PDA

View Full Version : Regiment sets

Elannion
03-09-2006, 15:59
Ok don't shoot me i know you hate these threads. I was looking on the online store at the new dwarfs, something caught my eye, it was the price tag, when did they go up to 18? sorry i just can't remember. This is rediculous to me thats nearly twice what it was when i started the hobby with alot worse content in the actual box compared to what it was. I was just getting back into this game, i was thinking of starting ogres and gobbos armys, aswell as expanding my dwarfs and tomb kings up to scratch and my other armys, but i really am not going to pay that much, i mean i don't have that amount of money really (and i'm not really that badly off most of my friends say i'm a lil rich kid) especially not for what im getting out of it and then all the extras i have to buy to make it work (glue, varnish, paint, undercoat). I mean seriously i would much rather spend 20 on a game for my DS and i would get a hell of alot more out of it, this price really is stupid its not really even in line with other products on the market.

Ok please don't go overboard on the abuse, i know most of the people on this board are either new to the hobby and so don't remember when they were much cheaper and others are hobbiest who have kept on going through all the price hikes, and so probably won't agree with this opinion.

Lordsaradain
03-09-2006, 16:08
When I began the hobby a plastic boxed set was £12.

Good ol' times...

TheWarSmith
03-09-2006, 16:08
They were $20 when is started in 99/2000.

lord_blackfang
03-09-2006, 16:20
This is rediculous to me thats nearly twice what it was when i started the hobby with alot worse content in the actual box compared to what it was.

Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

When I got into this hobby, for half the money I pay now I could get a box of these: http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x4/c93507-02.htm

There were also fewer per box.

pinball wizard
03-09-2006, 16:24
absolutly gw is going down the pan.........slowly, from wot i understand share prices have been steadily decreasing, i feel sorry for the newbies

TheWarSmith
03-09-2006, 16:59
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=GAW.L&t=5y

That's yahoo finance reports on GW. The chart defaults to only show the day. Click 1 yr, 5yr, etc. As you can see, their stock price fluctuates greatly and does not show any overall long term trends.

I am interested to know why GW stock has tanked since november, only to have an AMAZING rebound in July. My suspicion would Medusa V, but it's probably a host of other economic issues.

GW stock looks like a CRAZY speculative stock.

DeathMasterSnikch
03-09-2006, 17:42
When I began the hobby a plastic boxed set was £12.

Good ol' times...

At one point they were £10 if I'm not mistaken.

Good old crab-rats...miss the poor things. Only 10 left in my army now :cries:

Edit: WD 230, 20 clanrats £10...50p per, thats almost as good a value as crab-rats.

Z-chan
03-09-2006, 18:12
Ah, back then they were $25 when I started circa 02.
But well, nowadays i get them at $28, so no big deal at once a month...

Still... Not a cheap hobby. Then again, papercraft was my cheapest hobby.
The higher price makes me paint my minis better anyway.

EvC
03-09-2006, 19:40
When I started twas £5 for 12 Skeletons. Now it's £18 for 20... though you'd have to pay another £4 for metal command with the old price, so really it's £9 for 15 skeletons, or £12 for the full 20. That means in the 10 years inbetween the price has risen by a total of 50%; while the actual models have much greater variety these days, look more solid and have better options for putting them together.

Although I have stopped buying regiment sets, and I love to complain, I can't really say that a 50% increase in more than 10 years for higher-quality models is too bad... especially when you consider that 20 zombies back in the day would've costed more the nthan they do now.

Elannion
04-09-2006, 18:18
Pull the other one, it's got bells on.

When I got into this hobby, for half the money I pay now I could get a box of these: http://www.solegends.com/citcat9x4/c93507-02.htm

Yes those sets were quite bad but then they got better. originally at 10 with 20 models in each whatever race, multi part, with a movement tray, sometimes extra bases for 5 models, sometimes transfers and stickers with lots of spare bits. Now they only have very few extra and less models none of the other stuff and are moving back toward a more single part approach, which isn't helpful generally and awful for converting.

So yes they were bad then they got good and now they are getting worse.