PDA

View Full Version : Orc/Goblin Army help

Petrov_101
04-09-2006, 13:11
As a new player, I look forward to the release of 7th edition in the U.S. this week. I own, but have never played, the 6th edition box set. It has Empire and Orcs. So, my questions are:

1) Can the orcs in the previous version be combined with the Goblins in the new edition? I do not have the army book for orcs or goblins (are both armies in the same book?).

2) If I can combine the two, what would I be missing to form a solid core army?

3) There's a good chance my local store will drop the price on the few remaining 6th edition box sets. Probably 25% - 40% off. Would that be a good buy for the figs alone? Empire also interests me...

Thanks for the help...

DeathMasterSnikch
04-09-2006, 14:12
1)Yes, they can be combined

2) you wouldn't be missing a core really. You'd have 2 (or 3) units of goblins and a unit of boyz. Fine start of an army.

3) Perhaps, I was never impressed with the empire plastics from 6th so it's upto you. If you had the money to spare I'd recomend more orcs :p

MadJackMcJack
04-09-2006, 14:24
Don't get the 6th edition box! They've got those crappy one-pose models which don't rank up properly and arrer boys which are cack. Only good thing in that box Orc-wise is the chariot and the command groups.

Then again, if we're talking more then half price off, go for it. 25 or less would cover the chariot, command groups and Empire cannon, making the rest effectively free. Can never go wrong with free models.

GlynG
04-09-2006, 14:37
Don't get the 6th edition box! They've got those crappy one-pose models which don't rank up properly and arrer boys which are cack. Only good thing in that box Orc-wise is the chariot and the command groups.Uh... he did say he's already got it!

And I strongly disagree on the Arrer boyz - they used to rubbish at 8pts but now they're down to 6pts with the new choppa benefits they're actually really good and I plan on running half my orcs with bows (the other half then with the new choppa and shield combo). And the one piece models seem fine to me, though mixing them in with the more poseable orcs and a bit of conversion work can make them even better. Be warned you do have to Very Carefull when glueing them to their bases and setting them up to make sure they rank - particularly the Arrer Boyz.

I'd say you get a really good core army from the two boxed sets, which can be expanded in various ways depending which directions you fancy going in - savage orc boar boyz, black orcs, war machines, squig hoppers, giants, ect would all be good choices. The only things I'd you suggest you definitely need to buy would be a shaman and some fanatics for the night goblins.

EvC
04-09-2006, 14:50
Yes, Arrer Boyz are a great investment, if you're okay with an army that seems un-Orcy and won't look as good as a more fighty force. But it'd certainly be competitive, I'd love to start an archer-heavy force!

Camrion
04-09-2006, 22:40
I actually found the old 6th edition warhammer set with the forces split up and bagged for $40 each..then add 20% off..

16 crappy one-pose boyz, command (I'll have enough orcs that this doesn't bother me)
16 Arrer Boyz (Not available outside special order)
Chariot (This thing is nearly worth the set on its own)
Extra boar for mounted hero option

Chariots are really overpriced right now at $30 a box and odds are if you're playing orcs and goblins, you'll be buying enough regiment boxes to mix and match with the boyz from the set.

I found two of those bags and bought them both in a heartbeat. 2 Chariots, 70 orcs and a couple extra boars I'll be using my spare command sprues on to make meaner looking boar boyz: $80 at 20% off.. yes sir.

Camrion