PDA

View Full Version : AT-43 shipping quality miniature photos

tabletopnews
04-09-2006, 16:17
Rackham sent along some photos of the actual shipping miniatures for their AT-43 game

You can check them out here:

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/?p=3166

Wolf Scout Ewan
04-09-2006, 16:32
Better get plenty of stripper then!

The Therians (sp) look ok though.

Rabid Bunny 666
04-09-2006, 16:38
Methylated Spirits, they don't melt plastic ;)

Methinks my Therians will me hunched, like the Artwork ones.

Suri_Mapother
04-09-2006, 16:44
Wow those look better than about 90% of the figures I see painted at the local stores.

Wolf Scout Ewan
04-09-2006, 16:48
Its not that they are badly painted... its just they look too untidy. Like skin colour where there shouldnt.

Frecus
04-09-2006, 17:39
Like ewan said, it looks untidy.

And besides, what if it isn't my color? I'd repaint those White-star guys either white, or forest-camo, but at least not with brown gloves. They spoil the job for me...

Frecus
The glade wanderer
Madwarrior

tabletopnews
04-09-2006, 17:41
Untidy is easy to deal with though. You can quickly go over and fill in colours or straighten out lines.

emperorpenguin
04-09-2006, 20:39
those are pretty poor paint jobs, where's the detail? :eyebrows:

Rabid Bunny 666
04-09-2006, 21:25
Hidden under layers of spray paint....

erion
04-09-2006, 21:34
Nothing a bit of quick drybrushing and washing won't clean up.

Pokpoko
04-09-2006, 21:49
meh. as someone said-they look terribly untidy(and while it can be helped with a bit of work, it sort of defeats the entire purpose of prepaints if you have to "touch up" the minis), but the worst is that, to me at least, the aliens look like something out of the "kinder suprise" egg.
again-meh.

nanite
05-09-2006, 05:03
Huh. Dissapointing. Only slightly better then current standards in pre-paint I think.

Mongoose may indeed have them beat.

New Cult King
05-09-2006, 06:08
You can't expect each miniature to be painstakingly hand painted to award-winning standards.

As far as pre-painted miniatures go, they compare *very* well to what I have seen of the D&D and Star Wars ones.

Senbei
05-09-2006, 06:57
We await the SST ones for comparison... lol

Sephiroth
05-09-2006, 07:12
We await the SST ones for comparison... lol

We've already seen the SST pre-paints. There are pictures of them in the thread about mongoose going pre-painted, which were shown in the original annoucement thread on their site.

We've only got their word for it those are the pre-paints, but it seems very unlikely they'd 'lie' considering how bad a business move that is - and very redundant to show off models we've seen before.

asmodai_dark86
05-09-2006, 12:52
We've only got their word for it those are the pre-paints, but it seems very unlikely they'd 'lie' considering how bad a business move that is - and very redundant to show off models we've seen before.

As I mentioned in that thread, the light MI were late.. and when they turned up they were in metal, and the transports still arent both available - they may not be lying, but then again if they bent the truth slightly I doubt there fans would care that much - GW fans are usually up in arms the moment a marine doesnt get released, Mongoose fans shrug and get on with it.

I've been on and off about AT-43, but I think I'll give it a go. The models look funky and some paint stripper will soon make em look nicer!

Rykion
05-09-2006, 17:43
We've already seen the SST pre-paints. There are pictures of them in the thread about mongoose going pre-painted, which were shown in the original annoucement thread on their site.

Mongoose has never claimed the pictures in the SST pre-paint thread are the finished product. They are factory produced test painted minis. Mongoose has claimed that the finished product should be of a similar quality. I have high hopes for Mongoose's pre-paints, but we haven't seen any production quality minis yet.

tabletopnews
05-09-2006, 18:03
To help answer some questions about the quality of the Therian minis I posted a larger image with some colour correction so people could see the detail on the Therian minis

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/?p=3188

erion
05-09-2006, 18:24
See, that color-corrected therian needs no work at all, AFAIC.

Can we get a shot like that of a White star Trooper?

tabletopnews
05-09-2006, 21:25
Can we get a shot like that of a White star Trooper?

I'm going to try to get large shots of all of them posted tonight.

Sephiroth
05-09-2006, 21:41
Mongoose has never claimed the pictures in the SST pre-paint thread are the finished product. They are factory produced test painted minis. Mongoose has claimed that the finished product should be of a similar quality. I have high hopes for Mongoose's pre-paints, but we haven't seen any production quality minis yet.

Actually, Msprange answered some questions in the thread about the pre-painted minis. Here are some of the posts he answered:

and these are ALL plastic? or just certain core releases?

Yup. All plastic. All pre-painted.

So the paint quality is that of all the pics in your post Matt? and as someone metioned earlier how easy witll it be to overpaint, can we toch up what is there with say Vellajo or GW paints or will we need to reprime before painting?

Last one, is the a guaranteed time the existing model range will be available for?

Yes, you are looking at the final paint quality - this is something we have worked very hard to achieve, principally because we saw the pre-painted samples from A N Other company. When they turned out to _not_ be the production quality, we were left holding these wicked creations in our hands :)

Those pre-painted Exosuits, Light Armour MI and Warrior Bugs all look amazing! I've been following Rackham's upcoming game, AT-43. Rackham are known for their quality, but your pre-painted miniatures simply blow their own out of the water! :shock:

I suppose they'll be more expensive though (their has to be a catch here somewhere)?

Rackham are keeping their cards close to their chest on pricing but, from what we have managed to work out, we should be cheaper. Also, if some recent photos of their production quality miniatures are to be believed, I think we will also have higher quality.

Funny story here - it has been the Rackham range that have driven us forward. We planned to do a pre-painted range of models and were using the latest WotC models as the baseline to beat (some of their later Star Wars stuff is not half bad). Then Rackham released the first photos of their new range.

Urk, we thought. They are a bit good.

So, we funnelled everything we could into development, trying to match the first photos Rackham released, thinking they were the production models.

Now it turns out they may not be - but we still have this production quality on our hands. . .

Anyway, back to pricing - our aim is to keep the price no more than you would pay for equivalent unpainted metals (which will actually be cheaper, as you don't need to buy paint, etc. . .).

Rykion
05-09-2006, 22:13
I know Matt has said that they have developed a high quality painting system, and that the finished miniatures should be of a similar quality to those in the pictures. Those are still not production models. Even though they were made by the factory, there can be a huge difference in quality between a limited run sent to the company execs and the mass produced final product. I hope the production minis end up being as good as Mongoose says and I plan to pick up a lot of Battlefield Evolution minis if they are.

I'm also very interested in AT-43. The Therian close up picture makes them look better.

erion
05-09-2006, 22:34
I'm going to try to get large shots of all of them posted tonight.

Sweet. Mecha Too?

tabletopnews
05-09-2006, 23:07
Sweet. Mecha Too?

I don't have any photos of the Walkers yet.

The White Star Leader close-up is here

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/?p=3197

erion
05-09-2006, 23:57
Ok.

This game is going to make Rackham millions of the currency of your choice.

Pokpoko
06-09-2006, 08:55
not sure-while the paintjob is looking better in the closeup(the therians especially), the therians still look like toys, and the guns on the whitestars are as bland as it gets(plus, if those mechas shown on the rack's page are anything like the production ones...i mean, they look like steam boiler). compared to the stuff Rack makes for the Confr. they just seem to lack character.