PDA

View Full Version : Why do people mock people who like Warhammer etc?

UltimateNagash
04-09-2006, 15:45
This is pretty much the same topic as last time, but a far less misleading title. Sorry about last time as well... Anyway, same question as last time realy.

ThousandPlateaus
04-09-2006, 15:50
You might find some sage advice here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45679).

UltimateNagash
04-09-2006, 15:53
You might find some sage advice here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45679).

Yep, I know, I started that one, but it got closed because of my "evil" title. I was just wondering if anyone else could help me, or not...

Gaebriel
04-09-2006, 16:14
Because it's not about chasing girls, visiting the hippest parties, drinking till blackout, and doing other things that are considered a. the norm, and b. cool by the group of people who make up the norm...

Unnecessary to say, that the mocking is usually done by those who consider themselves the norm, and mostly by the younger audience. Being young and feeling insecure, they like to bond through norm rituals (s.a.) while at the same time maintaining a feeling of eliteness to bolster their fledgeling self-confidence. This bolstering process is done easiest by picking on those who seem different or sub par to themselves.

Once people grow older they will cease to mock. Once you grow older, you will be less interested if people mock. At an older age, such things are just considered "another hobby", or eccentrics.

Answered your question?

Bombot
04-09-2006, 16:18
Just a question Nagash – you ever mocked anyone that watches Big Brother (I use this example as you mentioned it in your last thread)? Answer truthfully now.

Darkseer
04-09-2006, 16:41
It raises interesting questions about 'the norm'.

It's considered the 'norm' to be lazy, unfit, smoke, take drugs, watch nothing but mindless television (soaps and Big Bruvva), go clubbin' and drink until you're sick, then wake up next to some ugly minger after a night of drunken intercourse.

I think I'm quite happy playing wargames with my friends, playing sport, watching the odd film, painting, writing and occasionally going to the pub...even if I don't have a girlfriend because I'm not 'the norm'.

Tymell
04-09-2006, 17:26
Just a question Nagash – you ever mocked anyone that watches Big Brother (I use this example as you mentioned it in your last thread)? Answer truthfully now.

*waves hand* Oh, oh! I have! And am proud of it! :D

Big Brother initially wasn't so bad a concept. I still stand by my personal statement that if you want to watch people just living, just go down to the living room for a while.

But since then it has steadily deteriorated to the point where it simply tries to entertain with grotesques and extremes, plus the people in it are very likely putting a lot of stuff on for show (or at the very least are selected by being extreme). Frankly I think a lot of soap operas are more "real" now.

Equally though, I wouldn't try to stop someone watching it nor interfere with it.

But I don't really see how it matches up to playing a wargame. :confused: I can't recall any time when warhammer has been accused of causing rape, for example.

UltimateNagash
04-09-2006, 17:27

No. I've said I find the programe boring and mind numbing, and brain rotting etc. But I haven't insulted people who watch it.
I say that I don't like something, and I don't mind people saying that to me. But they don't. They say it as if it were a fact.
Opinions I don't mind.
I accept people are different, but what I can't accept is when people mock the people who do it.

Oh, and the above question, they're a couple of months older than me.

EDIT: Sorry, but thanks for answering. Damn, too fast on my finger.

Tymell
04-09-2006, 17:30
As far as the actual OP about putting up with jerks who like to make fun of warhammer, meh, who cares? Look at it this way: the world contains about 6.5 billion people. Many of them will judge you for something: your race, gender, religion, country, accent, looks, musical tastes, weight, anything. It's what people do. And many will judge you badly because of those things, it's not fair, but it's what they do. So why worry about trying to please them? You're never going to make everyone in this world happy, so why pay particular attention to those who happen to be around you? If someone is small-minded enough to judge you because of a harmless hobby you enjoy, then frankly I think you should take comfort in the fact that that just means you're nothing like them.

EDIT: sorry for the near-double post thing, messed up on sending/editing.

Bombot
04-09-2006, 17:35
No. I've said I find the programe boring and mind numbing, and brain rotting etc. But I haven't insulted people who watch it.

Fair enough, just checking.

Anyway, you got my answer in the last thread. Laugh it off and move on.

Gaebriel
04-09-2006, 17:42
I say that I don't like something, and I don't mind people saying that to me. But they don't. They say it as if it were a fact.
Opinions I don't mind.

That's a sad reality of communication - many people are used to state their opinions as facts. This comes from not reflecting what they say, and from the socialized need to punch through one's own point of view (see my above post on establishing one self) - technically it's just opinions, rarely it's facts. Honestly, check how often you do that yourself - I often catch myself saying "it is" when I should rather say "I think", or "the way I see it".

Though good discussers are able to express their opinions as opinions, as well as get the point through...

So, what I'd want to say - look behind the sentence, and rethink why it's said.

(Building up a bias here as well, I know, but things rarely work without :( )

Venomizer
05-09-2006, 13:07
mainly, because as has been stated previously, Warhammer does not fit into the 'accepted' & 'normal' strands of everyday activity

the "norm" is generally considered as watching alot of TV (most of it for me is boring as sin anyway), getting totally sloshed in a nightclub which can end up on the odd occaision of waking up next to a complete munter

heck, it wasn't until the playstation generation that computer gaming became 'acceptable' in the mainstream

I'm perfectly happy playing a few wargames, having a couple of social drinks every now & then & playing some computer games - to hell with what people have to say about you, life's short enough as it is without dwelling on what a few people may think of you because of your hobbies & interests

Osbad
05-09-2006, 13:15
most of it for me is boring as sin anyway

So you find sin boring? Personally I can think of a few very interesting sins ... ;)

Suicide Messiah
05-09-2006, 16:45
So you find sin boring? Personally I can think of a few very interesting sins ...

Lol, Amen to that. My neighbours wife is looking pretty tasty right now...:p

As already said its really only the young teens that take the **** for playing warhammer. Personally ive never experienced this and ive been painting minis since i was about 5. Then again, im not an overly 'geeky' person and only talk about the hobby with people who are into it aswell.

UltimateNagash
05-09-2006, 17:01
It's late teens. They are 17.

Gaebriel
05-09-2006, 17:28
It's late teens. They are 17.
Without wanting to insult casual readers, but 17 is kids... Though you have to get far past that age to realize that - I don't trust the maturity of anyone under 21.

bob syko
05-09-2006, 18:53
I've never had anyone say anything bad about me because of my hobby, the most I ever get is when an auntie I haven't seen in ages says "Oh, you still do those do you".

whitra
05-09-2006, 21:59
I'm gonna get slammed for taking a contradictory view here, but a lot of warhammer players are a bit off in ways beyond playing with toy soldiers. There's some who lack hygiene, don't know how to socialize/make small talk, etc, and in my experience they seem like the one's who get picked on the most. But in those instances, I'm not so sure that their playing warhammer is the cause of being singled out, or merely an easy way of mocking them after they've been targeted for other reasons.

