PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar

Adept
30-03-2005, 16:28
Anyone else watching (or watched) the new series of Battlestar Galactica? I'm really quite taken with it myself. The special effects are quite good, the storylines both interesting and moderately original, the acting is decent and the characters are well written.

And the Cylon chicks are hot. Man, I gotta get me a robot like that!

plasmadaemon
30-03-2005, 16:43
watched it on saturday too, too blinged out for my likes.

And the company who made the graphics did the graphics for Gladiator i think.

Inquisitor Engel
30-03-2005, 18:04
And the company who made the graphics did the graphics for Gladiator i think.
You just said that about Dr.Who. :eyebrows:

Anyway, I'm really impressed. When I first heard that Sci-Fi was redoing it I was quite disappointed, I mean, who would remake THAT show after all? I was even more disappointed when they Starbuck was a girl.

But I was impressed, thoroughly impressed. The 'realism' of the camera zooming, more like a news camera than a movie camera, and the effects are spectacular. The new Cylons are vast improvements over the old "men in suits" and the addition of the 'human' cyborgs is probably one of the coolest things they could have done.

I also think Gaius is one of the most interesting characters I've seen in Sci-Fi for a long time. Is the Cylon chick really there? Is she a figment of his own imagination, or did the Cylons do something to his head, and she's really in there? It's a fantastic plot device that. Good actor too.

Oh, and Edward James Olmos is FANTASTIC. He and the guy that plays the XO are excellent actors that play militarilly off each other very well.

The fact that they've subtly altered the names of the planets and groups of people (Capricorn to Caprica for instance) makes it a tad more believeable, well, perhaps not more believeable, but less cheesy.

Season Finale is this Friday on Sci-Fi. Can't wait for it, and especially can't wait for Season 2.

the_yuk
30-03-2005, 23:33
I enjoy it, althought its on very late here in Aus so i need caffene to be able to stay up to watch it. IM to young to remember the original but this seris is good.

New Cult King
31-03-2005, 00:57
I missed the 2-hour introduction to the series, and couldn't be arsed staying up late to watch the other episodes. I will, however, be buying the series on DVD sometime soon, cos I do want to see it.

Lord Balor
31-03-2005, 01:09
I also missed the introduction, but have been following it Here in Melbourne. Due to bad ratings, its moved from 9:30 to 10:30, not too bad but ruins any others movies i was planning on watching...

Adept
31-03-2005, 02:04
I missed the 2-hour introduction to the series, and couldn't be arsed staying up late to watch the other episodes. I will, however, be buying the series on DVD sometime soon, cos I do want to see it.

It's definately worth it. I missed the introduction as well, but a mate of mine has the entire series on DVD, so I managed to get myself up to speed on it last weekend. About eight hours worth of Battlestar Galactica and I loved every second of it.

But then, I am one of those guys who routinely watches all three extended Lord of the Rings movies. In a row.

Inquisitor Engel
31-03-2005, 02:29
Due to bad ratings, its moved from 9:30 to 10:30, not too bad but ruins any others movies i was planning on watching...
Was that their exact reason, or your guess?

It's Sci-Fi's highest rated show here, by a bucketload. It's viewership has actually INCREASED as the season went on. It passed both Stargate Series mid-Season.

It could have been moved because it's one hell of a lot more 'Adult' than the original show was. It has gratuitious sex. Regularly. It has gore and awesome realism.

Lord Balor
31-03-2005, 02:44
Was that their exact reason, or your guess?

It's Sci-Fi's highest rated show here, by a bucketload. It's viewership has actually INCREASED as the season went on. It passed both Stargate Series mid-Season.

For You its on a Dedicated Sci-Fi Channel, For us its on channel 10 which is Free to Air TV (I.E Channel 2, 7, 9, 10). We're in the middle of a total Ratings war where shows are created and cut like there's no tomorrow. As Australia is gripped by murder mystery at the moment and BattleStar didn't get the ratings they were expecting, its place has been taken by some sensing murder show while it has been bumped up to 10:30...

