PDA

View Full Version : Wow.. this is so hard to resist..

gorenut
04-09-2006, 09:13
A retailer in my area is selling Skullpass boxes for $36 US dollars. That's only a dollar more than a regiment box. Now, I already have Empire and DoW going on at the same time.. but this is seriously tempting me to start up either Dwarfs or Gobbos. Hah, help convince me to not give in!

Panzer MkIV
04-09-2006, 09:20
Just give in to temptation;)

You know you want to:p

Pravus
04-09-2006, 09:29
Give in and sell it for a profit on the bay -

Don't listen to my evil twin!

Do it - exploit your weak willed gaming comrades ...

No - don't - it'll make you as bad a a drugs pusher!

Sod them - it's their own fault if they can't resist!

*SMACK*take that evil twin! *THUMP* self righteous imbecile!*CRUMP*

gorenut
04-09-2006, 09:46
This simple purchase will lead into a string of other violent purchases.. that's what I'm afraid of. The worst part is, my cousin already pre-ordered one and said if I got one, he'd be willing to trade me for whatever army I want to start!

Vilicate
04-09-2006, 09:51
My local store sells everything for 20% off (for fantasy). So either way, it's the same to me...it's still a great deal :-D

gorenut
04-09-2006, 09:55
I should still hold off.. but let's say I do decide to cave in... which of the 2 armies do you think I should start? The stuff that factors in:
OnG will probably provide a greater contrast to Empire and DoW
Dwarfs would be easier to impliment into my already existing armies either as DoW or as allies (I don't play in tourneys)
OnG, I would want to start a mostly cav force (which means I'd have to get some wolf riders)
Dwarfs, I'd want to start an army with as many miners as possible.

10th clancannach rangers
04-09-2006, 10:43
Looks like the dwarves are for you then!

Voltaire
04-09-2006, 12:42
Simple, trade with your cousin. You have the basis for a nice simple Throng then.

The boyz
04-09-2006, 13:13
I say, go for it Gorenut. Buy the BFSP box set and then swap your Night Goblins with your cousin for his Dwarfs.

skavenguy13
04-09-2006, 13:50
You could decide to just have a little warband. Either warband rules, or games like Mordheim and Skirmish. So you'd need a single set, 2 if you want to play with small armies.

And you don't really need more than that, thus no extra costy purchases.

Lordsaradain
04-09-2006, 15:28
I say, go for it Gorenut. Buy the BFSP box set and then swap your Night Goblins with your cousin for his Dwarfs.

Yes!

Do it!

gorenut
04-09-2006, 18:58
So you guys think dwarfs would compliment an Empire/DOW player better than Gobbos?

skavenguy13
04-09-2006, 21:08
You can use dwarfs in DOW armies. Not gobbos.

chris_valera
05-09-2006, 00:28
A retailer in my area is selling Skullpass boxes for $36 US dollars. That's only a dollar more than a regiment box. Now, I already have Empire and DoW going on at the same time.. but this is seriously tempting me to start up either Dwarfs or Gobbos. Hah, help convince me to not give in!

Same here. I might get three. Enough models to have a good mix of units, max our your special slots on both, and have a full-size unit of trolls, woo hoo! http://*********************/ani/smiley_dance.gif

--Chris

Sotec
05-09-2006, 02:07
These store owners are idiots.

If they can't sell these starter boxes for the retail price then they are too stupid to be in business, are needlessly throwing away profits and cheating customers by selling a product that requires investment at a throwaway price to get them started.

Stores that lie to customers like that make me sick.
Cheers!
Sotec

Jackal-God
05-09-2006, 02:51
hmm.. the local shop here sells ALL of their GW products and paints at 20% off retail. Quite nice really :)

BrningHalo
05-09-2006, 03:27
I would say trade and start which ever army interests you the most. Which will you enjoy playing and painting most? That is the army you should start.

I play Tomb Kings as my primary Fantasy army. I have the Empire set and Orc set from the 6th Ed boxed set still on the sprue. So, I plan on getting this new boxed set and having a nice mix of small, warband sized armies for variety: Empire, Orc and Goblin and Dwarves.