I can't remember anyone giving me crap about playing. I may have got a couple of looks when we played ancients at 10mm scale in our commons, but that was 'cause we had a bunch of unpainted models and half done scenary and it really did look silly. But I've also played battletech games, with fully painted models in the commons, and had people come up and engage me in conversation about the game.

So a lot of it is about presentation. If you get easily embarassed and treat others as if they're outsiders to your hobby, then yeah, you're gonna catch **** for it. But I've found that treating warhammer as a mature hobby (painting everything well, not getting into arguments over the game, etc) and most people will be cool with it. The one's who still aren't needn't concern you.

That did come off with a bit more blame-the-victim than I intended. There's no instance in which people doing more than playfully ribbing you for your hobby is excusable. But if you want to avoid that, it does help to give some thought to how you're presenting yourself and your hobby.

Edit: All the above, plus what nurglitch said earlier.

Bronka
06-09-2006, 01:43
Whitra, you make a hell of a lot of sense.

I think a lot of the ridicule is generally aimed at people who open themselves up to ridicule anyway, regardless of their wargames hobby. I'm part of a group and lifestyle that many would regard as 'cool' - my wargaming activities don't infringe on the 'cool' aspects of my lifestyle, and vice-versa. The 'cool' people I bother with know I play wargames, but I don't generally discuss it with them unless the conversation goes that way - if it does, I'm not shy about talking about it and people respect that.

On the other hand, if I was an overweight, unemployed, unhygenic bum living in my parent's basement, and insisted on talking about my wargaming hobby as if painting little soldiers made me a superior being, I'm sure people would think I was an ********. They'd probably ridicule me, and they'd probably be right to do so.

So I suppose my lesson is, don't let your nerdyness rule your life. Only let your nerdyness out when appropriate.

n00bLord
06-09-2006, 03:58
Ego, in my opinion it is a major factor in the cause of this misfortunate delimma of insulting others because of a hobby. Maturity is another, and aswell as what the person's back ground has subjected them to.

Alright you got the big 5"11-6"2 ish guy who looks like a donkey in the face and covered with stubble who excessively parties and is fairly buff comes up to a 5"7 frail in comparison shy guy (sterotype yes, but its important) and starts talking smack to him. Than the conversation ends up worse for the shorter of the two as he is afraid and just anrgy with out justification nor the ability to defend himself with out the use of insults due to his reclusion. So he gets laughed at and his ego is broken even more and he starts blaming what ever and life moves on from there.

I am 5"11 195 lbs and carry around an impressive beer gut that I never drank for. Well its not that large but its noticable. I am fairly young and I do not engage in the "norm" of things as in party and watch TV. TV disinterests me for the most part. I am extremely athletic, and love to just run and lift weights. But by not doing the "norm" and assosciated with electronical gaming and the like sets a stereotype on me. I participate in school sports (America) and am a starter in American Football, and I throw for track. I thought about playing soccer but I break out in hives in the cold. And these people know that I am atheletic but it doesn't matter since I have this 'evil' stereotype that alienates me from them. They are afraid of difference as they are single minded people for the most part who would ask "Why doesn't he do what we do?" sorta drill. I have beaten the crap outta people multiple times have broken bones in fights. Doesn't matter. I am associated with gaming and the like and that is what they think of first. The aspect in which they themselves don't understand why Me in this instance would do such a thing. They cannot comprehend it. (Typos galore)

Most people who are in highschool era are stupidily immature even if they think otherwise. I still am and I do stupid stuff so yeah I have immaturity in me. But this factor will never leave a person unless they are a vegetable. They have low self-esteem about themselves so they have to uplift it by bringing hell on another person. They won't admit it but the feeling of supiority is comforting to any one who doesn't like themselves that much.

Heck truthfully I used to hate myself for who I was because I wasn't well liked. Gotten over it and am now much happier. It took some several ass whoopins of select few individuals to help me, and it felt good to get back at them and kill their ego. Fighting isn't the best solution, but at this time period it will do wonders. As I had said I used to hate myself due to gaming because it brought judgement from others on me. Buck up and get a life. And bathe if you have to. Its also the selected victims fault by presenting himself when such judgement is past. This causes a good portion of his discord by his own actions. If you whine and attempt to say something with no affirmative voice you'll come across as weak and scared and they'll prolong the suffering for their own enjoyment.

I'll quit while I am ahead with this quazi essay. Enjoy your hobby and stand up for it with out bringing negative attention to yourselves!

FoolsJourney
06-09-2006, 13:15
Sorry guys, but a lot of our number ARE bereft of social skills (and that's not necessarily an insult- we're taught all sorts of **** in school, but none of these skills for life that will be of real use) and ARE geeks that are either unwashed or dressed by their mother. Likewise, they appear totally asexual, and seldom have a girlfriend (or bf if so inclined). They communicate in varying monotonous shouts and grunts, sounding something like a Dalek on Mogodons, changing pitch only when they get excited about a new bit of fluff.

These aren't the greatest size of our number of course, but any sizeable minority of that magnitude is enough to anchor stereotypes, as every other social grouping has experienced. All English football fans are hooligans, all blacks are massively endowed muggers and pimps, all Muslims are baby killing ragheads and all Californian women are either size 6 silicon supermodels or size 30 cattletrucks. It's not a phenomena that will ever go away.

Bombot
06-09-2006, 13:26
So, in summary:

1) Some school kids are thick, immature bullies who will pick on whoever they can;

2) Some Warhammer players are smelly social retards who will get picked on by whoever is passing.

Darth_Blade
06-09-2006, 13:36
So, in summary:

1) Some school kids are thick, immature bullies who will pick on whoever they can;

2) Some Warhammer players are smelly social retards who will get picked on by whoever is passing.

LOL yes that sums it up rather neatly!:)

idinos
07-09-2006, 09:33
Children are cruel; they will always find a way to make other children feel bad. Hopefully they will be taught about human society as opposed to the tribe they live in when young and fully(-ish) integrate. If an adult continues to act like that then they are either sociopaths or their parents didn't pay enough attention to them, so they are unable to function in society but continue to identify with their tribe. It has nothing to do with wargaming or partying, you belong to a different tribe and they try to hurt you. In turn, they are hurt by others, or even you, although you don't do it to their face, either because they have a stronger tribe and you can't or you have integrated into human society and don't care. You might not even play wargames, they'd probably make fun of you for wearing big shoes, there is always a way.

