PDA

View Full Version : 2000p Beastmen

Minotower
23-06-2005, 16:52
What do you guys think off the following Khorne army? I want to go for 2000p but to do that I need to save a few points. What would you get rid off?
I don't have my book with me at the moment, I don't know the exact point cost of the lord, but I think the rest is correct

Beastlord: MoK, GW, armour of damnation: 170p or something

5 furies: 75
4 minos: GW, MoK, Standard: 249

18 Khornegors: Champ, Standard: 285
chariot: 85
herd 8 gor / 15 ungor: FC: 141
herd 9 gor / 15 ungor: FC: 148
herd 5 gor / 8 ungor: musician: 72
herd 5 gor / 5 ungor: 55
5 hounds: 30

2PD, 6DD

total points: 2096 or something

I'll ambush a few of the hounds and the 5/5 herd, depending on my opp. My lord starts with the Khornegors (immune to panic), when he has called the ambush he will go with a 8/15 herd. The 5/8 herds screen the larger herds and perhaps the minos and chariots, all depending on the opposition.

The minos and khorngors can take on any unit head on, the rest goes for the flanks, rears, warmachines, shooters, mages, ... I try to have so many units that my opp. can't deal with them all, picture mages having nowhere to run, nowhere to hide, warmachines being overwhelmed, units totally surrounded and ran down by hounds, ...

I'm a bit worried about my lack of anti-magic (only 6DD, no scrolls) so I'm also considering a shaman scroll cadie. The rest of the hero slots I won't use, I find putting chars in herds to be a bit risky (unruly), the Khornegors don't really need more support.

But I'm not really sure what to save points on now: I could drop a chariot, some hounds, reduce unit sizes

What do you think and suggest, let me know.

Thanks

Megilain
23-06-2005, 17:29
I would definately increase magic defence if i were you. You have loads of units really vulnerable to magic missiles (or rather to the panic test they cause) and a well-laid comet could decimate your entire battle line. A scroll caddy wouldnīt definately be a bad idea. The points for this, I would take from reducing the gors in the two bigger units to 6 (letīs face it the gors that do not get into contact are only on the way), taking off two units of dogs (it is not like your army runs out of screeners or ambushers) and reducing the khorngors to 15 (still full ranks). This gives you 131 points, that is six more than the cost of undivided bray-shaman with two scrolls. Now if you then take of one of the chariots (you would still have a enourmous amount of hitting power) and change the khorngor champion to musician your army would, by my calculation, stand at 1999 points... :) This is of course only my suggestion...

Selsaral
23-06-2005, 20:26
I agree with increasing magic defense, but I'd do it by adding more marks of khorne and getting magic resistance instead of a scroll caddie. One of my favorite techniques is to get a beast character with the collar of khorne (only 25 points) and put him with the biggest beast herd I've got. Then screen the entire army with that herd. 2 magic resistance versus almost all incoming spells makes a huge difference.

As an addition to that strategy, I also often get an army standard with the gore banner and put him with this big beast herd. So not only do they have great magic resistance and shooting defense (skirmishers are hard to hit), since they are screening everything and taking tons of casualties they will be taking lots of panic tests. The gore banner lets you reroll panic tests, which really keeps the herd in place. This is also an excuse to get another character with the mark of khorne and another dispell die (your army standard), and the gore banner is relatively cheap.

Against skaven for example, who live off of magic missiles like Warp Lightning, the magic resistance thing is incredibly effective.

Even if you only can screen your army with this magic resistant unit for the first turn or two it can make a big difference.

Selsaral
23-06-2005, 20:30
And you're right about the danger of putting characters with unruly beast herds, it can be dangerous. It has backfired on me occasionally. But when it doesn't you'll be a happy camper. Those herds can fight with rank bonus, skirmish so have 360 degree line of sight, etc, etc.