It could have been moved because it's one hell of a lot more 'Adult' than the original show was. It has gratuitious sex. Regularly. It has gore and awesome realism.

The Show is also a lot slower than the original which when aired on a Channel where Simpsons and Murder Mystery Reign supreme, cannot possibly end well.

I only wish we in ozland actully got this 'Sci-Fi Channel', but alas we must watch shows late at night because the rest of us are actually captivated by reality TV.

Your a lucky man Engel, I really wish, just for a day that we could swap places. Then you would know the horror of Australian Drama and 5 channels...even with Optus Vision (58 more channels) theres still nothing that even looks like its devoted Science Fiction

:(

Adept
31-03-2005, 03:04
As Australia is gripped by murder mystery at the moment and BattleStar didn't get the ratings they were expecting, its place has been taken by some sensing murder show while it has been bumped up to 10:30...

I just hope that Channel 10 doesn't decide to axe the series mid-season. It's a pity that Sci-fi still has such a social stigma attatched to it. People would rather watch Mcleods Daughters than Battlestar, even if Battlestar is more realistic and just on overall much better show.

And don't even get me started on CSI. THERE IS NO CRIME LAB, PEOPLE! The people who run the tests are SCIENTISTS! They DO NOT CONDUCT INVESTIGATIONS AND INTERVIEWS! Damn that show ***** me to tears.

Inquisitor Engel
31-03-2005, 03:47
And don't even get me started on CSI. THERE IS NO CRIME LAB, PEOPLE! The people who run the tests are SCIENTISTS! They DO NOT CONDUCT INVESTIGATIONS AND INTERVIEWS! Damn that show ***** me to tears.Don't forget the lighting is so bad. :p Bugs the crap out of me.

I prefer Law and Order, of any variety.

EDIT:

Your a lucky man Engel, I really wish, just for a day that we could swap places. Then you would know the horror of Australian Drama and 5 channels...even with Optus Vision (58 more channels) theres still nothing that even looks like its devoted Science Fiction
No Satellite or Digital Cabel at all? I get just over 1000 channels, and that's the basic satellite package. With Premium that goes up to nearly 3000.

Considering Oz's proximity to the techno-hip Japan, which seemingly has both a channel and a show for virtually anything you want, I find this exceedingly surprusing.

And saddening. :(

Adept
31-03-2005, 03:51
Don't forget the lighting is so bad. :p Bugs the crap out of me.

I prefer Law and Order, of any variety.

Ditto that. I like the SVU version. And actually, this later timeslot for Battlestar works out now because it used to be on at the same time as Law and Order.

Inquisitor Engel
31-03-2005, 03:54
Ditto that. I like the SVU version. And actually, this later timeslot for Battlestar works out now because it used to be on at the same time as Law and Order.
Sounds like a win-win situation to me, unless it gets cut. Here's hoping, for your case.

I'm watching SVU as we speak. :D

*Starts Law and Order thread*

Lord Balor
31-03-2005, 04:01
I get just over 1000 channels, and that's the basic satellite package. With Premium that goes up to nearly 3000.

:eek:

Balor Doesn't Love You anymroe Engel...your 1000 Channels are no much for 58 channels worth of Aussie Drama and American Crime Shows!

:(

*Makes Plan to Steal Foreign Satelite*

New Cult King
31-03-2005, 07:06
*Makes Plan to Steal Foreign Satelite*

*spins round in big plush leather swivel chair while stroking a big fluffy white cat and laughing maniacally*

3000 channels? Guh? It would take you half a day to figure out there's nothing on worth watching!

hairyman
01-04-2005, 09:01
3,000 channels is truly ridiculous...

...Battlestar is great, though. Watched the whole first series on Sky (in the UK) and am eagerly awaiting series 2. And, for anyone old enough to remember the original (it was what Sunday afternoons were all about when you were kid, Battlestar or the A-Team), they got rid of the hugely annoying robot dog/cute child combo.

Samoth
01-04-2005, 14:33
There is one thing I didnt like, in the first actual episode, about half of the space engagments were just footage from the mini-series re hashed.

It's better now though.