3 0f 6
07-09-2006, 09:36
Maybe alot of people who "mock" us, have sexual inadiquecy (sp) issues?

You know what i think i hit the nail on the head

Adept
07-09-2006, 22:51
Because Warhammer fans tend to be anti-social geeks who spaz easily, and are thus amusing and easy to tease.

Said it first, said it best.

Ethereal
10-09-2006, 05:09
I dont get teased, and have "norm" friends who have seen my armies and were actually quite impressed. It's probably about attitude now i think about it...

Also, earlier in the thread some people were saying that"warhammer doesn't cause any harm" and other go lucky fuzzy feel good stuff. Fact is, i have seen broken hands over warhammer, ive seen people stealing to pay for gw (thats right gw not drugs) and ive seen people lose friendships from gw. I guess it is pretty controlling over your life if you are a collector.

thommo
10-09-2006, 10:34
Because Warhammer fans tend to be anti-social geeks who spaz easily, and are thus amusing and easy to tease.

So, in summary:

Fully agree with the above...however i do believe that war gamers don't have the monopoly on being teased and picked on...when you're young virtually anyone who stands out in a non sporting / non partying / non drinking way will get teased. People who are good at maths, good at music, have a few too many spots, wear specs, have a curfew, grow stubble earlier than their mates etc etc have all experienced some teasing and bullying.

When you're young it's something that happens and you've got to get through it...it does stop the older you get, or at least become good natured teasing rather than "bullying".

Nineswords
10-09-2006, 11:36
The important thing to remember is: who cares? If you like it, you like it. It occurs to me that anyone who mocks you for being into GW simply means they dont have an imagination.

Insane Psychopath
10-09-2006, 17:52
It raises interesting questions about 'the norm'.

It's considered the 'norm' to be lazy, unfit, smoke, take drugs, watch nothing but mindless television (soaps and Big Bruvva), go clubbin' and drink until you're sick, then wake up next to some ugly minger after a night of drunken intercourse.

I think I'm quite happy playing wargames with my friends, playing sport, watching the odd film, painting, writing and occasionally going to the pub...even if I don't have a girlfriend because I'm not 'the norm'.

I'm with Darkseer.

Sure I do go out to parties with friends who I know through 40k but the parties had people from my local GW who we get on with, there people from college & my friend said there all his friends from work & other place come along.

But other than that, like Darkseer, I rather watch movies, go out & see Bands I am into playing live, play 40k/build stuff since I got a skill that converting & it is why I am in a HNC Model Making course. So like anyone with skill be it music or what not I want to gain more experince & rise my skills.

I don't drink, I never take drugs nor smoke as why would I want to ruin my health & I rarely play comnputer games because it hurt my eyes, so for me 40k is sort of my life as well as hanging with friends & going to see Metal bands live. However no one really mock me. Sure in High School a few Neds try be a**hole to me, sure my friend above his ex-girlfriend was a psycho. But everone else I know, know it is my hobby & when they see my conversion & painting skill they enjoy it & ask me about my hobby & most them are really hot girls that ether pop into GW for there brother or have look around or my fellow college girl class mates & any girl I went out with have understood about my hobby & again like what they seen.

It case of my friends are alright & find my stuff cool as said, so they don't mock me & I don't mock them for drinking, smokeing, taken drugs. Also as said this hobby got me into the college course I do today, as Model Making (if you do the building type) dose offer a s*** load of money for a good job, more so than any s***y super market Job, I make about 10 times as much for one good model than spending a month in a supermarket working full hour shifts.

No one really beaten me up just for playing Warhammer, in fact no one dare fight me because of past fights that have happen. Just people (Neds, Chav) try picking on me because I was small in High School, but they where sadly mistaken.

End of the day I can really careless what people say about me with this hobby or same gose for my metal bands I am into. As everone got there own teaste & if someone judge me, I can easly return to mocking back that them, like my friend ex-girlfriend lol, she really dose hate me.

If people hate me because of my hobby screw them.

On the topic of big brother, I hate it because it award dumass people money for nothing really. While there other out there going through hell to make end meat. I find you should only earn what you work for.

IP

UltimateNagash
10-09-2006, 18:00
Never heard of Neds before.
BTW, I wouldn't consider the people I'm talking about friends, they're just people I know.
And I do feel BB is a bad concept done badly...

Bombot
11-09-2006, 09:53
Ned is basically the Scottish equivalent of chav.

rikard
11-09-2006, 11:40
Because the vast majority of people are exceptionally shallow and see it as "toys" they lack understanding and generally posses an IQ equal to the number of fingers on the hand of a blind butcher whilst lacking a single creative bone in their entire body.

I get sick of these idiots

and no I'm not a geek before anyone asks (fitness instructor, personal trainer, sports massage thearapist, nutritional consultant, amature bodybuilder and scuba diving instructor)

lomo
12-09-2006, 00:06
This might be the saddest thread I have ever read.

However this problem all arises from 70% of wargamers having a Superiority complex.

Tooooon
12-09-2006, 00:19
Well, I personally fit the criteria of both.

I enjoy 40k and the whole aspect of it, yet im lazy and unfit. Indeed I dont smoke, or drink (just simply dont like the taste of it lol) also.

I dont really show off that im into wargaming and such, but on the other hand at my age group (16-20 odd) its not exactly something I would want to be showing off anyhoo considering society at this time.

And to be honest, some people who do play wargames do fit their stereotype and make it worse for other players who just play for fun when they feel like it, if you get what im trying to say.

Then again, all the above may sound ridiculess because im typing late at night and my right eye is stinging (ouch)

~Dave

AaronS
12-09-2006, 01:39
I'm surprised at most of this. For a Computers class, I did a PowerPoint on "How to Paint a Space Marine" I knew I'd get ridiculed and ignored when I presented, but my whole class was like 'ZOMGWTFBBQ YOU PAINTED THAT??!11" (It wasn't even very good) And most people I've told about Wh40k were like, "Dude, thats not nerdy, that sounds kind of cool, actually" I'm a sophmore in high school in the states. Maybe there's more of a stigma about this hobby in England?

Cap'n Umgrotz
12-09-2006, 01:48
I'd say they mock ya for the same reason they do most stuff: Boredom.
Very little malicious thought, just large amounts of boredom.
Once I realised all the bullies in my school didn't actually care about me, and were just bored, it was a breeze.
Boredom:Responsible for more than you give it credit for ;)

muskrat
12-09-2006, 06:52
I'm kind of dissapointed here- what's with all the harsh words against people who go out and party and drink? Leave drinking alone! I'm currently sitting in a room filled with empty boxes and loose sprues, and it's a mess from my hobby, and yeah I'm a hella geek.