Besides, failing the roll and blundering forward is usually what you wanted to do with a khorne army anyways ;-)

Minotower
23-06-2005, 20:53
I think I'm more in favor of the first solution, taking a scroll cadie, although the other solution with the collar of Khorne sounds good too. But against some magic (necromancy, movement spells, ...) it wouldn't help me at all. Also I wouldn't know where I have to get the points for another wargor, a Battle standard bearer, the marks and the magic items.
This would severly limit my strategy to have so many expendable units that they can't take them all out, while still retaining a hardhitting, immune to panic core.

Basically my herds are there to soak up missiles, while the more vulnerable dogs and furies deal with shooters, warmachines and mages.

Other ideas are still greatly appreciated.

Riddy
24-06-2005, 14:43
Dont bother with a scroll caddy, a khorne army with a wizard is about as fluffy as an alligator. 6DD should be fine at 2K, most armies will only have 6-8 casting dice with only the heaviest magic armies having 10-12 and when facing magic heavy armies you should have no problem as the furies can hunt down wizards and your fast moving army should give the enemy too many targets to deal with. Just keep the herds near the lord for the first few turns and once you have ambushed the enemy will have to either kill the ambushing units or face being charged from all sides.

Fianlly, to make 2K either drop a chariot and a few ungor or 3 units of hounds and an ungor.

Minotower
25-06-2005, 09:02
An advantage of a scroll cadie I hadn't thought of before was the fact that I than have 3 PD, allowing me to reliably dispell a remains in play spell in my magic phase. And I don't think the caddie is so unfluffy, call him a blood priest and that's it. But of course against non magic heavy armies it's a bit of a waste of 120p, 4 more units of hounds that could both mage hunt and do lots of other jobs.

So I guess it really depends on the opposition (like so many things), but I still don't know what would do best in a tournament environment.

MarcoPollo
27-06-2005, 21:02
I think selsarels idea of the Kollar of Khorne is excellent strategy. If you screen unit with it especially your core, you will be able to reduce the effectiveness of an opponents shooting phase and magic phase. These are the advantages that work well becuase they last over several turns.

Your enemy will want to panic you troops and this can really limit your movement if you have lots of units fleening.

I play beast, and my strategy is to have super-units comming from ambush usually with characters in them. I like khorne but I find that that if I am ambushing I take causualties in the turns it takes for them to come out. Often, I will have them come from the flank instead of the rear. I also play with a lot of dogs and I will ambush alteast one unit. I know the chances are slim for them to come out at the right spot, but it is a worthy gamble.

4 chariots may seem a little cheesy and I have been rebuked for using that many. If I want to win, I will use 4, if I want to have a pleseant time I will use no more than 3 (no clipping either).

I also, use a giant. He holds the flank well and can really scare an opponent because of the randomness of his attacks. Often, I find that for 200+ points, he earns his keep. Sure he can get shot up but it will take usually 2 cannon balls to fell him. At least these cannon balls are diverted away from more central figures in the list.

Minotower
30-06-2005, 10:29
Here's my new list:

Beastlord: MoK, GW, shield, armour of damnation: 174p

5 furies: 75

15 Khornegors: Champ, Standard: 249
herd 9 gor / 14 ungor: FC: 144
herd 9 gor / 12 ungor: FC: 136
herd 5 gor / 5 ungor: 55

2PD, 6DD

total points: 2000

I scrapped 1 chariot, 3 khornegor and a few ungor. I added another unit of hounds.
I decided to keep the magic defence as it is, I have 2 13-strong units to screen me, they will be deployed on a line, each in range of my general, who begins with the Khornegors in the center.

I kept a high number of units, allowing my hammers (minos, khornegors and perhaps even chariots) to be deployed when my opp. has already finished. I'll now try to roll one flank up, delaying the other with herds, hounds and ambushers. If my opp. has all set up on 1 flank, I would have him pinned between ambushers and hammers, severly limiting his movement and perhaps allowing me to run over from 1 unit in another.

The Collar of Khorne idea still seems very good, I'll try it when I know what opp. I'm facing, but in a all-comers environment it seems kind of expensive (the cost of the chars).

Any other feedback? All help given is greatly appreciated.