monsters' (all minotaurs, ogre kingdoms?). Plus any armies that have especially high-costing troops (chaos, wood elves?).

Ash

TheWarSmith
03-09-2006, 15:57
minotaur armies are NOT cheap.

Bretonnian:
$35=216 point knights of the realm unit(more if converting into questing/grail)
$35=195 pegasus knight unit

Chaos
$35=151 beast herd
$45=120 point+markequipment 3 man minotaur unit
$35=180 point+mark+equipment(can easily be 250) chaos warrior(chosen) unit

High elf
$35=200 some point list

So that should give you some cost comparison analysis. Minotaurs come up at the bottom, chaos mortals/bretonnians at the top. Brets would really be your best bet, as you have SOOO many plastic options with them.

wood elves can be almost all plastic as well, with little conversion. Base the army around glade guard, glade riders, and dryads and it's a pretty solid force. Toss in some waywatchers/wardancers/treeman/spellsingers and you're on your way.

Gorknoth
03-09-2006, 16:17
Ogres can be really cheap if you convert bulls into bruisers, butchers etc.

Don't buy gnobbo boxes thoug they costs about 20$, and you get 40points...
Buy them in batallion boxes instead.

Lordsaradain
03-09-2006, 16:18
Vampire counts:

(Nearly)Everything can be made from plastic, wolfriders=direwolves, empire bretonnian knights=black knights, ghouls=zombies(you just need to combine the right parts) bretonnian men-at-arms=grave guard, spirit hosts=can be made from anything, militia, dwarves, greenskins whatever...
You can even make plastic necromancers, wraiths or wights should you wish.

Chaos:

Chaos knights can be converted from their Empire counterparts with Chaos Warrior helmets and sheilds. Go for an all Cav mortal chaos army. Warhounds can be made from wolf riders, just lose the riders...

Here's a link to all my cheap conversions:
http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?p=511858#511858

ExquisiteEvil
03-09-2006, 16:37
Simple - Ogre Kingdoms

DeathlessDraich
03-09-2006, 18:19
Dragon armies - High Elf especially - 2 chariots 2 X 6 cavalry, Dragon, lord and 2 mages, 20 spearmen, 1 elite infantry maybe and 4 bolt throwers.
about 50 models

Or The monster DE army
Dragon + characters. Beasmaster on Manticore, Hydra, 2 Bolt throwers, 20 Spearmen and 10 crossbowmen - <40 models

If you're considering reducing costs, try ebay.

IkuTurso
03-09-2006, 21:47
wood elves?
and ogre kingdom armies look great on tabletop

Voltaire
03-09-2006, 23:40
I think he has decided on Ogre Kingdoms. :)

Cpt. Drill
03-09-2006, 23:44
Brets or woodies...

I suggest wood elves because they can play very tactically!

Not ogres.. they arnt elite.... and you might want alot of gnoblars!

Cap'n Umgrotz
04-09-2006, 00:31
Chaos warriors, all saurus lizards, minotaurs if you converted them from ogre bulls, possibly orcs and goblins if you get the old boxed set and then the new one...though maybe not.(My Orc and Goblin army is built that way and has cost me very little) All cavalry orcs and gobbos is an option if you convert the boar boys out of plastic boys...
Lot of options really! Give us a bell when you pick one!

beerdrinker
04-09-2006, 06:41
Go wood elves. All you need is the battalion box and a couple of characters and you would have over 1000pts.

asparagus
04-09-2006, 08:32
... and what about Tzeentch (the "Flying Circus")?

ashc
05-09-2006, 10:04
well i have just put a 2000pts OK list together here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=921967#post921967).

Another list Im considering is a High Elf cavalry list, although i dont really know what im looking at there.

Ash