PDA

View Full Version : Southlands.. Does it work?

Juhaaha
03-09-2006, 17:51
Hello.

Do you guys have any experiences about all Skink army aka southland army?

Does it work?

ardude
04-09-2006, 10:49
no doesn't work.
skinks ranked up jsut suck.

the only thing of the southlands where you can do somehting with arethe horned one riders.
with a amrk of sotek both the riders and the horned ones gain 1 attack.
1 of the ebst fast caf in the game

ZomboCom
04-09-2006, 11:24
Yes it does work fine, but don't bother with the skink cohorts. Shortbows on skinks are devastating however.

ardude
04-09-2006, 15:23
what zombocom sayd was pritty mutch what I meant (didn't ahd mutch time).
the cohorts are really crappy.
so if your going with an only skink army it can work.
personally I alwais want saurus warriors so I don't like the list.
but the horned ones are awsome!

Frankly
08-09-2006, 09:35
Southlands works really, really well

You can construct an armylist thats strong in all its phases in a turn(movement, shooting, magic and combat), while it can negate its opponants turn pretty successfully.

In 7th Southlands will be toned down due to the new magic power dice pool rules, magic spell selection and skirmish rules, but in 6th they were pretty beardy.

ardude
08-09-2006, 16:47
southlands won't work much different then the normal lizardmen.
I HATE only skink army,s and that's the only real way they are good.

so to my opinion they suck

Frankly
08-09-2006, 23:02
so to my opinion they suck

How old are you?

ardude
09-09-2006, 08:10
14, why does that matter?

Wargamejunkie
09-09-2006, 09:47
I think he is talking about your use of grammer and speach/typing patterns.

Frankly
09-09-2006, 12:00
Do you guys have any experiences about all Skink army aka southland army?

Does it work?

The poster was asking if Southlands and?or all skinks armies work, which the do .... really, really well.

Because you don't like all skink armies doesn't mean the don't work and generally "suck" as an armylist. Thats an opinion on personal taste, not on tactical know how.

Speed Freek
09-09-2006, 12:01
I've played a Southlands army a few times and did very well with it.

I had four large groups of shortbow armed skinks (from the box set two editions ago), a Slann Mage Priest as the general and battle standard bearer and a couple units of Kroxigor and one of terradons.

I had the Slann on his own with the magic item that gives him a 2+ save against missles. The Slann was very effective with Magic dropping down lightning on various units (this was with the old Heaven's lore that did not require line of sight).

The shortbow armed skinks were deadly with a very high number of poison shots. If they fled, they would regroup once they got within range of the Slann's leadership.

I did not use the skink cohorts at all.

Once I did play against a Southlands army that used cohorts but these were only used as sacrificial units to entice a charge so that the unit could be counter charged in the flank by Kroxigors. Pretty much a one trick pony.

andy10k
09-09-2006, 13:02
I think he is talking about your use of grammer and speach/typing patterns.

Grammar*

If we are being picky :P

Wargamejunkie
09-09-2006, 15:30
Ouch, well you are correct about the spelling. Not that I normally care, just as long as its not leet speak.

But in my own defence I never said my grammar was perfect, but that his grammar was the reason why he was asked his age.

Spyral
09-09-2006, 19:20
this is warhammer not grammar hammer..

with new magic nerf WFB sl can be good as there is less chance of spells abusing you.

in 2000 points just take a jaguar saurus of doom or a slann 2 skink shamen and lots of skink skirmishers. add couple units krox chams and terradons and take 6 sallieswhich in 7th ed isnt cheesy anymore and you are sorted.

Latro
09-09-2006, 19:38

Very true ... changing to commenting on someone's grammar usually indicates at having a lack of real points to make (at least that's what I always think of it).

AAAAAAAAAAAaaanyway ...

