PDA

View Full Version : Kommandos: How would you make em better?

Kelpi
04-09-2006, 06:21
Now Im a big fan of Kommandos, but lets face it they arent terribly different from your regular boyz in terms of rules. So that got me thinking, what could be done to make them better? Please comment and/or add your own.

These are some ideas in no particular order:

Sniper Rifles, either Ork built or looted. Available as a weapon upgrade.

Deep Strike, paratrooper style or teleporta style or "I was hidden 'ere all along" style etc. No Ork unit can deep strike (correct me if Im wrong).

"Dey are good at hiding", +1 cover save or 6+ cover save in the open.

Frag Stikkbombs Standard

Some use for that dynamite grot ;)

cailus
04-09-2006, 06:25
They have infiltrate and move through cover (if I remember correctly), isn't that enough?

The maximum squad size is a wee bit small at 10, but any more and they'd be difficult to place behind cover.

Out of all those suggestions the only one I agree with is Frag Stikkbombz as standard (also for storm boyz).

shutupSHUTUP!!!
04-09-2006, 06:31
I don't see why orks would get a particular benefit from using cover, what can a sneaky ork do that a well-trained scout from the other races can't?

They are only sneaky relative to other orks, the story in the special characters section is amusing but I don't think it should be representative of all kommandos.

Kelpi
04-09-2006, 06:47
They have infiltrate and move through cover (if I remember correctly), isn't that enough?

Well, maybe it is enough. But in comparison to say SM Scouts they get a pretty raw deal.

SM Scouts get: -1 Armour Save, Infiltrate and Move Through Cover, pretty much the same equivalent weapon options +sniper rifles all for -2 ppm over your regular SM

Ork Kommandos have the same "upgrades" but less options for +1 ppm over Slugga boyz (+2 over shoota boyz)

Now Im not saying that Kommandos should be the Ork version of scouts but by rights they should have something to compensate, preferably something original and Orky

MordrekDaMean
04-09-2006, 06:49
Amongst my friends we use a number of House Terrain rules. One of these being...

A unit with the Infiltrate Universal Rule can only be seen within 2" of the edge of a piece of cover ( woods, ruins, etc.) rather than 6" due to their abilities and efforts towards concealment.

This makes Kommandoes, scouts, etc a sneaky choice and can use infiltration type abilities even when not playing a mission that allows for infiltration set up.
I like to get my Kommandoes into position along the most likely route an opponent may take to reach my side of the table... he knows they are there, he can t shoot at them hidden away in a forest... can he afford to ignore them? Does he make the effort to go in and get 'em? Bwaha ha! Lurking camoflaged Orky deth!

sigur
04-09-2006, 06:50
The idea of improved cover save contradicts the fluff bit which sais that Kommandoz do use camo but in quite mispicked colours. Just give the Kommandoz some kind of demo charge option and you're fine. Oh, and frag grenades.

Or just power axes and Bolt Pistols.:D (just kidding)

cailus
04-09-2006, 07:08
Well, maybe it is enough. But in comparison to say SM Scouts they get a pretty raw deal.

SM Scouts get: -1 Armour Save, Infiltrate and Move Through Cover, pretty much the same equivalent weapon options +sniper rifles all for -2 ppm over your regular SM

Ork Kommandos have the same "upgrades" but less options for +1 ppm over Slugga boyz (+2 over shoota boyz)

Now Im not saying that Kommandos should be the Ork version of scouts but by rights they should have something to compensate, preferably something original and Orky

But Kommandos and scouts are intrinsically different units in two very different armies. A comparison with them is not valid.

Bork
04-09-2006, 10:12
I´d settle for three special weapon choises instead of one.

RampagingRavener
04-09-2006, 10:30
To be honest, I think they're quite nice as they are now. Frag Stikkbombz and a 6+ save included in the price would be nice, as would being able to take a second special weapon (but then again, Trukkerz only get one and they have the same Mob size).

The thing with scouts is that they are worse than a basic Marine. Kommandoz are better, short of the missing 6+ save, as being able to Infiltrate close to the enemy for a CC army that only moved 6" a turn is rather useful.

Getz
04-09-2006, 13:11
I would suggest giving them built in Stikbombs and a Demo Charge as an option. It's fluffy and suitably Random for Orks.

Perhaps two Specials instead of one too, but they definately need something as at the moment there is little to recommend them over the other Ork elite options...

ArtificerArmour
04-09-2006, 13:13
I'd give them power armour.

Dosadi
04-09-2006, 15:16
Just increase the mob size. That's it. Let me take 20 in a mob and I'll be happy. As it stands right now, I field 2 mobs of 10 in CoD games. All I would need to make them better would be bigger mobs. All other options are fine. I will always take frag stickbombs and tankbusta bombs as well. They are expensive, but worth it. With the increased size we should be allowed to take up to 3 heavy weapons as well.

Dosadi

Eblis_Dead_Forever
04-09-2006, 16:22
I've had great sucess with them in City fight espically with sewer rats option. Two squads killed a Marshal, a squad of assault terminators, a Grey Kinght Grand Master with 3 terminators and an Emperors champion in one battle. :D

VetSgtNamaan
04-09-2006, 17:44
Probably not what you meant but if you ask me the best way to make Kommandos better would be to make them frackin' plastic. How the heck are you supposed to convert them into all thier orky glory if they are all metal?

