PDA

View Full Version : What's YOUR Favorite Guard Regiment?

UnRiggable
03-09-2006, 21:41
So after scanning the Death Korps thread I thought: What's the most popular one here? So the options are: Cadians, Catachans, Death Korps, Steel Legion, Elysians, Tallarn Desert Raiders, and Mordians.

xibo
03-09-2006, 21:45
Valhalla. Voted Other one.

Anvils Hammer
03-09-2006, 21:49
Ithica 14th "silver shields"

but im gessing you mean regiments that exist officially... so steel legion for me.

ThousandPlateaus
03-09-2006, 22:01
Probably same as here: ("http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11960&highlight=favourite+imperial+guard)

Snakebite
03-09-2006, 22:20
Vostroyans.

UnRiggable
03-09-2006, 22:23
Haha forgot to add Vostroyans...

Gen.Steiner
03-09-2006, 22:24
Of the listed?

Tallarn Desert Raiders.

Of all the ranges produced?

Valhallan models.

Some guy (UK)
03-09-2006, 22:27
Most likely Cadians- with FW upgrades.
But then, the Death Korps of Krieg are probably my favourite at the moment- stunning models.

Later, Some Guy

Gen.Steiner
03-09-2006, 22:31
Just for general interest:

Imperial Guard Ranges Produced by Games Workshop, in No Particular Order:

Cadians (2nd Edition)
Cadians (current)
Valhallans
Tallarns
Mordians
Praetorians
Vostroyans
Armageddon Steel Legion
Catachans (2nd Edition metal)
Catachans (current)
Tanith
'Codex Grey' Imperial Army
Attilans (yes, as you could run Rough Rider armies in 2nd Ed, so nyah)

Imperial Guard Ranges Produced by Forgeworld, in No Particular Order:

Elysians
Death Korps of Kreig
Tallarns
Cadians

And not forgetting, of course,

The Armour! :chrome:

I make that, including the armoured company and Attillans, 16 seperate, distinct, ranges of Imperial Guard troops. Nice, eh? :D

bob syko
03-09-2006, 22:34
Vostroyans for me, shame on you for not adding them, of the ones on the list I would say steel legion.

Gaunt
03-09-2006, 22:39
Praetorians, just coz i liked the models :)

Baneboss
03-09-2006, 22:45
Poll lacks options. Chem Dogs for me. Close behind Death Korps.

xibo
03-09-2006, 23:05
Poll lacks options. Chem Dogs for me. Close behind Death Korps.
Chem Dogs are conversions, right?

By Vahallans I of cause ment the Models, too. Alternatively Highelves with lasguns and Woodelves with sniperguns also do the job, and are much cheaper.

brother_fandango
03-09-2006, 23:09
cadians + necron legs = awesome cybernetic enhancement troops

Baneboss
03-09-2006, 23:25
Chem Dogs are conversions, right?

So? I dont see favourite miniature regiment in the thread and neither in the poll. I am mostly inspired by Chem Dogs villian past than any special conversions.

cybertron2000uk
03-09-2006, 23:30
terrax guard sounds cool....an army of commissars....has any body ever done em?

tanith and death korps fluff is great!

starlight
03-09-2006, 23:53
Mech IG Army: DIY minis based on Cadian models / DIY background
Foot IG Army: DIY minis based on Cadian models / DIY background with Cadian underpinnings
AC IG Army: DIY minis based on Cadian models / DIY background

Justicar_Freezer
04-09-2006, 00:24
I picked Mordians because I like the models and the fluff for them is pretty cool.

Eidolon
04-09-2006, 01:11
Death Korps! By far.

General Steiner: Codex Gray Imperial Army? Can you enlighten me please, I have no idea of what this is.

Gen.Steiner
04-09-2006, 01:18
'Codex Grey' Imperial Army are the very first Imperial Guard figures made, and pictures of them can be found here Stuff of Legends (http://www.solegends.com/citcat89/c894010impguard-m.htm) for example.