Using the Southlands list to create a skirmishing Skink Horde makes it just the same as the regular list (and a pretty annoying and boring army at that). Using it's Southlands-only units however turns it into something completely different and quite challenging to use ... which means I will probably try it someday myself. :D

TKitch
10-09-2006, 03:38
Maldraugedhen wrote:
One other thing: this webpage you're reading? It's called a forum. You know the advantage this thing has over AIM or game chats? You can take your time composing responses and writing about topics. You know what you show when you rush through using AIMspeak like that? You show that you don't care enough about the topic to take another 15 seconds to type out full words. One excuse would be you're rushed / feeling lazy. Sorry, but if you're on the forum in the first place, you have time to kill. If you type in AIMspeak about something you claim to feel emotionally about, you aren't only ******** ON us, you're ******** yourself.

Elannion
10-09-2006, 13:23
All skink armys are devastating whatever list they are composed with, they are however eternally hated by opponents for being borings and quite beardy and often can be quite dull to play themselves.

You can construct an armylist thats strong in all its phases in a turn(movement, shooting, magic and combat)

I would like to know how they are good in combat and magic? essentially they are pretty good in magic but having to use heavens for all their spells puts them at a disadvantage (especially with low level wizards) and comparitvely to the slann (that they can't get) they are still not as goodnand more expensive. Combat i cannot see how they are good in the slightest since they lack any ranked infantry really or small cheap combat units (since all the combat units are bassically ogre type units) and the majority of the army will run off easily.

It can be a powerful list but just be aware of that most of the new units are overcosted and the fact that in comparison to the lustria list there really are very very few advantages and alot of disadvantages.

andy10k
10-09-2006, 15:38

with new magic nerf WFB sl can be good as there is less chance of spells abusing you.

in 2000 points just take a jaguar saurus of doom or a slann 2 skink shamen and lots of skink skirmishers. add couple units krox chams and terradons and take 6 sallieswhich in 7th ed isnt cheesy anymore and you are sorted.

Nah just you were picking on someone young for his mistakes so i thought i would jump in and defend him lol.

ardude
10-09-2006, 17:16
@ Frankly if I would have an dark elf army.
and then I use a special army who says I can't use any of my normal combat units. then I think that amy sucks even if they give my dark elves long bows or something.
It's not that they don't work but there is only 1 way to play them, and they are not really better then normal lizardmen in that way

Juhaaha
10-09-2006, 18:43
and what about 2k games? do you use Slann or 5 skink charracters?

i was thinking about Slann or 1skink hero with stega helm and 4 skink shamen.
Which one would work better?

andy10k
10-09-2006, 18:54
Slann, amazing caster, unstoppable in my eyes. I play normal lizardmen, and at 2k i have a 2nd gen slann in a unit of saurus, this unit is uber hard, practically impossible to remove from the board.

I dont think i could play a lizardmen army without some saurus and scar vet hero's, i might try out the southlands list but i dont think ill bother buying loads of skinks and skink hero's just for a test game that i can probably predict i wont like.

In the new rules as probably said before, skirmishes lose one of their advantages, and can now be march blocked, so hiding around units and setting traps is a little harder, but still managable.

Whatever you do, in 2k take 6 salamanders!! These guys are one of the most annoying units your opponent can fight lol.

Frankly
11-09-2006, 10:39
@ Frankly if I would have an dark elf army.
and then I use a special army who says I can't use any of my normal combat units. then I think that amy sucks even if they give my dark elves long bows or something.
It's not that they don't work but there is only 1 way to play them, and they are not really better then normal lizardmen in that way

I totally don't understand the first part of this.

And I totally disagree with the second part.

Although the main theme of the army of skirmish(, well actually its skinks), you can make heavy shooting, or HIGHLY mobile(3 units of terradons and flying characters), rank and file armylists, fear causing army armylists, total scouting armylists or very hitty armylists.

My favorite is a heavy hitty List I use.

Veteran.

Scroll caddie

Lots of Skink units

3 units of Kroxigors

Terradons

2 units of Horned one Riders wiht B.Sotek(fear causing fast cavalry:cheese: ).