If the retailer you are talking about is the same one I am thinking about (located in Garden Grove), then I can say that they are a great group of people and will help gamers in any way they can.

Thanks,
Tom

Camrion
05-09-2006, 04:28
Battle for Skull Pass is hard to resist in its own right at its normal cost.

I wanted to field a strict orc army but now, the concept of adding a little independent Night Goblin tribe to them is overwhelming. Plus, I can get my friend started on a dwarven army for dirt cheap and build a regular opponent out of him for my orcs to pound.

Already plotting a campaign to get him the dwarf minis people seem to hate so much so he can get an army on the table for very low cost.

Camrion

gorenut
05-09-2006, 15:15

If they can't sell these starter boxes for the retail price then they are too stupid to be in business, are needlessly throwing away profits and cheating customers by selling a product that requires investment at a throwaway price to get them started.

Cheers!
Sotec

Wow.. someone complaining about lower prices... Plus it's a hobby store where most people going in know what they're getting themselves into. They can easily look at the prices of the other stuff on the same shelf.

gorenut
05-09-2006, 15:16
I would say trade and start which ever army interests you the most. Which will you enjoy playing and painting most? That is the army you should start.

I play Tomb Kings as my primary Fantasy army. I have the Empire set and Orc set from the 6th Ed boxed set still on the sprue. So, I plan on getting this new boxed set and having a nice mix of small, warband sized armies for variety: Empire, Orc and Goblin and Dwarves.

If the retailer you are talking about is the same one I am thinking about (located in Garden Grove), then I can say that they are a great group of people and will help gamers in any way they can.

Thanks,
Tom

Yup, I'm talking about Brookhust Hobbies. Very personable buncha guys.

snurl
06-09-2006, 04:46
Just roll a D6 to decide

chris_valera
06-09-2006, 07:29
Yup, I'm talking about Brookhust Hobbies. Very personable buncha guys.

Yup, same here. I think I'll go in for it now. You guys are my enablers. :D

--Chris

rhaberova
08-09-2006, 05:33

Cheers!
Sotec

What the hell are you talking about?? They still make profit and i don't see how they lie to customers and cheat by making the prices cheaper...You shouldn't be that weak to buy random $h!t just because it's cheap, that'd be your own fault....I wish that store was near me! Sounds like some cool cats........what all comes in that pack anyways??

plantagenet
08-09-2006, 08:02
At 36 dollars the box set is less than half the price of what it is in England. Really sad that in there home country they are charging so much more for it.

Here in Switzerland the box set is cheaper by 25% but is still 50% more than US price.

I wonder if US mail order delivers to Switzerland?

rhaberova
08-09-2006, 08:15
I'd check ebay (the U.S. one of course) and see if any of the sellers ship worldwide. Lots of them do.

chris_valera
08-09-2006, 15:26

Cheers!
Sotec

Or maybe, just maybe, offering the lower price draws in customer who live an hour away, who will happily make the drive to the store and pick up a few more things while they're there. Like say, the 20% off they offer in GW box sets all the time. That makes me make the drive there once every so often. And when I do, you better believe I drop a good amount of cash.

Perhaps you should start reading my shopping reports in the Other GW foum...

And shock and horror, but another local store is running a 20% off GW sale on everything, including books, blisters and hobby supplies.

They do it before every convention, to get the cash that gamers would otherwise spend at the con. Alkso, because GW staffers are now complaining about selling OOP product at a discount at the con. They're also complaining about gamer "bring-and-buy" tables as well.

So between that store and this one, I've got my Battle for Skull Pass needs on lock.

--Chris

Bloodthirster90
08-09-2006, 17:30
I too am thinking about getting the BFSP box for my birthday, but the thing is, i've never had anything to do with fantasy before, except for a dawn of war mod.
what does DOW mean to you guys (other than dawn of war) and which of the two armies would be best for a person just starting on the fantasy trail, but having 2 years experience in 40k

robertsjf
08-09-2006, 18:06
The worst part is, my cousin already pre-ordered one and said if I got one, he'd be willing to trade me for whatever army I want to start!