They were then replaced by the 2nd Edition models - Catachans, Cadians, Valhallans, Mordians and Tallarn to name but a few.

Now OOP I think you can only get them from E-Bay and other 2nd hand places, although GW Mail Order might cast 'em up for you if you asked nicely.

EDIT:

They're known as 'Codex Grey' because that was the colour the Imperial Army wore, according to the Codex - grey.

themagister
04-09-2006, 01:26
OTHER, savlar chem dogs

VetSgtNamaan
04-09-2006, 01:38
Tanith FIrst and Only for me ;)

rune
04-09-2006, 01:50
damn Catachan didnt get a SINGLE VOTE... no love for Rambo?

Reabe
04-09-2006, 02:58
Valhallans, so I voted "other".

For converted Imperial Guard, I'd say Chem Dogs.

lord_blackfang
04-09-2006, 03:04

I voted for them, because I knew noone else would. I honestly think they're decent models, and the jungle-raised-tough-guy theme isn't half bad.

UnRiggable
04-09-2006, 03:16
God I hate Catachans...the last thing we need at this point is an army of Arnold Shwarzangres. I definitely spelled that wrong. Can you imagine the political mess that would ensue?!

cailus
04-09-2006, 03:29
Favourite Guard regiment is a dead one. Nothing is more satisfying then slaughtering pathetic Imperial lapdogs.

Outlaw289
04-09-2006, 03:35
Cadians. Tough, disciplined, long legacy, exported and colonized all over the Imperium.

lord_blackfang
04-09-2006, 03:41
One interesting thing about plastic Catachans is that one of the heads is a dead ringer for Leslie Nielsen.

Z-chan
04-09-2006, 06:05
Steel Legion!

Barbarossa
04-09-2006, 06:06
You forgot the Praetorians! Shame on you! [insert smiley with moustache here]

Ardathair
04-09-2006, 06:10
Original style, not the wimps who have to use gocarts and wheeled carriers for heavy weapons.:D

Hellebore
04-09-2006, 06:38
Tallarns are really cool. Not sure why, maybe it's the arabic Laurence of Arabia look, but arab armies for teh win! ;)

Hellebore

Sraydel
04-09-2006, 06:46
Tallarn are my favourite, then catachan, cadian, mordian....vostroyan is prolly my least favourite. I like the rag tag look of tallarn and chatachan

Vanger
04-09-2006, 07:20
Voted Mordian Iron Guard. Altough their models don't do them justice, the way they are visually imagined appeals to me.
They are secondend by the Death Korps of Krieg. I hope FW keeps the high quality and I don't go broke when they come out.

cailus
04-09-2006, 07:30
I like those Guardsmen who don't move, smell funny and have had their heads chopped off by a choppa.

Dere gunz are puny but dere tanks I like!

Cpt_Tiberius
04-09-2006, 08:00
Death Korps hands down, with the Elysians and Salvar Chem-dogs a very close 2nd

BrainFireBob
04-09-2006, 08:51
Fluff or aesthetic?

Fluff: Mordians, Mordians, Mordians. Cadians.

Aesthetics: Steel Legion, Death Korps, Cadian Plastics.

Lord_Bedlem
04-09-2006, 08:58
Death Korps look way cool

Yorkiebar
04-09-2006, 09:14
Not that many people seem to like them these days, but if I ever do a guard army it'll be the Mordians. I love the models and the fluff.

Reflex
04-09-2006, 09:19
valhallans

Skink Master
04-09-2006, 09:32
Praetorians. It's the hats. Gotta be the hats.

static grass
04-09-2006, 09:32
I don't think there is much point including CJF as a seperate entry. Honestly they look like they were sculpted out of clay.

ghost of scubasteve
04-09-2006, 10:21
this quiz left out too many of them, someone should start a new one

Eidolon
04-09-2006, 10:56
'Codex Grey' Imperial Army are the very first Imperial Guard figures made, and pictures of them can be found here Stuff of Legends (http://www.solegends.com/citcat89/c894010impguard-m.htm) for example.