But that doesn't mean I can't have non-geek friends also and do non-geek stuff, like go out and get hammered or go and actually speak to (let alone retain a relationship with) a woman.

If you're being teased about your hobby, don't moan and **** about how the cool jocks are being mean- suck it up, and accept the fact that not everyone is going to be nice to you in the world, nor are they going to accept and glorify things you do. I mean, look at it, half the posts here are directly insulting to the supposed "norm" that has been presented, saying that "those people" who go out and have a social life and such are just typical ****tards and are being mean just for the sake of it.

Yet, the very people who are moaning about being teased come and cry about it on a public forum and insult their way of living.

No one is ever going to accept you 100%, period, amen, end of story, fin. I've dated the same girl for a year now, and have had a friendship with a guy for as long as I have been mentally conscious, and neither of them play warhammer. My friend mocks my hobby sometimes, sure- but he has his interests that I don't like and I tell him so too. My girlfriend thinks it's cute watching me play and giggles when I tell my opponent that Chaos is coming for them- but I'm not going to to berate her for it.

By accepting the fact that you truly will not be able to make yourself acceptable to everyone in the world right now, you will live a happier life trying to just understand and please yourself- please, no masturbation jokes, as I'm sure this is meant to be a somewhat serious thread.

whiteshields1830
12-09-2006, 06:58
people dont mock me...maybe cause i dont tell them i play warhammer...

Dspankdo
12-09-2006, 14:10
Whats a chav? and on a completely offtopic note anyone ever noticed that a massive amount of gamers are called dave

Cap'n Umgrotz
12-09-2006, 14:20
YES!
Yes I have.
It's a damned conspiracy.
On chav, skanger, ned, scobe, or whatever: Someone who wears tracksuits, enages in anti-social behaviour and whatnot. A scumbag. Y'know, with the always wearing baseball caps and drinking in public etc.

UltimateNagash
12-09-2006, 16:03
I'm kind of dissapointed here- what's with all the harsh words against people who go out and party and drink? Leave drinking alone! I'm currently sitting in a room filled with empty boxes and loose sprues, and it's a mess from my hobby, and yeah I'm a hella geek.

But that doesn't mean I can't have non-geek friends also and do non-geek stuff, like go out and get hammered or go and actually speak to (let alone retain a relationship with) a woman.

If you're being teased about your hobby, don't moan and **** about how the cool jocks are being mean- suck it up, and accept the fact that not everyone is going to be nice to you in the world, nor are they going to accept and glorify things you do. I mean, look at it, half the posts here are directly insulting to the supposed "norm" that has been presented, saying that "those people" who go out and have a social life and such are just typical ****tards and are being mean just for the sake of it.

Yet, the very people who are moaning about being teased come and cry about it on a public forum and insult their way of living.

No one is ever going to accept you 100%, period, amen, end of story, fin. I've dated the same girl for a year now, and have had a friendship with a guy for as long as I have been mentally conscious, and neither of them play warhammer. My friend mocks my hobby sometimes, sure- but he has his interests that I don't like and I tell him so too. My girlfriend thinks it's cute watching me play and giggles when I tell my opponent that Chaos is coming for them- but I'm not going to to berate her for it.

By accepting the fact that you truly will not be able to make yourself acceptable to everyone in the world right now, you will live a happier life trying to just understand and please yourself- please, no masturbation jokes, as I'm sure this is meant to be a somewhat serious thread.

I personnally don't see the attraction in getting drunk, but I won't mock those who do it: it's there choice.
Oh, and they're not "cool jocks".
And you say glorify what I'm doing. I just don't understand why they can't accept what I do is different to them, and just leave it at that.
I have a social life, and get on with girls far more than what I see most people do - it's not a relationship or anything. It's just people who are friends that are different sexes.
I guess some people are just going to be annoying and harsh about anything different from their point of view, and I just have to accept it.

Bombot
12-09-2006, 18:09
Whats a chav? and on a completely offtopic note anyone ever noticed that a massive amount of gamers are called dave

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

grickherder
12-09-2006, 18:50
I haven't ever seen anyone mock Warhammer players that wasn't a wargamer that was into (percieved) better games and was just mocking the WH/40k player for spending so much money on a (percieved) inferior product.

I played RPGs throughout highschool and people never mocked us about that either. It was during the height of "RPGs are evil" nonsense (if you think stuff like that goes on now, it was 100 times as intense in the late eighties and early nineties), so some people were afraid of us, but no one ever mocked.

deadkez
12-09-2006, 20:32
anyone ever noticed that a massive amount of gamers are called dave

The biggest wh fan in my old gaming group when I was a teen was called Dave. He's a now a gw store manager!

BrainFireBob
12-09-2006, 22:08
To address the original, pertinent query:

Because they're meaney poo-poo heads! And they're smelly!

Seriously, no matter what you do, there's an insecure idiot whose ideas of manhood/self-worth are externally derived, who will mock you for it to try and derive a sense of superiority for not being you- and it won't work for them. Don't give them satisfaction by being needled, just recognize that frankly, they're pathetic.

Tooooon
13-09-2006, 00:40

Well, I personally am David. I just use dave since its easier to type on here ;) lol

~Dave

marv335
13-09-2006, 01:01
i don't generally get mocked for my hobby.
i have other hobbies too.
i snowboard, scuba dive, and rock climb.
i do karate and aikido.
i play in a band, drive a sports car and have a girlfriend.
geek? don't think it applies really.

idinos
13-09-2006, 09:55
You shouldn't feel you have to defend yourself for playing warhammer, who cares if you have physical activity hobbies or if you're a geek, at my local store most of the people are white collar professionals in the City, labelling others makes you no better than those who mock warhammer players, so you're not a geek, other people who play it are, what's your point?

Tymell
13-09-2006, 13:44

Yes. I personally know 4 daves, all of which are Warhammer players. Also made more odd when noted that David isn't in the top 10 most popular names in the U.K.

Nineswords
13-09-2006, 14:35
I found my old school diary from '96. Someone had decided to cancel all my events/work to do and scrawl on in large letter 'NATIONAL ORC WEEK'. Awesome.

kris.sherriff
15-09-2006, 01:03
i don't generally get mocked for my hobby.
i have other hobbies too.
i snowboard, scuba dive, and rock climb.
i do karate and aikido.
i play in a band, drive a sports car and have a girlfriend.
geek? don't think it applies really.

You forgot to mention that you are in the military and have a large collection of swords that if anyone did mock you you would cut their arm off with ;o)
you geek

I drive a better sports car (ok maybe not lol) have a girlfriend, play sports and do everything I can to fit in but still get lagthed at for playing arsehammer.
Oh well

He Who Laughs
15-09-2006, 03:52
Most of this has been said before - but this is my honest take on the GW nerd debate.