Delicious Soy
02-04-2005, 05:19
Now I can post the reply I finished just as the server went offline yesterday:

3000 channels? Sweet merciful crap, I actually pruned my cable down to about 30 channels from 60 and that was plenty, until the bastards made everything digital and ended my run of illegal cable.

OT: This is my new favourite show (considering my last favourite show was probably The X-files thats pretty important). Pity that it gets bumped to 10.30 when primetime has such spectacular offerings as 'Random reality based crap', 'Your house sucks make it better!' and 'per capita entertainment - more drama for your generic dollar!' Sometimes living here can give me the *****. At least it's sunny outside.

Samoth
02-04-2005, 11:17
I remember when we complained about the American comedies.

Oh dear god, give me the simpsons, everbody loves raymond, becker, etc etc any day. Funnies thing is the reality hows contain no reality whatsoever. Trained craftsmen professionlly constructing diy kits, and expecting us to have the exact same results at home.

12 people locked in a house with no outside communication. Oh yeah, that's reality all right.

Minister
03-04-2005, 13:50
You've obviously never stayed in University accomodation over one of the holidays...

Wintermute
03-04-2005, 14:17
BSG is easily the one of the best SF shows made in recent years. Its up there with B5 and Farscape as a show that redefines SF.

I orignally saw the show when Sky 1 premiered it in October last year. Unfortunately for the UK the US will get Season 2 first. Until then I will just have to settle for watching the Season 1 dvd set which was released on 28th March in the UK.

Dargon
05-04-2005, 06:18
For You its on a Dedicated Sci-Fi Channel, For us its on channel 10 which is Free to Air TV (I.E Channel 2, 7, 9, 10). We're in the middle of a total Ratings war where shows are created and cut like there's no tomorrow. As Australia is gripped by murder mystery at the moment and BattleStar didn't get the ratings they were expecting, its place has been taken by some sensing murder show while it has been bumped up to 10:30...Personally, I'm just thanking my lucky stars that Channel 9 didn't get the show. The channel has absolutely no respect for Sci-fi, they made me constantly chase Farscape around with no warning... and have they even finished screening the last episodes of Voyager yet :rolleyes: .

Channel 10 at least has a history of supporting it's shows (and even bringing a few back from the grave). Not quite to the extent of channel 7 (which holds Stargate and Atlantis), but I'm confident that despite a shift to 10.30, it'll stick around to the end. At least they are still going full-throttle on the advertising, which is a good sign, and 10.30 is still a better timeslot than 1.00am, which is the current placement of Enterprise on channel 9 (no respect!).

Although I'm old enough to have watched the original Battlestar Galactica, I barely remember it (definately remember the A-Team). Probably for the better ;) . The new show is quite simply fantastic, and so far it's right up there with my other favorites of Sci-fi. The sex and sense of realism in the show really sets it apart from any other Sci-fi series I've yet seen - it gives the show a sense of uncertainty, that they're not about to hold back.

What I like the best so far about the show is the constant question that each episode puts forward - is humanity worth saving? Every episode forces the characters to make some seriously unethical choices in the interests of survival, the choices are never clear, and if they turn out to be the "right" choices at the end of the day, it's usually down to the toss of a dice - such as Dr. Gaius accidently convicting an actual Cylon agent as his innocent scapegoat in the beginning (never saw that one coming :eek: ).

Oh, yeh... and the girls are hot too! :D

Just a thought...

Delicious Soy
05-04-2005, 06:58
Channel 9 did shoiw the last episodes of voyager about a month ago in Sydney. As for Channel 10 showing loyalty anyone remeber the last two or three seasons of the X-Files, admittedly they weren't a patch on the earlier seasons but every week trhe show was on a different timeslot.

Samoth
05-04-2005, 11:03
True, the show does have hoit chicks, sex etc. - but it isnt the sort of "let's throw in a hot chick or two in skin-tight lycra - just to get the non-nerds watching" thing that star trek does.

The boyz
05-04-2005, 12:18
Yeah i have seen bits of it now and again it looks pretty dam good.I should watch it more