Latro_
04-09-2006, 18:36
frag stik bombs for free, tank busta bombs half price, allowed to take 2 special weps not one.

that'd fix them

Sheena Easton
04-09-2006, 18:39
Aside from allowing them to carry 'Uge Choppas as a "Special" Weapon (an option I'd also like for Stormboyz, Skarboyz & 'Ardboyz), I wouldn't - they work fine as they are.

I wouldn't object to allowing a second Special / 'Eavy Weapon upgrade though...

mooserehab86
04-09-2006, 21:57
I just think they should be able to take more than one special/heavy weapon. I think it would give them some more options, for example infiltrating a small unit with 2 big shootas to potentially do some damage while the rest of the army catches up.

Helicon_One
04-09-2006, 22:04
My Codex project did the following:

- Moved to Troops (but reduced to 0-2)
- 5-15 Orks per mob
- Points drop, and weapon options (7ppm with just a CCW, +1 to add a slugga or shoota, +1 to replace CCW with Choppa)
- 2 support weapons per mob (including Big Choppa).
- frag, krak and tankbusta options.

Tim

Ouroboros
04-09-2006, 23:43
Multiple burnas 3+ would make them pretty nasty in combo with infiltrate. You could ambush squads and vehicles with a good chance of causing severe damage to or destroying either.

Da Reddaneks
05-09-2006, 02:20
I believe they need a few changes.

(1) squad size is a problem. i would increase the size of a squad to 15 at least.
(2) point cost. kommandos are too expensive, much like all ork units right now, for what you get.
(3) more special weapons. the squad should be able to have three special weapons like a regular squad.

then we have our wish list stuff.
(1) the dynamite grot. what a wonderful model! what a great demolition charge he would make.
(2) kommandos are the most trained, theoritically speaking, of all the blood axes. i wouldnt mind seeing their stats and skills represent that specialized training.
(3) make them as good as kroot. infiltrate, reroll who goes first, be able to move d6" closer to the enemy. (as a side bar i think kroot just suck. how in the world they came up with the small point cost for guys with those abilities is beyond me. the freaking kroot "go first" "infiltrate d6 inches" "always gets the charge" army is far more powerful than its points cost indicates).
(4) "Where Eagles Dare." remember that movie (Burt Lancaster and Clint Eastwood)? Now those guys were kommandos. in 40k terms they would be better shots, better fighters, stealthy, climbing abilities, set booby traps, be able to call in orbital strikes and the like. Remember how Kommandos looked in 2nd edition. If you have never seen Where Eagles Dare you should. That is what ork Kommandos SHOULD be in a dream codex!

i truly hope they do something special with kommndos as i think the new models are really great and the fluff behind them is without question fantastic!

Maguni
05-09-2006, 02:28
They should come with stikkbombs and get +1 cover save for the same price.

Chem-Dog
05-09-2006, 03:26
I would suggest giving them built in Stikbombs and a Demo Charge as an option.

Agreed, Demo Charge is a must, Da Reddaneks' idea of a Bomb Grot is a great one.

Perhaps give them some kind of cover bonus (if they don't already have one, it's a long time since I looked at the Ork Codex) but I'm not sure if what Orks think is "stelfy" would actually be that steathy.

cailus
05-09-2006, 05:15
Here's an idea. Bring Kommandos up to the same standard as the one's led by the special character in the Ork Codex (forget his name and his abilities).

Also give Stormboyz the Vulcha squad rules (charge 12 iches but need to take Dangerous terrain test).

Mojaco
05-09-2006, 11:55
"Dere is nobody 'ere!"
Nightfight rules to shoot them while in cover. I can just image an ork trying with his best human accent; "Stop shootin, I'm a prettsy laydy!"

"Shut up, stoopid!"
On a 1, unit may do nothing that turn and "Dere is nobody 'ere" does not apply in the following enemy turn. Represents them infighting due to one messing up.

I don't care if that doesn't fit fluff. Anything to make orks funnier again!

Da Reddaneks
07-09-2006, 13:00
Here's an idea. Bring Kommandos up to the same standard as the one's led by the special character in the Ork Codex (forget his name and his abilities).

Also give Stormboyz the Vulcha squad rules (charge 12 iches but need to take Dangerous terrain test).
i very much like both of those suggestions cailus.

GrimZAG
07-09-2006, 14:38
I've played with orks for a few years, and i reckon a cool idea would be to mesh kommados with lootas, but that probably wouldn't go down well with the blood axe and deathskull players, so maybe give them the option of 3 special weapons *cough* burnas *cough* and then "fleet", oh yeah and a powerclaw wielding nob.

Dionysus II
07-09-2006, 14:44
A price reduction would make the Kommandos better.

Cheers

Dio

AventineCrusader
07-09-2006, 15:24
Just move them to Troops, problem solved.

Crusader

Quin 242
07-09-2006, 16:55
Allow them to be bigger mobz (up to 20) and allow up to 2 special weapons.

Other than that, they rock!

scheppo
07-12-2007, 11:16
Hey, when the codex comes out one can finall say who "won" this thread! From what i`ve heared two special weapons and standard fragbombs did make it into the codex didn`t they? I sometimes wonder if studio guys have a look at warseer threads now and then...

baldbeachbum
07-12-2007, 14:51
First Snikrot is used as an elite choice. Or was, not sure now.

I've played a commandos for years and used Snikrot in over a hundred battles. Without the 4+ choppa they are dead even with furious charge. The way to play Komandos now is Snikrot is a must to give them Unseen Unheard. Keep them in cover and use them to hold a table corner or a flank.

The Komando models are really nice. GW did a great job on the models which is what I think GW is best at.