A good proportion of those Warhammer players that cop the "geek" slander, actually deserve it. It's even present in this thread. When people talk and act like their superior to others with their articulated and annunciated speech, and their flamboyant writing style - they tend to get cut down due to the "tall poppy syndrome". No one wants to listen to someone whose acting like a pompous toss-pot. Personally, it irritates me.

When you think about it, every one who has more than a passing interest in anything can be considered a geek. I cringe when I hear Warhammer "geeks" getting overly excited over the stat-line of their latest character or unit in comparison vs something else (eg: OMG! This Clan Eshin list will pwn everything on the table, look at my hardcore list!!!). I also cringe for the same reason, when I hear footy "geeks" get overly excited over how their favourite player is performing in the current season.

It's exactly the same. Warhammer players get excited over new models. Footy fans get excited over tries and touchdowns. They're both geeks, obsessed with their hobby/interest.

It's just that getting barred up over footy is socially acceptable. Getting barred up over the latest Daemonette models is not.

For those that get bullied or laughed at for their Warhammer interests- realise that;
a) they're probably complete retards, that only laugh because they wouldn't be able to understand the rules even if Rick Pristley sat down with them and took them through it line by line, and played out all the rules on the tabletop as he went through them. They'll end up in dead end jobs (if they even get a job), addicited to crack with a family of illegitimate children belonging to five different mothers. Suck it up, and laugh at them when your a high paid professional. I do.

b) you're part of the problem. Get out once in a while. Experience life. Don't act like you're superior because you understand the game, look down on people that like to get drunk occasionally, can talk like an Oxford scholar and think that you're sophisticated. I laugh at you people too.

Peace out

Smoking Frog
15-09-2006, 05:12

I wouldn't call that the norm, it's just prevalent amongst the younger generation whom are between 15-24 years of age. They'll either grow out of that or continue down that path. Either way, nothing for any of us to be concerned about, I hope.

He Who Laughs has it about right. While it's certainly not fair that people will go out of their way to deride our beloved hobby of wargaming, it's equally unfair for wargamers to go out of their way to reciprocate those feelings back towards whence they came.

Essentially, roll with the punches, take it like a man, and another clichéd catch-phrase in that respect etc etc. You really only encourage more ill-feelings by responding in kind, so ignoring it is often the best thing to do.

Why do they do it in the first place? The answer is simple. Why does one put down someone for watching a show like Big Brother (before you assume anything, I cannot stand that show, I honestly feel like my mind is oozing out of various holes when I accidentally flick to the program)?

Simply, most people are insecure with who they are or what is alien to them, and that insecurity manifests itself in various ways. Some lie about themselves, others try to please everyone, and some mock, deride and put down what they don't understand/what's different/what's not a social norm.

So, to your question, "Why do people mock people who like Warhammer etc?", the answer is plain. People who do mock are usually insecure about what's unknown or not normal to them, or feel insecure at who they are. This manifests itself into fear, anxiety and derisive corrosiveness.

Something like that, anyway... I should write a book methinks, or lay off my vast collection of cigars, either way... :)

Astromarine
15-09-2006, 12:16
whoa, a Nurglitch post that I agree with!

ghost21
15-09-2006, 12:56
hi there dudes, time for my 2 cents or watever

a) im disabled and i have to admit pritty ugly (curly red hair ftw) and i have a self destructive stage that has left alot of marks

b) ive recieved more flak for how i look than my hoby infact the most of the people i know i nerds/geeks etc .
but i feel i comunicate better than them. and once i get to know people girls etc im usualy asked out so alot of it is comincation

c) i do larp (live action role play) but never get mocked there and more people i know there have g/fs than most of the norms ie chaves neds etc that i know, infact our "club" is run by a girl a highly insane one but a girl never the less that, and a guy whos more goofy than me

d) i do have a complete $£@@ who i went to school with (some 20 years ago) who sees it his personal mission to mock me but hes a ***** and atlough i may get upset but i ignore it for the most part

e)i dont watch mutch tv infact i just use it as moving walpaper while i play wow

block out those who mock / verbaly abuse you they are ****** have no self asteem and probably will die lonley and unapreciated

Tymell
15-09-2006, 13:53
A good proportion of those Warhammer players that cop the "geek" slander, actually deserve it. It's even present in this thread. When people talk and act like their superior to others with their articulated and annunciated speech, and their flamboyant writing style - they tend to get cut down due to the "tall poppy syndrome". No one wants to listen to someone whose acting like a pompous toss-pot. Personally, it irritates me.

I agree with most of that, there are some who seem to fit this stereotype. But at the same time if someone genuienelly thinks less of me just because I play warhammer then I'm sorry but I have every right to feel superior. I don't automatically assume people are like that, nor label anyone who doesn't play or understand the game as anything, and I haven't actually seen many people (above the age of 12 at least) acting better because of their knowledge of it. But if someone makes it quite clear that they think badly of me because of that then I tend to dismiss them then and there.

I try not to give into labelling anyone who doesn't like warhammer a thoughtless *****, I know perfectly that that's not true. But someone who actually does mock people just because of warhammer is getting close to that.

marv335
15-09-2006, 15:39
You forgot to mention that you are in the military and have a large collection of swords that if anyone did mock you you would cut their arm off with ;o)
you geek

I drive a better sports car (ok maybe not lol) have a girlfriend, play sports and do everything I can to fit in but still get lagthed at for playing arsehammer.
Oh well

yes well, i've got more swords than you.
and a bow.
:D

and that's not sports car,
it's a crisp packet with a turbo
;)

prince_dios
15-09-2006, 19:18
Semi-relatedly, does anyone else get annoyed at the following:

1) "I wish I had time for that sort of thing hur hur hur." Translation: you have too much time on your hands -or- I'm really self-important and don't realize that I'm insulting you. To the dozen people in Asia who really are too busy to have a hobby, you're exempt.

2) "I'd play, but I'm not rich!" Right, we're a bunch of millionaires. Warhammer isn't all that expensive, for a hobby. How much does a bag of golf clubs cost? An ATV? Try multiplying the number of DVDs in your friend's anime collection by $25.

kris.sherriff
16-09-2006, 00:16
and that's not sports car,
it's a crisp packet with a turbo
;)

Cost of fixing Kris's 'Sports' car when it brakes £30
Cost of putting a new engine in Marv's Sports car when the old one just falls out £1400 :p

And mine is a limited edition (and will be even more limited if I crash it again :cries: )
Renault 5's rule lol

Cycorax
17-09-2006, 21:41
Well isnt it obvious? To be honest it is a pretty geeky hobby, you cant deny that, its just an easy to thing to rip on people for and the people who collect it tend to little wormy people who cant fight back in any way! It's really mean but you just gotta live with it. Hmm i'm the only person i know who collects Warhammer and does the "typical" teen stuff like getting too drunk to stand and etc etc... But hey i dont care if people rip on me for it, i've got loads of freinds who dont give a crap that im into it :) . If someone resents you as a freind for doing something you love and enjoy then screw them in my opinion :D.

