PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings 500 pts - All-Mounted vs. Combined

Rhamag
04-09-2006, 12:15
I'm taking part in a "Tale of 'N' Gamers" at my local GW. I already have loads of TK stuff I've never painted so I picked them (cheating a little, but the staff let me off), but I'm struggling with a starting list. Common sense seems to indicate something like this:

Liche Priest (Cloak of Dunes, Hieratic Jar) - 165
20 Skeleton Archers (Champion, Standard) - 180
5 Light Horsemen (Standard) - 84
3 Carrion - 72

TOTAL: 496

But I really fancy doing something crazy (even at the expense of "winning") like this:

Liche Priest (Cloak of Dunes, Hieratic Jar) - 165
6 Heavy Horsemen (Standard) - 110
5 Light Horsemen (Standard) - 84
3 Chariots (Standard) - 140

TOTAL: 494

The first list would be operated as a stand-and-shoot force, with the carrion and cavalry blocking marches to allow for more shooting.

The second force would try to run around and pick their fights, and if I can hit an enemy unit with 2 or even 3 of my units at once, I should be able to keep the fights short and sweet - win combat (flank/rear charges, no ranks for opp.), auto-break (fear) and run-down.

Is there any chance of an all-mounted force winning any games at all? Can you suggest a better list for 500 pts?

All comments gratefully accepted.

Cheers.

10th clancannach rangers
04-09-2006, 16:23
I think that you will have trouble auto-breaking enemies with the 2nd list, unless you manage to get all your units charging the same enemy unit, perhaps you could go for a medium sized unit of skellies instead of some of the calvalry. Also as you seem to be using combat patrol rules, I think that you need at least one infantry unit of at least 10 minis anyway.

DirtJumper
04-09-2006, 16:58
Well, the Heavy cav and the charroits probrably woulden't have too many problems, as the are both US 12. Really the 2 lists you laid out there are the 2 lists possible with a TK army, go with whichever you like best.

Rhamag
06-09-2006, 20:20
Thanks for the comments. I'm going for All-Mounted, mainly because it's less to paint.

TheWarSmith
06-09-2006, 21:08
TK SUFFER horribly at low point games because of the necessary and vulnerable liche priest they have to take. I like list 2 better, but if you run list 1, break the archers up into 2 units of 10 and get rid of the command.

BigJon
07-09-2006, 06:53
With the new rules on making an enemy unit flee into another of you units for a whipe out I would go with list two. Run your Fast cav behind the enemy using your magic move and use your Chariots to charge in. Watch out, your character can now be picked out for shooting and magic since he's not in a unit, you might want to stick him on a steed with your heavy Cav and drop the cloak.

BigJon