Thanks for the link. What really strikes me as odd are those beastmen. I know about abhumans and the like, but those look way too chaosy.

Frecus
04-09-2006, 11:01
I decline to vote. To protest at the lack of a valhallan option. :p

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

Sureshot05
04-09-2006, 11:37
Fluff - Mordians

Model wise - Mordians and Cadians

Cosmic_Girl
04-09-2006, 11:59
When you think about it though, what idea is original these days? Basically the whole 40k universe has been ripped off from something.

eg.

Emperor, living god, sacrificed himself for humanity = Jesus
Fyodor Karamazov = Fyodor Dostoyevsky + "Brothers Karamazov"
Inquisitor Torquemada Coteaz = Tomas de Torquemada of the spanish inquisiton
Tyranids = Aliens
Space marines = any super soldier theme
Tau = Robotech
Cypher = Antonia Banderas "Desperado"
Eldrad's quote during Eye of Terror = Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven"
etc...

Given that new ideas are so hard to come up with and the fact that GW are the biggest IP infringers in the universe, I'm okay with people using old ideas to make new themes for armies.

C-girl.

Ah crap, wrong thread! I like Cadians (embarassed)

2_heads_talking
04-09-2006, 19:48
I chose "Any Other", as I'd also have to choose Valhallans. I always loved them, especially their history of war with the Orks!

Of the choices on the list, I'd choose either the Catachans or Mordians. The old metal squads of each had fantastic miniatures, and the story for each really inspired me when I first became interested in this hobby (a good ten years ago now)!

EarthScorpion
04-09-2006, 20:06
My own personal one, the Faustrian XVI, from Faustri Prime (http://wiki.anargo-sector.net/index.php?title=World:Faustri_I)

Out of the official ones, though, the Elysians.

Tanith Ghost
04-09-2006, 20:10
God I hate Catachans...the last thing we need at this point is an army of Arnold Shwarzangres. I definitely spelled that wrong. Can you imagine the political mess that would ensue?!

This is a wargame. Politics can*deleted by ][nquisition*.
How does an army of Ah-nold cause a political mess?:eyebrows:

As it stands, I happen to like the plastic Catachans.
I voted other- you left out Vostroyans. Shame on you.:p

Conversion idea for the taking- Catachans mixed with necron parts.
The army of terminator.:evilgrin: :chrome:

Some guy (UK)
04-09-2006, 20:19

Rambo? Of course, but by no means the Catachan models. The arms spoil what otherwise are fairly nice sculpts- some of them are bigger than their Space Marine counter-parts! No thanks.

Later, Some Guy

DeathMasterSnikch
04-09-2006, 20:30
Cadian. Hard choice as I love most regiments but after using cadian a lot lately they've left an impresion (although mainly due to heroic performance and not background etc)

Gen.Steiner
04-09-2006, 21:35
Thanks for the link. What really strikes me as odd are those beastmen. I know about abhumans and the like, but those look way too chaosy.

In the Imperial Army, they flew jetbikes, drove Land Raiders, and conscripted Beastmen into the penal legions. :D

Chem-Dog
04-09-2006, 21:40
I have a Steel Legion army which will always rank amongst my favourites because it represents my first "complete" army.
I also have a Necromundan 8th force built from cadian plastics.

I've ticked other because the favourite IG regiment of mine for quite some time is the Savlar Chem dogs and I'm in the (very slow) process of building a force of them.

Something appealing about a regiment that is made up of criminals, something of the anti-hero thing.

imrhati
04-09-2006, 21:46
why didn;t you put the Vostroyans, thye deserve to eb up there more than a few.

Tanith Ghost
04-09-2006, 23:40
Rambo? Of course, but by no means the Catachan models. The arms spoil what otherwise are fairly nice sculpts- some of them are bigger than their Space Marine counter-parts! No thanks.