Dat Wildboy
17-09-2006, 21:42
what, literally?

;)

Cycorax
17-09-2006, 21:49
:D haha! nooo you silly potato :skull: .

Lucky
18-09-2006, 12:42
The stigma is part of the reason I departed the hobby years ago, high school is tough man! These days I'm older, I can handle the odd look/ word. Realising that what strangers/ jerks say doesn't matter is such a big step but it's one of the young/ old dividers (not saying I'm old!).

UltimateNagash
21-09-2006, 09:46
I gave up on caring. Oh, and that anime collection: that's mine...It won't be long before I'll be away from idiots like that forever...

Bazhrak
04-10-2006, 17:48
I've never been mocked because i play warhammer. I get mocked for my political wiew( i'm probably the only communist who's in to Warhammer).

Anyhow people like me get mocked because we act superior and sometimes are superior in IQ to the people who mock us. Or because society has put a stigma on it.

So anyhow if you feel like mocking someone then please mock me for my political wiew. Go on, i can take it.

jfrazell
04-10-2006, 19:22
:D
I've never been mocked because i play warhammer. I get mocked for my political wiew( i'm probably the only communist who's in to Warhammer).

Anyhow people like me get mocked because we act superior and sometimes are superior in IQ to the people who mock us. Or because society has put a stigma on it.

So anyhow if you feel like mocking someone then please mock me for my political wiew. Go on, i can take it.

Well Steiner's a socialist so you have some company. However, its my contention that you're not a "communist" until you actually lived under a communist regime, until then get a job ya bum! :eek:

More to the point this whole geek thing whatever goes out the window by about 25. At that point: married with kids, call me a geek, call me a dork, just don't call me late for dinner.

Geek/dork/jock/brainiac/shmoozer whatever. When your kids hit 13 you'll still be lame and they'll still be embarrassed when you are in the same room with them and their friends.

whatever3690
09-10-2006, 12:30
one simple word... immuturity.
i think anyone can agree with me on that word... no matter how mature people claim to be if they are going to mock something that someone else takes an interest in then they are immiture. i dont care what other people think and neither should anyone else. you can still pick up chicks when you do this hobby and you can still have heaps of mates but the trick certainly is not to use it as a first impression.

Nachtmeister
09-10-2006, 12:58
Warhammer players also get mocked because people who mock them now have been mocked by said players when they entered a gaming store out of curiosity.
I've wittnessed such things several times when fairly "normal" guys are lured into a game store by the beautiful minis on the shelves and try to pick up a display game they tend to get laughed at by those geeky permanent residents of the store ( you know who I mean, every store that sells GW products has some of these guys who seem to be there day and night). That's why I only enter the store to buy stuff: never talk to those guys, you might meet them in public and they will give you all sorts of gibberish about their opinion on statlines and why which rule is broke and suchlike. Try to avoid those people at all costs, they're fairly damaging to anyones reputation.

A neutral shade of black.
09-10-2006, 13:15
Simple, synthetic answer: the worlds if 95% of idiots. Unfortunately, most people are too intellectually challenged to understand imagination or indeed, anything other than sex, alcohol, cars and football. Same reason shows like Jackass and Dirty Sanchez prosper and shows like Firefly don't, really.

Jellicoe
09-10-2006, 13:50
Well Steiner's a socialist so you have some company.

Anarchist not socialist I think! but then these lefties are always factionalising and splitting;)

The Keeper of Secrets
09-10-2006, 16:32
Without wanting to insult casual readers, but 17 is kids... Though you have to get far past that age to realize that - I don't trust the maturity of anyone under 21.

Ooooooooh!! Im 15 and I'm mature......ish :angel:

Yeah anyway, everything's pretty much been covered. People who jugde people for their hobbys and intrests are basically ******. And if everybody did what was considered "the norm", then the entire world would be a very boring place.

Marduk
09-10-2006, 17:51
I want to comment on this subject and shed some light to alot of you guys who may be ignorant to alot of things and also to explain the good and bad points about "this hobby", which many of these social issues have become, in part also because of attitudes and other things by "SOME" gamers.

First up I have been off and on into GW since around 1987, I am going to be 28 in November, taking graphic design next semester and I am no stranger to this genre of gaming. I have only recently ( ie the last few years ) got into the gaming aspect of GW titles, having been more into the creative painting and hobby aspect prior to this.

Like it or not there is a large percentage of people who are into both traditional RPG gaming and Wargaming who honestly give these hobbies a very bad opinion by what people call nerds or geeks, alot has been said already but I have never not met "Steriotypical" gamers, alot these guys ( very rare that its females ) have some really bad social interaction and hygene issues, many of them can also come off like they are intellectual ********s, some even being very arrogant.

Think about this, say you were one of the "normal" people and you walked past a GW store for the first time and saw all the cool looking minis, you decided to pop in and suddenly there is some heavily overweight kid or adult who smells like a childs diaper talking like he is some rocket scientist with a snobby attitude over rules and all sorts of stuff. What do YOU guys think the average "normal" person would feel or think about a person like that ? Probably turned off or wanting to laugh at them right ?

I think alot of you would be lying if you tried to say you have never met this kind of gamer in your life, cause I have been all over, big and small cities and been to more than one gaming store and I can tell you almost every single one of them contains at least one of these bafoons, and it is these exact people who are normaly the main problem with alot of society making fun of these kinds of hobbies, they are as much an enemy to the hobby as some 18 year old skater kid who wants to smoke pot drink at parties and try $%^@ girls and laugh at you, because they do not understand the concepts or aspects of GW gaming.

Coming off to these kinds of people in a wanabe intellectual manner or snobby, even though you may be right is just going to make them more angry or dislike you even more, its ok to and you should stick up for yourselves if people give you $^%@ for you interests, of course people who would make fun of another for their interests is shallow, but there are sometimes better ways to handle these people without furthering public views on gaming.

The real world does not always view things how you do or behave how you would like them to.

I am a pretty rare case to this hobby and I can speak from being on both sides of the fence, I used to be a pretty stupid and destructive person, no different and in some cases worse than alot of these people who may make fun of this hobby.