This list plays completely different than of an all scouting list or a rank and file armylist.

And no-one is debating which army is better(normal L.M. or S.Lands), that wasn't the question put forth, the question was if Southlands can work .. and they can.

Frankly
11-09-2006, 11:03
I would like to know how they are good in combat and magic?

Skink priests x 5 = alot of re-roll through second sign.

Skinks, swarms.

3 x Kroxigors
3 x kroxigors
3 x kroxigors
3 x kroxigors

Salamanders

Basically you have alot of re-rollable str7 hits hiding behind about 100 skinks made into shielding units. Heavens isn't a big damage dealing magic phase, but it is a really, really good supporting lore, combine it with a good heavy hitting unit and it works really well.

It's a list that can sit back and deal damage at range, fleeing from trouble and then assault depleted enemy units. So strong mobile movement phase, strong magic and shooting and can belt out damage in the combat phase.

You can have other elements that hit really hard in the army as well, S.Veteran, Stegadons, terradons, even jungle swarms can be brutal against non-armoured opponants(gaints minotaurs etc, etc).

Sorry for the double post fella's.

Latro
11-09-2006, 11:58
Skink priests x 5 = alot of re-roll through second sign.

Oh dear, they haven't told you yet? Well, there's this thing called the 7th edition and Heavens Magic just quite work as it used to ... ;)

Though the new number 1 Heavens Spell also gives re-rolls (though not as flexible) so not all is lost!

(PS This was of course totally tongue-in-cheek)

:angel:

andy10k
11-09-2006, 18:17
And no-one is debating which army is better(normal L.M. or S.Lands), that wasn't the question put forth, the question was if Southlands can work .. and they can.

Yes but as a result of it being a "discussion" rather than a just straight "yes it can" we ended in comparisons between different lizardmen lists. Always nice to hear other peoples views on the comparison of 1 army to another ^^

Also yes, as said above the heavens lore has been changed and the abuse of the mass re-rolls spell cant be used :( not that it ever was abused, but the idea you are using to get lots of re-rolls wont be as effective (though i do find it a nice idea :P). The army with lots of krox in is queit interesting, may be worth trying out.

Frankly
12-09-2006, 06:51
... but the idea you are using to get lots of re-rolls wont be as effective (though i do find it a nice idea :P). The army with lots of krox in is queit interesting, may be worth trying out.

I don't understand the first part of this statement?

It's actually an amrylist I play with for along time, its was very effective. The down full of Kroxigors is that they're WS3, 4-6 re-rolls saw that they could hit more than 50% of the time in critical combats, so basically the re-rolls would win combat for me.

If your saying it won't work in 7th Ed, then I agree, but I'm not worried, I think there are better and more enjoyable ways of running skinks lists than magic heavy.

The Kroxigor and Salamander heavy armylist was partly a re-action to the all Cavarly armylists heavy environment that the tournament scene in my area was turning into. And partly because I loved the idea of skinks and kroxigors running around together and causing trouble without saurus getting in the way.

@Latro; yeah alot will change for Southlands in 7th Ed.

Watered down mobility for skirmishers.
The targeting of characters
Watered down Lore of Heavens.
Flee re-actions

The rules have watered down the army abit, but still the armybook allows your to run the basic's for making solid mobile armylists, postly having access to very cheep and cost effective skirmish(skinks, salamanders, swarms, terradons). I still think they'll be a solid army choice in 7th Ed(I hope so, I have 220 skinks:) ).

andy10k
12-09-2006, 08:53
Sorry i didn't make myself clear on that, it's because in 7th edition the first spell in lore of heavens is potent far, not second sign.

Frankly
12-09-2006, 10:42
Sweet as, I have only a little idea of what the lores looks like in 7th, I've been playing rugby for the last few months so haven't looked at the 7th Ed rules in detail.

It'll be interesting to see how a Southlands list runs if it goes magic heavy in 7th for sure.