It's done. Game over.

rhaberova
08-09-2006, 19:12
what does DOW mean to you guys (other than dawn of war) I believe they mean dogs of war, one of the armies in fantasy. I'm not completely sure though.

Crazy Harborc
08-09-2006, 19:35
DoW.....yes Dogs of War.

Got one on order from an indie mailorder store (20% discount). Tonight I am joining in at the local GW store. Supposed to go on until after midnight. I was told there will be free(?) give aways:eek:

The SKull Pass minies may just become collector's items in the future. At the least, you might be able to sell parts of the box at a profit. Example, 10 spider riders for $25(USD). Divide the gobbos into units of 20 each and sell them 20 for 20/25 bucks per unit. Samething with the dwarves;) Keep one army from the box and sell the other. VERY likely you can save the buyer some bucks AND at least get back your $45 (plus tax).

gorenut
08-09-2006, 19:52
I have mustered all my willpower to resist the temptation, haha. I think it's reading all the upcoming Empire goods that has given me strength. I will however, probably take a squad of dwarfs from my cousin's set to help bolster my DoW dwarfs.

chris_valera
09-09-2006, 02:53
I have mustered all my willpower to resist the temptation, haha.

I haven't. I just picked up two boxes at $36 (20% off) a hardcover rulebook at 20% off and I'll grab another Skull Pass tomorrow, also at 20% off...

Pray for my soul brothers, I'm heading into the light... :D

--Chris

Bloodthirster90
09-09-2006, 10:49
3 skull pass boxes? you might just get bored putting the same 100 minis together 3 times over...

chris_valera
09-09-2006, 15:08
3 skull pass boxes? you might just get bored putting the same 100 minis together 3 times over...

Huh? No more bored than I would be putting together enough models to make a full army... :confused:

--Chris

IcedCrow
09-09-2006, 15:28
The skull pass box sets are beyond awesome deals. They are a steal at $36!!

And the good thing is that most any army can make use of dwarfs as dogs of war!!

Crazy Harborc
10-09-2006, 01:11
Heck, for once GW IS giving the customer fair value for the money. The NG regimental boxes are $35(USD) with 20 minies enclosed.

I can handle the mono poses of the minies. IMHO, that is much better than getting 20 multi-part/pose minies together only to discover they do NOT rank up:eek:

chris_valera
10-09-2006, 07:56
The SKull Pass minies may just become collector's items in the future.

I seriously doubt that, these are box set models, the most common of all models. When 40K2 wrapped up, the grotz were selling for like a nickel each.

At the least, you might be able to sell parts of the box at a profit. Example, 10 spider riders for $25(USD). Divide the gobbos into units of 20 each and sell them 20 for 20/25 bucks per unit. Samething with the dwarves;) Keep one army from the box and sell the other. VERY likely you can save the buyer some bucks AND at least get back your $45

That assumes there's a demand for them. Yeah you might need a few extra gobbos and spider riders, but that's about it. And remember, spare gobbos come in the paint sets.

Ah well, whatever, I just got my three box sets, look for a thread in painting and modelling soon.

--Chris

Crazy Harborc
12-09-2006, 02:03
Toy collectors will snatch up box sets of 7th Ed. and not open them (worth more). (I know a few and they do grab an occassional GW box set of whatever)

Hey there are some gamers "somewhere";) who just want the Dwarvws from the SP box. Another just wants the Gobbos. Perhaps someone will oblige them and split up a box:angel: They don't know each other and aren't likely to wander into GW at the same time.

chris_valera
12-09-2006, 05:24
Toy collectors will snatch up box sets of 7th Ed. and not open them (worth more). (I know a few and they do grab an occassional GW box set of whatever)

Hey there are some gamers "somewhere";) who just want the Dwarvws from the SP box. Another just wants the Gobbos. Perhaps someone will oblige them and split up a box:angel: They don't know each other and aren't likely to wander into GW at the same time.

Fair enough, I would gladly sell a kidney for the elves and gobbos from the old box set.

As an added bonus, I'm selling off the mini-rulebooks on ebay, they're going for $10 each!

Ka-ching!

--Chris