When I was 18 I was engaged, my gf started stripping and got into a drug habbit lost her kid, there was nothing I could do to help her and I got to a very bad point in my life, I lost my job and made some horrible choices ( on top of being in a city with over 8 jails and little work ), after that I sunk to an even bigger low, doing about $200 snot up my nose every two days, most of my friend all sat around shooting up, I luckily chose to never use a needle, I even saw the odd mother cooking garbage up in spoons and injecting that into their arms while their kids were sitting around watching tv even seeing that. I knew I had to get out of that lifestyle because I would end up dead or in jail.

I am not proud I was like that but I am proud I was able to turn my life around through hobbies and decided to do the right thing.

So I got a pc and decided to get back into painting when I stopped that lifestyle, since then I have been clean, I hardly even drink anymore and I got down to around 4 cigs a day, painting and getting into army building has helped me get over alot of that bad lifestyle I was used to, it helped me realise I can have fun and enjoy life without resorting to drug use or doing some "normal" so called cool stuff other people do ( and I asure you alot more people are into certain things that what you may think or what you may see ).

So there is nothing wrong with being into GW for a hobby, nothing nerdy or geeky about it, unless of course you choose to act in ways that turn people right off and that make you look like a social reject freak, I understand some people have social issues and choose to avoid alot of stupid and dangerous forms of entertainment, this is a positive choice too and dont let anyone try to put you down for your interests, if they do...get some backbone, this does not mean you have to give them a shot to the head or anything but dont be afraid to tell them where to go or turn the mirror on them too, if you act like a coward and let people walk all over you because they in turn are also insecure, then thats what they will do...walk all over you.

For the record I have never had anyone give me lip about the dif hobbies I am into, but I will tell you this I would not put up with that. There are shallow people out there though. Me personaly I dont look like a geek but I have no problem with how people look, I look at a "normal" person the same way as I do someone who may have glasses or zits or poor dress issues, just as long as they wash every 2 days you know, I dont like judging people but I dont like people who come off as being arrogant superior %^3&heads either.

Just some stuff to think about.

Pravus
10-10-2006, 16:21
Simple answer to a simple question: Most people think playing with toy soldiers is ridiculous and childish. Moreover, most people cannot tolerate other people doing things they think are ridiculous or childish and so they apply social censure in the form of ridicule to get you to stop. Also, it makes them feel superior because the weight of public opinion is behind them. A group of people exhibit this behaviour even more strongly because the mob mentality feeds the censure - no one wants to be seen to be NOT ridiculing the "geek" in case their group thinks they are a closet geek themselves.

Thing is, you could replace "playing with toy soldiers" with any other socially "unacceptable" practice and you'd still get the same pattern of behaviour.

If I were to offer advice to anyone here I would say this. Learn to tolerate what other people do to enjoy themselves. If you can accept another's foibles/hobbies/obsessions they are much more likely to accept yours.

Tymell
10-10-2006, 18:29
Simple answer to a simple question: Most people think playing with toy soldiers is ridiculous and childish. Moreover, most people cannot tolerate other people doing things they think are ridiculous or childish and so they apply social censure in the form of ridicule to get you to stop. Also, it makes them feel superior because the weight of public opinion is behind them. A group of people exhibit this behaviour even more strongly because the mob mentality feeds the censure - no one wants to be seen to be NOT ridiculing the "geek" in case their group thinks they are a closet geek themselves.

Thing is, you could replace "playing with toy soldiers" with any other socially "unacceptable" practice and you'd still get the same pattern of behaviour.

If I were to offer advice to anyone here I would say this. Learn to tolerate what other people do to enjoy themselves. If you can accept another's foibles/hobbies/obsessions they are much more likely to accept yours.

Brings up an interesting point: I guess to some people playing games with toy soldiers isn't acceptable but sending real ones off to die is.

[NOTE: Most definitely not trying to stray this topic onto current events or anything, just noting something that sprang up.]

redeye
10-10-2006, 19:45
Okay here’s a very short history lesson. Before Playstation 1 was released Sony knew that generally speaking people that played computer and video games were considered geeks, childish and nerdy. Very much like Warhammer then.
They knew that to overcome this they had to change attitude make it cool, make it accessible. Their advertising campaign changed the market forever, now we don’t think twice if our grown up colleagues come to work talking about what videogame there playing or if granddad is playing on the computer or what so and so is playing on their mobile phone, but that wouldn’t have happened in the early 90s.

NOW I’m not saying wargaming will ever be cool or GW will ever advertise or market to anybody except kids because they’re not that clever.GW only advertise to thier own customers they dont raise awareness to other markets that might be interested in their products.

What I am saying is there is a reason why people have the attitudes they do and why a disproportionate amount of folks lacking in social skills are involved in this scene, perhaps because there naturally not bothered what others think anyway.

Bombot
10-10-2006, 21:07
What I am saying is there is a reason why people have the attitudes they do and why a disproportionate amount of folks lacking in social skills are involved in this scene, perhaps because there naturally not bothered what others think anyway.

In the case of those you refer to, I think itís more to do with getting away from reality. Why care that girls think you smell if youíre Thuruk the Barbarian who can smite his foes with one swing of his mighty axe?

Still, most gamers I know are perfectly normal and yes I guess donít care so much what others think of them.

Z-chan
10-10-2006, 21:38
Its one thing to be considered "of the norm" and to be "decent". I may be heavily into the gaming hobby as a while, but that doesn't stop me from ensuring that whenever I leave the house I smell nice or having a life outside of the hobby or engaging in stupid pointless fanboy "NO U" discussions.

I believe its okay to do the hobby of your choice, be it football or tabletop gaming as long as you know the limits...

redeye
10-10-2006, 22:31
In the case of those you refer to, I think itís more to do with getting away from reality. Why care that girls think you smell if youíre Thuruk the Barbarian who can smite his foes with one swing of his mighty axe?

Still, most gamers I know are perfectly normal and yes I guess donít care so much what others think of them.

Sure I totally agree, I was just responding the phenomena of the socially challenged often refereed to in this thread and others.
I have never been to a Games Day for instance so I was confused about the number of posts that refered to 'the smell'

The only thing I would say its not warhammer fans that are at fault, but people just dont know and thats down to lack of awareness. They pass A GW store full of kids and thats all the information they need to know.

I was with my girlfriend, I play videogames and read comics but this never draws comments. I was however reading a black library book an anthology that I took on holiday with me, her eyes spotted the logo the comment was 'Warhammer?, now that is geeky!'

Not that really matters what people think but you have to ask the question why is this cool and this isnt? or not.

escape_dan
10-10-2006, 23:05
Can't really add much but I've never really had any problems from people.