Later, Some Guy

If you take that approach, all IG models are crap- they should be smaller by far, or marines models all need to be bigger.:eyebrows:

What, pray tell is wrong with the arms? Catachans are supposed to be these beefy musclebound everlast types. The models reflect this well, I think.

Dais
05-09-2006, 01:41
valhalans, they bring together so much of what guard should be in one frosty package.

archonbrujah
05-09-2006, 01:58
Catachans hands down. As nice as the newer Cadian models are, the Catachans are humans who can actually fight there way out of a wet paper bag.

Besides, it gives me a great excuse to cover my tanks and sentinels in jungle moss :)

Archonbrujah

Chem-Dog
05-09-2006, 03:56
If you take that approach, all IG models are crap- they should be smaller by far, or marines models all need to be bigger.:eyebrows:

What, pray tell is wrong with the arms? Catachans are supposed to be these beefy musclebound everlast types. The models reflect this well, I think.

Exactly, the Chans need to be way smaller, for that matter so do the Cadians.
Chans end up effectively only being able to represent Chans as they are too enourmous to be "normal" humans (I won't even go into how Hi Gravity worlds would produce shorter people, not taller ones) I would much rather see a generic "Jungle warfare" infantry based on common images of US troops in vietnam (or at least the Movie version of US troops in the Movie version of Vietnam) than the Generic bodybuilder models we're stuck with now (who wouldn't want an M60 style Heavy Bolter?).

The arms are a pain because the join to the torso usually leaves you with a big line on the model's body, I'm always one to point out if there is a fault with a model then you should trim, snip, file and GS it, but in an infantry only army (and GUARD, at that) this becomes a real pain.

muskrat
05-09-2006, 04:15
I play Chaos, but I love the Catachan models. I won't use the Cadians for cultists/mutants, simply because they have too much of a rigid, military style- now a bunch of traitors or cultists slinking through ruins would be wearing the bare essentials- like the Chans. Fantastic range, but I agree, they should have done a more generic range before them in plastic (Cadians for example) Catachans are too haard to convert away from theiur imagery, whilst Cadians can have a simple arm/leg/head swap and be a whole different unit that bears only a little resemblance to the Cadians.

SON OF LION
05-09-2006, 04:40
I don't see Valhallans or Praetorians. My vote is split between the two.

lomo
05-09-2006, 10:10
Praetorians!!

Some guy (UK)
05-09-2006, 11:45

Marines? Nope. Look at some true-scale marines. The legs are lengthened, and the body needs to be make broader. But the arms dont need changing.

So if Marine arms in the sets are fine as far as true-scale goes, then the Catchan models are far too big. Catachan arms should be the same dimensions as Cadian ones, but with more defined muscles.

Later, Some Guy

Kahadras
05-09-2006, 13:26
It's the Valhallans for me. I really noticed them after reading the Commissar Cain books. I really think the models could do with a redo (mmmm nice new plastic sprue with all those cool great coats). I suppose that is never going to heppen though which is a bit of a shame. Maybe Forge world will have a go at them as they've look at Cadians, Elesians, Tallarn and will be doing Krieg in the future.

Kahadras

Fal
05-09-2006, 20:50
Fluff:tanith
Tactics:Elysian Drop Troops
Models:Elysian Drop Troops

dean
05-09-2006, 21:00
Praetorians (I think it ith the pith helmeth)
followed by the Cadians, and I like the idea of the Death Korps Rough riders.

CRasterImage
05-09-2006, 21:44
Gaunt's Ghosts. (tanith)

Dominus Doloris
05-09-2006, 23:07
Steel Legion!

Spaceraider
05-09-2006, 23:38
I voted other, it has to be Gaunts mob.

Lord Dante
05-09-2006, 23:44
DK just look cool...

StormCrow
05-09-2006, 23:52
Death Korps for sure, baddest mother ****ers in the world

Weedy Git
05-09-2006, 23:53
I'am partial to the regiment that I'am building right now .The 38th Virillian Sky Vipers.From Virillia out near the Iron hands home planet of Medeusa.But for the official list it's the Elysians for sure.