I think this is because

1) Im not socially inept or anything like that
2) I wash ;-) I even have long hair but thats washed more then some girls I know! ha :-D

Some of my friends give me the old "its a bit nerdy" but we always just laugh it off. I just explain how I bloody love painting the things up and is a great way to cool down and relax.

The people who I am with mostly are all intelligent guys (Music students at HND level) and some even come out the closet when I said Im into Warhammer, they go "woah, I did that when I was a kid!" So its quite funny in that respect. I guess I live quite a "normal" lifestyle - I enjoy going to see my local football team, Notts County, enjoy going out down town having a few beers and stuff, never had a problem with the ladies! Thats never affected my hobby as I like to lead a varied life I guess? lol

I've always been active in the local music scene for years and its scary how many muso's have been into Warhammer at some point, especially in the metal scene!

Osbad
11-10-2006, 10:07
To answer the original question.

"Normal" people mock people who play Warhammer because they assume we are all like this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1DFsEQk7X4&NR

Fortunately we aren't all like him, but the stereotype is prevalent enough to have stuck.

If you *are* like this guy, then go out and kill yourself for the good of the community!

Tymell
11-10-2006, 13:30
Imagine a combination of wet dog and compost and you're about there. :eek:

Neither I, nor the two friends I was there with (and to help destroy any picture that is forming, one was female :rolleyes: ) noticed any smell other than the food stands. And yes, all three of us do wash regularly. I think people exaggerate that aspect every time.

Grimtuff
11-10-2006, 22:01
Neither I, nor the two friends I was there with (and to help destroy any picture that is forming, one was female :rolleyes: ) noticed any smell other than the food stands. And yes, all three of us do wash regularly. I think people exaggerate that aspect every time.

Seems you never went in the design studio area about 4 years ago AKA "the **** pit"

Plus they actually bothered to turn the air con on this year. Last UKGD it was stifling outside yet it was cooler than the interior of the building.

Azazel
17-10-2006, 01:19
... then wake up next to some ugly minger after a night of drunken intercourse.

Would that make her quite fit then?

Zzarchov
17-10-2006, 02:44
That movie made me cringe in fear that I may at all be that nerdy.

nanktank
17-10-2006, 12:16
Fellow Nerds, in fact anyone..

I would like to state IMHO the absolute reason that people mock us for what we do. It is the same reason people mock the minority, and in fact the ultimate, animal instinct for all of our humanity's shortfalls. Fear, yes indeed, our tormentors fear what we are, we are different from them, we don't subscribe to their idea of normal culture. In realising that we are different their beliefs are challenged, and rather than trying to reason things out and risk maybe accepting our perspective, it is easier for them mock us. Everybody human does it in some way or another to another human. The trick is to realise when we are doing it, pass a leadership test on 2d6...

Osbad
17-10-2006, 12:47
... or it could be just that we are weird...

UnRiggable
18-10-2006, 03:00
okay there are two general reasons for insulting.

1. Ignorance. There's always that one kid out of a crowd of twenty some amount of people at gw that has heavy acne. He is always described by the see-er (seer?). Then it evolves into a misconception that all people like acne
2. You understand it and think w/e its dumb.

the dark angel
18-10-2006, 19:30
well the insults are probably for it being a very complex game to some, and to many people who are sporty and think they are the best think that painting minis and playing on a tabletop with them is stupid and has no point but i will admit that it is slightly nerdy but im proud of saying this as i play warhammer on the boardgame a lot and dawn of war when i can not find a game or have spare time basically im a fanatic and then theres the black library novels i read :p ok back to subject...basicaly people think its nerdy and stupid...but can i ask why is it (it may only be my store) but all the veterans (those who have played for over 3 years) like heavy metal

geoffkemp
19-10-2006, 08:15
fortinatly near enough my entire social group plays GW stuff and does other geek things.

A few of the people on my team at work know I play, and only one, who I`m pretty sure has some sort of learning difficulties has tried mocking me, it doesn`t go anywhere.

Bretagne
19-04-2007, 20:37
when i first started, alot of my friends were turned off by how expensive the game was, and therefore made fun of me because i spent my money on what they thought was "forty dollars for like, on3 guy LOL." they were buying magic the gathering, which was cheaper, but not really once you factored in depreciation and the fact that it went out of style. they arent laughing at me now that they couldnt even GIVE those cards away while im sitting on two grand easy should i decide to sell my beloved models.

but i play it because its fun, not to get approval from the cool kids. now that im an adult, i meet people who think its cool. I mean, who doesnt like war?

Nurglitch
19-04-2007, 20:44
People who've had to live through it?

A neutral shade of black.
19-04-2007, 20:59
Whoa, there. Thread from the dead, much? :rolleyes:

Corrupt
19-04-2007, 21:22
Can't really add much but I've never really had any problems from people.

I think this is because

1) Im not socially inept or anything like that
2) I wash ;-) I even have long hair but thats washed more then some girls I know! ha :-D

Some of my friends give me the old "its a bit nerdy" but we always just laugh it off. I just explain how I bloody love painting the things up and is a great way to cool down and relax.

The people who I am with mostly are all intelligent guys (Music students at HND level) and some even come out the closet when I said Im into Warhammer, they go "woah, I did that when I was a kid!" So its quite funny in that respect. I guess I live quite a "normal" lifestyle - I enjoy going to see my local football team, Notts County, enjoy going out down town having a few beers and stuff, never had a problem with the ladies! Thats never affected my hobby as I like to lead a varied life I guess? lol

I've always been active in the local music scene for years and its scary how many muso's have been into Warhammer at some point, especially in the metal scene!

Hmm
Replace Notts County with Middlesbrough FC, Music Students with College Students A level and this is me.
Typing this while planning friday night with my girl.

Yeah I get some stick, but it's light hearted stuff really, same as I mock my friends for being gay/hip hop fans. we just abuse each other and laugh it off.
Noone really cares about me playing Warhammer beacue in other aspects I'm pretty normal. Popular, funny, sporty, I go out and have fun, dont really mention it apart from with other gamers or if a friend asks.
I guess a lot of the stick comes from bullies picking on the nerdy "ZOMG THE NEW PARINES ARE UBAR!!!!" types who have little else to do and thus are ripped to pieces. For me it's never been a mega problem really.

UltimateNagash
19-04-2007, 21:30
Whoa, there. Thread from the dead, much? :rolleyes:
Well, this thread was created by the Great Necromancer, right? :D

People have given up on making fun of me now... They've probably grown up...
And also I can leave school when I don't have lessons :) So I can avoid them ;)

t-tauri
19-04-2007, 21:38
Thread necromanced and closed.

t-tauri

The Warseer Inquisition